Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Eco lifestyle' complaining thread

Comments

• Options
    SambylaSambyla Posts: 31 Member
    I'm a bit underwhelmed, and to be honest, I don't often feel underwhelmed about new content.

I have a feeling the cleaning up aspect will be another 'tick box' adventure, i.e. 'Talk to 5 Sims about Recycling.' I find that type of gameplay dull and not replayable. Strangerville was like that, but Strangerville had some interesting features to its story. I really hope that once Sims give up on their eco friendly lifestyles the town will relapse.

I also have a feeling all of this is restricted to one world. It would be more fun if garbage or pollution spread to other worlds, like the weather. Seasons did it right. Seasons added unique weather systems to different areas and even added in ice rinks, drink stands etc into existing worlds. Could they add pollution and dumpsters the same way? I have a feeling they won't, and that is what is disappointing.

I want an expansion to expand my whole game, not add a pigeon hole adventure. Seasons was successful because it was an expansion in the proper sense. An expansion should be felt everywhere or in most aspects of your game, no matter how subtle. That's how I see an expansion vs a game pack.

But maybe I am jumping ahead. These are just thoughts.

That's well said. Seasons is the best expansion pack since it really expand entire game. If pollution would spread to all worlds I would definitely buying this pack, but now... I guess if they have something more for gameplay they would have already said it. I haven't seen any actually new content if we won't count some new interactive objects.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Candle making will be a new and fun crafting skill but the fact that candles melt was faked in the trailer (I really hope not but then again, they faked the photo frame in strangerville).

Now I'm curious, what did they pull off in the Strangerville trailer? I can't remember.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    The funny thing is again making candles are not eco friendly either .
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I read over the press release yesterday, and it's really mind boggling how much stuff they're referring to as "new" which has already been done before. Also, a lot of this sounds like a lot of flavor text that I don't think is going to translate into actual gameplay.

I'm putting this all in a spoiler box because it's quite long.

“We’re thrilled to give players the opportunity to explore an eco-friendly way of living in The Sims and play the change they want to see,” “By discovering and practicing sustainable habits, like using solar panels or wind turbines to power their electricity, or upcycling materials to create new furniture, players and their Sims can play with life in all-new ways.”

But we already have eco friendly ways of living. We have tiny homes, wash bins, growing food, off the grid lot trait. Plopping some solar panels or wind turbines isn't adding much new. And can't we already create our own furniture with the woodworking table. I don't use it much, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

Simmers can take it a step further and implement positive changes in their community through the new Community Voting Board, which features a variety of Neighborhood Action Plans each week such as encouraging installation of eco-friendly objects, supporting green initiatives, setting up a Community Space where everyone can craft or plant together, and even changing the way their neighborhood looks. Sims can also pursue new careers like a Civil Designer to inspire others to give back to the environment or check out a path as a Freelance Crafter to fill orders for your candles, fizzy juices, upcycled objects, and more.

Okay, but where's the gameplay? All of this sounds like just talking to people. Also, how much does anyone want to bet that that stuff like this is going to be among the first to display bugs. I can already imagine completely empty 'community spaces' with no sims other than the one's your controlling. Inspiring others to give back to the environment? Is that actual gameplay or just random dialogue that won't have any actual effect on the city. Honestly, a lot of this makes me think of the politician career from city living mashed with island living's conservation career.

The expansion pack introduces Evergreen Harbor, a unique new world where Sims have a direct influence on the state of the environment with every decision that they make. Sims can produce their own electricity and water with solar panels, wind turbines, and dew collectors, or grow their own food at home in a new vertical garden. In addition, Sims can decorate their homes with remade furniture, dress head to toe in clothes that are sustainably made from reclaimed materials, and even work towards having a living rooftop for a splash of bright color. Those who don’t mind the smell can also go dumpster diving to scrounge up pre-used objects and ingredients to repurpose for new, creative goods for their home.

Unique? How when Strangerville and Sulani already did the same thing? Your sims' actions effected the world in those packs too. Also, growing food at home isn't new. Changing the way the garden looks doesn't make it new gameplay. Dumpster diving isn't all that new either; we could already dig through the trash. Does dressing in trash clothes actually do anything, or is it just cosmetic? Also, this is the second time they mentioned the solar panels and wind turbines in the same post. Just something I noticed.

If players choose not to take action, they may see the bounds of nature retreat as junk accumulates on property and air pollution levels rise. Alternatively, the more Sims pitch in by picking up trash, maintaining a healthy garden, and using eco-friendly build materials, the more their world will transform as muddy waters become crystal clear, buildings bloom with greenery, and a shimmering aurora borealis reveals itself in the sky above them.

