Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living Disappointment So Far

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    I know - I love everything - I cannot figure out those complaining.

That’s great for you, however others are not. Nothing really to figure out, it’s just a difference of opinion.

Based on what I’ve seen and read, I think I’ll wait for this pack to be half off or more. While the buy/build items look nice, mermaids and ocean swimming isn’t really worth $40 for me personally. My biggest gripe is the fact that diving and the lifeguard career are rabbitholes.

Yep - some people did not like that - it seemed to work though and in Sims 3 having diving and setting up did not always go well. So this could be a better work around in the long run. Who knows the changes they can add as it goes along too. I am sorry you are not happy - and for me waiting is not a good idea - time is my enemy. For me it is day by day.

I have to say I don’t agree that completely axing diving lots for a rabbithole is a better work around. Just because it wasn’t flawless the last time doesn’t mean they can’t try to make it better this time. Technology has advanced quite a bit since 2012 and to me it just feels like a cop out.

As far as hoping they add more in the future, at this stage in the Sims 4’s development, I find it highly unlikely that they’ll add diving lots back in later on given the limited resources they tell us they have. I won’t say impossible, but I’m not gonna hold my breath or bet my money on it. At the end of the day, I’m really just disappointed.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    I know - I love everything - I cannot figure out those complaining.

That’s great for you, however others are not. Nothing really to figure out, it’s just a difference of opinion.

Based on what I’ve seen and read, I think I’ll wait for this pack to be half off or more. While the buy/build items look nice, mermaids and ocean swimming isn’t really worth $40 for me personally. My biggest gripe is the fact that diving and the lifeguard career are rabbitholes.

Yep - some people did not like that - it seemed to work though and in Sims 3 having diving and setting up did not always go well. So this could be a better work around in the long run. Who knows the changes they can add as it goes along too. I am sorry you are not happy - and for me waiting is not a good idea - time is my enemy. For me it is day by day.

I have to say I don’t agree that completely axing diving lots for a rabbithole is a better work around. Just because it wasn’t flawless the last time doesn’t mean they can’t try to make it better this time. Technology has advanced quite a bit since 2012 and to me it just feels like a cop out.

As far as hoping they add more in the future, at this stage in the Sims 4’s development, I find it highly unlikely that they’ll add diving lots back in later on given the limited resources they tell us they have. I won’t say impossible, but I’m not gonna hold my breath or bet my money on it. At the end of the day, I’m really just disappointed.

Well you have to consider it could not have been like 3 at all - totally different game engine and system. We have the newest tech - but not compatible with the older open world tech - so could not be done the same even i we wanted it to be. Smart technology is a whole other animal and the stuff coming is even crazier. You may like going backwards instead of forward to what's coming next. Believe me.

I would still like to see it though - lol.. I am certain I won't care for what's coming but still would like to see it one day. Real world ingame is not my thing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Mermaids don't kill Sims but they can keep them in the sea, far from home and the Sims might die if they can't get home to fulfill their needs in time.

I'm still waiting for someone to find what is the shark's bigger "friend" that @SimGuruGeoff talked about, anybody know yet?

Is it a kraken? Is there any secret game changers haven't told? ETA: or maybe a whale?

There is no kraken, confirmed by the devs. They said you may notice a dark shadow in the water but there’s no creature. I sent one sim into the cave (rabbit hole) trying to find the danger within allegedly, I had another sim out in the ocean and I wondered if anything would happen.

Well nothing did. My sim drowned because she ran out of energy. But thats definitely all it was, the camera was on her the whole time.

Maybe Nessie or a whale.

They said no creatures? Occasionally you see shark fins and your sim gets a moodlet about being pulled under but you don’t see the shark out the water or anything.
  • Options
    hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    StrangerVille was a "Gamepack" and this has much more "stuff and gameplay" and I don't think anyone with no exceptions has had time to explore the world fully in depth. Their complaints are after a very shallow look through. Get to Work was the same and it is only now that Simmers are awakening me to what can be done with the Science career for example. Detractors put me off playing it fully.

IKR!! I actually love GTW. I really really like the careers, they are so fun to play in, especially the science career.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    hermionia wrote: »
    StrangerVille was a "Gamepack" and this has much more "stuff and gameplay" and I don't think anyone with no exceptions has had time to explore the world fully in depth. Their complaints are after a very shallow look through. Get to Work was the same and it is only now that Simmers are awakening me to what can be done with the Science career for example. Detractors put me off playing it fully.

