Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited June 2019
    I 1000% agree with you. I second everything you said and more. You aren’t saying random plum. You’re stating facts, and I respect that ✊
    Post edited by Mindsimscreate on
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    @Zussage
    Even as a diehard Sims fan since the original, I missed the last few TS3 expansions (I met my now-husband and this game just felt less important for a while :) )
    I never had Island Paradise, so I’m unable to compare. My yardstick is World Adventures, if anything. Wow did that pack in a lot of gameplay.

I don’t even care about the rabbit holes or being able to go under water. I love how the neighborhoods work in TS4; I don’t even care that the world isn’t fully open because I just choose to live in the neighborhoods that have fun things to do in the common areas and I think that works great.

What I would have liked to see is more activities. Volleyball would have been an obvious beach activity. Frisbee would be cool. Different levels of tanning, not just tanned, burnt and not tan. Peeling after burning. Waterslides! Just the 6 ft tall ones would suffice, but a full-on waterpark type of slide would be awesome, too. I think smoothies would be fun to make, combining different fruits like we used to do with nectar making, and get different effects. I had a smoothie every day while on honeymoon in Aruba, it fits. Obviously a hotel experience is not what I was expecting going into it, but to not include any way to officially vacation on the islands? I think it really missed the mark.

I appreciate all the respect you’ve given me and I hope I am being just as respectful. I still love this game but now I am curious about TS3 Island Paradise because it sounds a lot better than this. I’m not worried about my specs.

But what I really wish is that they would not underdeliver on a game series that used to be so much better overall.

I'm betting their saving frisbee for Universities.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’m hoping for hacky sack back!
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    @Zussage
    Even as a diehard Sims fan since the original, I missed the last few TS3 expansions (I met my now-husband and this game just felt less important for a while :) )
    I never had Island Paradise, so I’m unable to compare. My yardstick is World Adventures, if anything. Wow did that pack in a lot of gameplay.

I don’t even care about the rabbit holes or being able to go under water. I love how the neighborhoods work in TS4; I don’t even care that the world isn’t fully open because I just choose to live in the neighborhoods that have fun things to do in the common areas and I think that works great.

What I would have liked to see is more activities. Volleyball would have been an obvious beach activity. Frisbee would be cool. Different levels of tanning, not just tanned, burnt and not tan. Peeling after burning. Waterslides! Just the 6 ft tall ones would suffice, but a full-on waterpark type of slide would be awesome, too. I think smoothies would be fun to make, combining different fruits like we used to do with nectar making, and get different effects. I had a smoothie every day while on honeymoon in Aruba, it fits. Obviously a hotel experience is not what I was expecting going into it, but to not include any way to officially vacation on the islands? I think it really missed the mark.

I appreciate all the respect you’ve given me and I hope I am being just as respectful. I still love this game but now I am curious about TS3 Island Paradise because it sounds a lot better than this. I’m not worried about my specs.

But what I really wish is that they would not underdeliver on a game series that used to be so much better overall.

Nah man, frisbee would require a new animation, don't count on it.

Well they added a new kiss in water animation in Island Living. TS3 Uni added frisbee and hacky sack.
  • Options
    CurlytressesCurlytresses Posts: 1 New Member
    In CA we paid $50 for this ep! I will never buy anything full price anymore. Such a waste of cash and I was bored after the first evening.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Zussage

Nah man, frisbee would require a new animation, don't count on it.

Well they added a new kiss in water animation in Island Living. TS3 Uni added frisbee and hacky sack.
    What I should say is that they only add a couple of new animations, so a frisbee would probably end up on the non-priority list and get cut, unless they could reuse an old animation.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I completely agree that TS4 packs are seriously lacking when compared to TS2 and TS3. Maxis should be up in arms over being forced to push out sub-par content by their evil overlords at EA but it's totally out of their control.

I'm not saying TS4 is bad, I really enjoy playing it, but whenever new packs come out there is a whole laundry list of things that are missing from previous packs or missed opportunities in general. I can only assume this is based on a reduced budget and timelines from previous games.

I would bet money that TS5 will have "surprise mechanics" to get new furniture, clothing and accessories. Thanks for ruining everything you touch, EA.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I cannot comment directly on Island Living (I am waiting for a sale to get it because I did love IP and know I will be disappointed in IL.)

@Zussage

I remember when I got a new expansion for sims 2 or Sims 3 I would stay up all night playing it. It would take weeks to explore all it offered. Going back to Sims 1, many times I would stay up all night playing Sims.

Now, I will start Sims 4 and will end up going off to do housework or other things. I will come back and play for 20-30 minutes, then leave the game to go do something else. I NEVER did that with the previous Sims games. During Sims 3, every night I would get my household/family things done so I could play continuously for 4-5 hours.

No, the previous versions were not perfect. They had plenty of faults. (SECUROM anyone?) Fortunately, I have always been able to have a good computer so I have not had as many problems as some had. It has always been a problem with getting bug fixes though.

I would still be playing Sims 3 if there was new content for it. I need a constant stream of new stuff LOL. I literally spent between $3000 and $4000 dollars on Sims 3 with the Sims 3 Store (and I felt it was money well spent for the enjoyment I received with the content and gifting content.) I pre-ordered everything in both Sims 2 and 3 for the Limited Editions. I have only spent a couple hundred dollars on Sims 4 as I have waited to get almost every release until it has gone on sale. Because I don't think they are worth full price. It's not so much the amount of money it costs. It is that I end up being disappointed with every release, so I am less disappointed if I buy it on sale.

Sims 4 is the first version that I will not be sorry to hear it is ending. I wanted to cry when both Sims 2 and Sims 3 ended. Sims 4? I am ready for it to end. That is so sad to me.
  • Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    I completely agree that TS4 packs are seriously lacking when compared to TS2 and TS3. Maxis should be up in arms over being forced to push out sub-par content by their evil overlords at EA but it's totally out of their control.

I'm not saying TS4 is bad, I really enjoy playing it, but whenever new packs come out there is a whole laundry list of things that are missing from previous packs or missed opportunities in general. I can only assume this is based on a reduced budget and timelines from previous games.

I would bet money that TS5 will have "surprise mechanics" to get new furniture, clothing and accessories. Thanks for ruining everything you touch, EA.

Unfortunately, I don't have much hope for TS5 considering what EA has done to the series. They seem to have drastically cut the production budget and I don't see that changing.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I'm liking the island pretty well. With the addition of the things there is to do for them. But alas......

it's like the rest of the game and one of my biggest complaints of this iteration is that the sims never seem to be able to do anything "together". They can't go for a moonlight walk on the sands holding hands. They can't ride the boat together. They still can't dance together. There's no real affection between them either.

I'm sure that's why there's no beach volleyball or anything like that simply because the game doesn't allow for multiple sims playing "together". And that's why bowling, and basketball both feel like an individual activity as well. Everything they do "together" even with the GET TOGETHER club system is all individual things.

"Wanna have a catch, Dad?" Nope. Not in sims 4. And that's the saddest part of the game to me. So I don't ever foresee anything like frisbee, or even catch, or volleyball, or anything that involves more than one sim at a time.

But I am still holding out some form of hope that this will somehow change, but it's waning with each new piece of DLC.

all the animations are too cost effective and take time - their excuse. i really want all of this in the game, it's disappointing when friends and family can't spend meaningful times together.
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    To all the people who are dissapointed: good for you for voicing that disappointment. Things won't change if you don't speak up.

But please, take it a step further. You need to stop buying the games, your dollar is what EA cares about most. Don't buy on release, make sure you know everything before going in. Get really picky and selective. So many people who I've read that have been constantly disappointed have more expansions than me and I love the game!

So continue to speak up, but also think about your dollar.

That's why I still refuse to buy Laundry Day Stuff Pack. Absolutely unnecessary and not worth it. All reviews I've seen have said that it's terrible.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    DyingLight wrote: »
    The sims 4 IL is quality content. The devs worked so hard in order to give us this EP and we should be grateful, because the sims is a very old game and EA is the only company interested in keeping it alive. I love the sims 4 and I hope I can get IL soon because the sims is one of my favorite games.

The problem with people nowadays: they see all the content on videos, so when they get their hands on the game it's easy for them to say "I've seen it all."

That's why I haven't seen any videos of IL yet (just EA's trailer), so when I finally get the game, it's going to be full of surprises for me. <3
    Well, you don’t have it yet so you wouldn’t know.

I shared the same optimism before. The “spoiler” videos I watched didn’t have much besides showing the bb items and showing a mermaid swim around. I’ve been playing it all weekend, taking it slow exploring what was new. I’m really bummed that there isn’t much beyond objects and scenery.

I wish I didn’t agree with the OP, and up until recently I might not have necessarily felt the same way. I understand certain decisions were made to make this game more playable. It seems the pendulum has swung too far back to simplicity. And now we have a ton of new bugs and I’m feeling disenchanted.

