Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to premade lots ?

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The new premade lots are so...empty. There is no atmosphere, they're barely even furnished....

Here's the charm family home (ROM) and the Goth family mansion (base game) for a comparison.

The Goth mansion has a real atmosphere, it feels furnished, there's decor, clutter. It makes me want to play. And then the Charm family mansion is empty. I understand they can't fill the builds too much, but come on, a hallway with only a console table ?? A bedroom with just a bed ?? How is that ok ?? That looks like they were lazy and takes away from the game. I'm not asking for a ton clutter but just a house that looks lived in with a decent amount of furniture.

Charm mansion
47hoiLe.png
CiTijVH.png
LNxAQqN.png

Goth mansion
dAGOvmk.png
lMVb9xk.png

Comments

• Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I agree - they were very lazy. Look at Vlad's house and the Vatore's house in the Vampire pack - there is nothing in the ROM pack that even comes close to those. Just like they could not bother to give us the sages that were in the trailer. I am not a good builder at all so I rather depend on the premade houses a lot - I don't like gallery houses because too many use MOO.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    They even forgot to put a door on the back porch of one of the builds in ROM.

It's gotten from laziness to downright neglect.

Base game houses have a lot of heart and soul for the people living there, you could figure out their story from their houses.

But the houses in ROM? I don't have a clue who these people are at all. They have no substance, no personality at all. It's a shame. It only takes a good hour or two to properly furnish a house. Why wasn't that time taken to make these houses feel alive?
  • Options
    Exactly! The door thing is unbelievable.
    thecatsred wrote: »
    They even forgot to put a door on the back porch of one of the builds in ROM.

It's gotten from laziness to downright neglect.

Base game houses have a lot of heart and soul for the people living there, you could figure out their story from their houses.

But the houses in ROM? I don't have a clue who these people are at all. They have no substance, no personality at all. It's a shame. It only takes a good hour or two to properly furnish a house. Why wasn't that time taken to make these houses feel alive?
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The builds have gotten so lazy, on the outside aswell.

I remember the concept art for Willow Creek, how they tried to tie into real architectural styles and give it soul.
    latest?cb=20151008202529

In Glimmerbrook they believe the pack windows are enough to make the exterior looks like something and that's really not the case.
    And if you tell me they didn't have one to allow players to choose their own architectural style of Glimmerbrook, why the giant uneditable driveways then ?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    There's even a house that's empty. What the plum ?!

qv9JyZP.png

Edit : Other people have it furnished in their game, so it might be me who inadvertently clicked something.
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    The houses in Strangerville were all empty to "promote the feeling of uneasiness" or whatever drivel they tried to sell off.

It's Laziness, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The houses look like they’ve been furnished quickly. In ROM I mean. There’s a kitchen hood that’s not over the stove, windows weirdly placed, a sink without a mirror, a clothes rack over a window.....these are small details though.

But a house completely empty, why ?

thecatsred wrote: »
    The houses in Strangerville were all empty to "promote the feeling of uneasiness" or whatever drivel they tried to sell off.

It's Laziness, nothing more, nothing less.

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »

qv9JyZP.png

That may be an error, or maybe you accidentally selected it unfurnished?, as that's the starter house which, at least in my game, started with actual furniture in it. Furniture I replaced quickly, but furniture none the less.
  • Options
    Oh, my bad then. All I did was go into build mode and changed the view to half cut walls. Maybe I clicked something ?

There’s also a bug sometimes where some of my houses furniture disapears.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »

qv9JyZP.png

That may be an error, or maybe you accidentally selected it unfurnished?, as that's the starter house which, at least in my game, started with actual furniture in it. Furniture I replaced quickly, but furniture none the less.

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited September 2019
    I heard that they're intentionally making builds lackluster because of a specific gamechanger who's a builder. And if that's true, it's not only stupid and a justification for laziness, but totally unfair to anyone who isn't a builder.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    It's either laziness or someone at EA is starting to get worried about how full the game is getting. Unfortunately, it's mostly full of crap that's taking up real estate that could have been used by something substantial and meaningful.

Years ago, when the stuff pack avalanche started, I warned that the more moving parts there are in a game, the more there is that can go wrong. Well, I'm sorry to say, I (and those who were also beating the warning drums, many of whom aren't here anymore) was correct.

TS4 isn't only beginning to show cracks, there are big steaming fissures. The size of the worlds, the number of new pre-mades, all of the empty houses, and the mounting bugs are symptoms. And still, management is trying to cram more into the game, despite the reservations of the technical folks.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    So, what you’re saying is it’s going to go down hill more and more ? Well I mean if they put less and less furniture and lots, what will we end up with, a single unfurnished lot ?

Maybe they also lack time to finish the packs properly ? I have no idea how much time they take to make an EP, a GP or a SP though.

The lots were furnished ok till Cats and Dogs maybe.
    Cynna wrote: »
    It's either laziness or someone at EA is starting to get worried about how full the game is getting. Unfortunately, it's mostly full of plum that's taking up real estate that could have been used by something substantial and meaningful.

Years ago, when the stuff pack avalanche started, I warned that the more moving parts there are in a game, the more there is that can go wrong. Well, I'm sorry to say, I (and those who were also beating the warning drums, many of whom aren't here anymore) was correct.

TS4 isn't only beginning to show cracks, there are big steaming fissures. The size of the worlds, the number of new pre-mades, all of the empty houses, and the mounting bugs are symptoms. And still, management is trying to cram more into the game, despite the reservations of the technical folks.

• Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member

Partly laziness perhaps? But I think it also has something to do with all “reviews” the premade houses get. They mentioned lilsimsie specifically in a recent livestream, so I’m thinking there is beef/ hurt feelings on some level? Not to attack the YouTuber, but I literally just tried to watch her university leak video (thinking this one would be more positive, as she definitely does not like the recent addition of “freaks” - oh I mean occult’s in her game), and within 3 minutes I had to stop coz again it was just: this is stupid, this is bad, oh how ugly?! And that’s just the title of the EP lol! It’s the same with all her videos though, she throws around a lot of harsh words, that tbf would deter me from putting much effort into the premade lots, I dunno, each to their own opinions n all, but yikes girl. I think there’s a difference between feedback and just plain bashing/trolling of the game and team. Maybe they’ve given up by this point?

You mentioned the goth house as a “good example/reference” which does clearly have more effort gone into it, lilsimsie has like 4 videos dedicated to branding that house as ugly - sorry, renovating it; which she coincidently says is one of her favourite things to do, renovate the premades, so kinda hypocritical if she’s gonna constantly complain about them? Just saying lol.. Orrrr maybe that’s what they mean when they reference lilsimsie? They are giving us houses we will “have fun renovating”? No shade to lilsimsie like I said, I’m just trying to analyse the situation as clearly she’s got their attention 👀
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    There could be a lot of reasons a home isn't fully furnished. Is it a starter house? Many people that play this game need starter houses and can't afford the Goth house... they might not be able to afford it for a long time. I know I eyeballed the rose cottage as a starter in the base game all the time but it's too expensive to get for awhile for my sims. It's a very small home and fully furnished but of no use to me for a starter family. There are many that don't want to cheat to get that first house either... if they have the basics, toilet, sink, bath, bed and some way to make food and throw stuff away they can start their sim out and then furnish it as they can afford it with things they actually need for their sim and the activities they want their sim to pursue.
    What if your sim is an athlete... you need room for two pieces of workout equipment. If your sim is a mixologist you need room for a bar and stools. What if your sim is going to be a nerd brain... but you have a piano in your home that you will never use. I rarely get my sims tv's because for some reason they seem to become couch potatoes when I do .. so it's usually a bookcase, desk and chessboard (sometimes they don't get computers).
    They have to work with what comes in the pack and what comes in the basegame. After all these complaints I'm surprised they even add worlds at all to gamepacks in particular since they come with less overall in comparison to EP's.
    We also have the gallery to replace homes or look up redos. It would probably be a great idea if someone would furnish some of these homes and fix them up a bit.. Actually that's done.. those homes can be found.. but for me I won't use MOO if I can help it and that seems to be the way people do these things. Also if they are redone people might complain there are too many packs used. I know if I did it I'd use alllll the packs. Too bad I'm not that good at decorating it would be an interesting project.
    People are going to always find a way to complain about something if it isn't done the way they expect it to be done. This is a non issue because obviously there are many ways people could want this done. It's a house .. furnish it.
    If anything I'm more upset if things aren't playtested or are off center... like the driveway of one of the homes in GF. I know this one had a missing door and that was an obvious oversite, but a door is replaced a lot easier than a driveway.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    Didn’t the kitchen table in the Goth mansion come with the wrong chairs originally? I believe it had the blue kid chairs.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited September 2019
    The base game could show all the objects and the new packs can only show a few base game objects and show off the new Pack's objects. That's because everybody must have the Base Game but may not have any of the others apart from the new one you bought. Simple. If you have all the packs, just having base game builds and objects in it can be an annoyance too.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    Maybe gamers helped fill the world with their lot builds. Or Maxis kids, (they let them do stuff and put it in the games, too) or maybe because that one builder left a few years ago and was moved to mobile. She had worked on TS3 worlds and lot builds and TS4 base worlds/lots and some packs before she was moved to mobile. SimGuruSara worked on worlds and lot builds, too, since TS2, not sure if she is still here? Or if that isn't part of her duties anymore. Or (as I said in a different thread) maybe this world was left over for the car pack they had planned and was used here instead. They do that you know, they have stuff already created and put aside and use it somewhere else and then it might not make much sense to us. ETA: But then I saw these same complaints for SV, and some other EPs/GPs I didn't get. It might be because the one who built lots and worlds is at mobile.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Partly laziness perhaps? But I think it also has something to do with all “reviews” the premade houses get. They mentioned lilsimsie specifically in a recent livestream, so I’m thinking there is beef/ hurt feelings on some level? Not to attack the YouTuber, but I literally just tried to watch her university leak video (thinking this one would be more positive, as she definitely does not like the recent addition of “freaks” - oh I mean occult’s in her game), and within 3 minutes I had to stop coz again it was just: this is stupid, this is bad, oh how ugly?! And that’s just the title of the EP lol! It’s the same with all her videos though, she throws around a lot of harsh words, that tbf would deter me from putting much effort into the premade lots, I dunno, each to their own opinions n all, but yikes girl. I think there’s a difference between feedback and just plain bashing/trolling of the game and team. Maybe they’ve given up by this point?

You mentioned the goth house as a “good example/reference” which does clearly have more effort gone into it, lilsimsie has like 4 videos dedicated to branding that house as ugly - sorry, renovating it; which she coincidently says is one of her favourite things to do, renovate the premades, so kinda hypocritical if she’s gonna constantly complain about them? Just saying lol.. Orrrr maybe that’s what they mean when they reference lilsimsie? They are giving us houses we will “have fun renovating”? No shade to lilsimsie like I said, I’m just trying to analyse the situation as clearly she’s got their attention 👀

Honestly, if she gets to them that bad she should be removed from the game changer program. It’s possible to renovate lots without being rude. It’s like, I get that they reused a floor plan for a Strangerville house, but honestly? It made sense to do so, stuff doesn’t have to be different just for the sake of being different.
  • Options
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    ddd994 wrote: »

Honestly, if she gets to them that bad she should be removed from the game changer program. It’s possible to renovate lots without being rude. It’s like, I get that they reused a floor plan for a Strangerville house, but honestly? It made sense to do so, stuff doesn’t have to be different just for the sake of being different.

I disagree she should be removed. If everyone was a 'yes man' nothing would ever change for anything in life. Borg would rule. She isn't rude she has an obsession with builds. Just like I have obsessions about simulation and the lack there of. Nothing should be repeated in a new pack, and especially no borrowing lots already in game. That's just cheap.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    They have been doing that since Strangerville, not surprised here.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »
    They have been doing that since Strangerville, not surprised here.

The game has gone on for five years. Maybe they are tired? Like they have a bunch of lots in a tray (I'm sure their developing tools and files are nothing like in game) and they pull a file and don't remember they already used that lot in the base. Or it was crunch time and the had no time left to build a new one and very little time and just slapped some different paint on one. (SV) But it's still just cheap to do that over and over. Once in a blue moon seems it was an oversight or burn out, but more times all through the game seems more like they are forgetting what they have already done. Or maybe not and reusing assets has become the status quo for TS4.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Anyway I’d like to give a shoutout to the new bar that is so magical that it was made entirely out of base game content. I checked by saving it to my library.
  • Options
    Really ? I guess the bar they gave us was too small. (BTW : we have enough bars, please give us other stuff instead).
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Anyway I’d like to give a shoutout to the new bar that is so magical that it was made entirely out of base game content. I checked by saving it to my library.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Maybe gamers helped fill the world with their lot builds. Or Maxis kids, (they let them do stuff and put it in the games, too) or maybe because that one builder left a few years ago and was moved to mobile. She had worked on TS3 worlds and lot builds and TS4 base worlds/lots and some packs before she was moved to mobile. SimGuruSara worked on worlds and lot builds, too, since TS2, not sure if she is still here? Or if that isn't part of her duties anymore. Or (as I said in a different thread) maybe this world was left over for the car pack they had planned and was used here instead. They do that you know, they have stuff already created and put aside and use it somewhere else and then it might not make much sense to us. ETA: But then I saw these same complaints for SV, and some other EPs/GPs I didn't get. It might be because the one who built lots and worlds is at mobile.

Wait, which car pack? There was a car pack?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg