Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much silence

Comments

• Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited April 2019
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    From the start of TS4, communication has been absolutely abysmal. TS1 all through the end of TS3 we had a solid level of communication with the developers, and they weren't just on Twitter (in one Guru's case, ranting how forums are trash).

I think it's a mix of bad marketing and poor shakeups in development with this franchise. We used to get a pack every 6 months, and in many instances, we would buy a pack already knowing what the next pack would be. This new model of getting an expansion whenever has proved itself to be non-beneficial to the quality of the expansion itself.

Yeah If I remember correctly, after or even before Island Paradise released they already told people that the last expansion will be a future pack. I don't know why they can't do that in Sims 4.

They could have told us, the community, after they started working on Get Famous that the next expansion will be celebrities and the community could have discussed what they want or don't want in the pack. Most of the time there are some core features everybody wants.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I actually find the communication decent is overall but you do kind of have to be on Twitter so understand the irritation. They have announced not all months this year will receive a patch. Stinks but it’s not like we weren’t told. They do communicate which bugs are on their radar between answers hq and Twitter. Again not ideal but a good chuck of simmers don’t use forums either so this wouldn’t be an ideal place either for communication. I’d say more use Twitter if I were to honestly guess. They could use more platforms than they do though, that I agree with.

I personally like the mystery of waiting to see what is coming next but I understand why that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. They for sure need to do all future announcements along the same lines as Strangerville. Whether you liked it or not that was some good marketing and it was really what made me personally want the pack. I enjoyed seeing how much love went into it and how excited the devs were. I am personally hoping for a patch this month with some nice updates but I don’t think a pack is coming this month. Next if stuff packs are gone (which the seem to be) will be a June release of a new EP. That would be my guess at least but maybe some cool update will hold us over. Or maybe stuff packs aren’t gone but we haven’t had one in over a year. We have to wait and see. Difference is the sims 3 had a store constantly releasing content so I understand missing that constant influx of things to do. It is a slower release of content or at least news, maybe not content exactly. We still get three new things at least a year and usually it’s more. But they don’t tell us anymore till last minute. Now I actually really like that because I hate waiting but again I see how not everyone would like it. I don’t get bored but I personally take every pack I get real slow which helps me. Still haven’t finished Strangerville and it’s story. Also got majority of content starting last July and was caught up by January. So I’m still exploring a lot anyway.

They also do still do live-streams with all packs to show off new features (responding to someone who misses producer walkthroughs when we have more in depth live-streams now). Always posted to YouTube as well by sims community so if you miss you can still watch. I like these better as they are more in depth and involve a lot of devs. And there are usually 2 or 3 for an expansion. They are really great if you aren’t checking them out.

I want it known I fully respect everyone’s opinion on here and I understand where you all are coming from. This is my personal one and I hope you respect it as well. Thank you.

Happy simming!!
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I miss the producers walkthrough from The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. It was a great way to show the game content. On the other way I understand why they don't do that with TS4 because theres not too much content in a pack to do videos like that again.

Actually there is walkthrough in TS4 Packs, they don't do it in YT but on Twitch. They liverstream every single pack from Dine Out, so if you haven't heard of it until know, I siggest you follow their Twitch channel. All of the streams from packs, patches, and maxis monthly are being done on twitch nowadays, rather than on YT like in the past days.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited April 2019
    Teasing Expansion Packs or Gamepacks would be an step forward in News communication for me.

ETA
    Expect no news about paid content until may. April, If I am right, is the end of the publisher(EA) fiscal year, and I don't think they are going to release content at the end, and we never got any packs at April. If the next pack due to June, expect to have no news until the end of May.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I miss the producers walkthrough from The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. It was a great way to show the game content. On the other way I understand why they don't do that with TS4 because theres not too much content in a pack to do videos like that again.

Actually there is walkthrough in TS4 Packs, they don't do it in YT but on Twitch. They liverstream every single pack from Dine Out, so if you haven't heard of it until know, I siggest you follow their Twitch channel. All of the streams from packs, patches, and maxis monthly are being done on twitch nowadays, rather than on YT like in the past days.

Livestreams existed in the sims 3 aswell. The walkthrough videos Im talking about were short resumes of everything. Not 3 or 4 lives that show us objects and cas and gameplay of 1 or 2 features each live.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2019
    This is the type of situation we get when EA/Maxis silences or gets rid of their PR teams. Everybody gets to infighting when we all really want the same thing. More information and communication. There is a sad reason, I believe, for the current situation but hopefully when the boss gets back we'll get more as she promised. Just cool it please?

The best time we had on here when SimGuruGraham got us to choose a pack, even though the eventual one disappointed many! It stimulated discussion and was constructive and enjoyable. Surprised Grant when it sold well and that's a good thing!
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    What's wrong with just playing the game? And if you don't like the game in its present form then why not go and find another game to play and come back to this one if something is released that you like?

When you bought the game did you think it came with some sort of guaranteed news and interactive service from the studio?

This isn't aimed at any one person, more an observation from this and other similar threads.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    What's wrong with just playing the game? And if you don't like the game in its present form then why not go and find another game to play and come back to this one if something is released that you like?

When you bought the game did you think it came with some sort of guaranteed news and interactive service from the studio?

This isn't aimed at any one person, more an observation from this and other similar threads.

just wanna say there is something called marketing and in general now-a-days you kinda have to have something about the development of the game to be successful. -that's probably worded weird, sorry
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Well this game was sold to everyone as a live service, not a game, so maybe yes that should raise the expectations of everybody.

EA doesn’t dump millions of $ every year into global marketing to tell players to go play some other game; and if they do, then the large scale lay offs make absolute sense, because that is not how it is supposed to work at all.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited April 2019
    Alright please cool it off in here with the bickering and the snarky gifs. There's absolutely no need for it, I've had to remove a considerable amount of posts in here that didn't add anything to the conversation other than bickering. Let's try and keep it civil going forward please.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited April 2019
    And if you don't like the game in its present form then why not go and find another game to play and come back to this one if something is released that you like?

Because that would be a fallacy. If we were to just play a different game (and there are definitely many people that are, myself included) and not criticize and talk about why some of us have problems with TS4, then this would shut down critical thinking and not address what the OP stated.

What I'm curious about is why so many folks I speak to don't seem to understand just how valuable criticism is as I see this kind of comment at least once a week.

Anyway, while I don't really pay attention to any of this, I'm not dissatisfied with how they handle how much content they put out. It's just instead of EPs being released every 6 months, they're released once a year to make room for GPs, a kind of pack we never had in previous Sim titles, as far as I'm aware. Since GPs have been doing very well in many people's eyes, myself included as I bought all of them except Dine Out, I don't see a problem with EPs taking a year to develop. That's fine. As I understand it, to make room for GPs, they had to make an entirely new team for that, taking some of them away from EPs. Unless I'm wrong, as I said, I don't pay much attention to this.

However, why they're so silent on future content is something I don't understand, if it's true that the Devs used to talk a lot about what they were planning to make in the past. I remember when they annouced that the last pack for TS3 would be a future-themed pack. What made them willing to annouce that that they can't do with TS4 is something I want answered. The most we get is people asking for a pack to be made, (usually Witches in my experience) and Grant answering: "We know".

I think part of the silence is Kate's disappearance, though, being the community manager. Haven't seen a message from her in a month now.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited April 2019
    As soon as they have something new to announce I think we will hear from them, but not until then and I think that they do not have much to show right now. They are probably working on the legacy edition and their planned content for 2019 and 2020.

What has happened with Battlefield 5 and Anthem which both belong to EA could be a reason for the silence as well. It is possible that they are restructuring and moving people. I do not think this will affect Maxis a lot though but if they are making a new game, this is probably a good time to move people around. It is the end of the fiscal year for EA, so it is possible that they simply do not know how much money they will get to make content for the sims4.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    Cupid wrote: »
    I haven't really been paying attention, but the last pack only came out like a month ago didn't it? And we're already antsy for the next announcement huh? I gotta get with the times
    I think the OP is adressing communication, not packs. I’m under the impression their problem lies deeper than a simple ‘they release stuff’, considering “I have no desire to purchase anymore packs for a game that is so dang silent and has fewer and fewer content additions.“ To me it sounds as if they’re not satisfied with what’s added. From where I’m standing (on the sideline, Sims 4 doesn’t interest me as a player anymore) it looks as if they were highly communicative to promote Strangerville, but marketing seemed to outshine its quality (I’ve seen a lot of backlash and even though many love it, one could wonder if it still represents the character of the franchise: sandbox, based on player’s creativity, tools rather than scripts). A month ago there was indeed a lot of communication and a pack that was controversial to say the least in terms of what direction is this franchise going. Now there’s silence.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019