This is why I'm not sure TS4 deserves another two or three years. It reminds me of my last year of school, where no one is working as hard, and all the classes teachers aren't really pressing students and or assigning major things to get done before the end of school, but sitting around and yaking, feet up on desks, telling glory day stories, kids or teens goofing off, all just waiting for it to be over. Half effort put into the last essay, and since it is the last, most get a high grade, just because it's the last, though may not be deserving etc. Lots of fairwell parties going on during class hours, and lots of cleaning out lockers, desks and really distracted with other stuff while the last days of school wind down. Those in charge looking forward to summer and the school year finally over. That is what TS4 has been since about two years ago. It was never very impressive but since they would keep making it, sure they can, but it's like the last days of school with hardly any effort at all.

I’m quite sure that it doesn’t deserve another two or three years.
    TS4 should end as soon as possible in my opinion.

I’ve been playing this game since the launch.
    The thing I love is the art style of TS4.
    Cas items came with IL are such nice and pretty.
    But I have to say it is never the core of The Sims series.

5 years has passed and it still doesn’t meet my expectations in many ways.
    All the time it’s getting much more buggy.
    Just like multitasking is a good thought. Sims should be able to save their time by having the ability of multitasking but all the lag just make it the opposite.

The gameplay experience is quite horrible.
    I literally feel tired when I’m playing.
    A lot of things need to be tweaked.

In the island living I saw too much recycling.
    It’s quite disappointing.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    The reason the pack feels so limited, is because it's not finished. They released it way too early, just decided to not put anything more in it, and called it a day. Or should I say, an expansion.

How much of that is that the Sims team cutting corners on their own or EA forcing them to cut corners.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    wamayeli wrote: »

Unfortunately, I don't have much hope for TS5 considering what EA has done to the series. They seem to have drastically cut the production budget and I don't see that changing.

I think a lot of it is cause of the game engine.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Great opinions everyone. Hope some of the constructive criticism reaches the Gurus so the next expansion pack is even better!
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I strongly disagree. Shallow is what you make it. Not like Sims was super deep or had great game play either; but people told stories that gave the game depth. The point of the game is to create sims and stories how you want it or otherwise it would be an RPG.
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    Eh, I love it. I'm sympathetic though to anyone who doesn't. I'm just not sure what it's being compared to. TS3 Island Paradise was my favourite, and that thing was basically unplayable. You had to mod the heck out of it, delete a bunch of stuff like house boats and hotels, several families... and then maybe you could play without crashing. I did love diving but that also was eventually explored through. I've explored every dive spot to death, the mermaids had so few interactions. The hunger bar for the kids was messed up.

Eventually all of the content in every pack will be "explored through". To me, the beauty of the sims is how you can play the same career on the same world but with a different personality and sim, and you have a whole different game, or vice versa. It's about recombining. I just don't think it's possible to make a pack with content that "never ends". The replayability of it is based on something else.

TS3 definitely feels more "full" at this point, but it's also had a full run of expansions. TS4 is still going, and is just gonna keep adding more. It's also why I didn't buy it at launch, but only got into it a few months ago. That's always how I've done sims, I don't buy the latest until it has a lot of expansions under its belt. When sims 5 rolls around, I'll do the same thing. It's always gonna feel like a bare-bones game in the beginning when compared to years of expansions. I'm also one of the rare few that like the world system on TS4 better than the open world in TS3. It's just way more playable for me. I don't miss TS3 now and just uninstalled it on my computer. Even with less expansion packs, TS4 is at a place where it outshines TS3 for me. There are definitely things here and there that I'd like to see. I wish we had house boats for example, and controllable pets, but I also find the list of "pros" for me personally with TS4 vastly outweighs the cons and few things that I miss from TS3. And, again, even those things I miss I know would eventually be "old hat" anyway. Dive spots will be explored through, house boats will just sit on the water.

But everyone plays their own way! For those of you disappointed, I'm sorry. I hope that you can find other games to enjoy and not waste anymore money on things in TS4 that will disappoint you. Here's hoping that when The Sims 5 eventually comes out, it better suits all of our needs.

