Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should the next Sims game go above the T rating?

123457...Next

Comments

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I like the present rating - I just think the devs need less childish silliness - not a higher rating - as it would be unfair to a whole lot of people who presently play as well as all those who would want to play from watching their parents play. Over half the people in my family who play the Sims started playing as early as 11. The game is quite popular with pre-teens and teens - as most of simmers know - seeing many now say they were those ages when they started.

Why alienate all those people?

Then, more than request than TS4 maintain T rating, would be desiderable than Origin has not parental control
    After all, who avoid play a M or A game if your account say you are T?
    Origin parental control

So you would be happy knowing young people under 18 who had been playing the game for several years could no longer play it because they changed the rating. As that is what would happen. Several of my family members have their games under their parents account because they are not 18 yet. They cannot go to games rated M at all on those accounts even though their parents can. So there is parental control on Origin.

Again, not that I particularly want or need M rated stuff, but it does feel like the easiest way to get around this problem is to make anything M-rated optional and skippable DLC. It wouldn't take away from the gameplay of people who like it as is, and would add gameplay for people who want more mature themes.

Then parents could still let their kids play the game by just never buying to M-for-Mature Game Pack or whatever. And while I don't know that I would buy it, I'd be fine if they made it because 1. some people would enjoy it very much and 2. it would DEFINITELY sell, and they could use that money to fund some more ambitious stuff for the rest of the game.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited August 2019
    An idea to start would be an option to tun on/off the censor mosaic

Being an option, why would raise the rating?

Even with a pop-up warning you than you must be 18+ when uncheck the censor mosaic (by defaut it is turned on)
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    They need to stop catering to children only. Some people have been playing for a minimum of 10 years. 15 if they started at TS2, more if they started with TS1. The first game was so smart and satirical while also being a cultural phenomenon and a first of it's kind sort of thing.

They seem to have dropped all the risky humor, the screaming, the chaos, sense of consequence and intelligence of TS1 and TS2 and traded it for PC-culture, bland make-believe and little effort in executing any idea.

So what I'm saying is: the previous games had teen rating and managed to have personality, take risks and have a little highbrow stuff not necessarily needing to be understood by kids, but not harmful either. TS2 had a therapist NPC that solves your sim's aspiration failure (depression), a social bunny which is the saddest thing in the world and appears if your sim is desperate to socialize, a burglar and a repoman, police, Mrs. Crumplebottom who hits you with her purse if you're kissing/flirting in public or wearing something inappropriate, etc etc etc!!!!
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I agree with what most of the other people said, they just need to bring it back to the Sims 1&2 level to actually use that T rating. There's lots of options for woohooing, but that's about as T as this game gets.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    What is T rating? I would like to see the sims 5 be more adult instead of all nicey and tame like it is now.
    More emotions and realism. The sims seem to all have the same personalities in sims 4.
    I'd also like to see some new type venues, we same to always get the same type to build but I'd like to build new ones.
    We can build as many buildings as we want at the moment but they do not work unless we can get ncp sims to work in them.
    I've built a photographers studio for example but it is quite useless without a working photographer to run it.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    mock68 wrote: »
    What is T rating? I would like to see the sims 5 be more adult instead of all nicey and tame like it is now.
    More emotions and realism. The sims seem to all have the same personalities in sims 4.
    I'd also like to see some new type venues, we same to always get the same type to build but I'd like to build new ones.
    We can build as many buildings as we want at the moment but they do not work unless we can get ncp sims to work in them.
    I've built a photographers studio for example but it is quite useless without a working photographer to run it.

@mock68 Since the game is made in the U.S. by AMERICANS. the site and U.S. version of the game is rated teen it means "Suitable for 13 and up. May Contain Violence, Suggestive Themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I miss the random bad stuff that happened in past iterations that constantly changed the story you were playing. In the sims 4 it's so hard to accidentally die that you have to make all the "random life events" happen yourself. Anyone remember how hard it was to keep a sim alive in sims1? I miss the challenge that making the sims 4 all sweetness and light took away. This all fit well within a T rating in the past.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    For what it's worth, the game is rated 12 in Europe (well, where I am). Having an actual 12yo in the house, she's been playing (well, started with TS3) since she was 11 and I wouldn't really have been comfortable with her playing much younger.

There are definitely things that could be added to the game that wouldn't in the slightest affect the current rating and I don't think the game *needs* to go up to a rating that's any higher to be enjoyable. The thing is, ratings are generally less based on things like violence or death and a lot more by how explicit sexual themes are (and that whole debate is a long one and not particularly pleasant). So no, I don't think the rating needs to go up, there's plenty of space for the inclusion of more interactions and activities and things for Sims to do without the rating changing.

The game being toned down for everything has nothing to do with whatever people call PC culture either (honestly, that's just a buzzword that gets misused a lot). More with those who scream "think of the children" when it comes to content that's even remotely suggestive.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2019
    For what it's worth, the game is rated 12 in Europe (well, where I am). Having an actual 12yo in the house, she's been playing (well, started with TS3) since she was 11 and I wouldn't really have been comfortable with her playing much younger.

In Germany The Sims games are USK 6 rated (appropriate for ages 6 and up).
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean, I'd like a more realistic game and agree that some of the things they do in TS4 seem silly and cheesy but it's a game after all. I remember being 10 years old back in 2000 and playing The Sims 1 base game for the first time. It were hours of fun and one of the things I loved about the game was that two male Sims were able to love each other, then live together.

Then with TS2 and TS3 we got Civil Unions and then Marriage. It made me very happy at that time in my life that a game would let me do these things I knew were normal but real life were not making it easy.

Just like me, I want more kids to discover this game and develop great memories playing it.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

In Germany The Sims games are USK 6 rated (appropriate for ages 6 and up).

Interesting. I went and looked it up because I was curious & it seems to be the exception (plus, some of the packs are rated 12) across Europe. Most everywhere else has a 12 rating.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    No, the teen rating fits perfectly. I've seen people request what rated M things they want in the game (saw someone say domestic abuse and r*pe for some disturbing reason) and I don't want those things touching my game and I genuinely don't understand why anyone would want that in their game.

There are a lot of darker things that can be incorporated in a T rating without it becoming inappropriate for actual teenagers. Instead of bloody massacres, they could have Sims poison others through food or drink and there could be murder that way, or have Sims that are arsonists set a house on fire, etc. I dont think the Sims should ever mimic reality completely, I don't play it to experience the same horrible things that already plague the world.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    mock68 wrote: »

@mock68 Since the game is made in the U.S. by AMERICANS. the site and U.S. version of the game is rated teen it means "Suitable for 13 and up. May Contain Violence, Suggestive Themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language"

Thankyou..
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    There are PG13 movies my kids are not going to see even at age 13. But that's because I actually parent my children. It's up to parents to keep their kids away from things they don't think they're ready for, not manufacturers. As long as the manufacturers are following the rating guidelines set before them then it's up to the parents to do the rest.