Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can be done to fix sims themselves?

Comments

• Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I’d just like more ways to differentiate Sims’ life experiences. It’d be cool if there was actually something for Sims to do with their hobbies. Like a fitness buff could enter a rabbit hole marathon on the weekends. There could be random, completely unexpected dishes a Chef Sim learns the more they cook even after exceeding level 10. Maybe they could even start creating their own dishes.

Actually, it would just be cool if Sims noticed their family members.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »

Not only that but they also need to add them to all the premades they made in The Sims 4 so far. yep and each memory should correspond with the backstroies that they created.

Why did we get a Life Simulator that does not imo simulate the reality of personality in the first place?

That's a good question.

My best guess is that TS4 was not originally intended to simulate personality. EA initially wanted to create an online world full of avatars -- a sanitized and family-friendly version of Second Life, perhaps. The people behind the avatars were meant to provide the personality. That's why the Sims have very little personality and very little responsiveness to each other or to the events that occur around them.

In other words, EA wanted to take the easier way out and to turn onto the same path that every MMO game has ever taken. Rather than continue the genre that Will Wright created, full of believable simulated people, it has got to be much easier to create a digital playground for actual personalities to cavort in. They create the world and the emotes, the consumer handles the rest.

TS4's rollout and the five years that have followed support my theory. Even now, most of the DLC are focused on the worlds, build, buy, and CAS assets and a few new emotes. Sometimes, things are added to assist with storytelling like the calendar and the photography stuff. Yet, to date, any improvement of personality has been non-existent. In fact, after hiding whims by default, personality has taken a step backward.

If TS5 were to release as a single-player game, I would hope that EA concentrates on the simulation aspect of the design first and foremost. However, I don't hold out any hope that TS5 will be single-player. I don't hold out any hope that it will even resemble a Sims game as we have come to know them.

The only reason that I'm still hanging around is that I still love the series and I would love EA to prove me wrong. I'd be the first person lining up to spend my money if they did that.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    ''But I never experienced memory in TS4, how does it work? "

Like this.. Go to screenshot capture manager, make a memory, view memory, have sim reminisce on the memory. You can remove sims you don't want from the memory.

j517ZxZ.png

She was feeling uncomfortable and after recalling that moment gets to a playful emotion.

7iyGlvH.png

OsAfiIX.png

Ok I see, this is not that impressing, we need a proper system.
    I agree. Sims having to dig up a photograph to change their mood/emotion is not what a memory system should be about for me.

It's not a memory system if you need to look at a screenshot with a mood attached to remember that you were mad when your spouse cheated on you. There's a difference between a memory system and a reminiscing system. Sims 4 has the latter.

Edit: Woops, I need to look at the dates of the post I'm responding to before responding.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Not only that but they also need to add them to all the premades they made in The Sims 4 so far. yep and each memory should correspond with the backstroies that they created.

Why did we get a Life Simulator that does not imo simulate the reality of personality in the first place?

That's a good question.

My best guess is that TS4 was not originally intended to simulate personality. EA initially wanted to create an online world full of avatars -- a sanitized and family-friendly version of Second Life, perhaps. The people behind the avatars were meant to provide the personality. That's why the Sims have very little personality and very little responsiveness to each other or to the events that occur around them.

In other words, EA wanted to take the easier way out and to turn onto the same path that every MMO game has ever taken. Rather than continue the genre that Will Wright created, full of believable simulated people, it has got to be much easier to create a digital playground for actual personalities to cavort in. They create the world and the emotes, the consumer handles the rest.

TS4's rollout and the five years that have followed support my theory. Even now, most of the DLC are focused on the worlds, build, buy, and CAS assets and a few new emotes. Sometimes, things are added to assist with storytelling like the calendar and the photography stuff. Yet, to date, any improvement of personality has been non-existent. In fact, after hiding whims by default, personality has taken a step backward.

If TS5 were to release as a single-player game, I would hope that EA concentrates on the simulation aspect of the design first and foremost. However, I don't hold out any hope that TS5 will be single-player. I don't hold out any hope that it will even resemble a Sims game as we have come to know them.

