Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What age range do you consider each life stage to correspond to?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    For me, it would probably be:

Baby: 0-11 months
    Toddler: 1 year - 4 years
    Child: 5 years - 12 years
    Teen: 13 years - 19 years
    Young adult: 20 years - 39 years
    Adult: 40 years - 59 years
    Elder: 60 years plus

For the baby life stage my reasoning is that (apparently) most kids start walking around 1 year old and sim toddlers can walk.

I started child at 5 years because sim children start at school right away. It’s true that where I live (England) most children start school at 4 years old, but sim kids look much older than that so I bumped it up to 5. Of course, they also look much older than 5...)

For me, you are a teenager when your age has a ‘teen’ in it so teenager is 13-19

Young adult starts at 20 because that’s when you’re no longer a teenager (according to my reasoning above) and also because when a teen ages up into a young adult the pop up talks about how great your 20s are.

Judging by the appearance of adult sims I think their age stage probably begins at 40.

I’m guessing eider begins at 60 but it could also be 70 as elder sims can retire and retirement age (at least where I live) is over 70.

I agree pretty much with your assessment. EXCEPT for Elder. I'm 64 and don't walk all bent over, nor is my hair all white/gray. I'm going white, but ever-so-slowly. ;) I do get the occasional joint twinge. And we won't even talk about my lower back and hips. But, I blame that on a need for a new mattress. :*
    @GalacticGal haha I actually picked 60 for elders, not because I think 60 is ‘old’ but because I think the elder sims in TS4 look pretty young. I agree that the stopping and back pain does make them seem older and is a bit excessive but I was ignoring that. Your right though, 70 plus would probably be more accurate.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    @MaggieMarley Unless an Elder is unwell, then aging seems to be more rapid. (I'm guessing our Sims don't fare to well, in the health department. :open_mouth: ) I watched both of my parents dwindle before my eyes. Dad had Parkinson's Disease, and Mom suffered from Alzheimer's. Both are hideous afflictions.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,965 Member
    edited August 2019
    Baby
    born - 1 year
    Toddler
    1-6
    because they don't go to school
    Kid
    7-12
    since that is elementary here
    Teen
    13 - 17
    basic school would end at 15yo (meaning to choose next place to study yourself)
    but under 18 being adult is just off so i stretch it to match
    Young Adult
    18 - 29
    going by how its legally in my country with lowest age but idk i just feel it be mostly 20s
    Adult
    30 - 65
    like idk its just kind of like at this age you start worrying over ''getting old'' but not actually being ''super old''
    and its kinda like I see so many people being 60 and still looking like they could be 30-40 so??
    but also sort of feel like there is bit too many wrinkles to be 30 though.. but in a way... oh well
    Elder
    66 - ?
    I suppose. but its kind of like depends on your genes and health when you start becoming ''grandma''
    however I don't imagine 60+ would have it easy jumping around
    (though there again is exceptions (like me being ya and acting like grandma already))

also personally don't get need for preteens
    like idk what they even supposedly do that kids or teens don't
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2019
    Morkovka wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    What is the difference between an 11 year old and a 12 year old, in your opinion? You said child age goes up to age 11 and then there’s nothing for 12 year olds in the game so it’s skipped.
    I believe by "feels like a 12-16" they meant "looks like".
    Toddlers look and behave no older than a 3 y/o, kids look 6 at least and 12 at most.

@Chazzzy Not a lot but other than really early years, there's never that much of a difference between one year and the next. However a line needs to be drawn somewhere. A lot of people say Elders are 65 + but what's the difference between a 64 and a 65 year old? Not a lot. but I was thinking in terms of school grades Etc. The kids don't look older than grade 5 to me which where I am is usually 10 and 11 year olds. 11 to 12 is usually grade 6 and at middle school instead of elementary. So the 11 could be on either side but I was breaking it up where I thought the max should be rather than the minimum of the next year just because I feel like the middle school age group is skipped and at least 11-16 missing is better than 10-16 haha
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Baby 0-1
    Toddlers 1-6
    Children 6-13
    Teen 14-18
    Young adults 18-40
    Adults 40-70
    Elders 70 plus

I actually adjusted the length to the seasons in my game, and made the elders stage way longer than in the game.

I wouldn't want to be in the room with you when you call a 6 yr. old a toddler! :open_mouth: Just sayin'.

Grandmother of 12 ranging from newborn twins to 18 years of age.

Haha my 4 yo would be offended by being a toddler too. She wanted to create a sim self and was deeply offended when her sim self had to learn to use the toilet and talk haha.

She's 4, she can read, is learning basic multiplication, and how to ride a bike, she is in 3rd year of ballet and learning theatre, writes half page stories and was potty trained 3 years ago. I really have trouble imagining sims toddlers past age 2.5 max but if you go on looks only i could maybe say 3.5 but on the other hand the child Sims seem soooo much older than her, looks wise, school, homework, able to go to the park or stay home unsupervised...

This is why I want a preschool age group so badly. I love the age group and feel like preschoolers and middleschoolers are both completely skipped
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    edited August 2019
    Mine skip a lot because sims' aging isn't really gradual and I'm just going off of what I think they look/act like. I wish we had preteens because it's weird having your kids go from looking like they're around 7-10 years old to looking like they're around 16-18.
    Baby: 0-11 months
    Toddler: 2-4
    Child: 7-10
    Teen: 16-18
    Young adult: 20-39
    Adult: 40-64
    Elder: 65+
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2019
    In my game it is

Baby: 0-12 months
    Toddler: 1 year - 5 years
    Child: 6 - 12 years
    Teen: 13 - 18 years
    Young adult: 19 - 29 years
    Adult: 30 - 59 years
    Elder: 60 years plus
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    okay so I am basing this on what it feels like in the game and how that matches what I see IRL. There will be many stages skipped and I'll explain why.

