Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I'm pretty irked to find out about the dorm living. I wanted to throw a bunch of my sims into a dorm and play them rotationally. I don't want to go to university and play a household of 8 sims. I would have preferred it to be more like the apartments in CL and play which sim in the building I want to play at the time. Now I'll probably have to make dorms in half the neighborhoods I have just to get as many sims involved in college as I want. I have about 40 I was going to take to college all together then have them go onto make new friendships, relationships etc. Guess I will just have to make a bunch of college towns in previous neighborhoods. Wish they would have just extended the apartment living style to dorms. They could have made a common area with kitchen and bathrooms. I find it odd that there's no kitchen either. What if my sim is going to get a culinary arts degree? They have to read a book to gain the skill of cooking? I mean sure it's doable but it would have been so much cooler to cook big meals for the dorm to gain cooking skill and feed your friends.

Yeah, the dorms are going to take some getting used to.

Personally, I'm going to miss the way time stopped between households in Sims 2 so that I could switch between dorms and Greek Houses and advance all of my students exactly as I wanted without missing any semester time with any of them. I like to send a lot of Sims from different households to college together so that they can meet and hook up and have better relationship dramas, lol.

I'm hoping there's still a way to manage a variety of dorms at the same time rotationally without students getting booted out. I want to fill the campuses with my own Sims and see them around and be able to invite them to parties or have rivalries.

Which reminds me...I wonder if the Get Together clubs work on campus?
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    logion wrote: »
    What I really wonder is what is going to happen after a while, will sims that are students stay when they are done or will the game just keep them there?

From what I have seen from videos there are two pre-made households that are living in dorms when you start up the game, will they just be kicked out?

If you have aging on, Sims that are unplayed and enrolled in Uni will go through their studies and come out with a degree (though not high marks). Once they 'graduate', they'll be moved into the Other Households tab.

If you move your Sim into a dorm that already has a household in it, they'll become your active household. You can of course evict them before you move into that dorm & then they'll just be in the households but "Not in World".

At least that's how I understand it.

Is that really how it works? That's awful. So if you want a good degree you either have to turn aging off or only play that one Sim. Ugh.

How is that a bad thing? Aging was off by default in sims 2/3 for college, now it's optional.

i thought you could turn ageing off in all thee games
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    What I really wonder is what is going to happen after a while, will sims that are students stay when they are done or will the game just keep them there?

From what I have seen from videos there are two pre-made households that are living in dorms when you start up the game, will they just be kicked out?

If you have aging on, Sims that are unplayed and enrolled in Uni will go through their studies and come out with a degree (though not high marks). Once they 'graduate', they'll be moved into the Other Households tab.

If you move your Sim into a dorm that already has a household in it, they'll become your active household. You can of course evict them before you move into that dorm & then they'll just be in the households but "Not in World".

Is that really how it works? That's awful. So if you want a good degree you either have to turn aging off or only play that one Sim. Ugh.

How is that a bad thing? Aging was off by default in sims 2/3 for college, now it's optional.

The sims 2 you could only turn off aging with a cheat, but to be fair because house holds are frozen whilst you aren’t playing them. In the sims 3 you can turn aging off.
  • Options
    July7601GirlJuly7601Girl Posts: 33 Member
    it's sad and also hilarious that the sims 4 community has gotten to the point of making complaint forums for expansions that have yet to be released. what's even sadder is that the complaints for the most part aren't even unfounded.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited November 2019
    BabySquare wrote: »
    KayeStar wrote: »
    poplopflop wrote: »
    So because there were rabbitholes in sims 1,2,3... It's ok for sims 4 to have rabbitholes? I don't get that logic at all. The Sims 4 should be an improvement. Why should we have rabbitholes AND loading screens in 2019?
    The excuse "well it would have been boring to see them in class" ??? Why does it have to be boring? Art classes aren't boring(sculpting, ect) science class isn't boring (frog dissection, ect.) They could have made it fun and engaging if they tried, but no just rabbitholes... And some people are happy about it... In 2019...
    For starters, there are simmers who like rabbit holes...

What art and science classes have you been in?

Yes, different things make different people happy. Who knew?

I for one much perfer them.

I'm the opposite, I prefer gameplay in my video game.

So do I. :/

I obviously qualify gameplay differently than you do.

I don't know about you, but since sims 1 we've had rabbit holes for these things- it's what I'm used to and I'm perfectly OK with what I'm used to.

The Sims 1 was 2000 and The Sims 2 University was 2005. The Sims 3 had live classes in 2013.

"We've always had rabbit holes" doesn't mean we need to always have them. You'd think that with a new iteration they'd at least try.

There is no timeline where rabbit holes are gameplay.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

The sims 2 you could only turn off aging with a cheat, but to be fair because house holds are frozen whilst you aren’t playing them. In the sims 3 you can turn aging off.

I remember. ageing on/off cheat in the sims 2.
    I turn ageing off anyway most of the time in the sims 4.
    playing one sim at a time is unfortunate :#
    I like to play build my own shared house with at least 4 sims in university in TS2/TS3
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2019
    This isn't an attack on anyone's game playing style. Everyone is entitled to play TS4 how they want to, but I think people have become so used to what we've had in previous packs and what's normal that they're not thinking outside of the box anymore. One of the biggest complaints that people seem to have about TS4 is that it doesn't stand out. It doesn't really feel like it's own game. There are so many things that EA game could have done to make this game unique, and that includes (at least to me) making a lot of things standard that EA didn't make standard. If they had done that they could have focused on new ideas. Of course it's hard when you start off with a limited gaming engine to begin with, but it's almost 2020 and given what modders can do and have done for this game I'm not buying a lot of the excuses that EA throws our way. EA shot themselves in the foot trying to make TS4 an online game and then having to change it at the last minute even if they won't admit it. I'm still convinced that if they hadn't of done that people would not have as many complaints about this game as they do. Of course there would still be people who didn't like the game and would complain, but I don't think it would be anywhere as bad as it is now.
    Post edited by 2fab4uboo on
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    edited November 2019
    kids can't play ping pong? let this meme express how kids in this game must feel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyC8vrerXEQ
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    This isn't an attack on anyone's game playing style. Everyone is entitled to play TS4 how they want to, but I think people have become so used to what we've had in previous packs and what's normal that they're not thinking outside of the box anymore. One of the biggest complaints that people seem to have about TS4 is that it doesn't stand out. It doesn't really feel like it's own game. There are so many things that EA game could have done to make this game unique, and that includes (at least to me) making a lot of things standard that EA didn't make standard. If they had done that they could have focused on new ideas. Of course it's hard when you start off with a limited gaming engine to begin with, but it's almost 2020 and given what modders can do and have done for this game I'm not buying a lot of the excuses that EA throws our way. EA shot themselves in the foot trying to make TS4 an online game and then having to change it at the last minute even if they won't admit it. I'm still convinced that if they hadn't of done that people would not have as many complaints about this game as they do. Of course there would still be people who didn't like the game and would complain, but I don't think it would be anywhere as bad as it is now.

I agree.

I've often thought this game would have been vastly improved if some of the modders we know and admire had been part of the development team.
    I think people have become so used to what we've had in previous packs and what's normal that they're not thinking outside of the box anymore.

I understand what you're saying here, and while I do agree, what also happens is that people get used to something being a certain way and don't want it to change, sometimes because they're genuinely happy with things as they are.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    A point I wanted to make earlier but forgot; ideally in the sims 4 (and maybe something for the devs to think about with hopefully sims 5) is to make all careers (that aren't work from home) and education like the GTW careers - if DU had a pop up when a sim was due to go to class giving the player the choice to accampany them there, or not/treat it as a rabbit hole, that would I think satisfy a lot more players.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I find it odd that there's no kitchen either. What if my sim is going to get a culinary arts degree? They have to read a book to gain the skill of cooking? I mean sure it's doable but it would have been so much cooler to cook big meals for the dorm to gain cooking skill and feed your friends.

This! I get that maybe in the dorms (ie the penthouse lots that are meant to be like halls of residence) you wouldn't be allowed a stove, but why not in the general residential university housing? I lived in Halls with a dining room for my first year, so only had access to a microwave, but when I moved into student housing I had a full on kitchen. It's going to be really annoying for Culinary arts students to build their skill. Although I suppose I could make a community lot cookery 'skills lab' with stoves for students to use...

Because they’re all the same lot type 🙄 If they made Dorms and University Housing separate lots then yeah. But they’re not, if you want a stove then you’ll just have to live in plain old residential housing.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Like midnight said, however, specifically what I mean is, aging in university is off by default in sims 2/3. you can't turn it on while in college.

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member

I agree.

I've often thought this game would have been vastly improved if some of the modders we know and admire had been part of the development team.
    I think people have become so used to what we've had in previous packs and what's normal that they're not thinking outside of the box anymore.

I understand what you're saying here, and while I do agree, what also happens is that people get used to something being a certain way and don't want it to change, sometimes because they're genuinely happy with things as they are.

You can be happy with the way things are but still give people option. As the case with classes. You can have BOTH rabbitholes and the classes that you can go to, but that's the problem with EA they just want to keep doing the same things, and they've stopped improving on what we have. I understand that it's impossible to give everybody everything they want, but where and when you can give people options you should give them options and in the case of classes but EA didn't do that because they are no longer trying to be innovative they are more concerned with making money than making a quality game.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    A point I wanted to make earlier but forgot; ideally in the sims 4 (and maybe something for the devs to think about with hopefully sims 5) is to make all careers (that aren't work from home) and education like the GTW careers - if DU had a pop up when a sim was due to go to class giving the player the choice to accampany them there, or not/treat it as a rabbit hole, that would I think satisfy a lot more players.

@BabySquare as long as Sims still progressed through active careers even if the player doesn’t join them. Presently, Sims in most of the active careers (Acting, Doctor, Detective — I’m not sure about Scientist) make very little (if any) progress towards promotions it they are unaccompanied.

• Options

@BabySquare as long as Sims still progressed through active careers even if the player doesn’t join them. Presently, Sims in most of the active careers (Acting, Doctor, Detective — I’m not sure about Scientist) make very little (if any) progress towards promotions it they are unaccompanied.

True, it would need to be tweaked somehow, but the either/or nature of those careers is what I think could be applied elsewhere.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    For what I've seen, this is by far the worst University EP in the series. It feels like a hodgepodge of reskinned features from other packs. It has no personality whatsoever. The Sims 2 University focused on dorm life and fraternities; The Sims 3 focused on social groups and campus activities like protests and practical classes. This one doesn't seem to be focusing on anything in particular. Like most TS4 EPs, it's lacking DEPTH and engaging gameplay.

I'm shocked they decided to add so many majors and make all of them almost exact copies of each other. After TS3 made each major have their own unique flavor, this feels like a massive regression to TS2's days in which the only difference between one major and another was the icon, text and skills. But TS2 had a lot of interesting gameplay in other aspects of the game, which this EP seems to be lacking as well.

Not to mention the laziness of it all by not including any traits, and barely any new gameplay objects. The Sims 2 included bands, party stuff, pool tables, small electronics, new gym equipment, etc. The Sims 3 UL included a pong table, bonfires, juice keg, bowling alleys, pool tables, arcade machines, barista bars, bunk beds, murphy beds, kicky bags, photo booths, mini fridges, vending machines, etc. This one includes a soccer ball, a pong table, robotic stuff, juice keg, mini fridge and... THAT'S IT. It's absolutely ridiculous how little INTERACTIVE content TS4 EPs have.
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member

Yes, but that would require the developers to do lots of programming, which they apparently aren't given the time or money for, unfortunately.
    Rabbit holes are presumably easier on the game engine as well.
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    it's sad and also hilarious that the sims 4 community has gotten to the point of making complaint forums for expansions that have yet to be released. what's even sadder is that the complaints for the most part aren't even unfounded.