The only reason that I'm still hanging around is that I still love the series and I would love EA to prove me wrong. I'd be the first person lining up to spend my money if they did that.

The weird thing is that they already know that unless the game is heavily moderated, it's not going to be sanitized nor family friendly. At least with Second Life you know (or should know) exactly what you're getting into. I think part of the reason the cesspool which was the Sims Online lasted as long as it did was most parents didn't realize that there wasn't the moderation to keep kids safe. It was so bad that the media started reporting on some of the illegal things that were happening on there.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member

If Sims5 is released as multiplayer, about 90% of their playerbase will drop off for better pastures. They will lose literally all the customers that made sims successful. That would be a terribly idiotic move to make sims multiplayer/online only.

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    First of all thanks @TS1299 for re opening my thread. I'n glad there's still simmers who know how important sims themselves are. Unfortunately like many said, I don't think it's gonna be a thing for TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »

If Sims5 is released as multiplayer, about 90% of their playerbase will drop off for better pastures. They will lose literally all the customers that made sims successful. That would be a terribly plum move to make sims multiplayer/online only.

Oh great, now you've done it... You had to post that, didn't you?!?

Now this is exactly what EA will do.
    raw
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

If Sims5 is released as multiplayer, about 90% of their playerbase will drop off for better pastures. They will lose literally all the customers that made sims successful. That would be a terribly plum move to make sims multiplayer/online only.

:D

As much as we can joke about it now, the march to online-only seems inevitable at this point. Online-only, free-to-play, or a subscription service with additional in-game purchase options. Basically, it will be the same predatory marketing scheme that has devoured mobile gaming. Only, it will be on PC. That seems to be EA's target for the near future and beyond.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    You may be right, but if EA goes to online gaming, they will have lost me.
  • Options
    Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    I want two big things. First, a Faults and Drawbacks system in addition to the Traits we have, sort of like Vampire Drawbacks but for all Sims. Second, Interests all the way back from The Sims 1, allowing you to set how interested in certain conversation topics your Sims are. Then there's stuff that's been in previous games like Turn-Ons/Turn-Offs and Favorites.
  • Options
    Evil_One wrote: »

:D

As much as we can joke about it now, the march to online-only seems inevitable at this point. Online-only, free-to-play, or a subscription service with additional in-game purchase options. Basically, it will be the same predatory marketing scheme that has devoured mobile gaming. Only, it will be on PC. That seems to be EA's target for the near future and beyond.

Who said I was joking?!?
    You may be right, but if EA goes to online gaming, they will have lost me.

They've already lost me... The writing's on the wall with TS4, TS5 will NOT be any better.

raw
  • Options
    @Evil_One Sadly, I believe you are right. 4 has really went in the wrong direction when it comes to quality and content. I also do not see 5 improving in the right direction. I hope they prove me wrong, but I highly doubt that they will.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    @Evil_One I love the gif in your signature haha it's cool

They can actually add depth to the game right now. The only thing they need to do is add more buffs and tune the effects of the traits. That's it. Hoewever 5 years they still didn't do it. They had to decide to do it. Seriously they could add a whole new life form(Cats and Dogs) re-engineer the game for weather (Seasons) or even create a new lifestage (toddlers) but they cannot add new buffs or even tune the effects of the traits?

It's ridiculous at this point. They can change how the traits work, they just decide not to.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    They can to some point, because I hear there are mods that improve the game in this respect? If a mod can do it, EA can.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    They can to some point, because I hear there are mods that improve the game in this respect? If a mod can do it, EA can.

The only mod that focuses on traits is the Personality Please Mod. However while it is a great mod, it dosen't do enough for sims. The mod will tune the autonomy that actually present in the game (Mean sims will use mean interactions) but the mod dosen't add new buffs for events and new features in Traits.

Example is the Art Lover Trait
    Description "These Sims gain powerful Moodlets from Viewing works of art and can Admire Art and discuss art in unique ways"

And that's it literally. What the description had is what the trait will actually do. Admire art and disuss art is all this trait can do. And the mod can use this interactions effectively based on tuning in the game. However no new buffs are added sadly.

