Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Lil{??}... those white boxes.. I had that happen before... I had NO content whatsoever in the build, was just building... used CFE to put in stairs with landings, and that's where the boxes showed up, at the stairs. I first tried deleting them {BEFORE I knew what they were} and fortunately, I couldn't delete them... the game NEEDS them. I had moved them, but then the stairs were unusable, so I had to put them back... THAT was a chore and a half... to put them back where they each belonged... so the sims could use the stairs properly again.. leave them alone, they disappear in live mode! At least mine did.

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my lot! :D
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    Nam

Sorry I haven't had time to go to T4T.

Store Items are fine. I suggest you restrict the CC to the minimum . If you have CC from TSR just check whether they have the 'W' as those Items do download.

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly! I am having a lot of fun making it too! :) Also, I already have my simself uploaded on the exchange, I will add the link to the T4T thread now.
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2009
    I thought I would take some interiors of my family house now they have moved in!
    f1xerk.jpg
    e87nso.jpg
    r2q34j.jpg
    34474n5.jpg

25qwytf.jpg
    10x9ev8.jpg
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    Smoky.the only cc I used in that beachhouse by accident was fencing,maybe some patterns.otherwise it should have been basegame items.sorry your having problems,seems to be going around lately.not sure if update has helped us.
  • Options
    craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited December 2009
    I have what may be a dumb question, Anyway i moved a sim into the house im working on strictly for picture taking. How do i move them out so i can finish the homework assignments without them taking all the furniture with them?

Thanks,

Craig.
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2009
    Darkside, I wasn't picking you out in particular it seems to happen a lot in downloaded lots, and as I said I wondered if it was cc. But everything seems a little haywire at the moment. As I said before I wish EA would warn of changes etc, what did Firefox do to them?

Also due to sheer ignorance, I wanted just to share my family house here, not on the exchange and when I was looking at the lots on the exchange, there was mine. My name on it so I must have somehow added it and it got downloaded 12 times....they might be sorry because it is full of cc's. I'd better read everything I can find on this aspect too. My head hurts.
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    :?Arrggghhh this is sooo slow today, it's taking forever for me to be able to post!

Spryte, I love the house and the landscaping! I want to sit there now and enjoy some nice warm sunshine!

Someone mentioned that maybe I had too many pics on the one wall... I think what the problem was, was that the pics were so big- but, couldn't find smaller ones so I did change the room a little, just swapped the pics out for other decor.
    33a6laa.jpg

Haahahha I have come to conclusion after dealing with the Woods family that they are very real!! Here are results when I attempted to get a family photo of them by the tree!! I got them all set up and each time I thought I had a good shot, one of them would blow it!! :lol: This is the best of the bunch! Since they're not really build related, I am posting the rest of the pics in my creations thread!!

312y87t.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have what may be a dumb question, Anyway i moved a sim into the house im working on strictly for picture taking. How do i move them out so i can finish the homework assignments without them taking all the furniture with them?

Craig, there should be an option to evict them without their belongings? When you're in edit town mode, click on that house to bring up the info box for it, look on the evict family options. It will move them to clipboard, you can then delete them and they will go to bin. Your home and furnishing will remain intact.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LOL Judy... typical dysfunctional family moment huh?? ROFL! Thanks for sharing that!

Okay EVERYONE: I have a LESSON for YOU!!

In my previous post with the lovely shots of my bridge, I said I had to do a LITTLE work with it... HA!
    If you use the CFE to build a split-level staircase, or a sunken/raised room, or a bridge, or even an arched angle bridge.. PLAY TEST BEFORE YOU DECORATE!!! I went from:

Screenshot-100.jpg

Isn't it beautiful!! lol That was what I had... now I have this: and this is AFTER destroying EVERYTHING and leveling and leveling and leveling and cussing and hairpulling and did I say LEVELING!!?? And starting over:

Screenshot-104.jpg

A harsh lesson learned! Let me tell YOU! Yeesh.

• Options
    edited December 2009
    LOL... well Merry, at least you can see I did use terrain paint under all the flowers/bushes/etc! :D
  • Options
    craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited December 2009

Craig, there should be an option to evict them without their belongings? When you're in edit town mode, click on that house to bring up the info box for it, look on the evict family options. It will move them to clipboard, you can then delete them and they will go to bin. Your home and furnishing will remain intact.

Thanks judy i knew there had to be a solution. Im just so tired from the holidays and being busy at work. I havent even started my christmas shopping yet. I guess ill be shopping on xmas eve.
  • Options
    jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    What the heck is going on? I am having the wierdest things going on in my game. Yesterday it was can't place cars and bikes now I get this when I went to go work on my WIP.

Has anyone else every seen this before?

Lil

whatthe.jpg

whatthe2.jpg

I have had this happen once... turned out to be a mod I was using... most of my game problems turned out to either be CC not made for WA or mods not made for WA.

I finally wiped my entire hard drive and rebuilt my computer. Then I took my back up folder of mods/cc and separated them by type...i.e. clothing/ objects/terrain paint/misc....etc then I replaced each folder separately and started the game..if it worked and nothing weird showed up I exited and placed the next folder. Eventually one folder the Misc one messed up the game again so I installed each item separately until i had the culprit...

Now when I install using anything other then the launcher I create a "New cc" folder where I put everything. That way if a new thing messes up my game I know where it is and can start testing each cc till it works.

As to the Firefox issues... I have the latest firefox and so far it is working fine for me. No issues with the ea site.

Jaded
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz: Thanks! The only real problems I had was having to put a ton of columns under the house while building, and getting the top of the L-shaped stairs to place the way I wanted. The columns I took out right after building and had no problem placing any furniture or anything like that. With L-shaped stairs, I'm terrible at placing them nicely inside houses, but outside was real easy since I didn't have any boundaries. :b I'd love to see what you come up with, though! Let me know when you're going to start building it. (:

Magician1: Thank you so much for the download and rec! (: When I checked on it this morning, I saw it has almost 800 downloads! :'D That's a personal record. :b

wolfspryte: Aww.. I'm sorry you had to do all that! ): It was very beautiful, though. I'm still a little intimidated by making bridges. :b

I'm going to be gone most of the day today. I have a final exam and some other schoolwork today, and then I'll be building something. (:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Spryte, I went through the same difficulties when I built my gazebo!! Had to rip it right down to nothing and start over a few times from scratch!! :mrgreen:

Craig, hahahaha I will be shopping on Christmas Eve as well!! I'm used to it though- I am a pro Christmas Eve shopper :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    createx... lol thanks! Don't be intimidated by building them.. they are somewhat easy once you get the hang of it... just don't don't don't forget to play test them before you decorate around them!! :D

Jaded... see my above post about those boxes... I didn't have any .package CC in place, and it was AFTER I wiped the game and expansion and re-installed. Now, I only use sims3packs, and a couple of .package files of skins and eye replacements. I LOVE MTS, but I won't use .package files anymore. Anyway, I got those dang boxes without any CC installed, and messed up my CFE split-level stairs but good when I removed them {couldn't delete them, hid them behind the wood pile! Seriously! ;)}
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi everybody!

craig - I like the pattern you used for the bedspread. I saw in the bathroom that the pattern for the towels hanging from the sink is different than the rugs. Maybe you want to change the color of the black tile in the tub to match one of your palette colors. I think your house is looking great. I keep having the same problem with it telling me to upgrade to IE7 but only in the launcher. I use Firefox...guess I'll have to change it just for simmy's.

Lil - I kinda giggled at first when I saw those white boxes because I though omg what is that. I've seen it once before when I used a bug spawner. I paused the game to build something and there it was. I realized it was where the bugs had spawned.

createxillusions - I think that is the cutest little house and I just love those little roaming gnomes.

spryte - I like your build...looks great!

Apparently I missed something going on in here. Hmmmm....lots of 0's. That's what I get for building instead of reading...shame on me.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Judy... it sucks! :D Oh well... a lesson learned!

I'm done with most of my shopping.. just have a couple gift certificates to get for the kids stockings.. then all done! WOOT! Will wrap this weekend, bake like a mad fiend next Tuesday and Wednesday {making cookies by the dozens, and several pies/cakes/assorted goodies... my family calls me Martha Crocker or Betty Stewart! LOL I love "creating"!} Oh, and homemade bread - and no, I do not use a bread machine... nothing better than bread made by hand with love! ;) Usually make several flavors of hard candy too, and fudge. Don't have time for last minute Christmas shopping!! ho ho ho!
  • Options
    jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    I'm back.... I spent the last several days off being very sick .... while I was gone y'all posted over 30 pages of stuff.... since I am caught up now and it looks like all questions and such were commented on... I am going to be lazy and start from this page... :wink: ...but now that I am feeling better I am back to hog the thread again...woohoo......

Jaded

• Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Glad you are back, Jaded! Missed you!

I got my firefox working today! WOOOO! And because the site is soooo slow today, I am on both IE and firefox, and while I wait for one post to finish, I get on the other browser and surf around a little! Much faster lol!

I'm sorry you had all the trouble with your bridge, Spryte, I was really looking forward to playing it! Oh, well.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Spryte- I am waiting for my three days off this weekend for the baking! :lol: I offered to buy my daughter a bread machine for Christmas...she was shocked and insulted- said, OMG Nooooooooo! that would destroy the whole process!! Meanwhile, I have never been much of a Debbie Domestic... I love the decorating and even some baking but as I get older, busier, and more interested in other creative outlets, I am a fan of.... Ohhhhhh look, it comes frozen now! Or, can you get that pre-made and make it look home-made? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    Well, so much for doing any schoolwork! The site went down in the middle of my final exam. Bummer... I really wanted to finish the class by 2:00. ):

Wolfspryte: No problem! Maybe later on today I'll practice making one... P:

Simtweek: Thanks! (: I think they make nice housemates. :b
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    spryte - I think i just gained 10 pounds reading your cookie/bread/etc. post. lol

jaded - was wondering what the heck happened to you. glad you are better. now....hog away! :)
  • Options
    Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited December 2009
    To MerryWidow, Magician and fellow forum builders.
    My original homework house has been bulldozed. This is a new house using the same blueprint and the same palette. The only change in the floor plan is the layout of the bathrooms. The first four photos are of the exterior.
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    Screenshot-3.jpg
    Screenshot-4.jpg

This pic is to show the actual complementary colors used in the exterior.
    Screenshot-5.jpg

One help this time around is when I was told that I could use a neutral color. I actually used two throughout the house. They are the hex numbers of the wooden cabinets and the wood flooring. Examples of this can be seen in the small entry. The two doors use the hex number of the wood in the cabinetry and the near white in the wall coverings is that of the near white flooring. Back to my foyer. The door adjacent to the security alarm leads to the guest powder room.
    IMG]http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz68/Buddy_Clyde/Homework 1 and 2 New Approach/Screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG

I came to recognize two fundamental errors in my approach to decorating my original house. First, I used the same method I used as an artist working with a fixed palette. But in art you can dilute your palette colors even though this changes the hex numbers. Second, when I used a pattern in my decorating, I converted each color in the pattern to one of my palette hex numbers.
    For this house, when I used a pattern, I converted the hex number of the pattern itself to one of my palette hex numbers. In this way I achieved the same result as in painting on a canvas. The powder room is a good example of this. Only 3 hex numbers were used in this room.
    Screenshot-7.jpg

Just a closer shot of the potty in the small corner.
    Screenshot-8.jpg

This is the view of the living room presenting from the foyer.
    Screenshot-9.jpg

This is the view from the fireplace.
    Screenshot-10.jpg

And here is the kibitzing bar as seen from the living room side.
    Screenshot-11.jpg

This is the dining area of the kitchen. There are four patterns in this photo all using the same hex code and both neutrals are used.
    Screenshot-12.jpg

This is a view of the food prep area of the kitchen.
    Screenshot-13.jpg

And this is the kitchen view of the kibitzing bar. This photo was taken before the cute little mouse was moved to the counter area and the food processor was moved to the bar. Sorry.
    Screenshot-14.jpg

This is the view presenting when entering the bedroom. Between the dresser and the doors to the veranda is the door to the master bath.
    Screenshot-15.jpg

Voila!
    Screenshot-16.jpg

This is a view of the bathing tub. I see that I forgot to use my magic wand on the towels. Note the glimpse of cabinetry and counter area on the left.
    Screenshot-17.jpg

The view from the counter area shows the special relationship between the tub and the shower.
    Screenshot-18.jpg

This photo not only shows the tub, shower and counter areas but we can see both the door to the master bedroom on our right and the door to the potty area facing us.
    Screenshot-19.jpg

This is the master bath potty area.
    Screenshot-20.jpg

Entering the bedroom from the bath shows us the bed for the first time. On the extreme right edge of the photo is the door frame through which we originally entered.
    Screenshot-21.jpg

This photo shows the bed and adjacent night tables and reading chairs. This photo shows four patterns all with the same hex code as the scarlet red in our palette.
    Screenshot-22.jpg

My final picture shows an aerial view of the floor plan and decorating themes.
    Screenshot-23.jpg

Thank you. I await your decision on my moving on to the landscaping assignment.
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited December 2009
    MerryWiddow: Thanks so much for the rec! (:

Here are some pictures. It was hard to get nice shots because the house is small, though.

The front... notice Mysterious Mr. Gnome. ;b :
    155md0m.png

View of the kitchen from the small study/entrance to the balcony:
    2ugmdy1.png

Most of the living room... the TV and walkway are the only things not in the picture:
    2h2k129.png

The bedroom... it's only as big as the living room, so all that can fit in the room is a bed and dresser:
    zilgyq.png

The bathroom:
    29xxmdh.png

The balcony:
    15gb8k8.png

View of the private pond:
    15wfa55.png

The garden:
    slpstt.png

Last but not least, the plan of the house:
    2qdu0q9.png

It's small, but it's a cabin, so that's fine with me. :b It was built on the lot by the waterfall. I didn't put in many flowers, because I imagined it to be mostly just trees. I wasn't sure if I should put anything underneath the house... I figured if someone wanted to improve to their personal tastes, then they can, or they could use it for adding parking spaces or something since there isn't a driveway or garage. Let me know what you think! (:

I looks very nice createxillusions. Thank you for showing me the pictures. If you check the 5th post on this thread you might find some help for taking pictures. I though you used a very nice palette. You colours blended well and the furniture placement looked good. Did you play test the lot? I don't think your dresser would work and I'm not sure about the bath tub. You can make the grass on the lot look more realistic by using some of the grass terrain paints sprayed around the lot. You have a lovely pond and garden and I like the winding path at the front. Great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    timmy_wuvstimmy_wuvs Posts: 7
    edited December 2009
    Sorry, I know I'm a "n00b" but please bare with me.
    I've attempted a floor plan and I intend on going through the rest of the lessons over the next few weeks. Here is my progress so far. Any comments or criticism are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Screenshot-2.jpg

Screenshot-7.jpg

Screenshot-6.jpg

Screenshot-5.jpg

Screenshot-4.jpg

Screenshot-3.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top