Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Spikefan74 wrote: »
    From the let's play, when you join a dorm you get people added to your household. I don't want a bigger family just to go to school lol.

You can only play one household at a time in a dorm. So if there already is an existing one, which there is when you start the game, there are two pre-made households. Then you will merge with that household.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    PreCiious wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkdK5LMWlo

I thought this was a really good Video.

I also dislike the fact that there are so many recycled assets. Even with the food... they couldnt be bothered to change the texture of the ramen . Wasnt this a thing in Island Living, where the coconut cake looked the same as the white cake. LAZZZYYY.

Or talking about recycling stuff.... shower wohoo is the same as closet wohoo... oh man.

Crying in the toilet stall... Is this even a thing or just trailer magic? I mean why do they have to add so many stuff that arent even in the game. I mean they really exaggerate theyre trailer. Its annoying.

I tried to watch the video, but the audio/video being out of sync made it unbearable for me.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    logion wrote: »
    What I really wonder is what is going to happen after a while, will sims that are students stay when they are done or will the game just keep them there?

From what I have seen from videos there are two pre-made households that are living in dorms when you start up the game, will they just be kicked out?

If you have aging on, Sims that are unplayed and enrolled in Uni will go through their studies and come out with a degree (though not high marks). Once they 'graduate', they'll be moved into the Other Households tab.

If you move your Sim into a dorm that already has a household in it, they'll become your active household. You can of course evict them before you move into that dorm & then they'll just be in the households but "Not in World".

At least that's how I understand it.

Is that really how it works? That's awful. So if you want a good degree you either have to turn aging off or only play that one Sim. Ugh.
  • Options
    I really wonder how it will work with the population, will the game generate random sims and roomates with the tag ”students” that will be there forever or will they actually be students and leave after a week? And how will that work with organizations? If one of my sims join an organization, and then stops becoming a student, will that sim show up in that organization when I am playing another sim?
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    I really wonder how it will work with the population, will the game generate random sims and roomates with the tag ”students” that will be there forever or will they actually be students and leave after a week? And how will that work with organizations? If one of my sims join an organization, and then stops becoming a student, will that sim show up in that organization when I am playing another sim?

I think it will generate random Sims to have enough students. I got that vibe by watching Vixellas Gameplay Overview. Where every Sim walked in her dorm. But i dont really know.
    Population in this game is a nightmare, so no exception here i guess.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    What’s the difference between clubs and organisations?
  • Options
    What I really wonder is what is going to happen after a while, will sims that are students stay when they are done or will the game just keep them there?

From what I have seen from videos there are two pre-made households that are living in dorms when you start up the game, will they just be kicked out?

If you have aging on, Sims that are unplayed and enrolled in Uni will go through their studies and come out with a degree (though not high marks). Once they 'graduate', they'll be moved into the Other Households tab.

If you move your Sim into a dorm that already has a household in it, they'll become your active household. You can of course evict them before you move into that dorm & then they'll just be in the households but "Not in World".

Is that really how it works? That's awful. So if you want a good degree you either have to turn aging off or only play that one Sim. Ugh.

How is that a bad thing? Aging was off by default in sims 2/3 for college, now it's optional.

• Options
    What really bothers me the most is children not being able to ride bikes. Also, it doesn't seem like they added anything for teens. I expected some after school activities to return, or even private/boarding schools.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I think it will generate random Sims to have enough students. I got that vibe by watching Vixellas Gameplay Overview. Where every Sim walked in her dorm. But i dont really know.

If the game will generate random sims to be new students every week...then oh boy, that will be a nightmare.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited November 2019

I think the difference by watching James Turner and Elliandras Video is that you have to do certain tasks, and can kinda level up.
    In the club system you can decide when the group is gonna meet up, while in organisations it is already set in certain days.

Other then that, it seemed like you do get some text which will explain more about the individual organisation and the story behind it as saw in the secret society Organization.

in both you get emotional boosts, but i think in the organisations the needs bar will be filled up for 12h if you are doing really great (boring)

In Clubs you can customize more and in organisations you have progress and more gameplay. Thats just what it seemed like in the videos, i guess we have to wait and see. Curious too!

If the game will generate random sims to be new students every week...then oh boy, that will be a nightmare.

The cool thing though is that you can make your own students. I think you have to make them unplayable. Then there will be some sort of a event where you can choose your roomate. If your lucky enough one of your created sim will show up. Thats what they said in the livestream.
    Maybe if you just create enough students and townies in general, the game has no reason to generate more, but i expect some generated random sims anyway, because of how they handle population. I dont think the students will get replaced every week, unless they die. I guess we will see when game arrives.

• Options
    edited November 2019

They seem more like the jock, nerd and rebel groups from sims 3, except they're closer to clubs?

You get a poster and I believe a t shirt for leveling them, and you rank up through them. They have set meeting times and activities.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited November 2019
    i think we should all take into consideration how TS3 woohoo wus literally just a sim showering and another sim approaches then banging begins and that's it. so i don't mind them recycling the animation from the closet woohoo cos i honestly like how the closet woohoo looks in TS4.

my only complaint is the shower itself isn't actually shaking cos i don't think that's how the system works if you know am mean.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    in all honesty, i feel like EA is making the most stoopid and dumbed-down DLC yet. basing on the trailer and blog posts, there isn't that much to talk about or content to begin with.

but i am taking it back now.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I'm pretty irked to find out about the dorm living. I wanted to throw a bunch of my sims into a dorm and play them rotationally. I don't want to go to university and play a household of 8 sims. I would have preferred it to be more like the apartments in CL and play which sim in the building I want to play at the time. Now I'll probably have to make dorms in half the neighborhoods I have just to get as many sims involved in college as I want. I have about 40 I was going to take to college all together then have them go onto make new friendships, relationships etc. Guess I will just have to make a bunch of college towns in previous neighborhoods. Wish they would have just extended the apartment living style to dorms. They could have made a common area with kitchen and bathrooms. I find it odd that there's no kitchen either. What if my sim is going to get a culinary arts degree? They have to read a book to gain the skill of cooking? I mean sure it's doable but it would have been so much cooler to cook big meals for the dorm to gain cooking skill and feed your friends.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    The way dorms and playable sims work, it seems completely unfinished. They definitely needed to keep working on the roommate feature, because what they're shipping with the pack is not good enough. The game should be able to differentiate between an active household and a playable roommate that you're not currently playing. This is stupid.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

How is that a bad thing? Aging was off by default in sims 2/3 for college, now it's optional.

So I reread it and maybe I misunderstood something. It sounded to me like your Sims in college will get a mediocre degree if you keep them there and play another household with aging turned on for everyone. But rereading it I see it says "unplayed Sims", so that seemed to have been a misunderstanding on my part! I need to drink my coffee first next time :p
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I find it odd that there's no kitchen either. What if my sim is going to get a culinary arts degree? They have to read a book to gain the skill of cooking? I mean sure it's doable but it would have been so much cooler to cook big meals for the dorm to gain cooking skill and feed your friends.

This! I get that maybe in the dorms (ie the penthouse lots that are meant to be like halls of residence) you wouldn't be allowed a stove, but why not in the general residential university housing? I lived in Halls with a dining room for my first year, so only had access to a microwave, but when I moved into student housing I had a full on kitchen. It's going to be really annoying for Culinary arts students to build their skill. Although I suppose I could make a community lot cookery 'skills lab' with stoves for students to use...
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    If I don't put down any microwaves or mini fridges in my dorm... or if I lock them in my room...

Does that mean that my roommates will starve if I don't leave the lot?
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    If I don't put down any microwaves or mini fridges in my dorm... or if lock them in my room...

I think they can just go to the Commons to eat.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    If I don't put down any microwaves or mini fridges in my dorm... or if lock them in my room...

Pretty sure the roommates automatically feed themselves. Also, they apparently bring plates of food randomly.
    In University Housing, that is.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited November 2019

I also think that the NPC roommates will sometimes bring back group meals at random. I personally plan to have a cafeteria with a dishwasher on the first floor of all my dorms, as well as a little kitchenette with a proper fridge, counters, a sink, a coffee maker, and a microwave on the residential floor for everyone to use. The fridge seems necessary because I don't want a lot of spoiled food or dirty dishes sitting around. In addition, since the sims apparently get a negative moodlet from eating too many microwaved meals in a row, I want them to have the option of making themselves salads and fruit parfait in a pinch.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkdK5LMWlo

I thought this was a really good Video.

I also dislike the fact that there are so many recycled assets. Even with the food... they couldnt be bothered to change the texture of the ramen . Wasnt this a thing in Island Living, where the coconut cake looked the same as the white cake. LAZZZYYY.

Or talking about recycling stuff.... shower wohoo is the same as closet wohoo... oh man.

Crying in the toilet stall... Is this even a thing or just trailer magic? I mean why do they have to add so many stuff that arent even in the game. I mean they really exaggerate theyre trailer. Its annoying.

I tried to watch the video, but the audio/video being out of sync made it unbearable for me.

I noticed that too...but I am just gonna listen to it in the background.
    But you'd think she'd fix that.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    It would have been nice if they included these "innovative ways to cook in the dorm" and maybe people would not have been as upset. They could have added a hot plate, Blender\juice maker\smoothie maker, the instant pot, a slow cooker etc. Instead of just saying you can't have anything but a mini fridge and microwave, give us some options. I would have been happy if they even took the time to add a soda machine or a snack machine.

Any of those cooking options would have been very welcome. Could you imagine a Sim making microwave cakes in mugs? Or someone with a toaster oven making mini artisan pizzas to order? They could have made a killing selling that stuff to students who were sick of the cafeteria food.

Or imagine that a student with the evil trait is allowed to write papers and to sell them to other students for profit. Another student with the good trait could decide to become a peer tutor in their spare time, free of charge. A student with the perfectionist trait could have filled the role of a dorm supervisor who likes to make unannounced inspections to find those contraband toasters and slow cookers. They could have also been the ones to oust visitors after hours.

That's the kind of innovation in gameplay that I would have enjoyed. The constant emphasis on doing the same things, pack over pack, is quite disheartening. TS4 is great at making lists of things to do. But when it comes down to it, those lists tend to be populated with the same thing that players have been doing for the last 27 packs.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    KayeStar wrote: »
    poplopflop wrote: »
    So because there were rabbitholes in sims 1,2,3... It's ok for sims 4 to have rabbitholes? I don't get that logic at all. The Sims 4 should be an improvement. Why should we have rabbitholes AND loading screens in 2019?
    The excuse "well it would have been boring to see them in class" ??? Why does it have to be boring? Art classes aren't boring(sculpting, ect) science class isn't boring (frog dissection, ect.) They could have made it fun and engaging if they tried, but no just rabbitholes... And some people are happy about it... In 2019...
    For starters, there are simmers who like rabbit holes...

What art and science classes have you been in?

Yes, different things make different people happy. Who knew?

I for one much perfer them.

I'm the opposite, I prefer gameplay in my video game.

So do I. :/

I obviously qualify gameplay differently than you do.

I don't know about you, but since sims 1 we've had rabbit holes for these things- it's what I'm used to and I'm perfectly OK with what I'm used to.
    Gallery ID: babysquare