Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis, I Love You, But...

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    Someone on here said that times change, and people should accept that The Sims isn't the way it used to be years ago aka a sandboxy life simulator...I'm sorry but you can't really apply this logic here when we're talking about this one game on the market that Does. Not. Have. A . Competition.

Why do you think people dedicate their time to ramble on about what they dislike about 4? Because there is nothing for us to move on to. When I didn't like Sim City anymore I got Cities Skylines and loved it. Now, what am I going to do if I'm fed up with the new team ruining something that's so special to millions of people? Go study programming and create my own game? Come on.

Just go look at the ratings of Jungle Adventures. Look at people's reviews (outside of this forum as well). Look at how poorly Get to Work has aged. It's more than clear that scripted gameplay doesn't work for The Sims no matter how much the developers try to force it. You're gonna go through the story of Strangerville once and forget about it. Zero replayability just like JA.

We know this game pack is not going to do well. It's not going to age well. We've seen this before. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore IMO, you can only believe in people for so long.

We don't know that this pack isn't going to age well. There is content beyond the storyline, like the military career, that will be useful far beyond the pack. I can already picture having an ROTC group at University whenever that pack arrives, as well as remodeling some of my gyms to contain the new training dummy. And I'll be giving all my writers laptops in the future so they can travel to Selvadorada and Granite Falls (and future vacation destinations) and they can work on their bestsellers in a different location.

This pack, and its theme, likely won't appeal to all players. But then again, neither does Vampires or even Parenthood -- I've seen a lot of posts from people who want more mature content and less family play or happy happy joy joy. (Maybe the expressions on the affected Sims is the devs poking fun at how happy the Sims seem to be most of the time...)

We're 19 years past the original Sims. I think there's room to try something different and as Grant said, if it succeeds we'll see more, if it doesn't we won't see it again. As I said earlier, this particular theme might not be at the top of my list, but I'm willing to give it a fair hearing -- it has enough to make it worth the $20. New world, new CAS, and anything else that's been snuck in (have to go check out some of the B/B review videos in a bit).

Quick sidebar:

I highly recommend Pixelade's world overview. He doesn't spoil any of the mystery, but the views in the new world are absolutely gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1833urAjvqM

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited February 2019
    First, let me say I am not a fan of linear play in the Sim's games. I do own Sim's Medieval and the EP and am OK with that one because you can change it up. You are not walking the same path all the time. With that said, my concern is that this storyline in the new GP is going to become nothing more than wash, rinse, repeat. I didn't sign up for that.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Someone on here said that times change, and people should accept that The Sims isn't the way it used to be years ago aka a sandboxy life simulator...I'm sorry but you can't really apply this logic here when we're talking about this one game on the market that Does. Not. Have. A . Competition.

Why do you think people dedicate their time to ramble on about what they dislike about 4? Because there is nothing for us to move on to. When I didn't like Sim City anymore I got Cities Skylines and loved it. Now, what am I going to do if I'm fed up with the new team ruining something that's so special to millions of people? Go study programming and create my own game? Come on.

Just go look at the ratings of Jungle Adventures. Look at people's reviews (outside of this forum as well). Look at how poorly Get to Work has aged. It's more than clear that scripted gameplay doesn't work for The Sims no matter how much the developers try to force it. You're gonna go through the story of Strangerville once and forget about it. Zero replayability just like JA.

We know this game pack is not going to do well. It's not going to age well. We've seen this before. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore IMO, you can only believe in people for so long.

We don't know that this pack isn't going to age well. There is content beyond the storyline, like the military career, that will be useful far beyond the pack. I can already picture having an ROTC group at University whenever that pack arrives, as well as remodeling some of my gyms to contain the new training dummy. And I'll be giving all my writers laptops in the future so they can travel to Selvadorada and Granite Falls (and future vacation destinations) and they can work on their bestsellers in a different location.

This pack, and its theme, likely won't appeal to all players. But then again, neither does Vampires or even Parenthood -- I've seen a lot of posts from people who want more mature content and less family play or happy happy joy joy. (Maybe the expressions on the affected Sims is the devs poking fun at how happy the Sims seem to be most of the time...)

We're 19 years past the original Sims. I think there's room to try something different and as Grant said, if it succeeds we'll see more, if it doesn't we won't see it again. As I said earlier, this particular theme might not be at the top of my list, but I'm willing to give it a fair hearing -- it has enough to make it worth the $20. New world, new CAS, and anything else that's been snuck in (have to go check out some of the B/B review videos in a bit).
    No pack will appeal to all players, we all have out preferences. But this pack goes further than that (or at least the part they’re selling it with is). I agree there might be great sandbox elements in there that will make it a worthy Sims addition, we’ll have to wait and see about that. The military career, a new world to live in, martial arts, but this topic very clearly is not about those elements, nor is it attacking those elements. This topic is about the story aspect. And that aspect goes beyond “I like supernaturals and you like laundry, we can’t all like the same thing”. That aspect touches the core, the whole principal of the game so far. It goes straight against it, Cinebar is just completely right about that. And yes, they are allowed to change that aspect (quite frankly, they seem a bit lost concerning that original principal anyway, it’s the most linear iteration), but we are allowed to regret that. And you are allowed to cheer it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    There are things I like about the upcoming pack and I think I'll have fun with it. But I do share OPs concerns and the concerns others have mentioned about the future direction of the Sims franchise. If StrangerVille is a success, I really hope the devs won't think this needs to be where the Sims goes from now on, and abandons more and more of the sandbox features that made the franchise such a success.

There are a multitude of quest-driven games out there, the Sims does not need to become the next one. It does concern me because some game publishers have a tendency of going toward what's easiest, cheapest, and good return on the investment, which makes quest-driven games such a draw for them. I don't mind occasional stories to play in my sandbox game, but I want my life simulator to stay a life simulator. I want the ultimate focus to be the story I want to tell. I really hope my concerns will be unfounded.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019
    mika wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I must admit I find it kind of strange people are accusing the OP of not granting them an opinion, while all they’re doing is not granting her an opinion. If you love and embrace this new approach: great. Buy the pack and enjoy it. But it’s clearly a totally different approach, never done before and regardless if you mind that or not, it’s not sandbox. And I’d think people are allowed to regret that? And fear that, if this new approach will be a huge success, that will mean the end of this franchise the way we knew it because the devs have declared if it’s a success, they will continue in this direction. Please practice what you preach and allow others to fear and regret that?

Actually we are allowing everyone to have an opinion. I'm just not allowing anyone to demean and attack me for enjoying this change, which OP has been doing. If you make a post many disagree with, expect them to also voice their opinions. Dont go on the defense and accuse us of doing exactly what you've been doing (not you, the OP and those like them)

I think you have it backwards. Did I do a personal attack on you? No. Read the title of my thread, it's not to you. It's to Maxis and says 'Maxis I love you but...' and then continues into where I think they have fell off the focus track of why Simmers play The Sims and it ain't for scripted stories. I'm not the one trying to defend every decision they have made, and I'm not the one trying to prove how successful it is. BeyondSims told everyting that happens (not per detail) and I watched SimsSupply with GuruRomeo where they all spill a lot of detail. It's never been done because players told them years ago, no. But here we are. ETA: And if some of you didn't play the dectective career or the doctor career in GTW and wondered why some of us thought that also didn't fit this franchise, with the scripted do this, go here, do this sort of gameplay then you are in for a treat, because Strangerville works the very same way. Plan on jumping those hoops.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I see where both sides are coming from. On one hand, it feels wrong on some level to have a story-based pack be, well, a pack, and not it's own thing. I adored the Medieval spin-off and wish it had a better run. At the same time though, I appreciate the control that they've left over the story in StrangerVille. From what I was reading elsewhere in this thread, it sounds like you could delete everything and everyone and still play the story if you want--your way. Which is the essence of The Sims, and honestly sounds pretty awesome.

I need to know more about the content and gameplay before I come to any other conclusions (I'm about to watch TheSimSupply's videos to find out more). The last thing I will say is that what bothers me most, more than the fact that a spin-off dare to exist as a gamepack [well-meaning sarcasm don't at me] is:

a) repeatedly putting out packs when I and others are suffering from more bugs than ever, some very old (I mean I cannot get my sims to stop teleporting, or not ignoring what I tell them to do, and I think it got worse after the most recent patch) and

b) the number of references to Stranger Things and Strangetown. I'd rather them be Easter egg type things rather than very overt since it feels lazy to me to cobble a theme together based on other's/previous work, but again, I'm not sure how bad this really is without having played myself. Overall, if my worries come to nought, then I'll buy the pack (on sale, of course!) and enjoy deleting everything to play the plotline with my own creations, because I love this sort of sci-fi/mystery thing.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member

i do know there is a large group of supernatural stuff fans who are excited and I am happy for them. I'm merely just risking a statement that they'd enjoy it more if they were given an actual supernatural pack without a scripted to-do list and a set story to follow. But that's just my opinion (that I'm basing on 20 years of that game's main appeal being your ability to make things your own... but okay)

