Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I played way too much of Sims 3 this past weekend after playing 4 the week before that and honestly, I never realized how often I fought my sims in 4 to get them to do something. I'm pretty sure its the multitasking system they have, but in 3 when I told my sim to do something they did it immediately. When I canceled an action it actually canceled!

I think I might skip island living, but I do want to play with mermaids but I've heard complaints that even mermaids are lackluster. I think maybe had they booted mermaids to their own game pack as they did with Vamps and maybe spent time working on making lifeguard an active career as well as underwater lots for diving. But then again if they did separate mermaids from Island living we'd have another My First Pet Stuff fiasco, where its a DLC for a DLC, especially since this would be the only world with swimmable oceans. But we might have gotten a mermaid home lot like a 'hidden' dive lot and some really cool mermaid powers, which I've also heard complaints about.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I personally like it a lot more than any vacation pack we've had so far. Being able to LIVE on the island is a great improvement, imo.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I feel the same. You said it all really. I was so excited and after a few days I realized how mediocre it really is. Not only that but it felt like I was in permanent vacation and I couldn't get into it so I moved back to the city.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    The sims 4 IL is quality content. The devs worked so hard in order to give us this EP and we should be grateful, because the sims is a very old game and EA is the only company interested in keeping it alive. I love the sims 4 and I hope I can get IL soon because the sims is one of my favorite games.

The problem with people nowadays: they see all the content on videos, so when they get their hands on the game it's easy for them to say "I've seen it all."

That's why I haven't seen any videos of IL yet (just EA's trailer), so when I finally get the game, it's going to be full of surprises for me. <3
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Honestly, after watching footage from so many simmers on YouTube, I must agree that it looks more like a gamepack. I was excited for a tropical island based pack, though I wanted a vacation pack over an island living pack. However, I was willing to see what they'd do with it and imo Island Living's execution is really weird. It's meant to be living on an island over vacationing, but most of the island life aspects are rabbitholes or re-used animations. But then there are a few vacation like elements like the aqua-zips, boats, and sand castle building which are actually pretty cute, but also far too limited. Just a theory, but I get the feeling that the devs knew people wanted an island vacation pack, but didn't want to do a complete copy of IP, so they smashed ideas of island vaycay and island living into one pack.

Just like with GF, I'll be waiting on a sale for this one (or try to get lucky with a giveaway). There's some cute stuff in here, but it looks more like a gamepack to me, so that's the only price I'll be paying on it.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    DyingLight wrote: »
    The sims 4 IL is quality content. The devs worked so hard in order to give us this EP and we should be grateful, because the sims is a very old game and EA is the only company interested in keeping it alive. I love the sims 4 and I hope I can get IL soon because the sims is one of my favorite games.

The problem with people nowadays: they see all the content on videos, so when they get their hands on the game it's easy for them to say "I've seen it all."

That's why I haven't seen any videos of IL yet (just EA's trailer), so when I finally get the game, it's going to be full of surprises for me. <3

No, the problem with people nowadays is that they have already played 3 iterations before and rightfully expect more. Where did the awsome houseboats go?

No, the problem with people nowadays is that they have already played 3 iterations before and still don't remember all the problems with those games, while at the same time somehow believe they are entitled to content equal to a brand new game for the price of an expansion.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member

No, the problem with people nowadays is that they have already played 3 iterations before and rightfully expect more. Where did the awsome houseboats go?

The sims 4 is not the sims 3. If you want houseboats you can play the Sims 3 IP. I love The sims 3, but ts4 is a different game. And not everyone has played the 3 games. Many people are new to the sims. I'm tired of the negative attitude many old simmers have towards the new game.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019
    I also agree about the recycling of animations. While this has always been a huge thing in the sims 4, I think this could be the worst pack yet for it. Ditto objects. Looking at you bonfire and bonfire dance that came with Get together. There are so many recycled animations from previous packs, only thing different is a different name on the list you choose from. Giving an animation another name doesn’t make it new.

Even the dolphin animations recycle. Pet dolphin is the same as as rub dolphins belly.

I understand that water is a difficult thing to do in game- (My Husband is a game dev) and I’m sure I read the former CM saying water was a challenge but it honestly looks like we paid $40 to swim in the ocean.

That's is incorrect. They are two different animations.

I thought you couldn't fire dance in IL without GT? :o I have GT installed so I can't test this....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Overall I can't argue with people saying that this pack doesn't have a lot of content, it's true that it doesn't. My biggest pet peeve in this pack is the fact that they didn't add underwater lots, with an underwater world to explore and actually see sims collecting treasures, collectables and fish while scuba diving instead of a rabbit hole.

It's true they re-used a lot of animations. But a lot of them work well in this pack, I have to say. I think re-using animations is fine when they fit, plus when they already give us a good amount of new good animations. I wish they'd make a new greeting animation instead of recycling from GT, and make a new dance for this pack, like hula dancing, instead of again, recycling from GT. It comes off as cheap when they don't give us anything new in that regard and only recycle.

It's also strange how this EP didn't include any new whims. Especially when it comes with a new aspiration goal and new traits. It further makes the pack feel somehow not as detailed and in depth as it should be.

The activist career also doesn't hold my interest for long. First, it's again, reusing animations from GTW with no new animations exclusive to it, nor rewards or objects. Seeing the neighbourhood change, as sims clean the island and promote eco friendly activities is a very good concept but at the end of the day I don't think it makes any impact throughout gameplay, other than getting rarer fish, or seeing extra ocean life, or getting a mermaid spawner?

There are a lot of new very well made swimming animations, which is great. And I think those took a lot of time to do, and get right, so I'll give them that. The dolphin is also very well animated. Plus the world is beyond amazing but I think that....the pack is still missing something. But at least I do believe that it has more content than City Living, and that is a step forward.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

This I can totally get behind also. It's true. But personally I did the same and eventually I have found myself bored of the new careers and without many new activities to do with my sims. The only thing that still holds my breath with this pack is the amazing world and the fact that sims can freely swim in the ocean water, meeting dolphins and all.

I wish the seashell collection was bigger honestly. I love getting seashells but I'm constantly getting the same ones over and over. I wish they had added the ability to get bottled messages by searching the sand, or broken shells. A lot of details could have been further added to certain interactions to make them even more interesting.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    RexZheng wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    I agree.
    Compare this pack to Jungle Adventures and it comes off like a game pack, but not as deep.

Disagree. I had much more fun with Jungle Adventure than Island Living, at least my Sims don’t disappear into a rabbit hole everywhere. And it came with two new skills while Island Living has none. Plus they did the culture there better. :/

You got my point backwards.
    I am saying Jungle Adventures is better.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

Well, you don’t have it yet so you wouldn’t know.

I shared the same optimism before. The “spoiler” videos I watched didn’t have much besides showing the bb items and showing a mermaid swim around. I’ve been playing it all weekend, taking it slow exploring what was new. I’m really bummed that there isn’t much beyond objects and scenery.

I wish I didn’t agree with the OP, and up until recently I might not have necessarily felt the same way. I understand certain decisions were made to make this game more playable. It seems the pendulum has swung too far back to simplicity. And now we have a ton of new bugs and I’m feeling disenchanted.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

This I can totally get behind also. It's true. But personally I did the same and eventually I have found myself bored of the new careers and without many new activities to do with my sims. The only thing that still holds my breath with this pack is the amazing world and the fact that sims can freely swim in the ocean water, meeting dolphins and all.

I wish the seashell collection was bigger honestly. I love getting seashells but I'm constantly getting the same ones over and over. I wish they had added the ability to get bottled messages by searching the sand, or broken shells. A lot of details could have been further added to certain interactions to make them even more interesting.

I was kind of hoping the could collect driftwood and make things using the carpentry table. :(

Like lamps, shelves, tables, room dividers, etc.

I wish sims were be able to make rafts in the wood crafting table and ride them and fish on them :\ It would also be cool if they had added hammocks for sims to sleep and woohoo in.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Even though Sims 4 has improved in some areas it is not enough and I agree with you OP on most of your points. :):):)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen