Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What play speed do you use most often?

I've been regularly reading the forums now for a few weeks (since I properly got back into TS4), and I'm very curious about what speed you use when play? Since around TS2 I've used a mix of pause (to build up a queue) and then ultra-speed until everything is done, but I'm starting to realise that this is probably the reason that I never really get attached to sims and households and maybe I would enjoy the game more if i took the time to actually watch..

What play speed do you use most often? 223 votes

Normal speed
57%
Bluegaylebshag4lvjulienrob2004Bluefairy286verlainemGalacticGalLaBlue0314kippy300dreamergrl84lisamwittMLadyAzzerajonilla1Mi9shaoscarSleepycatDSLWritin_RegIsb917Simburiansimm621Bloosmooasimbsim 129 votes
Fast speed
5%
HowGreatThouArtMeteoraStormBagoas77drake_mccartyduhboy2u2ThenyoukissmeDeKayMarch306ArchieonicBashsync2015LairaSimSweety 12 votes
Ultra speed
12%
icmnfrshKementarikerryemmiebethVioletfeySimGuruGrahamPlumbobCrossingFinvolablueyblueskydrakharisianxziZenAlchemistCogshellParmaViolet87BigCatlover26AquaGamer1212belpitacoolsim9999999AfterMidnightVivi_WillowTreeSimmerTwinss 27 votes
Pause + other speed
24%
tams2578Kita5399EuphorialQueenColorist40VibseMaryVannStrangerthaninvisiblgirlmcorralMagdaleenaveronica55MindofyN0NoTToN0Nirishluck1986JennyggSimplyJenChelleJoJACKIEJOYphantasmkissCaityTrina 55 votes

Comments

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I turn on ultra speed when my sims are doing boring tasks (showering, cooking, that kind of stuff) and walking, and use normal speed when my sims are socializing, going on dates, partying, dining out etc.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Pause + other speed
    I usually play on fast, pausing whenever I have to direct my Sims (autonomy off). I only use ultra for long-term tasks, like painting or reading.

I agree, however, that I miss some of the little stuff playing on fast speed, but I get too impatient, and Sims are so slow sometimes.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Normal speed
    i only use normal speed and pause alot
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Normal speed
    The normal speed, I'd imagine. I do fast forward through the boring stuff but it'd be extreme to say I spend most of my time fast forwarding.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Ultra speed
    Speed speed! Flash Superman SPEED!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Pause + other speed
    I do 1 speed/ normal 99% of the time.
    I use 2 or 3 with a single sim or if just one sim is home.
    I do 3 speed at nights but started doing 1 sometimes.
    I also pause most of the time to que up interactions or in the mornings and nights to get sims ready for the day/night.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Normal speed
    I mostly play on normal speed. I think I would find it quite boring otherwise? I'm very attached to my sims and I love watching them go about their lives. Wow, that doesn't sound creepy at all does it? :D I pause a lot too for screenshots or queuing up actions and sometimes speed things up if there's not much happening, such as when my sims are sleeping or at work for example.
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Pause + other speed
    Normal pause normal pause "What are you doing?!!!" rinse repeat.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Normal speed
    you can't really actually play if it's anything but normal mostly.
    Sometimes when my sims is walking to something far away, I'll speed it up a little so I don't have to wait too long or I fast forward when all the family is alseep. But when I'm actually playing I play at normal. I pause too a lot, mostly to take pics, but normal speed is the default.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Pause + other speed
    I mostly play on normal speed. I think I would find it quite boring otherwise? I'm very attached to my sims and I love watching them go about their lives. Wow, that doesn't sound creepy at all does it? :D I pause a lot too for screenshots or queuing up actions and sometimes speed things up if there's not much happening, such as when my sims are sleeping or at work for example.

Well I do get bored of households quite quickly, sometimes before anyone has even aged up, but hearing on here about how many people have ageing off or spending a lot of time with one family I wonder if I've been playing too fast this whole time.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Normal speed
    Normal speed for me. I enjoy watching their reactions and all of the things they do. Once in a blue moon I'll turn it to faster.. second speed... like if I'm having them write a book and that's all that's going on for hours. The only time I do the fastest is when they are asleep or at work.
    I also use pause often even when playing on normal speed.
    The bigger the household the more the pauses.
    You miss the finer points of their reactions and gameplay if you play on fast.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Normal speed

Well I do get bored of households quite quickly, sometimes before anyone has even aged up, but hearing on here about how many people have ageing off or spending a lot of time with one family I wonder if I've been playing too fast this whole time.

Well, there's no wrong way to play as we're all different, but yeah, you might want to give it a go and see what you think. :) I feel if you speed through your sims lives, then there's no challenge or surprises or opportunity to grow attached or tell their story. I also play with ageing off and have been playing one household since I started playing TS4. I do have other households in other saves, but always come back to my main one.
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Normal speed
    Normal speed and pause and occasionally I will speed up, when it's a task that takes way too long and other sims are not doing things that need supervising.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2019
    Normal speed
    This is the only Sims game that I enjoy most at normal speed. You get time to check up on other members of the household and get them ready for lunch, such things as clearing and setting the table whilst your main Sim is preparing the Grand Meal, It also allows for quick updates on other household members' needs in the lower right hand panel at the same time.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Pause + other speed
    Do some people play the game without pausing or something? I don't see why that should be a separate option. I went with it since I pause, but I thought most people did anyway.

Anyway, I play on normal speed.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Normal speed
    Do some people play the game without pausing or something? I don't see why that should be a separate option. I went with it since I pause, but I thought most people did anyway.

I went with the one that I use longest! I actually don't need to pause much at all. Not as much as I needed to in Sims 3. :)
  • Options
    SaldukeleSaldukele Posts: 29 Member
    Pause + other speed
    It really depends on how many sims I have and what are they doing. If I only have 1 sim I would fast forward through boring activities, as I don't enjoy watching them take a bath for an (sim)hour :D when I have more sims in the household then I only fast forward if they all sleeping at the same time, although that rarely happens in my households :D I'd say I play mostly on normal speed with a lot of pausing.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    Normal speed
    Normal speed is the speed I like. I go to pause if I have to leave the room or pc for any reason.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    eeeyuneeeyun Posts: 45 Member
    Ultra speed
    I'm so impatient watching my sims eat, drink and do basic tasks lol. It gets a bit chaotic if they finish their task and start doing things on their own though, cause it skips through so fast!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Normal speed
    Mostly normal unless as others have said they're doing something that takes a really long time, especially if I only have the one sim and can't focus on someone else in the house. I use pause to queue up actions, especially in the GTW careers where a lot of the tasks require you to find something specific or find a multitude of things.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Normal speed
    Erm doesn’t anyone else experience lag and other issues when using utlra speed?

I mostly play in normal speed, I used to use the double speed a lot more but I find I have to keep an eye on my sims to make sure they complete all the tasks I give them, as a) sometimes they skip things in a queue, and b) when they stand there trying to load their next animation or interaction/whatever it is, it takes them the same time irl to load wether at ultra speed or normal. So you kinda “lose time” when playing in ultra too much. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone lol but essentially, there are too many bugs/issues with the game for me to trust letting it play out in anything other than normal or double speed (obviously unless they are sleeping). Here’s hoping they fix all the bugs one day.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    Normal speed
    ddd994 wrote: »

I mostly play in normal speed, I used to use the double speed a lot more but I find I have to keep an eye on my sims to make sure they complete all the tasks I give them, as a) sometimes they skip things in a queue, and b) when they stand there trying to load their next animation or interaction/whatever it is, it takes them the same time irl to load wether at ultra speed or normal. So you kinda “lose time” when playing in ultra too much. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone lol but essentially, there are too many bugs/issues with the game for me to trust letting it play out in anything other than normal or double speed (obviously unless they are sleeping). Here’s hoping they fix all the bugs one day.

I don't - I just don't care to play my game in anything but normal mode except when the game itself switches to that mode. I never get any lag though in the game. I run an 8 core desktop gaming rig that we built for me and it plays the game smooth as silk. - Thank goodness.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Normal speed
    Normal speed for sure. The quality of simulation suffers greatly on higher speeds. Way more instances of Sims standing around doing nothing, pausing within an interaction, clipping through each other, walking through objects/walls, teleporting...all these are symptoms of simulation being overloaded.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Normal speed
    ddd994 wrote: »

I'll answer this too. I can experience problems but it seems dependent on how long I let it run like that or if it's in an area that is too taxing for my game to keep up that speed. Like I have issues even when the sims are sleeping (or use to) in the city. I think too much was happening for the game to process it at that speed. Usually on the lots I chose to have my sims live on they sleep through the night on ultra speed just fine. Larger lots with a lot of objects or multiple sims in the area also seem to feed into whether I'll have problems. My computer is as old as this current sims game is though and probably needs to be upgraded.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Pause + other speed

I had that as an option because that's pretty much all I do, pause and then ultra speed and repeat. My game is paused more often than it is on any other speed, I would say, but I thought maybe some people would only pause in emergencies or if they really need to take back control.

I'm just a control freak..