While i understand how the OP and others feel, as I used to feel as they do about the sims4 myself. I tend to agree with you. Awile back, I went back to playing TS3, and I forgot how buggy it was. IP worked at first, then as next ex-packs came out, it got buggier and buggier, until it was unplayable, World Adventures had the same problem...and those were my two favorite packs. And we (myself included) complain about the bugs in TS4, but in ts3 when a new ex-pack broke an old ex-pack, EA did very little to try to fix it. We only got updates just before new packs came out and they addressed maybe 10% of the problemsfrom the previous pack. If it didnt get fixed then, it wasnt going to get fixed.) TS4 is less buggy, and EA seems like they are working harder to adress problems with much more frequent updates. People also talk about the animations not being what they want. Doesn't anyone remember how the fairies flew in ts3....I forgot, and they were my favorite occult in ts3. Could EA do better? Of course they could. I no longer feel as bad about ts4 though, after going back and playing ts3 for awile again.
  • Options
    RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    randy2355 wrote: »
    Eh, I love it. I'm sympathetic though to anyone who doesn't. I'm just not sure what it's being compared to. TS3 Island Paradise was my favourite, and that thing was basically unplayable. You had to mod the heck out of it, delete a bunch of stuff like house boats and hotels, several families... and then maybe you could play without crashing. I did love diving but that also was eventually explored through. I've explored every dive spot to death, the mermaids had so few interactions. The hunger bar for the kids was messed up.

Eventually all of the content in every pack will be "explored through". To me, the beauty of the sims is how you can play the same career on the same world but with a different personality and sim, and you have a whole different game, or vice versa. It's about recombining. I just don't think it's possible to make a pack with content that "never ends". The replayability of it is based on something else.

TS3 definitely feels more "full" at this point, but it's also had a full run of expansions. TS4 is still going, and is just gonna keep adding more. It's also why I didn't buy it at launch, but only got into it a few months ago. That's always how I've done sims, I don't buy the latest until it has a lot of expansions under its belt. When sims 5 rolls around, I'll do the same thing. It's always gonna feel like a bare-bones game in the beginning when compared to years of expansions. I'm also one of the rare few that like the world system on TS4 better than the open world in TS3. It's just way more playable for me. I don't miss TS3 now and just uninstalled it on my computer. Even with less expansion packs, TS4 is at a place where it outshines TS3 for me. There are definitely things here and there that I'd like to see. I wish we had house boats for example, and controllable pets, but I also find the list of "pros" for me personally with TS4 vastly outweighs the cons and few things that I miss from TS3. And, again, even those things I miss I know would eventually be "old hat" anyway. Dive spots will be explored through, house boats will just sit on the water.

But everyone plays their own way! For those of you disappointed, I'm sorry. I hope that you can find other games to enjoy and not waste anymore money on things in TS4 that will disappoint you. Here's hoping that when The Sims 5 eventually comes out, it better suits all of our needs.

While i understand how the OP and others feel, as I used to feel as they do about the sims4 myself. I tend to agree with you. Awile back, I went back to playing TS3, and I forgot how buggy it was. IP worked at first, then as next ex-packs came out, it got buggier and buggier, until it was unplayable, World Adventures had the same problem...and those were my two favorite packs. And we (myself included) complain about the bugs in TS4, but in ts3 when a new ex-pack broke an old ex-pack, EA did very little to try to fix it. We only got updates just before new packs came out and they addressed maybe 10% of the problemsfrom the previous pack. If it didnt get fixed then, it wasnt going to get fixed.) TS4 is less buggy, and EA seems like they are working harder to adress problems with much more frequent updates. People also talk about the animations not being what they want. Doesn't anyone remember how the fairies flew in ts3....I forgot, and they were my favorite occult in ts3. Could EA do better? Of course they could. I no longer feel as bad about ts4 though, after going back and playing ts3 for awile again.

I tend to agree with this. I love the Sims 3, had all the expansions and stuffs as well as every piece of store content. It was a very long wait to load & even then was buggy. I turned to modders to get bug fixes & master controller to catch errors. Even still that game was far from perfect. And yes indeed quite buggy.

Like you I did the same. I'd go periods of months playing the Sims 3, the stories I could create were endless! So many & I'd spend so much time doing it. Then I'd hit a bug after a couple of months and decide to load up the Sims 4 (I also have all the content for, except IL), and it was a much better experience bug wise, and graphically beautiful. I'd play for a few weeks but my stories always ended too soon & I was limited in what I could do much more. I'd quickly finish the story line & go back to sims 3 again. And repeat.

There was just so much more in the Sims 3. And if they could somehow take the Sims 3 and give it bug fixes, graphics of the Sims 4, I'd literally pay for it. Tbh. At this point even if they literally copied everything from the Sims 3 and brought it to the Sims 4, I'd still buy it!
    Sims 3 series is my favorite.