Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those arguing why the Hijab & whatnot are not in a seperate pack:

Comments

• Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    Hope it doesnt sound rude, I just think it's kind of funny. You make a lot of fear-mongery topics (easily viewable by your post history) and that's never an issue, but now you're saying that people should wait and see how something is going to be implemented before complaining about it. Have we had a change of heart, or is it just that we only follow this philosophy when it's in our favor?

I think if people are being vocal about it now it's fine. Because the dev's have never shown that they actually care about what townies are putting on. They already do this with Turbans and those are religious as well. We've complained about the eyeball rings and the situation outfits for years now and nothing has been done about that. If the word doesnt get out before its patched in, then we might end up with random hijabs everywhere that never get fixed.

Yes, I won't hide that I ABSOLUTELY go ham on The Sims 4. (ESPECIALLY EXPANSION PACKS)

But the case is different, for example, when it was announced that elevators are just a portal, I didn't even think for a second before complaining because such things can't be easily tweaked while if hijabs appear on randoms, that can be easily and quickly fixed in a patch.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    *sigh* Surprised people have to explain this but here goes:

Are you seriously comparing the amount of content in the Holidays pack to this patch which has "Islamic" (even though, it is more cultural than anything but let's go with how the community is describing it) content which can be counted on your fingers? Are you genuinely convinced that they should make packs for EVERYTHING remotely representative? Because if so, that means the LGBTQ+ content should've had a pack and it didn't and we are all fine with it.

Simple, don't use it. "But BUT BUT TOWNIES WILL BE GENERATED WITH THESE OUTFITS Dx!!!" We don't know that yet, they may have unique tags, so chill.

actually a lot of people were not fine with the "Pride" stuff people had the same cow people are having other the hijab stuff

Which is ridiculous, honestly. Shame though because this community should've been the most open.

No one is forcing anyone to support anything. Just be respectful.

Being "open and respectful" doesn't necessarily mean taking everything while sitting down and just shutting up and by the same logic, means that those who aren't happy with it aren't being respectful. If anything, one could argue that it is disrespectful to the people who dislike that kind of content to just shut up and take it.

Many people, including other LGBT members, were not happy with the Pride items and searched for ways to remove them because we disagree with the notion of celebrating distinct differences for no reason (being black, gay, or a woman) and instead, prefer the celebration of being human. Just because a person dislikes Pride content doesn't mean they hate gay people. A gay person, for example, could dislike Pride because they don't want their sexuality to be made a big deal for no reason. Does that mean they hate themselves?

I don't like it because I fail to see the point. Am I disrespectful too?

You took my comment WAY out of context. People should be respectful to others who asked for that content. No one should be forced to accept anything and I repeatedly said that. I don't know for sure if that's the case but weren't the items in the pride patch hidden UNLESS you pick them? If so, then the patch shouldn't be slammed just because others don't like the content because they can just not use it.

There are no premade houses with pride flags and that‘s the difference. People won‘t experience pride content in their game unless they select it.

And I hope that‘s the same for religious attire such as the turban und hijab. I don‘t want townies running around with religious attire.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Are you seriously comparing the amount of content in the Holidays pack to this patch which has "Islamic" (even though, it is more cultural than anything but let's go with how the community is describing it) content which can be counted on your fingers? Are you genuinely convinced that they should make packs for EVERYTHING remotely representative? Because if so, that means the LGBTQ+ content should've had a pack and it didn't and we are all fine with it.

Simple, don't use it. "But BUT BUT TOWNIES WILL BE GENERATED WITH THESE OUTFITS Dx!!!" We don't know that yet, they may have unique tags, so chill.

actually a lot of people were not fine with the "Pride" stuff people had the same cow people are having other the hijab stuff

Which is ridiculous, honestly. Shame though because this community should've been the most open.

Being "open and respectful" doesn't necessarily mean taking everything while sitting down and just shutting up and by the same logic, means that those who aren't happy with it aren't being respectful. If anything, one could argue that it is disrespectful to the people who dislike that kind of content to just shut up and take it.