Baby: 0-6 months
    Toddler: 1-2 years
    Child: 8-10 years
    Teenager: 16-19 years
    Young Adult: 20-35 years
    Adult: 35-59 years
    Elder: 60+

I gave babys a shorter time because they are stuck in the crib, and from what I've experienced they can start crawling at around 7 months.. that's something we never see in the sims.

Toddlers can walk and babble right of the bat when you age a baby up (see where did they ever learn that? just a minute ago they were bundled up in a crib and could do nothing but cry...), also per definition of what a toddler is, it's a child who's just beginning to walk, learning to talk. So it matches in the game they're well done for that matter. I however can't see them as a 3 year old, yeah you can make them look like it for a picture but they still only babble, and the 3 year olds I know can talk so there's that.

A Sim child feels like an 8 year old. Yes where I live you start school at the age of 6 and I could see them as six year olds, you can always make them look like it but in behaviour it's different. Seriously it's hard to grap sometimes but the differences a year makes during childhood and teenage years are huge due to all the growth they're going through (I'm not talking about their looks!)

The Teenagers are at least 16 years old although I'd go as far and say they're already like 17/2. There's basically nothing exclusive for that age range, they're kind of just stuck in the middle of being a sim child and being an adult. They can do adult things but still have to go to school. Even the clothing, from that age on they could be wearing the same shirt and no one would care about it. And because they already look like young adults from the start I'd say they are 19 at most

and jump right into young adulthood at the age of 20. Now they can go to work (instead of school) and do whatever, nothing really changes anyway. They kind of figured out who they are (have all the three traits now) and they still carry around their aspiration from teenage years because dreams keep us motivated xD. They can carry that one around until they die if you fail to complete it... so that kind of includes the Adult years. They feel a bit more mature than the young adult, maybe that's just me? it's just a feeling so whatever.

The Elders I have a hard time putting an age to. Again there's not really much for them to make them feel like an elder except for the back cracking apparently but then again I have Strangerville installed so who can say if it's just an elder looking teenager who's posessed, you know ^^ Yeah okay they can't get pregnant anymore and you need to be a bit careful with certain things so they don't just pass out and die but I don't know, in the Sims it's like they're just waiting around to do just that, pass out to meet the Grim Reaper.

So there are a lot of age ranges missing especially in the younger sim years but that's what it feels like when I play a family, and I play a lot of families. Sometimes it's how they look when aged up (there's no gradual aging so it's drastic). Sometimes it's the things missing, like experiencing first crushes, starting puberty. Sometimes it's the things they can or can't do. Parenthood helps a little with their cute rebellious phases and such but it's also irrelevant somehow. I mean teen Sim just announced he's rebellious and won't do what adults expect him to and then he goes to set the table (autonomously!!!!), sure be rebellious I guess.

In general I get it, I mean why make things age exclusive, like clothing or hobbies (*cough* voidcritters *cough*). Hey if you wanna wear that shirt you bought as a teenager many years ago then sure wear it. If you wanna play Bingo at the age of 12 go for it, it can be a fun game.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I use potions of youth to make the YA and adult stages line up better with these ranges:

Infant for first year
    Toddler from 1 to 5
    Child from 5 to 13
    Teen from 13 to 21
    YA from 21 to 45
    Adult from 45 to 69
    Elder from 69 to late 70s through late 90s depending on youth potions

The teen stage only lasts to 21 because it's the same length as the child stage so it has to cover the same number of years. Also as soon as they age they can drink.
    Most people don't retire until late 60s so I like saving the elder stage to then.
    Adults always get an aging makeover to look middle aged. And I don't have the try for baby in that stage except on rare occasions.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Interesting question! I think mine are about the same as yours, except to me "young adult" is only from, like, 20-30, and then "adult" would be 31 to 59, or maybe even to 65 or 70 (which means I sometimes use mods to make the adult stage proportionally longer than young adult, cause having them be the some number of days seems WAAAAAY off to me.) Age five seems both too young for the sims "child" stage and too old to be a toddler, but I'll err on the side of child (cuase those toddler really can't be more than 4). The "children" in sims 4 to be, like, 8-13, but that leaves a gap from 5-7, so, oh well, lol.
  • Options
    MilkMommyMilkMommy Posts: 7 New Member
    Baby - 1 year
    Toddler - 3-4
    Child - 5-13
    Teenager - 13-17
    Young adult - 18-39
    Adult - 40-65
    Elder - 65+
  • Options
    FitcheurFitcheur Posts: 27 Member
    - Baby : 0 to 1 years old
    - Toddler : 1 to 4/5
    - Child : 5 to 13 ( I wish we had pre-teen!)
    - Teen : 14 to 19
    - Young adult : 20 to 35
    - Adults : 35 to 60
    - Elder : 60+
  • Options
    EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    Baby: 0-2 years old
    Toddler: 2-5 years old
    Child: 5-13 years old
    (Weird gap between 13 and 16)
    Teenager: 16-19 years old
    Young Adult: 20-30 years old
    Adult: 30-50
    Elder: 50+
  • Options
    Drzombae1Drzombae1 Posts: 37 Member
    yeah I agree with your ranges
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I think Adult then Senior then Elder would make more sense. Correct me.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I think OP's view corresponds with my own.

I feel I can adjust the teens to look both young and older. Especially the boys as you can give them facial hair. But I also miss a way to adjust their height, because a 13-year old is far from always the same height as their parents. A 19-year old is more likely to be so, or even taller, as kids often outgrow their parents.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted