Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those arguing why the Hijab & whatnot are not in a seperate pack:

Comments

• Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    I just want to know will townies be generated with it? If so..is there a way to disable it? If not in game then by MCCC? I'm not expert with MCCC I barely use it..
  • Options
    SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    SimChi wrote: »
    Weren't you the one who asked me why men don't need to cover themselves? I've already explained myself and I don't want to explain again. And if you're gonna ask me why there is no set rule that Muslim men don't need to wear a hijab to cover themselves, I suggest you visit a mosque or a Muslim education center and talk to an Ustaz. Cuz I don't think I have the "credentials" to talk about these things either cuz I'm not highly religious. :grimace: I merely know the basic stuff and sometimes I like to question some stuff to my mom too and she gets mad about it and gives a whole lecture on the religion. LOL.

This is why people are getting confused... You said that asking why men don't wear hijab needs to be asked to someone else (besides you)- because it's religious. I hope this is making more sense as to why people are saying they don't want hijab (because it is a religious item) in their game... You are actually saying it is religious (saying one needs credentials to discuss it, and that you can't because you're not highly religious).

[...]

Gawd, I am not saying the hijab is religious. I'm simply telling simmerLella to ask someone more religious cuz she's asking me why men don't wear hijabs or cover themselves which is totally out of the question and topic.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, HIJABS ARE NOT RELIGIOUS but they are worn to cover the skin!! Other pieces of clothing also cover the skin but you all don't see it as religious and neither do Muslims.

It needs to be asked by someone else cuz simmerLella over here keeps on questioning my religion and I may not have the answers to everything. Cuz when I was younger, we were not told to ask questions like this and just learn to accept it. I never had to ask any of my elders why men don't wear hijabs, therefore, I don't have the correct answer for that and that's why I suggest she asks someone who actually knows more about the religion.

I'm not asking her to ask someone more religious because hijab is a religious thing but rather, I would want them to hear it from a more 'professional' person. Makes sense?

It's like you are asking someone why is it so important to eat vegetables and exercise; I can give you some reasons that I've learned but it's always better to ask a nutritionist this question rather than just some random person online.

I only tell you all what I know and believe in. That's all. But if you want to dig deep into my religion, this is where I would have to ask you go to someone who has studied and understood the rules and laws of this religion.

That being said, I don't know why the heck EA decided to add headscarves like this in the game cuz I just know people are gonna be super sensitive about it. And I wish they would just take it out. Cuz seeing all the hate here is really saddening.

Just to make myself clear:

Hijabs are not sacred objects (which is why I say it's not religious per se). They only serve a purpose. Our religion doesn't actually mind others who aren't Muslims to wear headscarves as long as they respect it. :)

Religious objects to me would be crucifixes, cross necklaces, the Bible, Quran, prayer mats etc.

I hope I make myself clear, just in case.

Okay, to be clear... Because there is so much misunderstanding (on both sides). Covering the skin is a religious practice, yes? If yes, then do you understand why people view the covering to be a religious item? Saying that people can wear headscarves (if they respect it) would indicate (to some people) that it needs to be respected because it is a religious item... Those people are not saying a hijab is sacred. Those people are saying it is religious.

And, the hate that you see everywhere comes from people questioning you? Do you view questions as hate? I have seen one outright hateful comment (that shocked me) about 'picking them (anyone wearing a hijab) off' in that person's game. And I have seen some questionable comments that really do appear to be hateful (though, maybe those people aren't good at expressing themselves in text). But, I see a lot of people actually asking, and trying to find out, and trying to show others that there are (indeed) some women who have been forced to wear that item, and they have spoken publicly against it- and those women should be respected.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited September 2019
    Weren't you the one who asked me why men don't need to cover themselves? I've already explained myself and I don't want to explain again. And if you're gonna ask me why there is no set rule that Muslim men don't need to wear a hijab to cover themselves, I suggest you visit a mosque or a Muslim education center and talk to an Ustaz. Cuz I don't think I have the "credentials" to talk about these things either cuz I'm not highly religious. :grimace: I merely know the basic stuff and sometimes I like to question some stuff to my mom too and she gets mad about it and gives a whole lecture on the religion. LOL.

This is why people are getting confused... You said that asking why men don't wear hijab needs to be asked to someone else (besides you)- because it's religious. I hope this is making more sense as to why people are saying they don't want hijab (because it is a religious item) in their game... You are actually saying it is religious (saying one needs credentials to discuss it, and that you can't because you're not highly religious).