Many people, including other LGBT members, were not happy with the Pride items and searched for ways to remove them because we disagree with the notion of celebrating distinct differences for no reason (being black, gay, or a woman) and instead, prefer the celebration of being human. Just because a person dislikes Pride content doesn't mean they hate gay people. A gay person, for example, could dislike Pride because they don't want their sexuality to be made a big deal for no reason. Does that mean they hate themselves?

One could easily argue that yes, it's disrespectful because there are clearly many LGBTQ+ people who do want to celebrate what they see as being human, being different, being who they are without the need to try and fit in. No one is forced to celebrate Pride but how is it respectful to want to take that option away from others because you don't want to participate?
    And "no reason" may be true for you but for those who have had those parts of their humanity used against them? That's plenty of reason to want to celebrate that in spite of those who tried to harm them for being who they are. Silencing them only serves their oppressors and no one else.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member

You took my comment WAY out of context. People should be respectful to others who asked for that content. No one should be forced to accept anything and I repeatedly said that. I don't know for sure if that's the case but weren't the items in the pride patch hidden UNLESS you pick them? If so, then the patch shouldn't be slammed just because others don't like the content because they can just not use it.

There are no premade houses with pride flags and that‘s the difference. People won‘t experience pride content in their game unless they select it.

And I hope that‘s the same for religious attire such as the turban und hijab. I don‘t want townies running around with religious attire.

If I am not mistaken, the new household is only available through the Gallery?
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Silencing them only serves their oppressors and no one else.

Oppression over race/gender/sexuality doesn't exist in The Sims. Never has. We're talking about a video game, not real life. Real life is a separate issue. I don't need a video game to validate my existence.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    Silencing them only serves their oppressors and no one else.

Oppression over race/gender/sexuality doesn't exist in The Sims. Never has. We're talking about a video game, not real life. Real life is a separate issue. I don't need a video game to validate my existence.

And others want to feel represented in a life simulator.

Also, I was replying to someone who talked about real life Pride in general, not just in the SIms.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2019

One could easily argue that yes, it's disrespectful because there are clearly many LGBTQ+ people who do want to celebrate what they see as being human, being different, being who they are without the need to try and fit in. No one is forced to celebrate Pride but how is it respectful to want to take that option away from others because you don't want to participate?
    And "no reason" may be true for you but for those who have had those parts of their humanity used against them? That's plenty of reason to want to celebrate that in spite of those who tried to harm them for being who they are. Silencing them only serves their oppressors and no one else.

This entire argument seems stemmed from the belief that I'm talking about Pride in real life. I'm not. We're talking about a videogame, not real life. I'm talking about the Sims. What is the point of Pride items in a single player videogame? Meaning private worlds?

Edit: Let me clarify in my original post to prevent misunderstandings. My original post intended to explain why certain people feel certain things about Pride, but I'm talking about it in the Sims specifically.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    It doesn't matter what you say as you aren't going to change people's mind.

Now that they brought a religious item in, they need to bring in more or people will feel excluded (now I am fully expecting a cross for my goth and other sims or won't feel included. Already have no Native American items that I need as part Native American. I always feel sort of forgotten). Not everyone wants that in their game at all, so an optional pack would be a better option and please everyone instead of forcing it into games as people need to update the games. It does take up space in the game even if not used. It should be the players choice.

I still feel they should of gone with something that represents the whole culture or country in order to be fair, stay neutral and show different cultures without exclusion. Not everyone in Middle Eastern countries wears that or are Muslims. There are quite a few different countries.
  • Options
    andriandri Posts: 16 Member
    I don’t see it as an Islamic content. I see it as a middle eastern clothing style. For me, as a player, diversity in style is great
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    sorry but if it was really Middle Eastern where's are the headwear that the King and Prince(s) of Saudi Arab Wear?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    sorry but if it was really Middle Eastern where's are the headwear that the King and Prince(s) of Saudi Arab Wear?