I.s.l.s.a.n.d L.i.v.i.n.g

As Sims explore all of the environmentally conscious efforts that The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle has to offer, they’ll have plenty of opportunity to learn more about how to maintain a sustainable lifestyle and collaborate with the community to make the most out of the resources they have. Simmers will be surprised by what a positive effect they can have on their world once they start making the rules.

Surprised? I think the trailer and this press release have told us everything that's going to happen once players play this story the way its programmed to be played. The overly exaggerated apocalypse world is going to look normal. And then there will be nothing left to do with the pack.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    The funny thing is again making candles are not eco friendly either .

You want organic and eco-friendly candles with cotton or wood wicks made from natural, vegetable ingredients like coconut wax, rapeseed wax, beeswax or soy wax.

http://makeitlast.se/2017/10/28/the-ultimate-guide-to-eco-friendly-and-toxic-free-candles/
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    And can't we already create our own furniture with the woodworking table. I don't use it much, but I thought I heard that somewhere.
    Yes, but it's really limited. You can't make a bed or a couch (without mods).

• Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    edited May 2020
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    I feel the team should release information about this pack earlier than they planned in order to quell some of the criticism and explain their decisions behind creating this pack. I don’t believe waiting 2 weeks to release more information via livestream is a great idea, personally (assuming that is their plan, of course). Sitting on pack info will probably make their lives harder.

I feel the timing is off (very reminiscent of MFPS and Cats and Dogs, actually) and the release of this pack was too soon after Tiny Living. I also believe that it should have been a Game Pack and after watching the trailer I’m still incredibly confused as to why they want to charge me 40 quid to pick up pixel rubbish!?

I honestly wonder if the community was given the heads up that a recycling/crafting Expansion was already in the works, if it would of shifted the voting for the Nifty Knitting stuff pack to a different theme. I literally read you can make your own clothes in this Expansion. At first I was like cool but then I started thinking, so why would they have arts and crafts as a choice for a Stuff pack and narrow it down to just knitting when they knew what they were already bringing to the table; while we all were in the dark. Everyone thought making clothes was going to be a new aspect in the game when in fact it was already planned in this Expansion. Knitting and refurbishing a rocking chair from junk could of easily been added to this Expansion pack.

I'm sorry but I just honestly got more sour about Happy Haunts and even though I didn't want farming as bad as most people I can sympathize.
    Post edited by NoirStasis on
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2020
    Edited to add: Not sure why the quote I intended to reply to isn't appearing as the right one...so I deleted it. In general, my remark is aimed at those who feel bad for the devs.

The devs are getting paid to do what they do. This isn't some generous, creative gift given by modders. I never understood feeling bad for being judged on their product -- that's what business is.

And, while we can choose to *not* buy their product, good businesses seek feedback of all kinds. So, I can't imagine the dev team only wants rainbows and unicorns. I would like to believe they are looking for all feedback.

That said, if people are providing feedback in a disrespectful way, well...sure, let's not do that. Maybe I missed some post somewhere? I haven't seen anything that warrants a "time out."
    Post edited by SAEldarin on
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2020
    CelSims wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

In other words, this "Expansion Pack" doesn't seem to actually expand the game. Hence why it should have been a Game Pack.

I'd love the option for it to impact every world. But... I wonder how many angry simmers would then be complaining about their long worked on favourite neighbourhood suddenly being a mess? OFC I'm going to wave the 'Toggles for Everything!' flag here again just like I do for occults :)

If it was a GP, which features do you think would be reasonable to cut out, to make it the GP price? I'd probably choose drink making and the community lot/voting thing. I bet that's someone else's favourite part of the pack though.

That's why I don't say anything about the packs not "expanding" besides toggles it's the only way to keep people from complaining about their game being ruined. Look what happened to vampires 😢
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Candle making will be a new and fun crafting skill but the fact that candles melt was faked in the trailer (I really hope not but then again, they faked the photo frame in strangerville).

Now I'm curious, what did they pull off in the Strangerville trailer? I can't remember.

They put a photo framed sitting on a table with more than two Sims in the picture in the trailer and even had the nerve to zoom in on it like it was going to be an added feature of the pack.

People got excited and said "are we able to have framed table photos now and take pictures with more than two Sims?" And one of the gurus said " oh no the framed table photo is just some trailer magic we made, the table photos aren't included in this pack and won't be in a free update either" I really think a lot of people like me expressed in the next survey that faking that stuff in trailers is so wrong.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member

They showed a photo frame that was not in the game, we did however end up getting something like that later. They called it "trailer magic" so I worry that the candles melting could be that as well.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    In other words, the people who are here "complaining" are doing so because they are passionate about the Sims franchise.

This is what I feel as well, sure some people and comments can feel negative, but that's because people care. The worst thing is actually when people don't care.

• Options
    CrazyNinjaCrazyNinja Posts: 24 Member
    I get that the team is trying to do something “new” and “never been done before.” I appreciate that effort, the game can’t evolve without new ideas and fresh gameplay.

That being said, I just don’t see where this pack fits in. I’m sure some people are excited about it, but from what I’ve seen around the community people do NOT want this EP. I won’t be buying, probably at all, because I feel like we already can do a lot of the things that they’re trying to sell in this pack. EPs should expand gameplay, add new features, basically be worth the $40 they’re asking us to pay.

Personally, I’m angry that they still are not listening to the community. A while ago we had a community survey with a lot of the same stuff that was on the recent one. Improved relationships, life states, new careers, worlds, etc. Those things are still not in game! I don’t understand why they have to ask us twice. Idk, it just feels like they have stopped caring and listening to what people want. The surveys feel like somewhat of a formality now.

Oh well, hopefully when more info is released the pack won’t seem as disappointing as it does now, though I still don’t think I will be buying.
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2020
    I need some more help here.

I went over to JM Sudsina's Twitter post so I could actually read the entirety of his thoughts. I then browsed the comments (yes, I am sipping my coffee thank you).

I saw someone posted that they are tired of seeing the devs criticized for their development of the game when they are restricted by EA who (basically) only gives them so much money to do their job.

What? Can someone help me to understand this? This particular consumer is defending the releases because the devs don't have the money to produce a quality game/pack? That makes zero sense in business. Fine if it's your friend who has an allowance.

The way I see it, EA would gladly and freely hand the devs more cash for game development if the consumers players demanded change. This type of feedback loop happens frequently in games where the consumer lets the business know what they want and what they will tolerate (Loot Boxes anyone?).

• Options
    In other words, the people who are here "complaining" are doing so because they are passionate about the Sims franchise.

This is what I feel as well, sure some people and comments can feel negative, but that's because people care. The worst thing is actually when people don't care.

I agree. I'll be the first to try to see the good in stuff that is being done, but I'm also going to voice how I feel and give constructive criticism of what I'm afraid this pack is going to do and not do as an Expansion like I have done with the others. I wont make a final decision until I see gameplay.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    NoirStasis wrote: »

They put a photo framed sitting on a table with more than two Sims in the picture in the trailer and even had the nerve to zoom in on it like it was going to be an added feature of the pack.

People got excited and said "are we able to have framed table photos now and take pictures with more than two Sims?" And one of the gurus said " oh no the framed table photo is just some trailer magic we made, the table photos aren't included in this pack and won't be in a free update either" I really think a lot of people like me expressed in the next survey that faking that stuff in trailers is so wrong.

They showed a photo frame that was not in the game, we did however end up getting something like that later. They called it "trailer magic" so I worry that the candles melting could be that as well.

Oh that sucks. They do love doing these...
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member

I went over to JM Sudsina's Twitter post so I could actually read the entirety of his thoughts. I then browsed the comments (yes, I am sipping my coffee thank you).

I saw someone posted that they are tired of seeing the devs criticized for their development of the game when they are restricted by EA who (basically) only gives them so much money to do their job.

What? Can someone help me to understand this? This particular consumer is defending the releases because the devs don't have the money to produce a quality game/pack? That makes zero sense in business. Fine if it's your friend who has an allowance.

The way I see it, EA would gladly and freely hand the devs more cash for game development if the consumers players demanded change. This type of feedback loop happens frequently in games where the consumer lets the business know what they want and what they will tolerate (Loot Boxes anyone?).

Not to mention that they keep doing free base-game giveaways, and this iteration of the Sims has made them the most money... ever??

They can't be that strapped for cash?

I'm sure there are some restrictions and limitations put on the team by EA - there always is in business. I worked in retail for many years and frequently had to tell customers that something was the way it was (and they didn't like it) because someone higher than me had made that decision. But feedback should promote change, and we have seen it in the past... I just don't understand the decision-making behind this pack. Whoooo thought it would be a good idea? Can we sit down and have a coffee together? Let's talk about the Sims... lol.

Ooft, I tell you what though, I am tired of being told "if you don't like it, don't buy it" - well yes, love, that will be the general plan.

The thing is, that means I'm now waiting even longer in hope for a possible pack that I might be interested in buying, after what has already been a pretty long content drought imo. The time and resources given to this pack could have been put elsewhere, and that makes me sad. So I shall express my disappointment and feedback, as is my right as a consumer.

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I think the timing of this pack went very wrong for the devs. When this was planned in 2018/19, Fridays for Future was a mega hype, pupils were protesting on the streets and they could expect warm affection from their 15 yo target group. Now Corona has temporarily killed all attention for the theme. The right pack for today should either distract people (farming, romance, pools) in a positive way or mirror the current situation with disaster, illness, isolation. Happy hipsters with an insect farm against pollution feel like fallen out of time.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @CK213 that was a fun story thanks for sharing🤗🤗🤗🤗
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    EA is hardly strapped for cash, they specifically call out Sims 4 as a top performer.
  • Options
    Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    One thing I have found lacking with the sims4 is how every sim is pretending to make a change when they actually aren't. So I worry a lot what other sims will do in this town. Maxis always fakes that every sim is doing something in their trailers. So will the community lots and the neighborhoods actually feature sims who tries to make a change, or will they do push-ups, practice singing and walk around in horribly generated situational outfits while the player is making changes by picking up trash?

I have the same question. What you just described is probably going to be what happens. You're going to try to hold a vote, a celebrity comes in, distracts everyone and the lot will spawn so many sims that they're going to have routing issues and won't be able to even vote. Also you'll probably just see sims coughing constantly when the world is polluted and walking around normally like they do in every sim town when Evergreen is cleaned up.

Also I remember the last time a thread like this was made and people came here to complain about people complaining. Can we all agree to ignore those people if they come to this thread?
  • Options

Making games takes time and requires people, which costs money. Some people suspect that the reason why Maxis uses the same animations and concepts instead of making entirely new things for the sims4 is because it would require more people and take longer and therefore cost more money, maybe more money than what they have agreed with EA to spend.

This could also be because the sims4 engine could be difficult to work with and requires time, when we see reused animations it is probably because they wanted to save time.

I completely agree with your statement, EA could easily give them more money, and possibly hire more people, however, it could be entirely possible that Maxis does not want that as well. Only the executives could tell you. But EA have a bad reputation of driving companies to the ground, maybe Maxis are worried that with more money and people, there also comes risks, that they do not want to take with the sims4.
  • Options
    Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    aiex wrote: »
    Thank you for making this thread! I think when people voted on an "Eco-Living" type theme, which is pretty broad, they were expecting something entirely different. More farming aspects, some more animals, solar panels, a world that has a more farm-like feel.. this is just my take on it. Instead, we get a world [which i'm guessing will have like, six lots on it, knowing TS4 LOL], some new interactive items [candle making does not contribute to gameplay whatsoever], and maybe some new CAS & build items. YAWN! Where is the stuff we want? Cars [which I believe we've been asking for since TS4 originally came out] more fleshed out age groups, how about a Generations EP which would add more interactions & a whole boatload of new gameplay aspects??? I'm just so disappointed and done with this game. I can't wait for Paralives to come out, because with the way things are turning out for TS4, I'm guessing TS5 won't be any better.

I definitely disagree. I don't get the connection between "Farming" and "Eco living" at all. In fact, farms are usually VERY bad for the environment.

Yeah. Large scale farming is, and I honestly don't see how that would fit into the Sims anyway. I think people are thinking self sufficiency and smallholding, maybe?

Farms are not bad for the environment.Which kinda farms you are referring too? The small or family own ones.Or the one's that are in factories? People want the local one's.

Large scale farms. Agricultural pollution is actually considered to be one major cause of pollution nowadays. It releases a lot of toxins into the water and our atmosphere, namely chemicals and pesticides. Livestock farming is particularly bad with the methane gasses. It also engulfs the land with deforestation. It puts a lot of pressure on our planetary health. This is to name a few problems.

Smallholding may be different though. I don't know the impacts of this. :smile:

Exactly. Fertilizer wreaks havoc on waterways and oceans, causing algae explosions and chokes fish to death. The need for excessive antibiotics to keep livestock from getting ill is causing incurable super bacteria. And so on and so forth.
    There are better (and older) methods, but they are not financially viable unless you want a doubled grocery bill every month.

Also, again, the connection between "Farming" and "Eco living" is strenuous at best. Also, the more high tech the better. "High tech" is not contradictory to Eco living at all:

Electric cars, solar panels, wind and water turbines, high tech low-energy / low water using washers, dryers, showers, stoves, fridges etc...

I agree completely. It's why when I brought up some things I would want in a farming pack I said that yes, there are some things in a farming pack that could be considered eco living, like composting. But farming doesn't equal eco living. And no/low technology doesn't exactly equal eco living. I want a low tech farming pack not because I think it's eco living but because there are some stories I want to play out and sims having phones without it being an option really makes it hard.