Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can be done to fix sims themselves?

Comments

• aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited April 2019
    Memory, more impactful traits and depth to personalities. I'd like to see hobbies, favorites, turn off and turn ons and zodiac signs return.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• jamiebaby212jamiebaby212 Posts: 23 Member
    Honestly this might sound weird, but i want more realism!!
    I want to vacuum the floors (not just mop if there is a puddle) can we also have the choice to mow the lawn?!
    How fun would it be to buy a push/ride on mower and get the teenagers to do it as a chore?! Then maybe you could have an action like "🐸🐸🐸🐸 in foot" because the lawn is over grown? I would also like chores for teenagers and maybe have the choice of pocket money for children who cant get a part time job?
    I dont know, i just want more options for house duties haha
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    @Jordan061102 when you do your next summery i just went you to know you can use the pic i posted as well

This sunday I guess but I don't like to use picture in summaries.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I have another one to add 😃

I think it will be awesome for sims to show emphaty to each other, not just in animations, but in the actual emotions themselves. Perhaps I am watching too much psychology videos, but our emotions can/can be influence/influenced by other people. For example if we see a person/loveone who is sad, we can also get sad, and feel their emotions. I think that would be amazing for The Sims especially to those who have the Emphaty trait. It will be cool if the sims have the ability to see each others reality/challenging. Not just the "try to cheer up". We need more of them.

For example if toddler saw Papa and Mama Sim fighting, thentoddler sim will cry or be sad, since mama and papa sim isn't just angry, they are sad of what happen(this can happen for example if mama sim saw papa sim cheating)

This things can added ti the game can make it more realistic and more depth.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Jordan061102 when you do your next summery i just went you to know you can use the pic i posted as well

its no problem just wanted to let you know :)
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    TS1299 wrote: »

I think it will be awesome for sims to show emphaty to each other, not just in animations, but in the actual emotions themselves. Perhaps I am watching too much psychology videos, but our emotions can/can be influence/influenced by other people. For example if we see a person/loveone who is sad, we can also get sad, and feel their emotions. I think that would be amazing for The Sims especially to those who have the Emphaty trait. It will be cool if the sims have the ability to see each others reality/challenging. Not just the "try to cheer up". We need more of them.

For example if toddler saw Papa and Mama Sim fighting, thentoddler sim will cry or be sad, since mama and papa sim isn't just angry, they are sad of what happen(this can happen for example if mama sim saw papa sim cheating)

Love this. There's so much to do with unique sims! I think I will never be enough lucky to see a Sims game like that one day. :(

its no problem just wanted to let you know :)

That's kind of you, thank's. :)
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    Lately, I want me some FREE TIME-type hobby stuff, where sims had clear interests and ways they preferred to putter around.

Also, I know Grant said sims start to all act the same when they have more than three traits, but I have to imagine that's partly because there a) aren't enough and b) they don't DO enough. Even little changes help a lot ... I have the emotional traits modded so sometimes their associated moodlet is +2 or +3 when it randomly pops. That helps, say, my Gloomy sims actually seem gloomy more often than my other sims.

Also Happy moodlets are way too strong, especially since we keep getting more and more ways to pile those on. Basically, I WANT to like the emotions, but their balance is pretty off in the vanilla game. I've been using some version of Lingering Emotions/Emotional Inertia for years now, and it works so much better.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    Sjofn wrote: »
    I know Grant said sims start to all act the same when they have more than three traits

this is going to be super super cynical of me but have they seen the sims now? THEY ARE ALL THE SAME! compared to sims 2 and especially 3 for me there is no personality to the sims of iteration 4. its almost like they are all on Xanax or Prozac or something to make them happy. id rather my sims all act the same if the traits actually did something.

IMO thats a cop out and has made me a little angry. i LOVE the sims, but playing sims 4 for me is heavily dependent on what has been released and if its more appealing than other games. i loved strangerville and am now waiting for the patch to determine if i play this month or wait for the next patch.

eugh im walking away from that train of thought but the traits in sims 4 just need to be removed or renamed "interests" because they dont define a sims personality in any way shape or form.
    edited April 2019
    Lately, I want me some FREE TIME-type hobby stuff, where sims had clear interests and ways they preferred to putter around.

Also, I know Grant said sims start to all act the same when they have more than three traits, but I have to imagine that's partly because there a) aren't enough and b) they don't DO enough. Even little changes help a lot ... I have the emotional traits modded so sometimes their associated moodlet is +2 or +3 when it randomly pops. That helps, say, my Gloomy sims actually seem gloomy more often than my other sims.

