Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality wise only, is the Sims Franchise dead?

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    I just mentioned this in another thread but TS5 should be released now instead. We are tired of waiting.

One thing that concerns me is that as soon as a new pack is released within a couple of days players are already talking about what the next pack would be. It was not like that years ago. There was a time when a new pack came out and players would talk about that pack for months. The excitement for any pack was huge and that was all down to the play ability of the packs.

Things seemed to have changed since TS4 was released. Set dressing follows a few teasers but once the next pack is released 'University in a closed world' I would bet that within a week someone will ask 'what packs are we getting in 2020?' and of course there will be that little teaser found and within no time the newest pack would be forgotten about aside from some bug complaints.

Get The Sims 5 done. No ifs, no buts!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Yes, it's over
    I just mentioned this in another thread but TS5 should be released now instead. We are tired of waiting.

One thing that concerns me is that as soon as a new pack is released within a couple of days players are already talking about what the next pack would be. It was not like that years ago. There was a time when a new pack came out and players would talk about that pack for months. The excitement for any pack was huge and that was all down to the play ability of the packs.

Things seemed to have changed since TS4 was released. Set dressing follows a few teasers but once the next pack is released 'University in a closed world' I would bet that within a week someone will ask 'what packs are we getting in 2020?' and of course there will be that little teaser found and within no time the newest pack would be forgotten about aside from some bug complaints.

I agree about fan behaviours. I don’t have any hope for sims 5 though. Why would it be different?
    They have a proven method of nickel and diming in return for little that works. Why bother pushing the boat out and making an in-depth game when set dressing and superficial game play is working? Where is the incentive when there are people defending endless amounts of dlc:

“That’s how games are these days” I had a game changer tell me this yesterday. Not all games do this.

Fans are thirsty for content they accept bad practice as the norm. Just a shame that the EA milk is sour.

Sims 5 has no incentive to be better. People are happy to pay for mediocrity. They grumble but whilst doing do reaching for their wallets.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything

You are definitely not a nobody. Your posts are always perceptive and polite. Along with Sparkfairy, I mostly identify you as being instrumental in keeping the family play thread going. 😊
    Awe thanks and I always find your posts interesting to read too and nice to have a different perspective. I miss her a lot. A lot of Simmers in that thread definitely felt like my first Sims family. It was a nice welcoming place to turn to and I hope she was happy the day toddlers came to the Sims 4. I knew there is no way we would have gotten them in the game had she not made those threads for toddlers and family play. That was a huge shock that day. I just hope that one day other play styles are represented too. I know I am more than just a family player, but I like to build and destroy in the Sims too. I had an interesting childhood not only playing with barbies, but legos and hot wheels and my sister setting fires in the trash can in our room. I think my childhood is reflected in how I play the Sims. I know reading Shakespeare and watching monster movies had a big influence on why I liked supernaturals too plus I know what it is like not to be liked and be different and supernaturals being related to health conditions, I can relate to that too. So it is like Sims is not only a game, but can be a method to cope, and a reflection of our lives and how we grew up too. That's why I hope other Simmers don't play exactly the way I do because I know their lives vary on how I grew up. I didn't have a lot growing up, so I always remember Sims was one of the few things my sister couldn't take away from me. It was one of the few things I could call my own. Why I hope the franchise survives because the game has been a huge influence on half of my life and inspired me to attend college and design my bedroom and bathroom. I just hope one day it inspires others to strive for their dreams too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Scobre wrote: »

You are definitely not a nobody. Your posts are always perceptive and polite. Along with Sparkfairy, I mostly identify you as being instrumental in keeping the family play thread going. 😊
    Awe thanks and I always find your posts interesting to read too and nice to have a different perspective. I miss her a lot. A lot of Simmers in that thread definitely felt like my first Sims family. It was a nice welcoming place to turn to and I hope she was happy the day toddlers came to the Sims 4. I knew there is no way we would have gotten them in the game had she not made those threads for toddlers and family play. That was a huge shock that day. I just hope that one day other play styles are represented too. I know I am more than just a family player, but I like to build and destroy in the Sims too. I had an interesting childhood not only playing with barbies, but legos and hot wheels and my sister setting fires in the trash can in our room. I think my childhood is reflected in how I play the Sims. I know reading Shakespeare and watching monster movies had a big influence on why I liked supernaturals too plus I know what it is like not to be liked and be different and supernaturals being related to health conditions, I can relate to that too. So it is like Sims is not only a game, but can be a method to cope, and a reflection of our lives and how we grew up too. That's why I hope other Simmers don't play exactly the way I do because I know their lives vary on how I grew up. I didn't have a lot growing up, so I always remember Sims was one of the few things my sister couldn't take away from me. It was one of the few things I could call my own. Why I hope the franchise survives because the game has been a huge influence on half of my life and inspired me to attend college and design my bedroom and bathroom. I just hope one day it inspires others to strive for their dreams too.

Just to derail for a sec, has anyone heard from @sparkfairy1? It’s been a long time, I hope she is ok!?

—T
  • Options
    Yes, it's over
    I
    To7m wrote: »

Are you okay? We most certainly do have the right to express disappointment here, what the heck are you talking about? You keep repeating that you like the game, you like the game and that it helps to to ignore us ‘rumblers’ but yet, here you are, expressing yourself, on the official forums.

As I said on another thread, if you’re *that* happy; Go. Play. Your. Game, and let us rumble.

—T
    We all have the right to be here. I do admit I was confused by that. I know I have broken a few TOS myself, so I'm not guilt free either. I know that we were all family players together but yes I don't know why we have drifted apart since. I am sorry for any offense I have done to you too. It is a struggle to voice for so many more playstyles and Simmers now. I know I don't deserve to be and still just as much as a nobody as when I joined forums.

I have to agree with @simgirl1010, definitely not a nobody. Believe it or not this is one of the few places where I actually remember peoples usernames, and look for specific posters. If I don’t see a specific poster for a while, I get concerned, it *is* almost like distant family. While TS4 does not put me into the best of moods, I look forward and enjoy visiting this site with you all. Even if it doesn’t seem that way at times, I am aware I can be a bit... harsh.

—T
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Yes, it's over

I agree about fan behaviours. I don’t have any hope for sims 5 though. Why would it be different?
    They have a proven method of nickel and diming in return for little that works. Why bother pushing the boat out and making an in-depth game when set dressing and superficial game play is working? Where is the incentive when there are people defending endless amounts of dlc:

“That’s how games are these days” I had a game changer tell me this yesterday. Not all games do this.

Fans are thirsty for content they accept bad practice as the norm. Just a shame that the EA milk is sour.

Sims 5 has no incentive to be better. People are happy to pay for mediocrity. They grumble but whilst doing do reaching for their wallets.

It's like a never ending rerun of Groundhog day, except things get worse with each run.

Not only do players talk about the next pack within days of the release of the last one, but the forums are usually full of people bored, suffering bugs, fed up with broken content or concepts, ETC which actually drives the talking for the next pack.

It's always next time it will be better, I'm afraid a similar thing is happening with the hopes for Sims 5.
    raw
  • Options
    @MidnightAura Some players might reach for their wallets but not me. I am untouchable in that sense. Only TS3 Store content gets my dough.

By all means I am not slaying anyone who wants to buy stuff for TS4, each to their own and all that but if you cannot get into the game now after five years then I don’t think that you ever will do
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @To7m wrote: »

Just to derail for a sec, has anyone heard from @sparkfairy1? It’s been a long time, I hope she is ok!?

—T

I don’t think she has posted on the forums much for a while. She might have been hear a year ago but the family play thread got closed as it was later seen as a ‘necro’ thread and hardly anyone was posting in it anymore
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other

You thought Sims 4 was bad for missing stuff - can't imagine what a Sims 5 would look like at this point.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Yes, it's over
    @MidnightAura Some players might reach for their wallets but not me. I am untouchable in that sense. Only TS3 Store content gets my dough.

By all means I am not slaying anyone who wants to buy stuff for TS4, each to their own and all that but if you cannot get into the game now after five years then I don’t think that you ever will do

Oh I know you don’t. Sorry I should have been clear, I quoted you as I agreed with parts of it but I know you aren’t included with the group I’m referring. It’s not a slate on those who buy the packs and genuinely enjoy them either. I have also bought whilst hoping it would be the pack that make the game “click” for me. I’m more referring to people like a friend of mine. She bought StrangerVille and Moschino stuff whilst hating the idea behind both. She has never played the StrangerVille story and has no interest too. She hated the moschino stuff items.
    When I asked her why she was buying it she said she had to as it’s the sims and she buys it all. And while I did that with the sims 1-3 I loved and still do love those games so it was an easy sell. But I wouldn’t buy dlc I wasn’t interested in for any game no matter how much I loved the franchise. I see many people have attitudes like my friends.
    Evil_One wrote: »

It's like a never ending rerun of Groundhog day, except things get worse with each run.

