Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    Just saw it. Have to say I am not a fan of seeing The Sims also follow these social media hypes, hashtags and terms etc. It is a bit off putting for me and I feel too old for this stuff. Then again I feel the focus is only on a certain target group. But ok..
    Agreed. I had to google “Got the W” - do kids really say that? Never heard that before. How is that easier than saying, “I/We won!” So lame. And I only see #blessed when my friends use it ironically. I don’t even see how that fits in with being in a secret society. You don’t post publicly about secret societies, duh.
    They’re trying too hard to be hip and it feels disconnected from reality.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited November 2019
    mika wrote: »
    Julia is a whole mood. Can't wait for the pack to release

Also, did anyone notice she said "they're gonna take my stuff"?? Is that referring to the repo man returning?

@mika Possibly. Here is an excerpt from the blog. Note the last sentence

Financial Aid
    Whether your Sim chooses the hallowed halls of the University of Britechester with its focus on arts and humanities, or the cutting-edge Foxbury Institute and its science and tech slant, there’s a ton to do, see, and learn as they journey through higher education!

But before they start packing their bags, doing a little research on how they’re going to pay for education is a good idea. There are tons of scholarships and grants available for both academically and athletically gifted students, as well as need-based scholarships. If your Sim has already started down their career path and wants to further their education, they may want to consider a career scholarship. You’ll be able to find out which scholarships are available for your Sims to help cover their college costs.

Your Sims also have the opportunity to take out student loans to help fund their education, but be aware that payments will be due as soon as they graduate.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I thought "Got the W" was weird too. Not because I don't hear it. I do. And I've actually heard it for years. But I always thought it was a Chicago thing. Specifically a Chicago Cubs thing. (Why is irrelevant.)

Maybe it started to spread after the Cubs won the World Series back in 2016
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I thought "Got the W" was weird too. Not because I don't hear it. I do. And I've actually heard it for years. But I always thought it was a Chicago thing. Specifically a Chicago Cubs thing. (Why is irrelevant.)

Maybe it started to spread after the Cubs won the World Series back in 2016

Not over here it didn't.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Am I the only one who thought this was a wee bit cringey?

This pack sounds nice and all, but I'm afraid that the university features are going to be a bit shallow. They're really over-emphasizing partying and goofing off with your friends, which are social activities that can be done without the pack.

13 majors? What if they function similarly to rabbithole careers? It would be like putting a new label on the old content.
    Hanging out in a student center? What would make it different than going to the library and chatting with other teens? Bringing laptops? Your kid?
    The huge emphasis on playing soccer?? One of the selling points?? Does anyone else find that concerning? :'(

I feel as if they're polishing this trailer up nicely [and adding #totallyrelate-able , trendy-yet-stressed young adult much of EA's target audience can identify with] in order to make us look the other way add a gallon of sparkles to shiny, new content that may actually not turn out to be much different than existing gameplay mechanics. {Please, please, let me be wrong......]

I am really happy that we're getting room-mates, though!

I agree with you. That trailer was cringy like they were really trying hard to only reach a specific target group, again.

And yeah, a lot of it seems recycled and reused. You gave some good examples already - A lot of it just seems like a normal community lot.
    I'm also worried that we still haven't heard/seen anything about classes. Seems likely they'll be rabbit holes which would feel the same to me as normal school/job then, but just in a new environment.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Am I the only one who thought this was a wee bit cringey?

This pack sounds nice and all, but I'm afraid that the university features are going to be a bit shallow. They're really over-emphasizing partying and goofing off with your friends, which are social activities that can be done without the pack.

13 majors? What if they function similarly to rabbithole careers? It would be like putting a new label on the old content.
    Hanging out in a student center? What would make it different than going to the library and chatting with other teens? Bringing laptops? Your kid?
    The huge emphasis on playing soccer?? One of the selling points?? Does anyone else find that concerning? :'(

I feel as if they're polishing this trailer up nicely [and adding #totallyrelate-able , trendy-yet-stressed young adult much of EA's target audience can identify with] in order to make us look the other way add a gallon of sparkles to shiny, new content that may actually not turn out to be much different than existing gameplay mechanics. {Please, please, let me be wrong......]

I am really happy that we're getting room-mates, though!

I agree with you. That trailer was cringy like they were really trying hard to only reach a specific target group, again.

And yeah, a lot of it seems recycled and reused. You gave some good examples already - A lot of it just seems like a normal community lot.
    I'm also worried that we still haven't heard/seen anything about classes. Seems likely they'll be rabbit holes which would feel the same to me as normal school/job then, but just in a new environment.

I long for the traliers where they just showed off things with no cringy voice acting...it....I hate it. Sims don't even speak english.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I think that was easily the cringiest Sims trailer I've ever seen :# We get it, this game is for the hip and cool teen girls of the world, but geeeeezzzzz, the 'hashtags' and other weird slang and the way the voice actress spoke were so off putting.

Hilarious how this is the 2nd trailer, the GAMEPLAY trailer, and yet still nothing showing anything to do with classes. Is this a university pack or a "my life is so #crazy and so #weird, but so #fun, and and I love to #party, oh and I also just so happen to be in #school" pack? Seriously, they glossed over anything that actually related to school just to tell a story about this obnoxious girl. Where are the actual details about what's offered in the pack? Where is the schooling? What about the degrees? Jobs? The campuses? Literally all of that was ignored. This was supposed to be the trailer to tell us about what's new and interesting about this pack, but instead they just rushed through everything and used it as mere background for the unnecessary story.

Doesn't make the pack look appealing in the slightest In fact, it just makes the pack come across as void of content.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I think that was easily the cringiest Sims trailer I've ever seen :# We get it, this game is for the hip and cool teen girls of the world, but geeeeezzzzz, the 'hashtags' and other weird slang and the way the voice actress spoke were so off putting.

Hilarious how this is the 2nd trailer, the GAMEPLAY trailer, and yet still nothing showing anything to do with classes. Is this a university pack or a "my life is so #crazy and so #weird, but so #fun, and and I love to #party, oh and I also just so happen to be in #school" pack? Seriously, they glossed over anything that actually related to school just to tell a story about this obnoxious girl. Where are the actual details about what's offered in the pack? Where is the schooling? What about the degrees? Jobs? The campuses? Literally all of that was ignored. This was supposed to be the trailer to tell us about what's new and interesting about this pack, but instead they just rushed through everything and used it as mere background for the unnecessary story.

Doesn't make the pack look appealing in the slightest In fact, it just makes the pack come across as void of content.

-claps- Well said.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

LOL yeah this^^

My favorite part of the trailer was not all the images will appear in the game. LOL
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    We will hopefully know in a few days what the classes are going to be like. I am glad I get to see the live stream before I purchase. I am leaning towards getting it, I like everything I have seen so far, but I am disappointed we didn't see anything about actually attending class.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    For a "game play" trailer, where was the game play? After the first trailer everyone asked about the game play. We were told it was coming in this trailer but this was not it either? This was just another machinima story and this time with a human voice ruining my simlish immersion, showing a lot of the same things the first one showed but with less items in the background? At least the first one showed shower woo-hoo (which is actually game play) and bikes (however limited they may or not be, still game play) :/ I liked the first one better and found it more informative TBH, and I didn't really even like that one too much.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,340 Member
    I'm excited for this!
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Only thing I don’t like is how small the dorms are. She switched into 3 dorms and they all seem like a small square. And that’s all cause outside the walls are either the hallway or a bathroom or elevator. Hopefully we can’t rent a lot like in TS3

Have you ever gone to college? Dorm rooms are quite small and square! It's realistic to life. At least American university life that is!
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    So far I love what I see. Now, to see what classes are like. :) I think in sims2 you went to a rabbithole? And sims 3 some attending and some rabbitholes. Can't wait!
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Is that Simstagram? Woah can we now see it and upload images?

I REALLY REALLY hope so! I always wanted to have something like this be more interactive. It would be awesome storytelling tool if they allowed us to do this. Imagine how fun a SIMBOOK would be? Without all the annoying political posts on it of course! lol
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I'm actually intrigued! Lawyer? I hope it's an active career we are too 'modern' to go back to rabbit holes!
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Only thing I don’t like is how small the dorms are. She switched into 3 dorms and they all seem like a small square. And that’s all cause outside the walls are either the hallway or a bathroom or elevator. Hopefully we can’t rent a lot like in TS3

Have you ever gone to college? Dorm rooms are quite small and square! It's realistic to life. At least American university life that is!
    Yes I have. I really hate the “realistic to life” reasoning. Idc about ‘but real life’. It’s a video game. How can my sim have a oversized telescope yet can’t have a bigger dorm? But whatever, I’ll just rent a lot.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »

Yes I have. I really hate the “realistic to life” reasoning. Idc about ‘but real life’. It’s a video game. How can my sim have a oversized telescope yet can’t have a bigger dorm? But whatever, I’ll just rent a lot.

Fair enough. I think Sims 4 needs more realism elements since it's essentially supposed to be a life simulator. However, I know everybody does not have the same tastes. I like the idea of having my poor sim live in a tiny "box" with a roomie to simulate an average university life!
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Me too !! Some of my main sims are supposed to be lawyers so I'll be glad not to have to pretend. It could be nice as an active career !! The teacher/professor career is interesting too !!
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I'm actually intrigued! Lawyer? I hope it's an active career we are too 'modern' to go back to rabbit holes!

• Options
    I like lawyers and judges in tv I (luckily) never been to court or on Jury Duty but I do like Phoenix Wright, All Rise, Law n Order, etc
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Also at some point there's a girl with her toddler, does this mean they can now travel to other lots ?
  • Options
    TastyO818TastyO818 Posts: 14 New Member
    Do you guys know the difference between the distinguished degrees and the normal degrees?
  • Options
    unknown.png

Morgyn is a boyfriend stealer
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    TastyO818 wrote: »
    Do you guys know the difference between the distinguished degrees and the normal degrees?

I'm guessing the distinguished degrees are like PhDs?