[...]

Gawd, I am not saying the hijab is religious. I'm simply telling simmerLella to ask someone more religious cuz she's asking me why men don't wear hijabs or cover themselves which is totally out of the question and topic.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, HIJABS ARE NOT RELIGIOUS but they are worn to cover the skin!! Other pieces of clothing also cover the skin but you all don't see it as religious and neither do Muslims.

It needs to be asked by someone else cuz simmerLella over here keeps on questioning my religion and I may not have the answers to everything. Cuz when I was younger, we were not told to ask questions like this and just learn to accept it. I never had to ask any of my elders why men don't wear hijabs, therefore, I don't have the correct answer for that and that's why I suggest she asks someone who actually knows more about the religion.

I'm not asking her to ask someone more religious because hijab is a religious thing but rather, I would want them to hear it from a more 'professional' person. Makes sense?

It's like you are asking someone why is it so important to eat vegetables and exercise; I can give you some reasons that I've learned but it's always better to ask a nutritionist this question rather than just some random person online.

I only tell you all what I know and believe in. That's all. But if you want to dig deep into my religion, this is where I would have to ask you go to someone who has studied and understood the rules and laws of this religion.

That being said, I don't know why the heck EA decided to add headscarves like this in the game cuz I just know people are gonna be super sensitive about it. And I wish they would just take it out. Cuz seeing all the hate here is really saddening.

Just to make myself clear:

Hijabs are not sacred objects (which is why I say it's not religious per se). They only serve a purpose. Our religion doesn't actually mind others who aren't Muslims to wear headscarves as long as they respect it. :)

Religious objects to me would be crucifixes, cross necklaces, the Bible, Quran, prayer mats etc.

I hope I make myself clear, just in case.

Okay, to be clear... Because there is so much misunderstanding (on both sides). Covering the skin is a religious practice, yes? If yes, then do you understand why people view the covering to be a religious item? Saying that people can wear headscarves (if they respect it) would indicate (to some people) that it needs to be respected because it is a religious item... Those people are not saying a hijab is sacred. Those people are saying it is religious.

And, the hate that you see everywhere comes from people questioning you? Do you view questions as hate? I have seen one outright hateful comment (that shocked me) about 'picking them (anyone wearing a hijab) off' in that person's game. And I have seen some questionable comments that really do appear to be hateful (though, maybe those people aren't good at expressing themselves in text). But, I see a lot of people actually asking, and trying to find out, and trying to show others that there are (indeed) some women who have been forced to wear that item, and they have spoken publicly against it- and those women should be respected.

Yes, covering the skin is a religious thing.

No, I don't understand how they see it as religious cuz we all wear clothes to cover ourselves too. So does that mean I should say all your non-muslim sims should not wear clothes?

Respect doesn't have to be tied to a religious reason. Respect is respect. You don't disrespect someone's culture or tradition, be it religious or not. If you are wearing a headscarf but then mocking it, it will be seen as being rude. If the hijab was solely a religious piece of clothing, our religion would def not allow non-muslims to wear it unless for specific reasons!

No, the hate are from other comments as well, not the solely the questions asked to me.

Also, it's not my problem if there are people out there who believe that the hijab is religious. If they want to think that, then they're making it hard for themselves. Maybe they should go out and ask Muslims themselves and learn more instead of misunderstanding and jumping into conclusions.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    They said "muslim inspired" in the stream.

I've always felt that real world/religious/political content should be left to modders. Once it starts getting added officially then you get rampages like this, and some of them are understandable. SimGuruDuke made a big fuss about diversity on GamesIndustry recently and if he meant what he said then more cultural/religious content needs to be coming out too. People who want endless updates with more inclusivity are justified because Duke said The Sims 4 is about inclusivity and diversity in an official article. The article was called "The Joyful Representation Of The Sims". The reality is that this is the path the developers have chosen.

Also the Holiday Pack completely scrubbed all references to Christianity. It renamed Christmas and included no nativity content alongside the Jewish/Diwali content.

I'm a part of the LGBT community and I didn't like the pride patch. Not all LGBT people associate with pride.

I want to know why they're adding this kind of content if discussing it is against forum rules for one thing.

