Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I can't believe that 5 days is one semester. That is just the worst part of it to me. I can deal with not going to class with my sim but for my sim to be able to complete all of university in 3 sim weeks is just dumb. Maybe some people like that and that's fine, I just wish they'd think about players that want a longer university experience for their sims. Sure someone will probably make a mod but why do I have to get mods for something that seems like such an easy idea to implement? The work around of only taking 1 class a semester is awful. There will be little to no challenge involved. This is the most frustrating part of it all for me right now. Also the fact that they decided to leave apartments out again. I guess I can figure something out with the dorm living but if they did it with the dorm living why can't they just let us do apartments? These devs are frustrating.

That's why I did not like Sims 3 Uni as it was very unrealistic - with their and 1 or 2 week semesters. It is why I liked Sims 2 better and even though it was shorter than real Uni's it was more realistic to me.
    And a pregnancy takes 3 days. Sim days aren’t always actual days obviously. It’s why I sometimes stop aging in the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    Just because I go to university doesn't mean I have to reduce my eating habits and only live from unhealthy microwave junk food

Oxford Royale here in the UK agrees with that, listing cooking as the 10th most important skill required for independent University life.

Cooking-tho.png
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    EdithV wrote: »
    Is there an official graduation party or do we just have to throw a party?

There will be a graduation ceremony but it‘s a rabbit hole. You can mingle with your classmates outside after the ceremony though.
  • Options
    sillehbeesillehbee Posts: 704 Member
    I do not get the complains about no kitchen at dorms. I mean if you would HAVE to load that cafeteria lot every time many times a day I WOULD TOTALLY understand. But minifridge+micro combo offers new meals, and I am pretty sure the sim living at dorm will not starve to death with minifridge and micro:) (lived with instant noodles for months irl, once upon a time)

EDITED TO ADD: As I am in complaining topic, to avoid the complains about off topic, here is my complain:
    Kids cannot ride bikes! That is something I simply cannot understand. I learned to do it when I was a kid! I know this is pack for university, but with the trouble to animate teen-elders to do it, why not do the kids as well when they were at it.

My concern is that the microwaves aren't going to be feasible. Don't you get an uncomfortable moodlet for a few hours after eating food from the microwave? That's always been my experience despite which microwave I use.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,024 Member
    I just read that Q&A thing, and it's basically

Q: "Can I do [thing?]"
    A: "No," or "Yes, but it's a rabbit hole."
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Build/Buy as predicted from the live stream is very disappointing.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Just because I go to university doesn't mean I have to reduce my eating habits and only live from unhealthy microwave junk food

Oxford Royale here in the UK agrees with that, listing cooking as the 10th most important skill required for independent University life.

Cooking-tho.png

Well they don't allow students to have stoves at most Universities here so even if you were a professional cook you couldn't cook in a dorm room. Want to cook your way through college do what I did and rent an expensive apartment. Of course good luck trying to buy all your text books you need for classes. It is a trade off here. Sure some people tried to go around it and got hot plates only to get caught - say goodbye to University if that happens... Laws are laws it is simply different here.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    edited November 2019
    There's no CAS for kids or toddlers. :'( I was hoping they would at least get a t-shirt with the university logo or something.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    With the NDA lifted at least can see some more in-depth game play with the Game Changers at simgirl1010' thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968535/du-reviews-lets-plays-gameplay-tips-and-builds/p1

For those on the fence they will help decide whether to get the exp. or not. Which I felt the LS should have done but that's why there Game Changers.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    My biggest problem is that they have one length, despite the fact that you can have your sims age at different rates. Five days makes sense for a term, because you get all the days of the week like a real class schedule. But they should allow you to set the number of terms required to graduate. People who play on normal lifespan might not want their sims to spend almost the entire young adult stage in university, while people who play with aging off might want the university experience to last longer.

I strongly preferred the cafeteria in Sims2, which was in the dorm, rather than a separate lot. It actually made sense and resembled the real life dorm experience, at least in the US.