Also Happy moodlets are way too strong, especially since we keep getting more and more ways to pile those on. Basically, I WANT to like the emotions, but their balance is pretty off in the vanilla game. I've been using some version of Lingering Emotions/Emotional Inertia for years now, and it works so much better.

I surely disagree with Grants. Didn't he worked in TS2? If so, it makes me kind of afraid that he can't even see that there's a problem with traits & personalities in this iteration... He says 3+ traits will make sims all act the same, so basically when he says that it means that now for him they don't act the same? But they do! It wouldn't change anything to add more slots cause they already act the same, traits are impactless.
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    I know Grant said sims start to all act the same when they have more than three traits

this is going to be super super cynical of me but have they seen the sims now? THEY ARE ALL THE SAME! compared to sims 2 and especially 3 for me there is no personality to the sims of iteration 4. its almost like they are all on Xanax or Prozac or something to make them happy. id rather my sims all act the same if the traits actually did something.

IMO thats a cop out and has made me a little angry. i LOVE the sims, but playing sims 4 for me is heavily dependent on what has been released and if its more appealing than other games. i loved strangerville and am now waiting for the patch to determine if i play this month or wait for the next patch.

eugh im walking away from that train of thought but the traits in sims 4 just need to be removed or renamed "interests" because they dont define a sims personality in any way shape or form.

Exactly what I think since the beginning. For the moment TS4 is like an untasty soup that you always need to add salt to eat it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019

That can certainly be added because that’s how it worked in the previous games* and it’s exactly that what describes my problem with the emotion system: them just getting emotions through auras that are attached to objects instead of behaviours or feelings of other sims. I think that was a major and essential oversight. I wouldn’t want every sim to be equally sad when another sim would be sad by the way, like evil sims wouldn’t be sad at all, they’d get happy. That could be attached to their trait. And I wouldn’t want them to pick up every emotion around them. I don’t get angry when I see someone being angry. It does cause me to have an emotion, but I won’t necessarily copy the emotion. It wouldn’t work either when a whole room would become sad or angry just because one was.

*I remember for example how Belisama Hemlock became sad, then angry when her mother flirted with my sim and I pushed it as far as ordering them to woohoo in the shower. First she became sad and walked over to them, then she scared my sim (sneaking up from behind) and when I had ordered them to woohoo in the shower, she went into the shower for a brief moment, causing for the action to drop.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019

I agree when you allow them to have like ten traits they will all become the same, because there will be a lot of overlap. But it won’t happen with five traits, come on ;) In Sims 3 they have five (or more when they graduated) and it works just fine. Especially when you pick both character based traits and skill based traits.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member

You aren't being cynical, just honest.

Sims do act the same, clearly their design choices for didn't pay off. I paid good money for this game just like everybody else and expect any listed feature of the game to present, especially after so many years. As I have said on countless threads, they advertise it so they must deliver it. Honestly it's a joke at this point.
    edited April 2019

You aren't being cynical, just honest.

Sims do act the same, clearly their design choices for didn't pay off. I paid good money for this game just like everybody else and expect any listed feature of the game to present, especially after so many years. As I have said on countless threads, they advertise it so they must deliver it. Honestly it's a joke at this point.

Haha yeah an April fool. What a shame, but they don't seem to care of it. I have the feeling that this subject has been ignored from SimGurus since begining.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    As we may choose the walking style of a sims, I'd like to have two other choices. One for the way my sims sits (strait, crossed legs, almost lying on the chair, etc) and the way my sims sleep (moving alot, pushing and pulling the covers, flat on the back, in the middle of the bed, etc).

Traits should be driving the sims emotions and desires. There should be different reactions to different situations according to the traits.

Why is it that every sims feels bad when their comfort bar goes orange or red? A calm sims would just reach the bathroom without feeling bad about it. A slob sims could just pee on themselves or on the floor and just laught about it.

I thing that sims are the most important feature of the game, and if this feature doesn't deliver, then all the rest becomes pale and untasty.

I love the game, and I'm so afraid nothing is done about the sims themselves before the end of developpment.
    in this thread just wanted to say no matter the diffrent ways player plays there sims4 game i wanted to add that all players should get the content they went from previous sims game i also think sims compatabilaty should fit depending on sims trait ike for exemple neat sims are incompatible with slob sims and who also think that in the sims4 they should of brough back the sims2 persona of don lothario see wiki for diffrence https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Don_Lothario and who also thinks before sims5 is officaly annouce that the sims guru need to do there homework and read other players post and ideas sure i love the sims4 but after 4 years if i look at the lack of cars and vacation spots for sims have engough of sending my sims to the camping ground or the jungle would love to send my sims to a nice beach resort with there family or in the case of some players there sims got married and they went to send there sims to the resort hotel on a nice honeymoon.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

edited April 2019
    Melpomena wrote: »
    As we may choose the walking style of a sims, I'd like to have two other choices. One for the way my sims sits (strait, crossed legs, almost lying on the chair, etc) and the way my sims sleep (moving alot, pushing and pulling the covers, flat on the back, in the middle of the bed, etc).

Traits should be driving the sims emotions and desires. There should be different reactions to different situations according to the traits.

Why is it that every sims feels bad when their comfort bar goes orange or red? A calm sims would just reach the bathroom without feeling bad about it. A slob sims could just pee on themselves or on the floor and just laught about it.

I thing that sims are the most important feature of the game, and if this feature doesn't deliver, then all the rest becomes pale and untasty.

I love the game, and I'm so afraid nothing is done about the sims themselves before the end of developpment.

Hello, thank's for posting. I fully agree with you, I think the game would be funnier with different ways of sitting and sleeping, don't know why after two decades it is still not a feature. And we repeated it many times : give us coherent behaviours related to traits!
    in this thread just wanted to say no matter the diffrent ways player plays there sims4 game i wanted to add that all players should get the content they went from previous sims game i also think sims compatabilaty should fit depending on sims trait ike for exemple neat sims are incompatible with slob sims and who also think that in the sims4 they should of brough back the sims2 persona of don lothario see wiki for diffrence https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Don_Lothario and who also thinks before sims5 is officaly annouce that the sims guru need to do there homework and read other players post and ideas sure i love the sims4 but after 4 years if i look at the lack of cars and vacation spots for sims have engough of sending my sims to the camping ground or the jungle would love to send my sims to a nice beach resort with there family or in the case of some players there sims got married and they went to send there sims to the resort hotel on a nice honeymoon.

I think successors should always :
    1) keep the recipe of predecessors and after
    2) add new features.
    In our case, The Sims 4 only does the second one.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    I just got a few ideas for more aspirations

Great muse: This sim wants to master the violin, the guitar, the organ and the piano skills. Reward trait : awesome musician (more simeleons by deposit songs, playing in the street & working in the musician career)
    Super cooker: This sim wants to master the baking, cooking and gourmet food skills. Reward trait : awesome cooker (always good quality food, max upgraded kitchen equipment , the food this sim makes satisfy longer)
    Ace of speeches: This sim wants to master the charisma and comedy skill. Reward trait : good tongue (sims never get annoyed with this sim, always good jokes & gain more money from writing comedy books and working in the comedian branch)

Etc. In TS3 aspirations were like that and it was the reason why we had so much of them. I would love more aspirations.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I just got a few ideas for more aspirations

Great muse: This sim wants to master the violin, the guitar, the organ and the piano skills. Reward trait : awesome musician (more simeleons by deposit songs, playing in the street & working in the musician career)
    Super cooker: This sim wants to master the baking, cooking and gourmet food skills. Reward trait : awesome cooker (always good quality food, max upgraded kitchen equipment , the food this sim makes satisfy longer)
    Ace of speeches: This sim wants to master the charisma and comedy skill. Reward trait : good tongue (sims never get annoyed with this sim, always good jokes & gain more money from writing comedy books and working in the comedian branch)

Etc. In TS3 aspirations were like that and it was the reason why we had so much of them. I would love more aspirations.

Oh yes, I would definitely like more aspirations! Something like 'Perfect Mind, Perfect Body' and 'Chess Legend' from TS3 would fit my vampire sim perfectly.
    i think the sims4 is missing the classic recepies from the sims2 and the sims3 like for exemple lobster termidor the bake alaska cake (sims2) and as the cooking skill raises they also get to learn new recepies

this isnt so much to do with the 'sims themselves' but one way we could improve various sims in 3 was the skill journal. its something i miss alot and was a favourite feature of sims 3 for me.

while it didnt change the simselves alot in some aspects it added depth and difference. it also gave something to work towards on an individual sim, especially if aging is off.

for me if they brought it back, it would be a small step on the road of improvement
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I really think that so far it dosen't matter how many traits a sim could have, what matters is how depth each trait ansim can have.

I mean have them downgrade the current 3 trait slot to 1 trait slot, and you wpuld never see the difference between what are they now because of how shallow these traits are.
    edited April 2019
    this isnt so much to do with the 'sims themselves' but one way we could improve various sims in 3 was the skill journal. its something i miss alot and was a favourite feature of sims 3 for me.

while it didnt change the simselves alot in some aspects it added depth and difference. it also gave something to work towards on an individual sim, especially if aging is off.

for me if they brought it back, it would be a small step on the road of improvement

The skill journal? I don't know what is it, never experienced this in TS3. :open_mouth:
    I really think that so far it dosen't matter how many traits a sim could have, what matters is how depth each trait ansim can have.

I mean have them downgrade the current 3 trait slot to 1 trait slot, and you wpuld never see the difference between what are they now because of how shallow these traits are.

Yeah, impactful traits, with coherent behaviours, reactions. Romance system and a memory system, favourites and hobbies. Overhaul on whims and emotions. This is what we need.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    Summary of March 24 until April 7

Emotions
    • Revamp the happy moodlets into fine moodlets (once again, make the fine emotion the base one)
    • Separate the happy emotion to make it an appart one as the others
    • Give more power to the negative buffs
    • Every buffs except the happy one should be strenghten
    • Happy buffs should be powerful only when it is a big event
    • A sort of empathy system : sometimes sims can be affected by the emotions of others
    • Emotions related to traits : a calm sim shouldn't feel bad when comfort is low etc

Favourites
    • Sims should get extra moodlets (good or bad) by eating/drinking/watching/listening their favourite things

Aspirations
    • Great muse: This sim wants to master the violin, the guitar, the organ and the piano skills. Reward trait : awesome musician (more simeleons by deposit songs, playing in the street & working in the musician career)
    • Super cooker: This sim wants to master the baking, cooking and gourmet food skills. Reward trait : awesome cooker (always good quality food, max upgraded kitchen equipment , the food this sim makes satisfy longer)
    • Ace of speeches: This sim wants to master the charisma and comedy skill. Reward trait : good tongue (sims never get annoyed with this sim, always good jokes & gain more money from writing comedy books and working in the comedian branch)
    • We need more of them (perfect mind, perfect body, chess legend etc)

Whims
    • More diversity in whims related to traits & what sims are doing
    • Whims should always have a good reason (not just ''cause doesn't own that'' unless the sim has the materialistic trait)

Traits
    • More impactful traits (make them in depth, considering usually you just add one trait so you could take a bit more time on them)
    • They should influence behaviours (neat sims refuse to use dirty objects etc)
    • Nervous : this sim seems to always feel tense, relaxing activities have less impact on this sim. Having responsabilities (throw a party, apply for a job, parenthood etc) is always a big deal for him/her & makes this sim feel tense
    • Fearful : this sim is scared of pretty much everything (maybe time for a fear emotion?). A broken object, a barking dog, (yeah expand traits through packs) the dark, the night, loud music etc. He/she can even pass out when too much emotions (a birth, vampire, aliens etc.)
    • Afraid of water : this sim doesn't like water and can feel tense (would have been better with a fear emotion) in pools. This sim avoid taking shower and take them only when really needed.
    • Nudist : this sim likes to be naked, never feels embarassed to be nude and can be naked in front of children. This sim can also be happy while being naked & always choose to swim without any swimwear
    • Brave : this sim seems to always feel confident & like to put out fire. Nothing makes him/her afraid (even vampire etc).
    • A random hidden trait good or bad to give more challenge (can be turned on/off on CAS)

Behaviours & Reactions
    • Extra animations while standing or sitting related to traits (dance machine should maybe move the feets, music lover should always hum etc)
    • A sort of ''Reactions System'' : when someone of the family or friend divorces, has a fight, dies etc the intensity of the reaction should be stronger than when it's an unknown sim
    • Children should react stronger than adult to divorce, see the parents fighting etc (and of course get a moodlet that stays at least 2 days)

Extra
    • More group activities (soccer, hide and seek etc)
    • More activities (cinema, concerts etc)
    • More careers
    • More options in CAS (cousin etc)
    • More challenge in careers, relations etc
    • Sims should stop the musical chairs (is it too hard to stay on one chair?)
    • Various ways of sitting (strait, crossed legs, almost lying) related to traits, a lazy sim will almost lying but a snob will for ex crosses the legs
    • Various ways of sleeping (move a lot, pushing and pulling the covers, in the middle of the bed etc) related to traits too

I guess it has been one month since I created this thread, I'm wondering if in two years we'll still be here asking for better personalities. I hope not. Anyway, thank's for the support and happy simming.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    The skill journal? I don't know what is it, never experienced this in TS3. :open_mouth:

i could be naming it wrong. it was the thing where each skill was listed and bonuses were given eg: learn 30 recipes to become a maven and all food is cooked to excellent status etc etc

i could be naming it wrong. it was the thing where each skill was listed and bonuses were given eg: learn 30 recipes to become a maven and all food is cooked to excellent status etc etc

Oh I see, that's great.

Tomorrow it's Maxis Monthly, maybe time for better personalities? But I don't want to be too bold.
    Lu4ERme.gif