100% agree with this.
    I already voiced my opinion many times in the past, I don't want religion in my game. I don't want pride swag in my game. I don't want real life people like Baby Ariel or her clothes. I don't want real life brands like Moschino either (with a jacket that even has MOSCHINO written in big bold letters).

The Sims is not supposed to be our real world but a fantasy, and in my fantasy, I don't want all those things that I see in real life. In The Sims discrimination doesn't exist, so there is no need for pride objects for example (also, as @PrincipleOfEntropy IRL not all LGBT people associate with Pride and pinkwashing, but that's another topic).

I will take the menorah as an example now. I love chandeliers and I love candles, I think the menorahs they added are beautiful BUT I can't bring myself to use them as a regular object because they are called like the real life religious item and I feel it's disrespectful for me to use them lightly just as I would any other candle in the game. Therefore, I can't use them in game. Maybe if they wouldn't have called them by their real name...

However, I understand other people want it and need to feel represented in such ways. But I always thought that that was the beauty of CC and mods (like for people that want violence in their games or real-life illnesses).
    Anyhow, since this is now a thing and it's apparent that they will continue to add real life people, political movements, religions, etc, this is what I want:
    I want it to be optional. I wish we had a filter where we could filter out individual pieces of clothing or furniture from our saves. I don't want them to take space in my catalogue and I don't want to see them there. It would also help for clothes and objects we simply find ugly.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I've made my own churches for the game as those are what I needed for my UK suburb and I used that vampire organ and graves for it as why should the devil have all the best objects? I have no worries about religious objects in the game if I am not required to use them. I have no interest in Religion, not being brought up with it though.

I would like some more saris and turbans too. I expect there are many Sims 4 players in India which has a huge population for EA to attract, much bigger than the USA or Europe.
  • Options
    ElectraRaiElectraRai Posts: 99 Member
    I like when sims wear cultural items. So i don't mind more cultural items especially free ones!

As long as they aren't adding pray option or other religious rituals i am happy :D
  • Options
    doublenoodlesdoublenoodles Posts: 89 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I actually would have preferred the "pride content" to be in a downloadable pack, similar to the holiday, guitar, and too large picture frame. That would solve a multitude of complaints, because it would only be downloaded if it was desired content. If history is of any indication, I will be forced to download yet another mod to make my game playable.

Why not just...not use it? Some packs oppose my views but I am not frustrated over them. I use what I want.

It does not and never will fit my gameplay. Do I need to be more blunt?

Then don't play sims 4, simple.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited September 2019
    I actually would have preferred the "pride content" to be in a downloadable pack, similar to the holiday, guitar, and too large picture frame. That would solve a multitude of complaints, because it would only be downloaded if it was desired content. If history is of any indication, I will be forced to download yet another mod to make my game playable.

Why not just...not use it? Some packs oppose my views but I am not frustrated over them. I use what I want.

Isn't the all sims games about the player ruling their own game? All these "cultural" and "social" agendas forced via free patches are against that aspect. It no longer is a sandbox style game when those are put in it.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Isn't the all sims games about the player ruling their own game? All these "cultural" and "social" agendas forced via free patches are against that aspect. It no longer is a sandbox style game when those are put in it.

I love how people's existence is "an agenda".
  • Options

I love how people's existence is "an agenda".

The way it is being implemented in-game makes it agendas.
  • Options
    LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member

I think players running their own game got tossed out the window a long time ago.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

I wouldn't want anyone to give their game. Everybody is entitled to play their way, It's not an online game that might thrust things you don't like on you, just don't use the CAS if you don't want to. It's just one thing in a plethora of head dresses that I find completely unusable in my own game.

I'm more interested in the building objects myself. I appropriate everything available. :)
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Cultural items and LGBTQ+ are optional, if you don’t like them, don’t use them.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

Too bad there's nothing you can do about it.

It's been said before but I'll say it again: Don't support the game anymore since the devs' decision to include representatives clearly doesn't please you or suit your needs.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I will just have to see how many townies spawn with it. If it is almost all, then it was a forced agenda put in game. I already mod certain clothing out, so wondering if I need to download yet another mod.
  • Options
    Has it been confirmed townies will spawn with the new items? Are people just assuming? I’ve never saw any of the previous cultural items being used on townies.

Although that said, I couldn’t care less. It’s just clothing. I do understand why some people don’t want the hijab in their game but I wouldn’t take offence at seeing it the same way in real life I don’t take offence at real life women wearing the hijab, brides getting married wearing a veil (shock horror I wore one too!) or little girls wearing communion dresses. You do you.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2019

I'm compelled to point out that this is a common fallacy. Telling someone to that if they don't like content, then don't use said content is an attempt to shut down critical thinking, as the person you replied to presented, and doesn't address the issue at hand, such as people's problems with the hijab and the pride content. The point of criticism is to weigh the merits of whatever the party talks about. Using a blanket statement like "don't like them, don't use them" is an attempt to cover up and/or dismiss the issue and doesn't allow said merits to be weighed.

Let them.
  • Options
    QueenarellaQueenarella Posts: 3,379 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

look up Pollyana.. and look up Anne of Green Gables it wasn't acceptable for women until the 70s or 80s to have our head uncovered in church.

There are still restrictions today. As a woman, you're not allowed to enter a church with your shoulders unclothed (that's why many brides wear an extra little jacket when they get married in a church) and pants/skirts/dresses must at least cover the knees.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I'm compelled to point out that this is a common fallacy. Telling someone to that if they don't like content, then don't use said content is an attempt to shut down critical thinking, as the person you replied to presented, and doesn't address the issue at hand, such as people's problems with the hijab and the pride content. The point of criticism is to weigh the merits of whatever the party talks about. Using a blanket statement like "don't like them, don't use them" is an attempt to cover up and/or dismiss the issue and doesn't allow said merits to be weighed.

Let them.

Not at all attempting to shut down critical thinking. Please don’t presume to tell me what my thought process was.

Edit to add: People who don’t agree with any of the free updates don’t have a choice if they don’t like it, their only choice is not to use it, or mod it out if that’s an option. That’s just facts.
  • Options
    Mw93Mw93 Posts: 59 Member
    > @Wulfsimmer said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I agree, none of that stuff should've been in the game in the first place but some people are asking for representation and they are providing so we just don't have to use what we don't want to use. It's simple.
    >
    > Though, I get your view of voicing against any political/religious content being put in *in general* and not directed at a certain party/group. That's 100% fair.

I believe your seriously missing the point here. Weve paid ea 40 🐸🐸🐸🐸 dollars for the base game which isnt an mmropg. How much more for expansion packs and in turn ea is essentially 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on their customer base for woke points. You can say it's simple just don't use it well your ignoring the fact I've paid ea close to 400 dollars to enjoy their games. I've bought and kept every game since sims 1 to sims 3 and because of their forces woke updates I've chosen not to buy the sims 4. I believe if you pay money for a freaking service you should have some say in what you want in your freaking game.
  • Options

look up Pollyana.. and look up Anne of Green Gables it wasn't acceptable for women until the 70s or 80s to have our head uncovered in church.

There are still restrictions today. As a woman, you're not allowed to enter a church with your shoulders unclothed (that's why many brides wear an extra little jacket when they get married in a church) and pants/skirts/dresses must at least cover the knees.

Really? I’ve seen many brides get married in church with a strapless dress and a sweetheart neckline! Perhaps it depends on the church. Also saw many guests with shoulders exposed too.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited September 2019

Sorry I don't see this as much of an argument, since townies wearing ugly, ridiculous outfits doesn't fit into how I want to play the game either but it still forces it on me since day 1. Hijabs don't even enter into that equation.

What I'm saying is, it's not like you could control that aspect of the game (without mods) before this upcoming update anyway.

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

This. (from personal experience from visiting a cathedral on a school trip where a classmate had to borrow a jacket else she wasn't allowed in, even though it wasn't during a mass).
    I've seen many a mention about modesty and covering up and how it's wrong in reference to the hijab but other religions have similar rules and restrictions, albeit with lesser punishments than some stricter countries or regions.
  • Options
    QueenarellaQueenarella Posts: 3,379 Member

Really? I’ve seen many brides get married in church with a strapless dress and a sweetheart neckline! Perhaps it depends on the church. Also saw many guests with shoulders exposed too.

There's probably a difference. I'm talking from a European perspective :)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

Wow, this is a new level of self-contradiction and you don't even see it in your own statement.

Yes, all players should be able to rule their own games. That's the point of being inclusive with cultural content. So that people of other cultures can have their own sandbox game and not a game that's exclusively American, white, middle class culture. The Sims is played worldwide, therefore, requires worldwide representation.
    #Team Occult
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top