You may have a point.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

This entire argument seems stemmed from the belief that I'm talking about Pride in real life. I'm not. We're talking about a videogame, not real life. I've never made the argument against Pride being shown in real life, I'm talking about the Sims. What is the point of Pride items in a single player videogame? Meaning private worlds?

My apologies, since you were talking about yourself and other SImmers who disagree with Pride, it came across as you talking about real life.

And since a big (though not only) part of The Sims is "create yourself", then that's precisely the point of including Pride items and the current cultural items as well as many others already introduced in the game (I wish they added a lot more, since for example there isn't a lot of Asian clothing in-game).
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    andri wrote: »
    I don’t see it as an Islamic content. I see it as a middle eastern clothing style. For me, as a player, diversity in style is great

But it‘s not middle eastern clothing, it‘s religious clothing. There are many Muslim majority countries that are Asian or European (such as Bosnia or Albania)

I‘d like people to have the option, but don‘t force religion upon people with townies or premade families that wear religious attire.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member

This entire argument seems stemmed from the belief that I'm talking about Pride in real life. I'm not. We're talking about a videogame, not real life. I've never made the argument against Pride being shown in real life, I'm talking about the Sims. What is the point of Pride items in a single player videogame? Meaning private worlds?

My apologies, since you were talking about yourself and other SImmers who disagree with Pride, it came across as you talking about real life.

And since a big (though not only) part of The Sims is "create yourself", then that's precisely the point of including Pride items and the current cultural items as well as many others already introduced in the game (I wish they added a lot more, since for example there isn't a lot of Asian clothing in-game).

Meh, I should've clarified a bit better, no worries. And I'm not convinced by that reasoning, but I'll drop the subject for the sake of the thread.
  • Options
    I don't count the hijab as religious wear. But I do count the knitted cap as religious wear sort of. Would it have been better to call the stuff "Arab" wear? So there weren't any religious connections? We also need a fez as well if it's "Arab" wear
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I don't count the hijab as religious wear. But I do count the knitted cap as religious wear sort of. Would it have been better to call the stuff "Arab" wear? So there weren't any religious connections? We also need a fez as well if it's "Arab" wear

But also non-Arab people wear hijab. Because it‘s religious attire.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    andriandri Posts: 16 Member
    [quote="FreezerBunnyCowplant;c-17228488"][quote="andri;c-17228474"]I don’t see it as an Islamic content. I see it as a middle eastern clothing style. For me, as a player, diversity in style is great[/quote]

But it‘s not middle eastern clothing, it‘s religious clothing. There are many Muslim majority countries that are Asian or European (such as Bosnia or Albania)

I‘d like people to have the option, but don‘t force religion upon people with townies or premade families that wear religious attire.[/quote]

If you found townie wearing something you don’t like. You can delete it and the game will generate random townie again. That’s simple
  • Options

But also non-Arab people wear hijab. Because it‘s religious attire.

Ah..non-Arab people who are CHRISTANS wear hijabs for a ton of different regions-its helps keep sun out of their eyes, or it keep sand out of their hair. Or non-Muslims women wear it to um? "support" their Muslims friends.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't mind the hijabs as long as not all my sims are wearing them. But if they're going to have hijabs we* should also have kippah and Keffiyeh too.
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member

I‘d like people to have the option, but don‘t force religion upon people with townies or premade families that wear religious attire.

If you found townie wearing something you don’t like. You can delete it and the game will generate random townie again. That’s simple

Or just not include it cause it’s not appropriate.
  • Options

I don‘t want religion to be forced upon me, since I play Sims to escape real life. If townies or premade families would now wear religious clothing I would stop playing the game.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options

The motto of the game is "you rule" so players should be able to choose what they want in their game.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member

The motto of the game is "you rule" so players should be able to choose what they want in their game.

I'm thinking that may not have been a very accurate statement on their part.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top