Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those arguing why the Hijab & whatnot are not in a seperate pack:

Comments

• Options
    SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    🔪🔪🔪 Get back at them. LET'S GO.

Uhmm... What's with the violence? I think people have concerns, which this doesn't help with... Especially since you said you are a Muslim.

It would be nice to hear what the Muslim people in the forums (simmers) feel that the Hijab is, for them, personally. And, to hear from Muslim people if this actually is a religious item (and if men wear it- or why not, if they don't?).

There are many people who speak for others, and it is not always accurate... But, we have so many issues that really ought to be talked about. Those who said they don't support having something (clothing/religious item?) which is seen as an oppression of women- Do you support cheating spouses in your game (because lolz?), or do you support overtly sexualized clothing on women (there are some women who have experienced the oppression of that over-sexualization and disrespect).

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited September 2019
    SimChi wrote: »

Uhmm... What's with the violence? I think people have concerns, which this doesn't help with... Especially since you said you are a Muslim.

It would be nice to hear what the Muslim people in the forums (simmers) feel that the Hijab is, for them, personally. And, to hear from Muslim people if this actually is a religious item (and if men wear it- or why not, if they don't?).

There are many people who speak for others, and it is not always accurate... But, we have so many issues that really ought to be talked about. Those who said they don't support having something (clothing/religious item?) which is seen as an oppression of women- Do you support cheating spouses in your game (because lolz?), or do you support overtly sexualized clothing on women (there are some women who have experienced the oppression of that over-sexualization and disrespect).

LOL, I'm not being violent. It's just an emoji. 😂 😂 I'm not gonna kill you all. Calm down. Sorry if it offended you. 🙈

I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but I said I don't see the hijab as a religious clothing. Now, where I come from, we are not being oppressed to wear hijabs. It's actually a choice. 😁 But I cannot speak for other countries that are more strict.

Oh and also men don't wear hijabs. Hijabs are worn by women to "cover" themselves to "conserve" themselves.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

LOL, I'm not being violent. It's just an emoji. 😂 😂 I'm not gonna kill you all. Calm down. Sorry if it offended you. 🙈

I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but I said I don't see the hijab as a religious clothing. Now, where I come from, we are not being oppressed to wear hijabs. It's actually a choice. 😁 But I cannot speak for other countries that are more strict.

Oh and also men don't wear hijabs. Hijabs are worn by women to "cover" themselves to "conserve" themselves.

It's a violent emoji. Not funny. And no, you didn't offend me. I am being perfectly calm. I am pointing out that there are people who are concerned about Muslim people because of violence (I am not one of them, though I do know there are violent people in all walks of life- one need only read the boards here to see that). What I am saying is that you posting a violent emoji (why would you choose that specific emoji?), and stating that you are Muslim, is showing those people a confirmation (though you are not all Muslims). Hope that makes sense?

And, you also showed the people, who are concerned about the articles of clothing on the women being oppressive, that they are not wrong either (in their concerns). If the clothing article was to be respectful of the women who want body privacy - and is seen as representing equality- then that is completely different.

It would be helpful to have more dialogue.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you say as you aren't going to change people's mind.

Now that they brought a religious item in, they need to bring in more or people will feel excluded (now I am fully expecting a cross for my goth and other sims or won't feel included. Already have no Native American items that I need as part Native American. I always feel sort of forgotten). Not everyone wants that in their game at all, so an optional pack would be a better option and please everyone instead of forcing it into games as people need to update the games. It does take up space in the game even if not used. It should be the players choice.

I still feel they should of gone with something that represents the whole culture or country in order to be fair, stay neutral and show different cultures without exclusion. Not everyone in Middle Eastern countries wears that or are Muslims. There are quite a few different countries.

I am also part Native American and you are right, there is nothing to represent this culture at all. Not even a dreamcatcher. So now I guess they will have to consider adding more tribal stuff, too. Who knows if they will get around to it. I hope so. Also, in the Island Living there is the Kava Bowl but I have been actually waiting for a Wok to be added in a patch or pack for a while now.

Those items would be cool, especially since City Living brought in some Chinese dishes, so it makes sense to have a wok. I like the kava welcome welcome wagon as it was a nice cultural touch and they even added some Filipino decor which people are happy about.