I’ll never understand why people consider that advice a solution. It actually defines and confirms the problem. This is the feedback section of a Sims forum, if someone feels that way, they have a problem with the quality of the game and this is the place to share it. When you open the feedback section you can expect not everybody to be positive. This place is to discuss a game, not to tell others what to do with their lives. The fact a simmer is not happy with the current game or direction it’s going doesn’t mean they don’t do anything else. Like indeed playing other games. It also doesn’t mean they lost interest in the franchise all together (clearly speaking for myself now). Feedback is for everyone. Playing other games is my refuge, not a solution.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I’ll never understand why people consider that advice a solution. It actually defines and confirms the problem. This is the feedback section of a Sims forum, if someone feels that way, they have a problem with the quality of the game and this is the place to share it. When you open the feedback section you can expect not everybody to be positive. This place is to discuss a game, not to tell others what to do with their lives. The fact a simmer is not happy with the current game or direction it’s going doesn’t mean they don’t do anything else. Like indeed playing other games. It also doesn’t mean they lost interest in the franchise all together (clearly speaking for myself now). Feedback is for everyone. Playing other games is my refuge, not a solution.

This is a Sims 4 Feedback forum and some come here to only complain about EA generally and may completely confuse new members as those complainers haven't even played or only got the base game or very few packs. I wish we had some indication of what such complainers had so that we could put them on Ignore. I, myself don't want to discuss Sims 1, 2 or 3. I had it all, played it all and moved on thanks. It's getting like looking for a needle in a haystack to find apt Feedback and Gurus might miss it in that haystack.

Maybe the EA moderators could add a separate Feedback Category to discuss all packs.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I also thought for sure there was going to be patch this month. Even if it was just to adjust or correct some stuff that Simmers have been complaining (or requesting) about with the game packs such as City Living's street gallery bug or the laptop in Strangerville that isn't actually mobile according to those who bought the game. OR at least add some new items or options. Nowadays, I rarely play Sims4.

It's still early in April -- has there been a definite announcement there will be no patch for the month? They could be waiting till later in the month to add in as many bug fixes as possible; I"m still figuring we'll see a lot of fixes the next two months before they release the Legacy Edition for the 32-bit system players.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »

This is a Sims 4 Feedback forum and some come here to only complain about EA generally and may completely confuse new members as those complainers haven't even played or only got the base game or very few packs. I wish we had some indication of what such complainers had so that we could put them on Ignore. I, myself don't want to discuss Sims 1, 2 or 3. I had it all, played it all and moved on thanks. It's getting like looking for a needle in a haystack to find apt Feedback and Gurus might miss it in that haystack.

Maybe the EA moderators could add a separate Feedback Category to discuss all packs.

Easy solution is to not discuss that stuff then. If those games are being discussed you aren’t obligated to join in or respond. In a perfect world no one would bring up any previous Sims game since Sims 4 is the current game, but in a realistic world they’re going to be brought up and compared. Not fair to say “I’ve played them, I don’t want to talk about them, so no one should talk about them”. Selfish is, perhaps, a more appropriate word.
  • Options

Easy solution is to not discuss that stuff then. If those games are being discussed you aren’t obligated to join in or respond. In a perfect world no one would bring up any previous Sims game since Sims 4 is the current game, but in a realistic world they’re going to be brought up and compared. Not fair to say “I’ve played them, I don’t want to talk about them, so no one should talk about them”. Selfish is, perhaps, a more appropriate word.

What you actually get is that the thread becomes Sims 3 only players. That's selfish.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

What you actually get is that the thread becomes Sims 3 only players. That's selfish.

I’m not usually one to play petty games of who’s politically correct or not, but what you’re getting at is that you feel Sims forums should be segregated based on game status. It would be so much easier to just not get into discussions that you have already said you don’t want to be part of. There’s plenty of discussions happening here that I don’t get involved in because I’m not interested in participating. It’s simpler than introducing a discriminatory forum layout.
  • Options
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Teasing Expansion Packs or Gamepacks would be an step forward in News communication for me.

ETA
    Expect no news about paid content until may. April, If I am right, is the end of the publisher(EA) fiscal year, and I don't think they are going to release content at the end, and we never got any packs at April. If the next pack due to June, expect to have no news until the end of May.

Actually, end of the fiscal year was March 31; we're now a week into the new fiscal year. Some companies schedule their annual reviews for that month, as well as setting the schedule for the new year; if there are packs under development from the last year (especially EPs) there will be status reports submitted. And with the Legacy Edition planned for release in June for the 32-bit players, there will be a lot of bug fixes at the very least, maybe some new content from the Engagement Team (the group that handles the free stuff).
  • Options
    Akl500P wrote: »
    I actually find the communication decent is overall but you do kind of have to be on Twitter so understand the irritation. They have announced not all months this year will receive a patch. Stinks but it’s not like we weren’t told. They do communicate which bugs are on their radar between answers hq and Twitter. Again not ideal but a good chuck of simmers don’t use forums either so this wouldn’t be an ideal place either for communication. I’d say more use Twitter if I were to honestly guess. They could use more platforms than they do though, that I agree with.

I personally like the mystery of waiting to see what is coming next but I understand why that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. They for sure need to do all future announcements along the same lines as Strangerville. Whether you liked it or not that was some good marketing and it was really what made me personally want the pack. I enjoyed seeing how much love went into it and how excited the devs were. I am personally hoping for a patch this month with some nice updates but I don’t think a pack is coming this month. Next if stuff packs are gone (which the seem to be) will be a June release of a new EP. That would be my guess at least but maybe some cool update will hold us over. Or maybe stuff packs aren’t gone but we haven’t had one in over a year. We have to wait and see. Difference is the sims 3 had a store constantly releasing content so I understand missing that constant influx of things to do. It is a slower release of content or at least news, maybe not content exactly. We still get three new things at least a year and usually it’s more. But they don’t tell us anymore till last minute. Now I actually really like that because I hate waiting but again I see how not everyone would like it. I don’t get bored but I personally take every pack I get real slow which helps me. Still haven’t finished Strangerville and it’s story. Also got majority of content starting last July and was caught up by January. So I’m still exploring a lot anyway.

They also do still do live-streams with all packs to show off new features (responding to someone who misses producer walkthroughs when we have more in depth live-streams now). Always posted to YouTube as well by sims community so if you miss you can still watch. I like these better as they are more in depth and involve a lot of devs. And there are usually 2 or 3 for an expansion. They are really great if you aren’t checking them out.

I want it known I fully respect everyone’s opinion on here and I understand where you all are coming from. This is my personal one and I hope you respect it as well. Thank you.

Happy simming!!

If you're not on Twitter, you can still bookmark this site and see what the Gurus are talking about: https://twitter.com/TheSims/lists/official-simgurus Usually not much game related but I highly recommend @SimGuruGrant's threads when he gets in a stream of conciousness mode (just don't ignore the pinned Tweet where the Gurus can't discuss upcoming content). For general Sims news (including teasers and trailers) keep an eye on The Sims page: https://twitter.com/TheSims
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    At the very least they could be fixing bugs every month. There are so many bugs and glitches (some game breaking) that have been going on for a while, yet we've already had 2 patchless months out of 4 this year. It makes the lack of news even more annoying because it's difficult to play the game while we wait.

Also, agreed with the Twitter stuff. I can't stand it and don't use it ever, so it bugs me that a majority of the communication goes on over there instead of on official websites/forums. I think the thing that really annoyed me the most was when the gurus started giving away free packs on Twitter, meanwhile those of us on here or even on Facebook get totally left out of that stuff. :/ It's just blatant bias and favoritism to one platform over another. And they're free to have their preferences, but at the very least they could try to reach out to as many fans as possible. Or they could spread them around. Have some gurus use the Twitter, some use Facebook, and others post here. They don't all need to be on Twitter.

Yes, it's like stores who offer something but only if the person has a smart phone and can scan an offer. That to me, is soooo short sighted. And it also allinates those who don't want or can't afford a smart phone. Or maybe some parents don't allow their kids to have a Twitter account with good reason, so yes, it's a sort of discrimination against those who don't. Sad.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I think the OP is adressing communication, not packs. A month ago there was indeed a lot of communication and a pack that was controversial to say the least in terms of what direction is this franchise going. Now there’s silence.

My point was only slightly related to the release of the pack. What I was trying to say is that if a pack was released just a month ago I'm not sure why any form of communication would be anticipated so soon afterwards, whether that communication is about more packs or not. The only thing I would expect to hear about by this point is whether or not there will be a patch; and the month only just started so it's a bit early even for that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited April 2019
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial