Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What age range do you consider each life stage to correspond to?

For me, it would probably be:

Baby: 0-11 months
Toddler: 1 year - 4 years
Child: 5 years - 12 years
Teen: 13 years - 19 years
Young adult: 20 years - 39 years
Adult: 40 years - 59 years
Elder: 60 years plus

For the baby life stage my reasoning is that (apparently) most kids start walking around 1 year old and sim toddlers can walk.

I started child at 5 years because sim children start at school right away. It’s true that where I live (England) most children start school at 4 years old, but sim kids look much older than that so I bumped it up to 5. Of course, they also look much older than 5...)

For me, you are a teenager when your age has a ‘teen’ in it so teenager is 13-19

Young adult starts at 20 because that’s when you’re no longer a teenager (according to my reasoning above) and also because when a teen ages up into a young adult the pop up talks about how great your 20s are.

Judging by the appearance of adult sims I think their age stage probably begins at 40.

I’m guessing eider begins at 60 but it could also be 70 as elder sims can retire and retirement age (at least where I live) is over 70.

Comments

• Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    Seeing as The Sims Studio made a statement recently that the game will still last for a while with even more content, I’d love for them to take their time and patch in the infant and “pre-teen” stage.

Newborn: The “furniture object” we get after giving birth. 0 wks - 2 wks

Infant: A Sim baby that can be carried around with minimal interactions. Can bathe in sink, change diaper, bottle or breastfeed while sitting, etc. 3 wks - 1 yrs
    ^ The Sims 2 babies for reference.

Toddler - 2yrs to 5 yrs
    ^ allow us to have them attend preschool after they gain x amount of skill points?

Child 6yrs to 10 yrs

Pre-Teen: 11yrs to 14 yrs

Teen 15 yrs to 19 yrs

Young Adult 20 yrs to 39 yrs

Adult 40 yrs to 55 yrs

Senior 56 yrs to 65yrs

Elder 66 yrs +
    Post edited by Hestia on
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,468 Member
    Similar to yours @MaggieMarley until the YA years:

Young adult: 20 years - 29 years
    Adult: 30 years - 59 years
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    For me it's:

Baby: 0-11 months.
    Toddler: 1 - 6. Babies usually start walking by the age of 1, so do toddlers in the sims.
    Child: 7 - 13. Where I live children start first grade at the age of 7 (we have 11 grades instead of 12), so do children in the sims.
    Teen: 14 - 20. 14 is usually the age people start high school, so do teens in the sims.
    Young adult: 21 - 34. Even though in my country anyone above the age of 18 is an adult, I feel like 21 suits the sims more.
    Adult: 35 - 55.
    Elder: 56+ Where I live you can retire at the age of 55 so that's the age my sims become elders.

Pretty basic overall. :)
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited July 2019
    I love this thread! I'm looking forward to reading all the responses.

I tried to figure out a scheme based on the short lifespan with each day equal to one year. It worked great for the childhood ages, but was way too short for the adult stages. So I doubled those and then gave elders the same 24 days.

So in my game
    Babies are 0 to 18 months
    Toddlers are 18 months to 5 1/2
    Children are 5 1/2 to 12 1/2
    Teens are 12 1/2 to 18 1/2
    Young adults are 18 1/2 to 42 1/2
    Adults are 42 1/2 to 66 1/2
    Elders are 66 1/2 to over 90

Probably way over complicated!
    Post edited by telemwill on
  • Options
    MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited July 2019
    Baby: 0 - 5 months (after that baby can sit, crawl, eat relatively solid food etc)
    Toddler: 1 - 3 years (at 4+ they can actually walk up the stairs, have favorite pop stars and ride a bicycle)
    Child: 7 - 12 years (that's when they can write and read fluently enough to be able to enjoy 300 pages of Lord of the Swings)
    Teen: 15 - 19 years (before that they shouldn't really make out in beds, I know they do but I really think it's premature)
    YA: 20 - 39 years
    Adult: 40 - 59 years
    Elder: 60 + years

Other stages are just missing, I can't strain my imagination hard enough to see a toddler as 5 y/o or teen as 13 y/o.
    Post edited by Morkovka on
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member

I would agree with this although I might put my elder age as a bit older. Under our current government I'd still be working at 60 and for many years after!
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Baby-0
    Toddler-3
    Child-10
    Teen-18
    Young Adult 20-39
    Adult 40-59
    Elder-60+
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019

I pretty much agree with this if we include all ages. It's wide ranging and arguably some ages don't quite fit into any life stage, but they work for the game and I do find you can make sims look older or younger with CAS. I wouldn't mind preteens being added at some point, but I would prefer to see some of the life stages we already have (i.e. babies, teens and elders) being developed further to make them more fun and distinct.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

Like this but elders starting at 65ish....Irl 65 seem soo young to me. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Baby: 0-1
    Toddler: 2-4
    Child: 5-11
    Teen: 13-18
    Young Adult: 20-34
    Adult: 35-64
    Elder: 65+
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    The way @loubyloulou has it ranged.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Toddler: 1 year - 2.5 years
    SKIPPED age 2.5-6. I feel like there is NO lifestage for this age group and wish they would add them. I have a 4 year old and the toddlers seem way younger than she does, but the kids on the other hand seem way older.
    Child: 7 years - 11 years
    SKIPPED again, I don't feel like there is any life stage in this game that feels like a 12-16 year old.
    Teen: 17 years - 19 years
    Young adult: 20 years - 30 years
    Adult: 30 years - 55 years
    SKIPPED: I feel like we need an "older adult" or Middle Aged to represent early retired adults that aren't already hobbling around and in the last stages or their life.
    Elder: 70+ years plus.

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’ve never put much thought into it.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    Toddler: 1 year - 2.5 years
    SKIPPED age 2.5-6. I feel like there is NO lifestage for this age group and wish they would add them. I have a 4 year old and the toddlers seem way younger than she does, but the kids on the other hand seem way older.
    Child: 7 years - 11 years
    SKIPPED again, I don't feel like there is any life stage in this game that feels like a 12-16 year old.
    Teen: 17 years - 19 years
    Young adult: 20 years - 30 years
    Adult: 30 years - 55 years
    SKIPPED: I feel like we need an "older adult" or Middle Aged to represent early retired adults that aren't already hobbling around and in the last stages or their life.
    Elder: 70+ years plus.

What is the difference between an 11 year old and a 12 year old, in your opinion? You said child age goes up to age 11 and then there’s nothing for 12 year olds in the game so it’s skipped.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    with the sims 4

newborn 6 months
    toddler 4
    kid 11
    teen 17
    young adult 24
    adult 35
    elder 60
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited July 2019
    Baby: Birth to one year
    Toddler: 1 to 4 years
    Child: 5 to 13 years
    Teen: 14 to 18 years
    Young Adult: 19 to 39 years
    Adult: 40 to 64 years
  • Options
    MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    What is the difference between an 11 year old and a 12 year old, in your opinion? You said child age goes up to age 11 and then there’s nothing for 12 year olds in the game so it’s skipped.
    I believe by "feels like a 12-16" they meant "looks like".
    Toddlers look and behave no older than a 3 y/o, kids look 6 at least and 12 at most.

• Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Baby 0-1
    Toddlers 1-6
    Children 6-13
    Teen 14-18
    Young adults 18-40
    Adults 40-70
    Elders 70 plus

I actually adjusted the length to the seasons in my game, and made the elders stage way longer than in the game.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,358 Member
    I'm going to skip a few years, because Sim's don't age in a smooth transition until Teen and beyond (and even then there are a few step ups)

Baby: 0-6 mos.
    Toddler: 2-4 years
    Child: 7-12 years
    Teen: 15-19 years
    Young Adult: 20-35 years
    Adult: 35-60 years
    Elder: 70+
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    Baby: 0-1
    Toddler: 2-4
    Child: 5-11
    Teen: 13-18
    Young Adult: 20-34
    Adult: 35-64

More this than anything else in the thread.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I don’t, really. There aren’t enough age groups for it to make sense. The ranges are too large.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Baby: Birth-1 1/2
    Toddler: 1 1/2-4
    Child: 5-12
    Teen: 13-17
    Young Adult: 18-39
    Adult: 40-59
    Elder: 60-Death
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,734 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have always found this difficult because I think some sims does not look like their corresponding age.

Babies look like 0-1 and toddlers look like 2-4 so they look about right, but the kids feel like 5-8 because they are so short. My niece who is 10 looks way older than what these kids look like in this game.

Teens looks like upscaled young adults without height mods, so for me they are around 16-18 unless you are using stuff from parenthood and design them to look younger.

Young adult feels to me like it should be a longer life span, but that is perhaps depending on when you see yourself become an adult. For me you are young adult around 18-40.

Adult looks older than 50 to me though, I think it is because of the skin details that your sim is getting. I have met people in their 50's who still look young.

Elder looks almost older than 60 to me, they look like 70-80 but I guess that is very different from person to person. I think the stance they get is a bit too much and makes them look very old.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,727 Member

For the baby life stage my reasoning is that (apparently) most kids start walking around 1 year old and sim toddlers can walk.

I started child at 5 years because sim children start at school right away. It’s true that where I live (England) most children start school at 4 years old, but sim kids look much older than that so I bumped it up to 5. Of course, they also look much older than 5...)

For me, you are a teenager when your age has a ‘teen’ in it so teenager is 13-19

Young adult starts at 20 because that’s when you’re no longer a teenager (according to my reasoning above) and also because when a teen ages up into a young adult the pop up talks about how great your 20s are.

Judging by the appearance of adult sims I think their age stage probably begins at 40.

I’m guessing eider begins at 60 but it could also be 70 as elder sims can retire and retirement age (at least where I live) is over 70.

I agree pretty much with your assessment. EXCEPT for Elder. I'm 64 and don't walk all bent over, nor is my hair all white/gray. I'm going white, but ever-so-slowly. ;) I do get the occasional joint twinge. And we won't even talk about my lower back and hips. But, I blame that on a need for a new mattress. :*
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,727 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Baby 0-1
    Toddlers 1-6
    Children 6-13
    Teen 14-18
    Young adults 18-40
    Adults 40-70
    Elders 70 plus

I actually adjusted the length to the seasons in my game, and made the elders stage way longer than in the game.

I wouldn't want to be in the room with you when you call a 6 yr. old a toddler! :open_mouth: Just sayin'.

Grandmother of 12 ranging from newborn twins to 18 years of age.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/