Yes, we don't know for sure, but...It's not the first game pack. We have years of experience with this game already to back up people's negative outlook on stuff. I remember when Cats and Dogs was about to come out and everyone was like "this time it's going to be good for sure!" and yet it wasn't. There are more examples of that. That's why it's only logical for me to not give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. How people are so willing to suspend their disbelief every time is truly beyond me at this point.

And if you think a new tiny world and some clothing items (when I can find better stuff online for free, 'cause maxis refuses to catch up with the current times and its fashion) is worth $20 then more power to you, I'm happy you're satisfied. There are people who actually buy expansions for gameplay though. And one single career (that's probably going to be just a bunch of interactions on the computer and doing sports aka what we're already doing in the game way too much) is not gameplay that justifies buying a whole whoopin game pack. A career it's just an element. You can't throw this one small thing at people and say hEy hErE iS tHe gAmEpLaY fOr yOu THouGh!
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 789 Member
    I watched the world overview video,and it seems to have base game venues-a library and a bar.I was hopin there would be brand-new venues for us to enjoy.....
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options

i do know there is a large group of supernatural stuff fans who are excited and I am happy for them. I'm merely just risking a statement that they'd enjoy it more if they were given an actual supernatural pack without a scripted to-do list and a set story to follow. But that's just my opinion (that I'm basing on 20 years of that game's main appeal being your ability to make things your own... but okay)

Yes, we don't know for sure, but...It's not the first game pack. We have years of experience with this game already to back up people's negative outlook on stuff. I remember when Cats and Dogs was about to come out and everyone was like "this time it's going to be good for sure!" and yet it wasn't. There are more examples of that. That's why it's only logical for me to not give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. How people are so willing to suspend their disbelief every time is truly beyond me at this point.

And if you think a new tiny world and some clothing items (when I can find better stuff online for free, 'cause maxis refuses to catch up with the current times and its fashion) is worth $20 then more power to you, I'm happy you're satisfied. There are people who actually buy expansions for gameplay though. And one single career (that's probably going to be just a bunch of interactions on the computer and doing sports aka what we're already doing in the game way too much) is not gameplay that justifies buying a whole whoopin game pack. A career it's just an element. You can't throw this one small thing at people and say hEy hErE iS tHe gAmEpLaY fOr yOu THouGh!

The military career has a lot of it's focus (99%) pushing the Sim to work out. We already have Sims who work out at the wrong times in this game. It's more of it. To my knowledge there aren't any new objects the Sim in the military would use other than a new punching bag.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

The military career has a lot of it's focus (99%) pushing the Sim to work out. We already have Sims who work out at the wrong times in this game. It's more of it. To my knowledge there aren't any new objects the Sim in the military would use other than a new punching bag.

Yeah, exactly. A new career in the Sims 4 is nothing to get excited about, unfortunately. They're so uninspired and out of ideas they just go the most obvious route with everything. Here it was like "uhh... military... soldiers..hmmm.... SPORTS! WORKING OUT! WE GOT IT!" because that way they're able to re-use basic features and sell them as an innovation. It's more of the same folks. We've seen it before and seems like we're gonna be seeing it until this iteration dies (if y'all don't consider it to be dead already)
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited February 2019
    You have the same issues. I watched a lets play, which I do not normally do, and the sims went to play on the laptop without a prompt and had to be booted to perform what the player wanted.
  • Options

Yeah, exactly. A new career in the Sims 4 is nothing to get excited about, unfortunately. They're so uninspired and out of ideas they just go the most obvious route with everything. Here it was like "uhh... military... soldiers..hmmm.... SPORTS! WORKING OUT! WE GOT IT!" because that way they're able to re-use basic features and sell them as an innovation. It's more of the same folks. We've seen it before and seems like we're gonna be seeing it until this iteration dies (if y'all don't consider it to be dead already)

