Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you care in a Uni EP if Dorms are not Buildable?

It worries me after thinking of City Living. Apartments in that EP is the first time in TS4 where we there could be sims living in one lot for the first time. However it is bound but its two limitations, we cannot build from scratch and two, visiting another household requires a loading screen, in which imo king of remove the feeling of living one lot, since there is loading screens. If these two problems was applied to dorms, what would you think in the Uni EP?Will it affect the way you look at the whole pack or not?

I feel like I am a bit worried here, but I do hope this can be used as feedback to the devs.

Would you care in a Uni EP if Dorms are not Buildable? 233 votes

Yes. I just want to have my sim experience Uni Life
28%
auroraael14CK213geminiagrejulienrob2004alexspoom13IceyJaprilrosePlayerSinger2010IrdiwenAlexizeElegantblkchina1Isa_Menezesdrake_mccartymoltazialuthienrisingNivyxCinebarBluellemarcel21simmietime 66 votes
No. it is a bit dissapointing
18%
catmom1987rudy8292DerellaIsb917Mizz_TriceyxdawnxLizzychicagoR0bertadetermigaecollins21RamblineRosebluelightingspice3CeCeDotGrandRailMikado-chanPinkJellyBeansannaliese39TechbiltSigzy05 44 votes
As long as the other content in the Pack is worth it/Fleshed out
44%
BluegayleicmnfrshKita5399alan650111lisamwittdanacnbrettWritin_RegSimburianMeteoraStormZombnomAnmirlaDJQ1308MysanliliaethrobyngravesLadyDecafrosehrtgirlfruitsbasket101MINEZstilljustme2 103 votes
Others
8%
MLadyAzzeraBrokenChaos69friendlysimmersJestTruBagoas77Dreamie209BlueSeaWavesDevilNDisguiseAngelEb95MovottiChadSims2MasonGamerEnkiSchmidtWittlemouseeOEII1001munroeleEnjoyfulSimmerBecka28IVXXXVIAngeliqueAdelaide 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    The answers to this poll kind of don't match the question but no, I don't think I would care.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Others
    Yes I would care I'm tired of shortcuts. Being able to create and design your worlds including dorms should be what Sims is about.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    yep, i dont care for building the actual builds. as long as we can change the objects im okay with it. i just want the university experience.

-Yarden.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    With the City Living apartments, you at least have the option to ignore them; if you're not fond of their limitations, but still want to live in San Myshuno, there's penthouses and lots on the ground for you to build on. But if I have to move my sim into a dorm in order to attend university, rather than being able to go to class from home, then the ability to build and customise our own dorms is a must. I found university studies to be quite the chore in TS2, and being forced to live in an ugly premade dorm with all kinds of issues isn't going to make me more willing to put up with them.

Also, one of the main reasons I want a university expansion in the first place (because as I said, I'm not terribly excited for the studying itself) is that buildable dorms might just come with a code that finally enables us to build our own apartments in other worlds. I would totally buy the pack just for that if everything else about it wasn't to my liking.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited April 2019
    Others
    I'd rather build the university itself than the dorm so to speak. Giving us more of an advantage in creating custom schools, in general, would make for a better pack imo. But that's just me I suppose.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    simmietimesimmietime Posts: 103 Member
    Unfortunately, the sims team cuts so many corners with TS4, I think that dorms will end up like the disappointing apartments in city living.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    If I'm allowed to move the walls about and re-arrange inside that would be okay, also if our students can live off campus in lots around the University that we can build.

The more I think about the problems, the more difficult it must be to implement universities in Sims 4.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    No. it is a bit dissapointing
    I'm not really a builder, so I don't think it would bother me too much as long as we can still redecorate. However, I do think it would be a shame for builders as the apartments were in CL. I'm not that bothered about University at all though really, so I'm in the minority here. I think the most important thing is the content.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dorms have never been constructed like apartment buildings. In S3 they were totally different. In S3, apartments had one apartment to a building which you could edit inside the apartment boundary but no more. There also was only one apartment per building. However, you could place apartment buildings anywhere they would fit, but still, it was just one more apartment added. In S3, dorms were usually two stories, had a common room, kitchen/dining room and individual rooms that your sim could "claim" as their own.

In S4, apartment buildings contain up to four separate apartments, all on one floor, like a mini neighborhood. You can not build apartments as the "shell" is part of the landscape. You can edit the apartment within the apartment's boundary.

In S4, you can build dorms now. Two floors with the common room and kitchen/dining room on the first floor along with a few rooms. On the second floor, you could have more single rooms along with a bathroom for males and a bathroom for females. Add in a study area and a place for a foosball table and TV and you have a dorm. Instead of claiming a room, your sim claims a bed. This would allow for rooms for one sim or two sims to share or more than two sims sleeping in one room. Or maybe a combination of singles, doubles and bunk rooms for multiple sims, based on what your sim can afford.

All that I think would be needed is programming for random sims claiming and sleeping in their beds during the course of a semester, as they did with rooms in S3.

Greek houses would be nothing more than your sim living with other random sims who are members of the same fraternity/sorority in the same house and claiming a bed as they do at home. In S4, you should be able to make your Greek house a "club" and hold meetings anywhere (a dark dingy basement for the guys and the formal living room for the ladies) where they discuss whatever you wish (mayhem or high fashion).

I don't see a problem with dorms or Greek houses in S4.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm not a builder, so I don't really care.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes I would care if the Uni pack didn't allow players to build their own dorms, and or if the college is like the hospital or police station and not editable. Or if the college building is like one of those lots seen in the world (unlike the hospital) but non editable. TS4 is like giving someone a piece of cake but last time I was served cake I also had ice cream or whip cream and cherries on top. But TS4 says here is the cake, no there isn't a choice of cake it's just sponge, and no we aren't offering ice cream on top, nor cherries etc. But we have some apricots over here in the bowl at the end. TS4 is like baby food smashed peas compared to meat.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    I was fine with all the past series dorms - where you could just redecorate inside and such - so what difference does it make if these dorm are the same. Sims 2 we did have Greek houses we could build and in 2 and 3 we could build small off campus houses - but dorms were always different and I am fine with that.

So why expect it to be different anyway? After all the pack is about sims going to Uni - right. How many people in real life do you all know that go to Uni and build a dorm to attend College anyway? To me it makes no sense to expect to get to build the dorms or any other campus housing seeing you don't own it - you are just getting a place to temporary live per semester. Decorating your dorm room is generally all you can do at University - and the Sims lets you decorate most of the interior as it is - much more than people can do in real life. So why all the fuss about it?

I would be annoyed if we "had" to build our own dorms every semester - personally.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,452 Member
    Others
    Should’ve voted for the “as long as the other...” seeing as how in GTW, the lab, hospital and police station are not buildable either...somewhat like apartments, I don’t think we’d be able to. Maybe like apartments we’d be able to add a wall here and there but from the ground up maybe not. It’d be cool if we could, no doubt there would be some very talented builders who could make some very nice lots. But if not, I’m hoping besides other things, we’d be able to have proper “roommates”. I was hoping in CL if we moved in with someone they’d be their own NPC, not have me control them too.
  • Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    I really wouldn't care about building dorms, but I at least want the ability to edit the interior of the dorms. Also I don't want this to be a city living thing where you have only access to your room and one other sims room, but you have to go through a loading screen to do so. I don't think they would, but you never know...
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    Here is a dorm I built with stuff we have already. It has two floors, eight rooms, bathrooms on both floors, two lounge areas and a kitchen/dining room.

40591043163_be2a87b1be_h.jpg
    47557148511_bfa0a5b987_h.jpg
    40591043533_478073cfbe_h.jpg
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    Others
    I hope we have two types of lots, both dorms and sorority/fraternity houses. I'm fine if I can't change the outside of the dorms, as long as I can edit walls and objects inside, just like apartments. I'd imagine sorority/fraternity houses would work like normal lots, like they've always had.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    You can build them in Sims 2 and 3 so naturally we won’t be able to in 4, but I believe all venue types should be buildable on the players end.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    You can build them in Sims 2 and 3 so naturally we won’t be able to in 4, but I believe all venue types should be buildable on the players end.

You must have used cheats then as I still play those games and all I could do is change up most of the insides of the dorms. The rest of the University housing was build-able but not the main dorms - well without cheats anyway. I don't use cheats of any kind in the game - as eventually cheats start messing with saves or glitching so I just don't use any.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    You know what? In The Sims options are important.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    With the City Living apartments, you at least have the option to ignore them; if you're not fond of their limitations, but still want to live in San Myshuno, there's penthouses and lots on the ground for you to build on. But if I have to move my sim into a dorm in order to attend university, rather than being able to go to class from home, then the ability to build and customise our own dorms is a must. I found university studies to be quite the chore in TS2, and being forced to live in an ugly premade dorm with all kinds of issues isn't going to make me more willing to put up with them.

Also, one of the main reasons I want a university expansion in the first place (because as I said, I'm not terribly excited for the studying itself) is that buildable dorms might just come with a code that finally enables us to build our own apartments in other worlds. I would totally buy the pack just for that if everything else about it wasn't to my liking.

The way Sims 4 is constructed you might not even have to move a Sim to whatever world University is located. For me that would be ideal -- I'd be able to focus on my entire family not just one or two members. Since I'm not much of a builder I'm fine if I can't build a dorm from scratch, but if I can modify and decorate as I choose (maybe have the dorm have an unfinished basement so it can be customized with game equipment, maybe a gym if the dorm has a lot of active Sims or a laundry room if the player owns Laundry Day) would be fine for my needs. .

I'd like to see a hotel or B&B game pack that could be adapted to build small apartment buildings. In the Sims 4 tutorial mode your single Sim has an NPC roommate -- that's another feature that could be expanded upon in a Uni pack.

One of the issues they had to deal with in City Living is where to put the loading screen. When you leave the apartment to go to the area outside the apartment (in each district) you don't encounter a loading screen, but you do entering your own "house" i,e, apartment. It's similar to the regular neighborhoods where you can explore all the surrounding public area, but if you return home or visit a neighbor's house you then encounter a loading screen.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited April 2019
    Others
    If it’s mandatory to live in dorms while attending university, I’d at least hope we’d be able to edit them. Personally, I don’t care much about the building aspect, but I do think that would still be important, especially for variety.

Giving us as players less options to work with, isn’t the route I think they should go. And when/if a university pack comes along, I hope this is something they avoid.
  • Options
    It's possible that they could give a Uni Pack with no actual world or campus in it. Like lower grades, college classes could be rabbit holes that we send our sims to and they return home to study and write reports. Other college students and professors could be met at the library or coffee shop or the park to hold rallies or play hacky sack. Dorms and even a campus could be a thing of the past.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Others
    It wouldn't bother me if dorms weren't totally buildable as long as I could design the room my sim would be assigned to how I want. But I do think that in a Uni Ep we should be able to build the sorority and fraternity homes.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You must have used cheats then as I still play those games and all I could do is change up most of the insides of the dorms. The rest of the University housing was build-able but not the main dorms - well without cheats anyway. I don't use cheats of any kind in the game - as eventually cheats start messing with saves or glitching so I just don't use any.

Oh you bet I used cheats, I always use cheats, and guess what I have not once had any sort of issue due to using cheats. If these cheats were so problematic as you make them out to be, then EA would have nerfed them from the games. So I’m going to flat out end the topic of glitching and messing with saves as it really has nothing to do with building any type of lot. A smart speaker glitched Sims 4 saves and that required no cheats whatsoever. Anywho -

It is your prerogative to not use cheats, but at the very least they should EXIST. Give players those options to build what they want to build. Those who don’t want to use cheats don’t have to, and those who would LOVE to use cheats to build apartments/dorms could do just that. Win/win, but like I said already this is Sims 4 they will actively choose to not allow us to build dorms. Has nothing to do with cheats, everything to do with bad management.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You can most definitely build dorms from the ground up in the Sims 3. There are multiple speed builds of university dorms on YouTube and I’ve done it several times myself. I can’t remember if there’s a lot marker that affects changing walls or windows, but going into buydebug and removing it (if it’s there) fixes the problem.

I believe the easiest way to make almost everyone happy is to create a roommate system similar to the one introduced in the Sims 3 University. The dorms can function like a regular residential lot (therefore fully customizable) and the roommate system will spawn NPCs to room with your active sims. The most important part is for the devs to allow the roommate system to be used on ANY residential lot, not just the ones tagged as dorms in the university world (if there is one). This will hopefully help out those players who feel a lack of flexibility with aspects of the game (ala City Living apartments) and make for more customizable gameplay.

I’m kinda confused about which answer to pick based on other responses, as I do care if dorms are not buildable, so I just won’t vote for now.
    Post edited by Barbie430 on