Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality wise only, is the Sims Franchise dead?

SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hello fellow simmers,

First of all, I’d like to clarify that this poll focuses on objectivity regarding the quality of the franchise in comparison to what it used to be.

It is not about “I like the game so it’s good”.
You can like and enjoy something and still be critical of it.

It’s not about trashing the game for the fun of trashing it either.

There has been a lot of (well deserved) criticism of the Sims 4 lately and the becoming of the Sims franchise in general. Simmers and game changers have spoken up about the flaws in the game management and marketing and it’s beginning to get pretty heavy (emergency patch to “fix” issues reported by James in a very recent video and simmers for example).

We all love the game and most of us have been there since the very beginning.
And as a Simmer who got acquainted with the franchise as a child, I’m really saddened to see what this long loved game has become and is slowly but surely becoming.

The Sims 3 had issues. Undoubtedly. The routine and lag were terrible. Graphics weren’t so good and characters were terrible without CC. The Sims 2 was the last cherished installment by the makers of the game, mostly because Will Wright was still working on it. But the Sims 3 still had something. Open world, creativity, endless possibilities…

Five years into the Sims 4, the general consensus is that the game hasn’t delivered. It’s only trying to catch up with its far superior predecessors with great difficulty...

Among the points reported:

- The huge stepback regarding the better older versions (Sims 2 for gameplay and quality and Sims 3 for innovations)
- A crazy number of DLCs that lead to additional DLCs
- Empty expansion packs (Island Paradise, I’m looking at you)
- Bugs that never get fixed
- Half-baked content (the retail system, tiny worlds, no underwater lots, MERMAIDS, off the grid…)
- Complete lack of innovation, creativity and passion

EA is milking the game, killing it slowly for many.

They probably think we don’t see it but we do.

It's sad because we know they can still do it when they want. Vampires and toddlers are a great examples and the best of all 3 games from the Sims 2. So they can do it. Problem is, they don't do it enough. Just sometimes when we least expect it.

So, in your opinion, can the Sims return to its past grandeur or is it too late and are we watching the franchise we all love live its last years?
Post edited by SlayeurTown on

Quality wise only, is the Sims Franchise dead? 248 votes

Yes, it's over
27%
icmnfrshBluefairy286sillehbeeSid1701D9suetoopEvil_Onekeekee53PritzooobabajayneDijktafonesawdustXBanana00CreamXJessabeansBagoas77moltaziafruitsbasket101SumoBCinebarsimspeaker4KalaniCool 69 votes
I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
27%
auroraael14Stdlr9nickibitswardrudy8292LukejeepjeepcatManderMurduhsims2freak737AyradyssGoodywoodNianaSusanaLeoteWillowG145GoldenBuffySimQueenie9mazhylismock68ApparentlyAwesomeclassicXcrimeemorrill 68 votes
They can still save the Sims 4 and the franchise
24%
CK213IceyJgwennyPlayerSinger2010namelessrealityCynnaIrdiwenMariefoxprice83Vageniusbarracuda1574HannaZojaPegasystaydevRamblineRoseKhrisstyneCheezirationkatka_kynclovaFoxrox77ChampandGirlieJultan3 60 votes
Other
14%
Uzone27CamkatWritin_RegDglbr1969Bloosmoosimgirl1010SavorySagealanmichael1JoAnne65MissyHissyAyeffenDanmanNefariusSindocat3KNPenlasummerbbizuktagEnkiSchmidtHermitgirlMelpomenapinneduphair 36 votes
No opinion
6%
GoldmoldarAlrynnSimburianfriendlysimmersdetermigspice3KrayzieStrykerjames64468LiesSimChazzzyEvie0602SigRaroZhonnerdfashionEllupelluellu 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I strongly believe once Sims 4 is completed,EA will give us Sims 5,which will be 100 times better than Sims 4. I believe that Sims 5 wil combine things from Sims 1 and Sims 2,with a few things from Sims 3.

I'm also looking forward to Paralives to see how good it will be and if it will give EA some strong competition.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Other
    My daughter & I only played Sims 3 before Sims 4 came out. So I can only compare Sims 4 to Sims 3.
    Sims 3 had alot of varieties in the game that Sims 4 still doesn't have. However, Sims 4 doesn't freeze up like Sims 3.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    i should've voted the first option. as long as the sims are owned by ea, there's no hope for the franchise
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    No opinion
    All I know is without mods, I wouldn’t be able to play this game.

I would be beyond frustrated!

I honestly don’t know how console players do it. I bought TS4 on Xbox One for like $8 a few months back and it’s just not an enjoyable experience without mods to fix things that are broken or functioning as-is but still super annoying.

I don’t like that we can’t disable occult Sims. I don’t like that Sims wanna do the same actions over and over again and use the same objects over and over again.

I think the CAS and clothing options are the best in the series all around. I also love the graphics in the game. But I don’t think that far ahead with the whole “is the franchise quality over” question.

I continue to play the game because mods have curved my frustration. And when mods stop working or aren’t updated, I don’t play the game.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    With great reservation, I chose that the franchise can still be saved. Yet, that will only happen if EA takes on board everything that is being said about the current installment, good and bad.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2019
    Other
    I have no issues with the current quality. I love what they are already doing. Long term player since sims 1 and playing vanilla
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Yes, it's over
    I think its, meaning the series, lost its charm, at least for me. So, yes, personally I believe this is it. This will be the last iteration. And to be honest I hope it is. I don't need my heart strings pull again for another 5 plus years just to feel like I didn't get my money worth at the end of it all.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes, it's over
    It's EA. I love The Sims but they need to stop it!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No, it's not dead.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Other
    I think most newer packs (Strangerville, Moschino, Magic) have excellent gameplay. I'm deeply satisfied with my game at the moment.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    No opinion
    I just think I am over my Sims addiction and mostly only build now.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Other
    The poll options are just a tad skewed. I don't think TS4 needs to be "saved" because I don't think it's dying. I think it can be made better and I definitely don't think it's anywhere close to over in general. People, however, may be over it, but that's a different conversation.

(the emergency fix was for a bug that was game-crashing. the fix of the counters and columns? yeah, added quickly because they were pointed out by James and others, but unlikely the reason for the emergency push.)
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes, it's over
    Cynna wrote: »
    With great reservation, I chose that the franchise can still be saved. Yet, that will only happen if EA takes on board everything that is being said about the current installment, good and bad.

So the sims is dead, then.

Well, dead, had its organs sold on the black market, then had the rest of its body carved up and fed into a meat processing plant... Everyone's pets will be getting a new flavour next week assuming they can pay a premium price.

Post edited by Evil_One on
    raw
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Other
    I would say the game engine and the fact it is tied to being online make is subpar in quality to me. What I look for in terms of significant gameplay features are just not there.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2019
    Other
    Sorry there is no "general consensus" that says it's bad. There is a consensus with people you chose to listen to and agree with and obviously that who this poll is for, once again to try to prove something and rally the troops.
    I've played the game since the first one ... since the beginning of the first of even. I played as an adult also. I very much enjoy my game play and would rather have it the way they are delivering it now so that I can have more complete game play revolving around nearly every theme as it is released. Yes I do have had to wait longer, but for me it is proven better for how I play with it when it arrives. As usual I'll make my disclaimer that I didn't play Sims 3 for long because I couldn't tolerate it, the way it looked or the direction they took it in... so I can't really speak to the game play of it because I didn't like it enough to keep trying.
    I can't even play the older games I once enjoyed at this point, other than to load them up to remake things in this game. They just can't hold my interest anymore.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes, it's over
    After seeing the last few packs and lack of features they offered and the recent SimGuruDuke interview yes the Sims franchise is dead. Seriously they plan to continue a game for years that cant even have larger worlds because they say the game cant handle it and say diversity is the biggest issue the game is facing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Yes, it's over
    I hate to say this since i did love the sims 4 and kinda still do but the packs have being so ... empty. But i have still bought new packs even tho i know it's not worth the money but there is not yet game like the sims. If someone would make game like this then i could just forget this game and play others. Also i could play planet zoo when they release it or when beta is open even tho it's not similar game.
    I have still fun in this game but now only mostly building and creating sims.
    I was hoping that they would make better packs but i'm not waiting that anymore and don't want to be exited about packs before i see what is in there since it's always just dissappointment and just see the things they cut off.
    I would love to say that i still love the sims 4 and i'm happy whit it but i just can't, it's just over for me </3
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »

So the sims is dead, then.

Well, dead, had its organs sold on the black market, then had the rest of its body carved up and fed into a meat processing plant... Everyone's pets will be getting a new flavour next week assuming they can pay a premium price.

No. The original question was: is the franchise dead? As Sims 1, 2, and 3 are still out there, beloved by many, and are still actively being played, I can't agree that it is.

The current installment is a different story. Yet, I still can't say that TS4 is dead because quality is in the eye of the beholder. Unfortunately for those of us who want and expect better (after twenty long years!), there are still a lot of people out there who are perfectly fine with the direction that the series is going. Prettier, simpler, happier, easier... They're quite content with the quality of the game. Long after the rest of us have given up and gone home, those folks will still be spending their money and, in the end, that's all that matters.

Since there are no other options, only stiff competition will be able to kill The Sims.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Yes it is over. The world has become too PC to put any real content in. Everything is going to be too tamed going forward. The inclusive campaign will always exclude others. I feel like it is more like a political statement rather than inclusivity which is why it feels a bit less genuine.

EA has their own gaming agenda which is to have all game have an online option and this agenda has got in the way of making great content and that applies to all of their games not just Sims. I have zero hope for 5 because this agenda is still in place. Multiple platforms will probably make the release a nightmare and a barebones base game. I do however think it may not be as barebones as the Sims 4 base game release. Let’s hope they learned some lessons.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes, it's over
    Sims has always been inclusive and diverse. However, I think Maxis is highlighting it now trying to draw in new players. But in many ways, highlighting diversity makes it seem like the default really is white, male, CIS, straight and deviating from that needs to be mentioned. There are a lot of games that are inclusive, though, that don't draw attention to it. Probably not enough of them, but I'm all for as much diversity as possible in games because it makes the settings more interesting and more real. However, if you have to call attention to it, you're doing it wrong.

Edit: I think I need to give an example. Fallout New Vegas had gay companions. However, there was nothing in the promos or when you first met them (Arcade and Veronica) that indicated that they were gay. You learned it about them as you got to know them, along with many other things about their lives. It would have been beyond obnoxious if that's what they made the characters about rather than just having it be a part of them, and not that important in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other
    Quality is still good. Is there room to improve? Always. The Sims is fine. Maxis is fine. If you are bitterly dissatisfied, I recommend a long break, because you are burnt out on it.
    Felicity wrote: »
    Sims has always been inclusive and diverse. However, I think Maxis is highlighting it now trying to draw in new players. But in many ways, highlighting diversity makes it seem like the default really is white, male, CIS, straight and deviating from that needs to be mentioned. There are a lot of games that are inclusive, though, that don't draw attention to it. Probably not enough of them, but I'm all for as much diversity as possible in games because it makes the settings more interesting and more real. However, if you have to call attention to it, you're doing it wrong.

That sounds a lot like "I don't mind gay people, so long as they keep it to themselves".

Maxis has made, what 3 same sex premade couples in 20 years, and two trans/nonbinary premades? And as far as I know, none of those were announced or specifically made a big deal of. Players discovered them. It wasn't "Cats, Dogs, and A Gay Male Couple". Players had to speculate about Morgyn Ember in advance of RoM, because Maxis just put him in the trailers without comment. They are doing it the way you think they should, but you don't give them credit for it.