Not only do players talk about the next pack within days of the release of the last one, but the forums are usually full of people bored, suffering bugs, fed up with broken content or concepts, ETC which actually drives the talking for the next pack.

It's always next time it will be better, I'm afraid a similar thing is happening with the hopes for Sims 5.

Exactly. It’s so predictable now. I have never saw that that quickly for any sims game or any game.
  • Options
    Yes, it's over
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You want something released that is not even made? Really? LOL. You thought Sims 4 was bad for missing stuff - can't imagine what a Sims 5 would look like at this point.

Yeah... TS5 is going to have to be incredible for it to gain my trust again, and even then, they’re going to have to maintain a profession service for the entire period.

I don’t think they will. I don’t see it happening, myself.

—T
  • Options
    PhilaminaBPhilaminaB Posts: 64 Member
    They can still save the Sims 4 and the franchise
    I wasn't a huge fan of it when it came out but I like a lot of the features they've added into the game through various expansions and game packs. I think they're nearly there with making this game worthwhile. If they added in more personality and less emotion, it would be perfect. Oh and a few tweaks here and there. Multi-conversations are hella annoying.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Other
    A game is only dead to the player who has tired of it for what ever reason. Everyone always has an excuse why they stop playing different games - but in my case I doubt i will ever tire of the Sims completely - if I have not tired of them in 20 years. LOL. I have 3 versions i play Sims 2, 3, and 4 and if i tired of all 3 then yeah I'd say i was tired of them. But I always have a fine time playing which ever version I am playing and often miss the other versions I am not playing. So for me Sims is far from dead.

I would probably quickly tire of a new Sims wanna be though as i am already tired of hearing and seeing stuff about that very cartoony looking paralives and it has not even come out yet. LOL. I know i immediately did not like the look of Sims mobiles or any of Free play - so I tired of them before ever even trying them. It is usually the way I am about games. I can look at one and know I am not going to like it - no matter what the new game can do and therefore it will be dead to me.

I guess I am just a Simmer....

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yes, it's over
    A game is only dead to the player who has tired of it for what ever reason. Everyone always has an excuse why they stop playing different games - but in my case I doubt i will ever tire of the Sims completely - if I have not tired of them in 20 years. LOL. I have 3 versions i play Sims 2, 3, and 4 and if i tired of all 3 then yeah I'd say i was tired of them. But I always have a fine time playing which ever version I am playing and often miss the other versions I am not playing. So for me Sims is far from dead.

I would probably quickly tire of a new Sims wanna be though as i am already tired of hearing and seeing stuff about that very cartoony looking paralives and it has not even come out yet. LOL. I know i immediately did not like the look of Sims mobiles or any of Free play - so I tired of them before ever even trying them. It is usually the way I am about games. I can look at one and know I am not going to like it - no matter what the new game can do and therefore it will be dead to me.

I just wish we would finally get a Sims game that combines the best of all iterations in one with minimal drawbacks. Whenever I play one Sims game, there is often a lot I miss about the other two.
  • Options
    Other
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I just wish we would finally get a Sims game that combines the best of all iterations in one with minimal drawbacks. Whenever I play one Sims game, there is often a lot I miss about the other two.

That happens to me at times - especially with the Open world of Sims 3 - I really love the open world - but I work it out. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. I wanted that so bad when 4 was announced. It would truly be a great way to end the series. Go out with a bang you know? Give simmers the "perfect" sims game.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Other
    You can please some of the people most of the time.
    Most of the people some of the time.
    But never all of the people all of the time. B)
  • Options
    Yes, it's over

Besides we make our own stories - and if we tired of our own stories then perhaps we are tired of ourselves. Maybe some of us needs more focus on real life for a change if that is the case. LOL.

I disagree. We can make our own stories till the cows come home, but if the game doesn’t give us the tools to tell those stories- then what do you do? If you have bought all dlc you have spent £600 on this game- that’s a lot of money to pretend things are happening on the screen that clearly arent.

E.g say I want to tell a story of two siblings that don’t get along. Perhaps this stems from childhood, perhaps from an unforgivable event. I want the siblings to not be friends, I want them to have a strained relationship and for them to find it difficult to be in the same room. Perhaps I want one of them to find it difficult and as a result the tension affects other aspects of their life; like say their job- maybe they lose their job as a result. Later down the road I may want the pair to work on their relationship, maybe something drives them together be it positive or negative.

(For reference the above is what happened in my sims 2 game)

Now applying that to the sims 4, I would have to constantly spam negative interactions the entire time to get the siblings to dislike each other, the game would fight me every step of the way by having the sims interact positively like laughing and joking. Chances of losing your job in sims 4 is slim to nil and there isn’t many events that happen in game that could impact a relationship one way or another. We have no negative things like burglary, Sims don’t give a darn when other sims die long enough for it to be a driving force and anything positive I would have to pretend happened. I have to give my sims emotions they don’t have to tell my stories.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Other
    I’m most certainly not tired of my own stories, I’m filled with stories to tell. Just not in Sims 4 because for some frustrating reason they won’t come for me in Sims 4. Open Sims 3 though and pop pop pop pop, there they are. Can’t explain it, it is as it is. This is just fact for me, I’d appreciate it if this fact wouldn’t lead to strange conclusions about me being tired of myself or not focusing on real life enough. We will have to accept different people have different experiences and perceptions and all we do here is exchange those. I can do without the psychologizing to be honest.

Also, looks don’t define whether a game will ressemble a mobile game. Gameplay will. And we’ll have to wait and see about that, there’s no way of telling at this stage (Paralives). The only reason I’m starting to become really interested in the game is the amount of player’s customizability I see in all the footage shown. That get’s me hopeful and excited (because there lies a promise that the creator gets what’s important to players). It sure wasn’t graphics that made me decide to buy the goose game. I only got interested when someone told me about it and I saw the gameplay.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Yes, it's over
    Graphics don’t make a game. Game play does. The most beautiful games are dull if there’s no game play just things to exclaim “That’s so beautiful” over and over. I buy games to play not to watch.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    The goose game looks like silly fun. I am going to buy it.

It is kind of sad that a goose game looks like more fun then a Sims 4 game.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's over
    Uzone27 wrote: »

There is something different about TS4, you either love it, or hate it. There is hardly any in between. I don't ever recall anyone saying how much they disliked The Sims, nor how much they couldn't stand TS2. I do recall many complaints from TS2 players (me being one of them) of how much we disliked the removal of memories, smarter AI and added moodlet and a buff system in TS3. But it was still playble in Sim fashion if you ignored moodlets but many of us felt it was too 'easy' since they, too, didn't have much memory about stuff, not as much as TS2 Sims. But still likeable in many areas. It is only TS4 that has received the loudest complaints about the actual Sims themselves. Even those who love TS4 for building or gallory or CAS and clothes or whatever it is, agree most of the time, the Sim is shallow.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2019
    Other
    Cinebar wrote: »

There is something different about TS4, you either love it, or hate it. There is hardly any in between. I don't ever recall anyone saying how much they disliked The Sims, nor how much they couldn't stand TS2. I do recall many complaints from TS2 players (me being one of them) of how much we disliked the removal of memories, smarter AI and added moodlet and a buff system in TS3. But it was still playble in Sim fashion if you ignored moodlets but many of us felt it was too 'easy' since they, too, didn't have much memory about stuff, not as much as TS2 Sims. But still likeable in many areas. It is only TS4 that has received the loudest complaints about the actual Sims themselves. Even those who love TS4 for building or gallory or CAS and clothes or whatever it is, agree most of the time, the Sim is shallow.

Passion and objectivity make strange bedfellows.

There was such an outcry about the direction of this game when TS3 was announced (so loud) that I fled the TS2 forum as soon as soon as this one opened.

You think speculation about a pack is something? You should have seen the amount of pitchforking going on out here ranging from, on line ads, to mandatory log ins, to pudding faced Sims, to free will progression...there was no shortage of hate, and the game was delayed making that time period even more excruciating.

The game has changed. The gripes really haven't to be honest.
    When people hate on stuff before it's even released...I'm sorry there's no objectivity there. I've been saying this for a long time now.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

That's always been my problem, I'm stuck in the in between. TS2 still remains to be my favorite. Base game does have a lot of issues that need fixing and hopefully having visual videos now can hold the attention of EA since our posts don't matter much to them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller