Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

Comments

• AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited November 2019
    1st time ever, a sim can speak language we, real world, can all understand. BUT... her sims friends cannot understand what she is saying at all! :D
    Lawyer: Rabbithole job?
    Engineer: Another Rabbithole?
    Professor: Definitely Interactive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Loved this trailer! So entertaining in a good and interesting way. Had a few laughs along the way, too :)

Still not sure I will get this EP anytime soon, but that is to blame on my poor computer, and definitely not this trailer :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    i enjoy reading the varied responses to the trailer and how different the opinions are.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    liliaeth wrote: »
    Only thing I don’t like is how small the dorms are. She switched into 3 dorms and they all seem like a small square. And that’s all cause outside the walls are either the hallway or a bathroom or elevator. Hopefully we can’t rent a lot like in TS3

I like it, it makes it different from apartments. that and dorms are supposed to be small.

Dorms are always small, just like you said - just one room mostly for sleeping and studying, with usually room for two students. The are very different then apartments. They are where students can stay when they cannot afford an apartment or house.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Wow! I'm glad everyone else has pretty much expressed my thoughts because I have no words. But I am impressed that they made a gameplay trailer with no gameplay in it. Congrats devs. Did anyone notice what was missing from the trailer? No one was riding a bicycle, anywhere. I saw one leaning against the house, but that's it.

I hope everyone realizes that they have gotten better at making nothing look like something. There are no sports but you can join a sports club and everyone can kick a soccer ball by themselves together.

And while the secret society looks good in their robes and masks, why are they in another hidden world (and they told us that not enough players use the two hidden ones we already have) or is it one of the ones we already have? Doesn't matter because a secret society should meet in a hidden room in the basement or attic plotting how to take over the world. So what's with the magic stuff and being "Blessed"?

And someone (young apparently) please tell me what "Julia is a whole mood" means. Is that another silly phrase like "It made me feel a certain way"? Of course you felt a certain way, you're alive and thinking and breathing. You feel all day long, every day. Great, now I'm a whole mood.

It's good to see the cafeteria but unless it can be used outside of the pack in the real world, it might as well be a bicycle.

I do give the devs credit for one thing. Anyone remember a teacher telling a kid (or you :D ) that if you put as much effort into actually studying as you do into trying to get out of studying, you'd be class valedictorian? Devs, you could be class valedictorian.

You're right in that it never actually answered any of the technical questions related to in-depth gameplay, it just told you a few things that are available in Uni but, not anything really technical about it...it's like they want to deliberately avoid answering the technical questions...it's a nice trailer don't get me wrong but, it doesn't really answer anything, only brings up more questions.

Also I wasn't aware this is how college students speak nowadays? I'm only barely older than the typical college age student too :p
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Please tell me we'll be able to marry robots! :D
    edited November 2019
    Nobody notice it... but when did the sims learn to speak English ?
    When they discovered StrangerVille :D

They teach ESL at the University of Britechester.

The narrators in some of the Sims games speaks English... or even some of the songs they use are English.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Wow! I'm glad everyone else has pretty much expressed my thoughts because I have no words. But I am impressed that they made a gameplay trailer with no gameplay in it. Congrats devs. Did anyone notice what was missing from the trailer? No one was riding a bicycle, anywhere. I saw one leaning against the house, but that's it.

I hope everyone realizes that they have gotten better at making nothing look like something. There are no sports but you can join a sports club and everyone can kick a soccer ball by themselves together.

And while the secret society looks good in their robes and masks, why are they in another hidden world (and they told us that not enough players use the two hidden ones we already have) or is it one of the ones we already have? Doesn't matter because a secret society should meet in a hidden room in the basement or attic plotting how to take over the world. So what's with the magic stuff and being "Blessed"?

And someone (young apparently) please tell me what "Julia is a whole mood" means. Is that another silly phrase like "It made me feel a certain way"? Of course you felt a certain way, you're alive and thinking and breathing. You feel all day long, every day. Great, now I'm a whole mood.

It's good to see the cafeteria but unless it can be used outside of the pack in the real world, it might as well be a bicycle.

I do give the devs credit for one thing. Anyone remember a teacher telling a kid (or you :D ) that if you put as much effort into actually studying as you do into trying to get out of studying, you'd be class valedictorian? Devs, you could be class valedictorian.

I didnt even realize that the cafeteria was there at the end :o

I'm glad that's there. I was hoping there would be or have that guy who cooks for you like in sims 2 university.

Also "Julia is a whole mood" in this context meant that they found her character to be very relatable. It's kinda hard to explain. Youth slang doesn't always make sense.
    LR3g0ni.jpg

I'm glad that's there. I was hoping there would be or have that guy who cooks for you like in sims 2 university.

Also "Julia is a whole mood" in this context meant that they found her character to be very relatable. It's kinda hard to explain. Youth slang doesn't always make sense.

I know I love having the dorm cafeteria back. I really missed having them in Sims 3. Thank you devs for hearing us that have been asking to get them back in this UNI.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,870 Member
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

Lots of unpopular opinions, but we all have the right to have an opinion :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

I know I'm old and there's things the youth of today say and do that I just don't get but, it seems at odds to create a trailer for a university EP for our sims to seek higher learning and have Julia talk as if she too cool to talk like the adult she is trying to be. I highly doubt that a lawyer speaks like she did and if my kids teacher did, I'd find a way to home school them. :D
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    So she took out a loan while still in university, after she lost her scholarship, to get a second chance. I was thinking it would be like in TS3 where you had to wait to for the week(s) to be over if you wanted to change things. That’s neat, but how long can sims be there for
    So she took out a loan while still in university, after she lost her scholarship, to get a second chance. I was thinking it would be like in TS3 where you had to wait to for the week(s) to be over if you wanted to change things. That’s neat, but how long can sims be there for

Must have been a Sims loan shark cuz no bank would loan money to a slacker even if she is the mood and feels a certain way. Maybe the repoman loaned her some money but she has to work it off repoing other peoples stuff. :D
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

I'm very confused. Most of the info you're going off of is unconfirmed, like sims being unable to play soccer together. Maybe they thought players would use this secret world because it comes with a creepy secret society that everyone seemed to love in Sims 2 (I never played). I'm also assuming the cafeteria is part of the school itself... and since we don't have active school, why would we need a cafeteria anywhere else? And I never had class valedictorians growing up.

Just my thoughts and opinions... I'm sorry, I just hate it when people bash things that they haven't played yet.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    They had me at 'toddler'. Pre-ordered.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I guess having four teenage granddaughters keeps me in the loop when it comes to hashtags, social media, and the like. But it has it's downside whenever I inadvertantly interject what I learned from them, into conversations I have with people my own age. Keeping up with current trends is fascinating. And my granddaughters appreciate the fact I care enough about them to communicate with them on their level. So everything in this latest trailer made perfect sense to me. Except for one tiny thing.....where's the gameplay? Did I miss something? I thought this trailer was supposed to reveal some of the gameplay we were told is in this pack. At least the marketing team is trying to be a bit more honest about these trailers by stating not all the images are real. But doesn't that take away from the point of this trailer? It was entertaining, yet not very believable on some levels. I have to admit I did find a few bits that kicked my imagination into high gear. Such as the student Sim with a toddler. I instantly created an entire story around that one scene. Probably because I can relate to being a single mom while attending college at the same time. Well played, EA. Well played. But I'm not hooked yet. And I am still upset over the fact I paid full price for Island Living. I'll wait until I see player reviews on DU before I buy it. If I buy it, it'll be in a bundle deal sometime next year.

I'm very confused. Most of the info you're going off of is unconfirmed, like sims being unable to play soccer together. Maybe they thought players would use this secret world because it comes with a creepy secret society that everyone seemed to love in Sims 2 (I never played). I'm also assuming the cafeteria is part of the school itself... and since we don't have active school, why would we need a cafeteria anywhere else? And I never had class valedictorians growing up.

Just my thoughts and opinions... I'm sorry, I just hate it when people bash things that they haven't played yet.

Well, granted, I'm no expert, but I have been playing the Sims for twenty years, so I am familiar with the way Maxis does things. We were told from the start of the info for this pack, that our college sims could "kick around" a soccer ball. In the first trailer we see a girl kicking around a ball and it hits another student in the head. That, IMO, is not "playing" soccer. And having a soccer club that meets in the stadium(?) to individually kick around a soccer ball as a group, is hardly equal to a collegiate intramural sports program. The sims will never have team sports because it would need too much programing to make it work even half decently. The closest we will ever come is the current basketball playing that came in CL, and no one seems to give a carp about it.

And college secret societies are normally about wealth and power and how to get more of it and keep it, not fairy magic in a magical fairy glade.
    The robes will be useful for my covens, but knowing Maxis, they probably must be unlocked to be used out of the secret society. They keep the good stuff locked away. As for that secret world, why give us another hidden glade when the info they get about how we play, doesn't support a hidden world. That's why they gave us three lots that were not hidden, but special, in GT with Windenburg.

Hopefully, you're no longer confused.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    The toddler only came to visit the parent, simgurufrost said they can visit campus but can’t live there.
    Thank god, my sim wouldn’t get anything done at uni if they just take care of a toddler
  • Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    I really don’t understand what the big cry is for Murphy beds. I mean I’ve used them in the past but honestly it’s not that big of deal if it’s in or not. I’m super excited for this pack, can’t wait for the livestream to see it in more detail.

I don't get it either but I do remember it bringing a new way for sims to die. That could be why people want murphy beds? That's the only reason I'd want them anyways. Also it'd be a new bed type which would be cool to have I guess. Murphy beds and bunk beds don't make sense to me in a college pack but I'm biased because we don't really have them on campuses where I live. We just have twin beds
    Octavie88 wrote: »
    I really don’t understand what the big cry is for Murphy beds. I mean I’ve used them in the past but honestly it’s not that big of deal if it’s in or not. I’m super excited for this pack, can’t wait for the livestream to see it in more detail.

I don't get it either but I do remember it bringing a new way for sims to die. That could be why people want murphy beds? That's the only reason I'd want them anyways. Also it'd be a new bed type which would be cool to have I guess. Murphy beds and bunk beds don't make sense to me in a college pack but I'm biased because we don't really have them on campuses where I live. We just have twin beds

The reason, I think, is because they could be useful in a tiny house build and because they came with a fun death. And we love fun ways to kill our sims.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

I pre-ordered when I watched the first trailer and one of my favorite Sims youtubers. Yet, I really liked this trailer as well. That is the beauty of the Sims 4 in my opinion—you can create your own reality and variety. Yet, you’ll always have varying views that will always make one LOL. Looking forward to Discovering University during my own gameplay. Happy DU Simmers!
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Ancaryvan wrote: »
    1st time ever, a sim can speak language we, real world, can all understand. BUT... her sims friends cannot understand what she is saying at all! :D
    Lawyer: Rabbithole job?
    Engineer: Another Rabbithole?
    Professor: Definitely Interactive.

Pretty sure her friends did understand her, they were just stunned by her wild story. Simlish is the sim equivalent of English.

Must have been a Sims loan shark cuz no bank would loan money to a slacker even if she is the mood and feels a certain way. Maybe the repoman loaned her some money but she has to work it off repoing other peoples stuff. :D

Getting school loans is very different than most other loans and does not require use of loan sharks. Look into it. Plenty info out there on obtaining a school loan - but be prepared to give them your soul just about according to my granddaughter anyway when she needed a school loan. She is sometimes dramatic though - so that might have been why it sounded that way. She did get a job to start saving to pay back while she is also going to University. She also has time after she graduates to pay it all back and low interest compared to most other loans but still is expensive if you ask me.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,873 Member
    edited November 2019
    There are subtitles. Personally I don’t mind because I prefer watching everything that’s originally in English, in English. French dubbing tends to be ahem.....not great (I don’t know about TS4 trailers). Take Friends for instance the dubbing was so bad it made the series bad!!
    French version... doesn't speak French...

Sorry France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Quebec (Canada), ...

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I loved the trailer, lots of fun and got my imagination going.

Would like to pre-order but I will take a look at the livestream on Friday first because I hope they will show how it works with rotational play then.