I hope the modder will update it for every trait in the game or a new modder can take a look on it.
  • Options
    I just realized why are the traits even the base game ones are not being expanded when Expansions?Game?Stuff Packs got released? Some do but not all.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    There are trait mods that add new buffs all the time. I personally like the mod that allows you to add more than 3 traits to adult sims (I use the up to 8 flavor), and a mod that give zodiac traits (each with a lovely set of unique in-game buffs!), and also a mod that opens all unlockable traits strait in CAS (like, irresponsible, player, carefree, etc).

A modder made a trait maker tool, and other modders have taken this tool and made some really nice traits with new buffs that will affect a sim's life. I would LOVE to see an expansion on currently existing traits, too.

For example, mean sims do mean interactions now, but I'd also like them to get angry when a nearby sim is doing something nice, or they refuse hugs, or affection from sims they aren't romantically interested in. Prickly sort of person. I'd like to see mean sims go out of their way to insult people, and get a nice buff if their insult works, or a bad one if it fails (maybe the higher the other sim's charisma skill, the less likely the insult works?). Things of that nature!
  • Options
    @Evil_One Sadly, I believe you are right. 4 has really went in the wrong direction when it comes to quality and content. I also do not see 5 improving in the right direction. I hope they prove me wrong, but I highly doubt that they will.

Yeah, that's about where I am, myself.
    @Evil_One I love the gif in your signature haha it's cool

Thanks!
    They can actually add depth to the game right now. The only thing they need to do is add more buffs and tune the effects of the traits. That's it. Hoewever 5 years they still didn't do it. They had to decide to do it. Seriously they could add a whole new life form(Cats and Dogs) re-engineer the game for weather (Seasons) or even create a new lifestage (toddlers) but they cannot add new buffs or even tune the effects of the traits?

It's ridiculous at this point. They can change how the traits work, they just decide not to.

Of course they could. So I can only assume that the reason they don't is because they don't want people happy with the game, as is... They want to run the game like a slot machine, leave people always hopeful they'll get something better with the next time they put their money in, but the odds are always stacked against them; If they re-tune the traits, it'll generate a higher expectation of quality in the future and they don't want that.
    raw
  • Options
    Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    Nice thread bump. It's high time these lingering issues with the game were addressed.

The only way improvements can be made, is if the developers actually acknowledge that the sims lack personality. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't personally heard that from them.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Nice thread bump. It's high time these lingering issues with the game were addressed.

The only way improvements can be made, is if the developers actually acknowledge that the sims lack personality. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't personally heard that from them.

No. And I feel like there's pratically no game changers talking about it. So it won't change...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The only game changer I've noticed talking about it was Carl. James questioned the quality of the game but just in regards to CAS/BB once (and it was emergency patched...). I think Plumbella has mentioned a few small things, but Carl is the one really is putting it out there. LGR has been saying things about the depth and quality since launch, but he's also not a game changer and his refusal to blindly band wagon jump is likely why he's not. He used to get free packs, but they stopped when he started to voice negatives. *hmmmm* Carl will probably get his taken away too rather than try to address issues and fix the game.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    I believe the reason they are ignoring these complaints is because they have no intention of taking the time to fix things. 4 has been a huge disappoint for me. I hung there longer than I should have while hoping things would improve, but finally realized it wasn't going to happen and stopped buying packs after Cats and Dogs.

Sadly, I think 4 is an example of things to come and I don't see 5 being any better. I'd love it if they surprised me with improved sims, quality and content in 5, but I seriously doubt it's going to happen.
  • Options

No. And I feel like there's pratically no game changers talking about it. So it won't change...

Yep. Another thing is how can the Sim Gurus admit that sims lacks personality if their marketing was over the moon saying "Create Unique Sims".
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I don't know, I'm still waiting for Sims to get smart or emotional or have multitasking like the Sims 4 initially claimed to do and failed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I don't know, I'm still waiting for Sims to get smart or emotional or have multitasking like the Sims 4 initially claimed to do and failed.

100% true