LOL! It is not released but we see the livestream, see the videos from youtubers. And we knows how few and free is this datadisc!
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited November 2019
    Hey folks just popping in here to remind people that the purpose of this thread isn't to debate why you think people should like the pack. The thread is for those who wish to discuss things they don't like or don't think they will like. Let's keep it on topic alright? :smile:
  • Options
    sillehbeesillehbee Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2019
    I wasn't going to buy DU, but then I had a horrible experience on the forum for Planet Zoo trying to give some feedback about the game. I have such an appreciation for the community behind the sims and how unproblematic the game is, and now I just want to buy DU at midnight release and make all my sims go to college. 😩 I just really wish Maxis would put more effort into the expansion packs.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    sillehbee wrote: »
    I wasn't going to buy DU, but then I had a horrible experience on the forum for Planet Zoo trying to give some feedback about the game. I have such an appreciation for the community behind the sims and how unproblematic the game is, and now I just want to buy DU at midnight release and make all my sims go to college. 😩

That surprises me. I've never had issues with either the Planet Coaster or the Zoo community (granted, not very active in the latter). What happened? Maybe there's something some Zoo players here can do to help :)

Feel free to send me a private message so as to not derail the thread.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    @sillehbee Planet Zoo looks like a good game from what I see. Don't let the bullies drive you out as there might be a way of blocking or ignoring them so that you don't see the trolls. If you get the same on here you can report them or put them on Ignore in your preferences as the moderators here are stricter on this game forum.

I'm buying DU as well and will leave any complaints, if any, 'til I play it a while. Happy Simming!
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I'll have to admit, after seeing some of the game changer's footage and comments, things look a lot better than I was expecting. Still not worth $40 in my opinion but I'm not a university player and never have been in any sims game. I played TS2 through uni maybe 3 times before I just starting making all of my teens skip it (and they all had aspiration failures over it *eyeroll* because everyone always goes to uni IRL...) and I never even bothered with it in TS3. TS2 uni added so many objects and clothes and other things I could play with though so I never really felt ripped off with it. They did a good job with it, it just wasn't my thing. *shrugs*

This version seemed like it was going to be a lot worse. Their marketing tactics were a little odd this time and made me fear the worse for the fans that have been waiting on this. Especially since this is probably the most player anticipated pack since seasons. It's still not looking like anything I want that much so I might pick it up on a sale down the road but it does look better than I had expected now, I'll give it that. The livestream did it no favours in my opinion. I was already on the fence about getting it on a sale and that livestream pushed me off into a hard no. Good thing they have the game changers because now I'm back on the fence again, although, I'll still be waiting for a sale. I just want the robots...
    Glad I'm not the only one. University is one of the most popular packs of the series in general, and I've always felt like an oddity for never caring for it.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    I'll have to admit, after seeing some of the game changer's footage and comments, things look a lot better than I was expecting. Still not worth $40 in my opinion but I'm not a university player and never have been in any sims game. I played TS2 through uni maybe 3 times before I just starting making all of my teens skip it (and they all had aspiration failures over it *eyeroll* because everyone always goes to uni IRL...) and I never even bothered with it in TS3. TS2 uni added so many objects and clothes and other things I could play with though so I never really felt ripped off with it. They did a good job with it, it just wasn't my thing. *shrugs*

This version seemed like it was going to be a lot worse. Their marketing tactics were a little odd this time and made me fear the worse for the fans that have been waiting on this. Especially since this is probably the most player anticipated pack since seasons. It's still not looking like anything I want that much so I might pick it up on a sale down the road but it does look better than I had expected now, I'll give it that. The livestream did it no favours in my opinion. I was already on the fence about getting it on a sale and that livestream pushed me off into a hard no. Good thing they have the game changers because now I'm back on the fence again, although, I'll still be waiting for a sale. I just want the robots...
    Glad I'm not the only one. University is one of the most popular packs of the series in general, and I've always felt like an oddity for never caring for it.

Right? It's so mundane! (IMO) *yawn* That doesn't mean it can't have other good gameplay or objects or CAS in the packs though. TS2 still had things I liked, even after I decided that uni was a grind I didn't want to do. This pack looks ok. If someone was interested in uni, it probably could do the job but there still does feel like a lot is missing for a $40 pack. I'm feeling more like it's a game pack. Even then, for me, it's more like a stuff pack. Ha!
    Origin ID: Peapod79