It would be nice to have some pottery, kachina dolls and some beadwork, etc...
  • Options

Now that they brought a religious item in, they need to bring in more or people will feel excluded (now I am fully expecting a cross for my goth and other sims or won't feel included. Already have no Native American items that I need as part Native American. I always feel sort of forgotten). Not everyone wants that in their game at all, so an optional pack would be a better option and please everyone instead of forcing it into games as people need to update the games. It does take up space in the game even if not used. It should be the players choice.

I still feel they should of gone with something that represents the whole culture or country in order to be fair, stay neutral and show different cultures without exclusion. Not everyone in Middle Eastern countries wears that or are Muslims. There are quite a few different countries.

I am also part Native American and you are right, there is nothing to represent this culture at all. Not even a dreamcatcher. So now I guess they will have to consider adding more tribal stuff, too. Who knows if they will get around to it. I hope so. Also, in the Island Living there is the Kava Bowl but I have been actually waiting for a Wok to be added in a patch or pack for a while now.

Those items would be cool, especially since City Living brought in some Chinese dishes, so it makes sense to have a wok. I like the kava welcome welcome wagon as it was a nice cultural touch and they even added some Filipino decor which people are happy about.

Couple things here need to be brought up. For education sake, not contention.

There are many 'Native" (North American) tribes, not all of whom believe in,or use, dreamcatchers. There are Many tribes, who have different practices and beliefs, and many individuals within those groups who do not subscribe to all practices either... But if you do want a dreamcatcher, there are CC ones available.

2: Not all islanders agree with the use of drugs/alcohol (Kava), and it is offensive to them to have that stereotyped into the game. Just as not all islanders agree with playing with spirits.

Hope this informs (rather than angers) people a little more.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Couple things here need to be brought up. For education sake, not contention.

There are many 'Native" (North American) tribes, not all of whom believe in,or use, dreamcatchers. There are Many tribes, who have different practices and beliefs, and many individuals within those groups who do not subscribe to all practices either... But if you do want a dreamcatcher, there are CC ones available.

2: Not all islanders agree with the use of drugs/alcohol (Kava), and it is offensive to them to have that stereotyped into the game. Just as not all islanders agree with playing with spirits.

Hope this informs (rather than angers) people a little more.

I am well aware, I never said there was just one tribe. Please don't treat people like we don't know, that itself is offensive. I can't discuss every single tribe though as there are like 500.

Also I didn't bring up the dreamcatchers, someone else did. I bring up the little Hopi dolls.

• Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    edited September 2019

"Oh and also men don't wear hijabs. Hijabs are worn by women to "cover" themselves to "conserve" themselves."

That's the problem. Why should women conserve themselves? Why shouldn't men conserve themselves? This is the pointing to the main problem.

That's why I want to flip it.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options

It's a violent emoji. Not funny. And no, you didn't offend me. I am being perfectly calm. I am pointing out that there are people who are concerned about Muslim people because of violence (I am not one of them, though I do know there are violent people in all walks of life- one need only read the boards here to see that). What I am saying is that you posting a violent emoji (why would you choose that specific emoji?), and stating that you are Muslim, is showing those people a confirmation (though you are not all Muslims). Hope that makes sense?

And, you also showed the people, who are concerned about the articles of clothing on the women being oppressive, that they are not wrong either (in their concerns). If the clothing article was to be respectful of the women who want body privacy - and is seen as representing equality- then that is completely different.

If there are people who are gonna think that Muslims are probably violent cuz of my knife emojis, then they should get off the internet. Simple as that. There are many many more people who actually do violent stuff out there who aren't Muslim and if they want to compare my one post online to that... I don't have time for this. 😑 I've been on this site a long time, a lot of people know me here but at this point, I'm just being salty cuz a lot of people here seem to be against my religion due to misunderstanding and it bothers me.

I don't get what you mean by your second paragraph. Can you elaborate? I don't remember saying those people are not wrong either, did I? I'm confused. XD
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

If there are people who are gonna think that Muslims are probably violent cuz of my knife emojis, then they should get off the internet. Simple as that. There are many many more people who actually do violent stuff out there who aren't Muslim and if they want to compare my one post online to that... I don't have time for this. 😑 I've been on this site a long time, a lot of people know me here but at this point, I'm just being salty cuz a lot of people here seem to be against my religion due to misunderstanding and it bothers me.

