Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @CidyWolf I didn't use an 'address' for my build, it is a custom placed lot so I just say "Aurora Skies". No worries!

For free hosting I use Google photos, the only drawback is you can't link a "live" photo into your post. For my 'cover' photos in the post I use my wordpress account.

@Jessabeans I had lots of fun with this one thanks to the YUGE budget! I was even semi-trying to max it out and just couldn't! :lol: I actually had a whole other lot built up which I did like but it just lacked that oomph and I really, really wanted to use those roof pieces so this was actually my second build for the challenge!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    @Jessabeans - I LOVE that gingerbread house. It is so perfectly themed! Great layout and awesome CASt choices!

@CidyWolf - Just save a copy of your family to the bin and then, after moving in the family, you can choose the Edit Town option that splits up the household leaving your handy sim behind to work on upgrading. As far as addresses, if I place a lot with the world editor, I just look at the street name and numbers close by and make up something that fits. Also, I heartily agree with @Jessabeans suggestion of WordPress. I don't know much about tumblr, but I use WordPress all the time.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited December 2019
    @creativemetaphor I was very happy about it being a mini with a huge budget. I was low on time with it being the holidays but just had to give this one a try. After looking at your pictures I wish I had used up more of the budget on decor, I'm used to always being over budget and removing things on these.

Thank you Ciane!
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #221 - Nicholas's Little Problem
    NAME: Kgaff
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9352968
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/183138166@N05/albums/72157712190047253
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a
    LEVEL: intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST:30x30, 52 Bristlecone Lane Hidden Springs, 54,187
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    The house is exactly 44 squares on two levels, 25 squares down and 19 squares up.
    The front door is hidden on the side of the house off the side patio that has a fire pit. The first floor has a fireplace, kitchenette , dining table and a rocking chair for reading in front of the fireplace. A ladder leads to the second floor bedroom that contains an all-in-one bathroom, a bunkbed with a desk and dresser underneath. There is a comfy chair with ottoman for watching tv.
    The landscaping includes a few festive holiday items as well as poppies, fir trees, holly bushes and trees.
    There is a pond out back that hopefully will freeze over for ice skating.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: not necessary, just keep the challenges coming
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:n/a
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)n/a
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)n/a
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)n/a
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)
    49214419671_cb709c1bca_z.jpg
    49214532276_3f709b414b_z.jpg
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    So glad to see all the different builds! I am reserving comments until after I build mine. I am working on a few builds, but they don't seem special, so I may be on a 3rd soon. Hopefully that one is the right one lol
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @Kgaff That's adorable! The landscaping/decor under and around your front windows is just so perfect! Not sure why that in particular stuck out to me but it did :)

@iampes23 Can't wait!
  • Options
    @Kgaff - I really love your landscaping and the way you were able to incorporate the snow globe and snowman into the build on the outside and the Christmas tree, presents, wreaths, etc. on the inside. I also love the flooring! Nice touch. You got a lot in your little build and I love that it has two levels.
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,148 Member
    Hi All! I've had this thread bookmarked for awhile but have never entered any of the challenges before. I guess it's because I'm always busy doing a build for the DNA team, lol. But this one was more doable because it's tiny and sounded fun so I'm gonna enter. :) Just need to do my pictures and will get it posted later today or tomorrow.

Just took a peek at the entries so far, and all so cute! Will look more in detail after I get mine posted. :)
  • Options
    I love your landscaping @Kgaff! I love the little outdoor dining area and the pond is just perfect.

I'm happy you were able to participate @Sandraelle!
  • Options
    CidyWolfCidyWolf Posts: 68 Member
    @creativemetaphor
    @ciane
    @Jessabeans

Thank you for your help.

I think I'm done. Each time I place the lot the price seems to change, but it stays under 65k. I don't want to add anything to it for this reason.

My build has closed interior space, but it could be expanded by a few tiles to inaccessible exterior walls in some areas (dead space). Is that ok?

I still need to decide where to put pictures. Taking pictures might actually be a good idea too :D
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    NAME: CidyWolf
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9353030
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://cidywolf.home.blog/2019/12/14/build-n-share-challenge-221-nicholass-tiny-problem/
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: na
    LEVEL: beginner
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x30, 35 Aibell Avenue Dragon Valley, $61,996
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The North Pole is rough terrain. To build you have to work with what you got. As the elevation gets higher the temperature falls and you get a bit more snow. I didn't soften the mountain terrain because I thought it looked like a glacier as well. There are no interior stairs. You must brave the trek up and down the mountain to get to each floor. Each floor has a fireplace. The stairs and bridge worked when I tested it. The river is not big enough to skate on. Sims prefer to cross frozen water more than the safety of the bridge. It's not very cheery looking on the outside, but blends into it's surroundings. Holiday colors used on the interior.
    First floor 20.5 Tiles: Dining, kitchen and living areas with a bookshelf and TV. No sink, but there is a dishwasher and a well outside. Garbage is is just outside the front door.
    Second floor 9 Tiles: Bathroom
    Third floor 14 Tiles: Bedroom and dresser with two doors.
    43.5 Interior Tiles
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, I know I need it.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: na
    TWITTER TAG: na
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: na
    TUMBLR LINK: na
    75c65f812676881be1b6811a222e1b9232a9d798.jpg
    f60ae55f870299a8446dca5d59058fd163874a37.jpg
    Post edited by CidyWolf on
  • Options
    It appears WordPress will only allow viewers to your "free" blog if you invite them?
    It says it's private. I checked on my phone and images and links were not working.

Here is the link if anyone wants to try it https://cidywolf.home.blog/2019/12/14/build-n-share-challenge-221-nicholass-tiny-problem/
  • Options
    CidyWolf wrote: »
    It appears WordPress will only allow viewers to your "free" blog if you invite them?
    It says it's private. I checked on my phone and images and links were not working.

Here is the link if anyone wants to try it https://cidywolf.home.blog/2019/12/14/build-n-share-challenge-221-nicholass-tiny-problem/

Wordpress is set to private by default;

Go to My Site → Manage → Settings and look for Privacy on the General tab. You can set it to public if you've verified the email address you signed up with.
  • Options
    romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited December 2019
    Hi All! I’m not really good at tiny homes but since this one had such a huge budget it worked great for my limited time right now.

Drat, I knew someone else would do a Gingerbread Cottage :o but …. Here’s my version with gumdrops (or jelly beans) and candy canes. :D

NAME: romagi1
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9353048
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VwDrCpVJ3TP3zBDv9
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A
    LEVEL: Advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20 x 30. Hidden Springs, $53,795
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The build is 44 tiles. I have a 6 x 3 section and a 4 x 6 section with a 2 tile bump out for the fireplace. It’s made so the elf’s can have a friend sleep over or 2 can share it. It’s all been upgraded to fireproof and unbreakable tho it does have a smoke alarm behind the fridge and the burglar alarm on the front porch behind the tree.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: I’ve never entered before and really I just thought it would make a cute Christmas build so whatever you feel like or have time for or not.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: N/A
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: N/A
    TUMBLR LINK: N/A

d0lSLRw.jpg

Post edited by romagi1 on
  • Options
    Jessabeans wrote: »

Wordpress is set to private by default;

Go to My Site → Manage → Settings and look for Privacy on the General tab. You can set it to public if you've verified the email address you signed up with.

@Jessabeans

I verified my email and the privacy options are greyed out and it says "Your site hasn't been launched yet. It's private; only you can see it until it is launched." To launch it I have to buy a domain and I can only invite viewers with emails or usernames. Maybe they have changed it recently. I will check it again tomorrow. Hopefully it will fix itself LOL

• Options
    edited December 2019
    @creativemetaphor, Winter Palace in D Minor is magical indeed! I love those roof pieces and have only been able to use a few of them myself. Great build to get to use them on!

@ciane! How is it that your Mini Housing looks so roomy compared to mine! You have managed to get lots of goodies in your lot! Well done!

@Jessabeans, your whole house just looks so yummy! The siding you chose goes perfect for a Gingerbread home and I love the floor layout!

@Kgaff, how cute! I love that fence and gate and you used the toy shelves! Excellent use of wall décor and landscaping!

@CidyWolf great out of the box (cottage) thinking! Great use of the moss covered stairs! I didn’t even realize we had an elf sign! Great find!

@Sandraelle, Hi Sandy!
    Post edited by romagi1 on
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited December 2019
    My house is finished. I have taken the "summer" pics and am waiting for winter...this might take a while. It is after 4 am, so I will check out all the houses soon. From what I have glanced at, we have some very unique tiny homes! Great job so far--and we still have another half of a month to go!
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    ** waves **
    Hello everyone :)

Saw a bit of activity in this thread when I got on last night ... lovely!
    Your challenge looks like fun @iampes23 ... thank YOU for hosting!

A tiny home is intriguing and a wee bit scary, too ... having not successfully built one before.
    44 squares ... my eraser worked almost as much as my pencil did! LOL

The shell is built and I'm fairly confident I can finish this before the end of the month. ** fingers crossed **
    Will oooh and ah over the ones y'all built after mine is done or I'll be influenced by this, that and the other.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I'm not sure what you did @CidyWolf, but check this out:

https://wordpress.com/pricing/
    The personal one is NOT free, but the FREE one at the top is.

That said, I love your build. It's super creative.

@romagi1 - I always love your builds and this is no exception. It's such a pretty gingerbread home with everything it needs in a great layout.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Thanks @romagi1 I love your layout, using an L shape really separates the bedroom from the main area more. I always love your builds, and seeing all your charming details and landscaping with your lovely bridge on a mini is just wonderful. The gumdrop chimney is so adorable but all the decor and details are just perfect. I'm so happy you could participate.