IKR!! I actually love GTW. I really really like the careers, they are so fun to play in, especially the science career.

Agree I love that pack. Hands on 24 -7 is my kind of play.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    hermionia wrote: »

The only career I liked in GTW was the Science career, the Medical field was too repetitious and the Police career the jury still out on that one.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Even though sharks can hunt with other species of sharks, I do not know if it could be an Great White as they are huge.

That would be truly "Awesome" if it was true but too frightening for 13year olds? It would frighten me!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Even though sharks can hunt with other species of sharks, I do not know if it could be an Great White as they are huge.

That would be truly "Awesome" if it was true but too frightening for 13year olds? It would frighten me!

When I heard Shark had an friend I was thinking about that animated movie with Will Smith but I thought can't be. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

When I heard Shark had an friend I was thinking about that animated movie with Will Smith but I thought can't be. :)

It's never as good as my imagination. I'm thinking of a sea serpent wrapping themselves around the Sims and dragging them down to the depths or a huge octopus clutching them with it's suction grip. Probably over Teen though unfortunately. >:)
  • Options

It's never as good as my imagination. I'm thinking of a sea serpent wrapping themselves around the Sims and dragging them down to the depths or a huge octopus clutching them with it's suction grip. Probably over Teen though unfortunately. >:)

You never know :)
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    The only encounter my SIM had with a kracken was doing one of the options on secret cave, it scared her, but she was fine
  • Options
    AliraAlira Posts: 169 Member
    I wanted to mention that my sims lacking social in this world, I think because I really like them to sunbathe. I know sometimes the sims team can add minor things to the game to improve it. It would be awesome if my sims could speak to each other while they are relaxing on the floaties. Also, it was sad to find out that we can't see how our sims dive underwater. I was really glad to see boats and jet skies! I cried, when I saw it, because I'm the one of those people who are really still hoping to see cars in the game. Now I'm hoping that one day the sims team will give us boats that can at least carry 2 or 3 sims, it would be very cool.
    tumblr_lmunod9VCw1qhfp08o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I have seen a picture of the shark swimming in the sea. No idea if it grabs your sims randomly and pulls them into the deep dark sea rabbit hole and Grimm pops up with a urn.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Maybe the bigger friend is a megalodon?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    If it's only a question of clothes...i don't care. Gameplay is more important for me.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I know what you are saying, but I kind of disagree with not being able to have time to explore the world fully in depth. I’ve been playing since Thursday 11pm:

I’ve built all the sandcastles I want to,
    Swam in every ocean, performed all the scuba “activities” and snorkelling.
    Explored that darn cave that was said to be dangerous its really not
    Played with the new lot traits
    Completed the aspiration and used the new traits.
    Did odd jobs
    Did the new part time careers.
    Played with dolphins
    Made the volcano erupt.
    Saw three “festivals”
    Saw baby turtles hatch
    Upgraded a jet ski
    Used a Float
    Got sun burned and sun tanned.
    Woohooed in the waterfall
    Played in the waterfall

I have saw a friend use a mermaid and try to lure a sim to their death repeatedly, but it didn’t work.

I’ve lightly touched upon the conservation career.

There isn’t that much new game play I don’t think. Toddlers get no new play equipment. There’s no new skill that I can see.
    A lot of the game play is rabbit holes.
    I honestly feel I’ve saw everything I wanted too.

Those of us who have other things to do in our daily lives are still exploring the pack and enjoying the game play. I've yet to see any of the festivals occur but I finally got the Island Welcome Wagon (with a kava bowl as a gift) so hopefully those will start happening. In the meantime my conservationist is working on her garden and writing books to supplement her income. I'm looking forward to getting deeper into conservationist game play and seeing more of the world change due to my Sim's actions.

I like the CAS because it will give more options for hot weather wear for my other worlds and saves. I haven't explored it in detail yet but what I've seen I like, although now I really want body hair options for my Sim dudes.

I can see how this EP will add things to my entire gameplay. My gardeners have more harvest options, and my cooks have new recipes. The water activities will add a lot of fun to my games in all worlds. My only nit to pick is that odd jobs aren't available for teens, but hopefully some enterprising mod developer will add that feature for my runaway teens who need to make some extra money.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    xxJaixxxxJaixx Posts: 46 Member
    Im sure they have things to do in their daily life as well. Its not packed to brim and quite easy to finish the gameplay. Did i mention i do things on the daily? How o d d