I don't get what you mean by your second paragraph. Can you elaborate? I don't remember saying those people are not wrong either, did I? I'm confused. XD

Or maybe you shouldn't use an emoji that represents violence? A knife? Really? That sure doesn't help.
  • Options

Or maybe you shouldn't use an emoji that represents violence? A knife? Really? That sure doesn't help.

I usually use that emoji as something that's like 'getting back at them'. Why you all making it hard for me?? 😭😭😂 Fine, I'll just remove it. Sheesh. >.>
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

"Oh and also men don't wear hijabs. Hijabs are worn by women to "cover" themselves to "conserve" themselves."

That's the problem. Why should women conserve themselves? Why shouldn't men conserve themselves? This is the pointing to the main problem.

Why are you asking me this? I'm not God or the Prophet. Don't question people's religion. The only thing I know is that they do that cuz sometimes men tend to oversexualize women or stare at them (and they get a sin when they do), and that's why they make that rule. 🤷‍♀️
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    edited September 2019

Why are you asking me this? I'm not God or the Prophet. Don't question people's religion. The only thing I know is that they do that cuz sometimes men tend to oversexualize women or stare at them (and they get a sin when they do), and that's why they make that rule. 🤷‍♀️

I wasn't asking you but asking in general, although you seem to be fine with it, sadly. I'm not, not even a bit. It's based on stereotypes and lies, by the way. Men have been socialized to act that way, they're not any lustier than women, really. I stare at hot people (I'm a woman). Some women are very visual, some men aren't. Religion built up these gender lies. Our society is still poisoned by this.

"they get a sin when they do" according to that religion, NOT a fact.

Asking in general, is it OK for women to "get sins" when they objectify men (or other women)? I suppose Islam assumes women don't. What a laugh! How sad. And this burden is on the women to protect men from this sinning. Wrong.

And I will always question people's religions every day.

ETA: I was also "asking" as a thought-exercise thing. We humans should think deeply about everything. Ponder and question WHY.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The only thing I know is that they do that cuz sometimes men tend to oversexualize women or stare at them (and they get a sin when they do), and that's why they make that rule. 🤷‍♀️

Instead of dealing with the men who oversexualize and abuse women, why is it that a woman is 'forced' to hide herself - instead of teaching men to be respectful- and dealing with those men- who are the actual issue? It's not a woman's fault that (those) men can't control themselves. It is the inadequacies (of those men) in regards to conduct and respect.

Personally, I prefer body privacy, and I loathe that it is (at times) because of the lack of ability in some people to control themselves, and that those people do not see a person (beyond their exterior- be it clothing, or body type, or other such things). Though, there are those who don't control themselves regardless of what clothing is worn. And yes, alternatively, I was shocked to have met some women who find it amusing to dress in provocative clothing to evoke that sexuality (and some of those people have no respect for monogamous relationships, or the damage they inflict)... Not really sure how to deal with those people, and I think that is an issue that a lot of people want to know (how to not have those people around). I also loathe that there are women who are forced to wear certain sexual clothing (and they are manipulated into seeing that as their worth). I think the whole thing is deep conversations with individuals. Certainly, it appears that there are an overwhelming amount of people who want to choose what they do, or don't, allow into their world... How to deal with that... ?
  • Options

I wasn't asking you but asking in general, although you seem to be fine with it, sadly. I'm not, not even a bit. It's based on stereotypes and lies, by the way. Men have been socialized to act that way, they're not any lustier than women, really. I stare at hot people (I'm a woman). Some women are very visual, some men aren't. Religion built up these gender lies. Our society is still poisoned by this.

"they get a sin when they do" according to that religion, NOT a fact.

Asking in general, is it OK for women to "get sins" when they objectify men (or other women)? I suppose Islam assumes women don't. What a laugh! How sad. And this burden is on the women to protect men from this sinning. Wrong.

And I will always question people's religions every day.

ETA: I was also "asking" as a thought-exercise thing. We humans should think deeply about everything. Ponder and question WHY.

Wow, just wow. I'm not even gonna argue with you about this. And yes, I'm sure the women also get sins when they objectify men. That's why the men don't walk around with their clothes off either, technically.

How about you just believe what you want and let me believe what I want and keep it that? Thanks.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Yeah and we have to remember one time until 70s Christan women had to cover their heads- hence why we see hats in stuff like Pollyanna (Hailey Mills version) and Anne of Green Gables
    This is WAY wrong. Very, very wrong. Hats in previous decades were just fashion, nothing else.
  • Options
    The only thing I know is that they do that cuz sometimes men tend to oversexualize women or stare at them (and they get a sin when they do), and that's why they make that rule. 🤷‍♀️

Instead of dealing with the men who oversexualize and abuse women, why is it that a woman is 'forced' to hide herself - instead of teaching men to be respectful- and dealing with those men- who are the actual issue? It's not a woman's fault that (those) men can't control themselves. It is the inadequacies (of those men) in regards to conduct and respect.

Personally, I prefer body privacy, and I loathe that it is (at times) because of the lack of ability in some people to control themselves, and that those people do not see a person (beyond their exterior- be it clothing, or body type, or other such things). I also loathe that there are women who are forced to wear certain sexual clothing (and they are manipulated into seeing that as their worth).

Again, I don't make the rules. But as you can see, it's just almost impossible to teach some men to be respectful towards women sometimes even in different cultures or religions. :D
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member

I will question the religion if it impedes on women’s rights. If men cannot control themselves when looking at a woman that is THEIR PROBLEM! The onus should not be on the woman it should be on the man. I do not want the hijab in a free update in the base game because I fundamentally disagree with what it represents.

If EA wants to be inclusive stick it in a paid dlc pack called religion and call it a day. These guys just want free press.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Penelope wrote: »
    Yeah and we have to remember one time until 70s Christan women had to cover their heads- hence why we see hats in stuff like Pollyanna (Hailey Mills version) and Anne of Green Gables
    This is WAY wrong. Very, very wrong. Hats in previous decades were just fashion, nothing else.

Agreed. EVERYONE wore hats back in the day. If you went outside, you wore a hat. Mostly as a practically, No matter your belief system. Head coverings of a religious nature are a completely different thing.
  • Options
    Logisitcs wrote: »

I will question the religion if it impedes on women’s rights. If men cannot control themselves when looking at a woman that is THEIR PROBLEM! The onus should not be on the woman it should be on the man. I do not want the hijab in a free update in the base game because I fundamentally disagree with what it represents.

If EA wants to be inclusive stick it in a paid dlc pack called religion and call it a day. These guys just want free press.

I think it's fine if you disagree with my religion, but you don't have to question it. It's not very nice and it's quite rude actually. :\
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

A religions of the world stuff pack might have been a smarter idea.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

And you guys are giving it to them by making a big stink about the content, lol.

Seriously, had this just been added quietly to the game without anyone freaking out, no one would be talking about it. But now you know it's going to be all over Sim news articles and Game Changer videos and everyone's going to be talking it up because "controversy!"
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    Islam is okay

All other religions are plum.

That's basically what EA is saying.

Whatever
  • Options
    Zachsims wrote: »
    Islam is okay

All other religions are plum.

That's basically what EA is saying.

Whatever

tenor.gif?itemid=9495049
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    To be honest, rather than separating the stuff into a pack I would prefer it so that ye made it that we could turn off any item we don't want and stop it from showing up. It takes me forever to find my favourite items scrolling through all the other stuff sometimes because I always forget what pack everything's from. and there's so many things from other packs or the base game that I would never ever ever use that I would like to just turn off completely and make it easier to find the stuff I would use. Have it so that it'll show up if I download a SIM from the gallery wearing it, but it just doesn't show in my Cas items and random townies wouldn't generate wearing the items that you turn off either.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

1.) People seem to think a HIJAB is cultural wear woman wear in the Middle East and elsewhere. No. It is not. It is religious. And a symbol of oppression. Women are jailed for refusing to wear hijabs in Iran.

2.) That the mods here are closing threads because they’re discussing religion... WHEN THE DEVS HAVE INTRODUCED A RELIGIOUS SYMBOL IN THE GAME!!!!

Yes, the Hijab is religious wear, but it is not solely that anymore. Many wear their Hijab, not just for religion anymore. A girl from my university wore a Hijab despite not following any religion, she did it because it created a special relationship with her family where only they could see her entirely. Of course, this does not mean her idealization of the Hijab is not sprouted from the oppression of women in those countries, but is not the only reason anymore.

Huh? Where do you get this stuff?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top