I love your build @CidyWolf it reminds me of minas tirith which is so impressive on a mini lot. The stairs going into the mountainside look wonderful.

Looking forward to your lot Addy, I'm happy you could participate!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #221 - Nicholas's Tiny Problem
    NAME: Sandraelle
    LINK TO LOT: Candy Cane Cabin
    LINK TO MEDIA: PICTURES
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A
    LEVEL: Advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x20 lot , Riverview, Ely Court, $46,207
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Sparky, one of Nicholas' elves, was so excited to leave the dormitory where he shared space with all the other elves and move into his tiny log cabin. The tiny floor plan is suited just for him and is decorated in red, white and green and he's already decorated for Christmas. The stepping stones lead to the front porch with a side entrance where you're greeted by a mistletoe and a Christmas wreath on the front door. It enters into a tiny open space with a full kitchen, a little living room for watching tv and reading, a stovepipe fireplace to cozy up to and a place to eat in front of the windows. To save on space, the bedroom has a tiny "all-in-one bathroom" and a convenient screen door to access the back porch. Since the interior space is so small, Sparky had to put the Christmas tree on the back porch, but he doesn't mind because Nicholas surprised him with a heat lamp as a housewarming present, so now he can sit and enjoy the tree no matter what the temp is. A ladder leads up to an upper deck with a telescope for better views; as you can see he's already been drawing on his easel. The backyard has a pond for him to enjoy, a bbq and a horseshoe court. (Upgraded and fireproofed.)

Merry Christmas, from Sparky the Elf

43 squares total: living/kitchen = 31 squares and bedroom/bath = 12 squares

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: This is my first time entering, so sure, I can always improve.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: N/A
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: N/A
    TUMBLR LINK: N/A

Una8846.jpg

p4346Qz.jpg
    Post edited by Sandraelle on
  • Options
    @Jessabeans @ciane I fixed WordPress LOL Thank you for your help and patience. My submission post has been updated. I have selective reading and missed a step. It didn't help that I was doing like four things at once last night :D . Also, thank you for your comments. Your builds are always so impressive! <3

@romagi1 Thank you. Your build is super sweet! I never know what to do with the rock wallpaper you used. Great idea!

It's exciting to see so many participate in this challenge. Everybody's builds are fabulous. I feel sorry for the judges.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    @Sandraelle - I love the log cabin and rock look together. Your outdoor porches and balcony add a lot of extra usable space. It's a charming lot for Sparky.

@CidyWolf - I'm glad you got the wordpress problem solved. Your pics are great! I especially love the rock floors and walls.
  • Options
    Wow, it's amazing to see how everyone utilizes these tiny spaces, and such different styles and creativity!! Well done everyone. Got everyone recommended that uploaded so far.

@creativemetaphor , Winter Palace in D Minor certainly looks palatial for it's tiny size. Very colorful and great use of those roofing pieces (which I've yet to use), and I love those curtains you used.

@ciane, your floor plan looks so much more spacious than mine and seems you were able to fit in quite a bit in the allotted space, even a pizza oven and 3 dining seats! I like the kitchen cabinetry you chose and those kitchen windows.

@Jessabeans , your Gingerbread House Kit looks just like one! So adorable and I love the wall textures you used, perfect choice!

@Kgaff , love the name you chose for your lot, haha! Great curb appeal and love all the landscaping. That's cool that you were able to fit the Christmas tree in on the inside.

@CidyWolf , wow, your lot looks so big! Slippery Descent was the perfect name choice. And how cool that you even have a fireplace in the bathroom and good idea to use the Gnome sign in the bedroom, lol. Those stairs you used go perfect with that type of build.

@romagi, your Gingerbread Cottage is so cute, especially using those windows! I love that little bridge over the pond, so adorable. Great use of colors and textures, looks just like a gingerbread house. I love the texture you chose for the fireplace, very clever! What floor pattern is that in the bathroom?

Look forward to seeing entries from @iampes23 and @ADWilson .
  • Options
    @Sandraelle, Cute cabin Sandy! Loving that gumdrop tree! Yours is really roomy too! How is it that everyone else can do such great mini's and mine are always so crowded looking! LOL
    iampes23 wrote: »
    My house is finished. I have taken the "summer" pics and am waiting for winter...this might take a while. It is after 4 am, so I will check out all the houses soon. From what I have glanced at, we have some very unique tiny homes! Great job so far--and we still have another half of a month to go!

Rats! I need summer pics too! Well, it's suppose to snow tonite so I should have time to load the game.

Sandy I wasn't sure what level I should be either. Kept looking at all the fabulous builds and they all set theirs at intermediate so that's what I went with. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top