Also sad that I can send my sim to a sports arena but as a player I can't watch.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited November 2019
    After having watched James Turners video... I'm honestly more confused, it's a like a merge of everything that is already in the game. (Except robotics)
    • Classes are just text based and made up so you can even pick an elective class that is just some random text for your program?
    • Dorms are households that you merge when you move to them?
    • Your program is just... a rabbit hole career...at least you have multiple tasks?
    • Your roomates are randomly generated sims, are they even students? (and of course immediately james gets a city living sim and an island living sim).
    • Football is an unpaid part-time rabbit hole career?
    • Cafeterias are just market stands? (the sim was standing at the cafeteria and shouting?)

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The game changers actually make it look fun and more challenging than I had gleaned from previous footage. There are still things I wish were done differently, but I also see things I really like. Learning that roommates bring group meals back to housing is kind of fun, that should ease concerns of not having real food handy. I’ve been on the fence... now leaning more towards yes than no. In my opinion this is better than Island Living. Traits should not continue to be neglected, however! And what is going on with whims... still don’t know. I’ll probably dig into some personality mods to enhance my experience with the game when timing is just right.
  • Options
    FishyNamorFishyNamor Posts: 28 Member
    logion wrote: »
    After having watched James Turners video... I'm honestly more confused, it's a like a merge of everything that is already in the game. (Except robotics)

Your roomates are randomly generated sims, are they even students? (and of course immediately james gets a city living sim and an island living sim).

From what Gurus said on stream you can ask Friends to be roommates
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I noticed this now........WHY is there a * over expansion pack xD Are you telling us it isn't technically one? LOL usually with that symbol there is a disclaimer...I just found this odd.

S2hrdnF.png
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I noticed this now........WHY is there a * over expansion pack xD Are you telling us it isn't technically one? LOL usually with that symbol there is a disclaimer...I just found this odd.

S2hrdnF.png

Asterisks are used to indicate additional information, in this case: "*Requires The Sims 4 game (sold separately) and all game updates to play. For PC/Mac, see minimum system requirements for this pack."

It's everywhere on pages about packs.
  • Options

S2hrdnF.png

Asterisks are used to indicate additional information, in this case: "*Requires The Sims 4 game (sold separately) and all game updates to play. For PC/Mac, see minimum system requirements for this pack."

It's everywhere on pages about packs.

Oh OK <3 n/m I never noticed them before <3
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Disappointed the Repo Man returns but only for unpaid student loans. Households without a uni student will have no interaction with the Repo Man.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Cooking-tho.png

Well they don't allow students to have stoves at most Universities here so even if you were a professional cook you couldn't cook in a dorm room. Want to cook your way through college do what I did and rent an expensive apartment. Of course good luck trying to buy all your text books you need for classes. It is a trade off here. Sure some people tried to go around it and got hot plates only to get caught - say goodbye to University if that happens... Laws are laws it is simply different here.

Saying most is a stretch, a lot of Universities and Colleges in the US had stoves depending on the configuration of the dorm. My dorm even allowed toaster ovens in your room.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Disappointed the Repo Man returns but only for unpaid student loans. Households without a uni student will have no interaction with the Repo Man.

:( bummer....
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »

Another missed opportunity. :(
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    I just read that kids can’t play ping pong. UGHHH
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »

WHAT?! I thought someone said they could?!
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »

WHAT?! I thought someone said they could?!
    The Q&A in the stickied thread said they can’t. Hope it’s wrong. That blows.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Daephene wrote: »

I strongly preferred the cafeteria in Sims2, which was in the dorm, rather than a separate lot. It actually made sense and resembled the real life dorm experience, at least in the US.

The only way I can see getting around putting a cafeteria with a stove in the dorm would be changing the lot type from University Housing to probably residential apartment and then just putting out roommate requests so at least there'd be other people living in the dorm.

With the Game Changers videos still rolling out hopefully someone will have tried it out.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Wrenry wrote: »

The only way I can see getting around putting a cafeteria with a stove in the dorm would be changing the lot type from University Housing to probably residential apartment and then just putting out roommate requests so at least there'd be other people living in the dorm.

You can only have one roommate in residential apartments though.