There are things the military would do if you play as someone in the military, but to gain those promotions it's the punching bag. A reskinned punching bag. It surprises me to say the least when some thinks that's a good thing. I'm with you and should get off my soap box, but it makes my teeth cringe to think they would do more story driven packs at the end of TS4's life, (2 or 3 more years) and makes me shudder, to think others are sooooo bored with The Sims series they would also welcome those changes to the core of the life simulator. It takes up space in the slots they have left to fill, we all should know and they probably do know, it can't go on forever, and if is the direction if this sells well, then someone wake me up when the day came Simmers welcomed developers controlling their games, and telling their stories and scripting stories as the final packs in a game. When there are like ten billion better ideas out there.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Well done that man. :)

I'm sure those who get this for console (when it's ported over) will be thrilled it's right up their alley. Those who never liked the game and was bored with what to do next will also love it. No doubt, but those of us who understand why we stayed with this franchise for twenty years will probably not rush to buy it or just buy it for the new 'world'. But really, they would do better to take the ideas and start a whole new franchise of this type of genre..but they did try that, with TSM and Sims Online, two genres that Simmers didn't take to, too much. I agree there is a newer, gamer breed out there that wants to change all the genres they play into something else. But most die hard fans of any genre will frown on changing their own fav. game's genre.

Why do you keep saying that about console players? What is console got to do with it?
    Console players want what pc players want and I know that from spending time in other places where console players also gather.

I have concerns about the new pack but I think it’s a stretch to say they are out of ideas because they are doing something different. I do think the game needs to try something different at this stage.

Console versions of any of TS2 or TS3 were very scripted. It's why many of those of us who love the series for PC don't buy console versions. We want our sandbox and despise scripted play. But since this pack will be story driven just like on other formats where they ported the game to different genres, they should love it, once they get it. Time to change? The Sims PC is dead.

Actually you are wrong.

Sims busted out had a story but also had a regular mode. As did the original sims game. I can’t comment on sims 2 as I never played that on console.

Sims 3 for console had a regular mode just like pc, the differences being no open world and of course no expansions. You could play them exactly like you played the pc. There was limitations with it being a console but it wasn’t scripted, forced play.
    I know because as well as having the sims 1-4 on pc I also had it for console (and still do)

Sims 4 on console is an exact port of pc. Right down to bugs. So you can’t say console players like scripted events and scripted game play as if that’s all those versions were because it’s incorrect.

Not going to argue, I know many things that were scripted for the TS2 console versions. Have fun with this pack and maybe (since they said they would do more) more will come out and you guys can kill off the franchise with it.

No need to be so rude. I never said I was buying a pack I just Pointed out you are wrong about the sims games I personally played on console. There was no story or scripted you had to play. Why do you care anyhow? You don’t even play the darn game!

I care about the direction of the franchise. Why do I care? How about I have played TS4, I paid (not given) for GTW, CL, GT, DO, Vampires and few I'm not remembering like Spa Day and others like PH. Why do I care? Are you trying to get my thread deleted? I spent three years of my life playing TS4 and trying to give feedback to build a better life simulator like I have with all the others since day one in 2000. I played Sims City 2000 back in 1998, why do I care? Because I have been with this franchise for over twenty years. I have spent money on all the games, that might not seem like a lot to people today but add it up, I have a vested interest.

You aren’t the only one whose played the game since The Original Sims. I have too. I also played sim city. But who cares? That doesn’t mean our opinions are “better” than someone who came to the series at the sims 2, 3 or 4. I have long ago accepted the sims 4 is not the same game as the previous games despite bearing the same title. I’m over it. I’ve grown up with this series and yes it has evolved and changed many times. Many of which I don’t like, some of which I do. Come to think of it all the game franchises that I play that are long running franchises- they all have evolved and change with the times. I’m not going to de rail the thread with examples but I can think of a few.

The problem is you are posting your opinions on a public forum and anyone has the right of reply. Not everyone will agree with you and there is a strong mentality of “If you don’t agree with me, you love the sims 4 and we can’t have a discussion” Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make them wrong. Everyone is different.

I played the original sims game to. I haven't been fond of every pack TS4 has had either but I still buy them to add stuff and I have invested tons of money in this series as a whole. Maybe it's different for me because I am just using money in my EA Wallet to pay for game and I am willing to buy anything that comes out. I have lots of packs I hate I don't like Pets I hate Jungle Adventure I really don't like Parenthood because it changed the game and I am starting to hate Get Famous I really don't like Vampires either now. But I have them because I like what the game adds like furniture a new world new clothes and hair. Like someone said that not everyone is going to like every pack and I realize it seems story driven but this is still a sims game you can play how you want. You aren't required to play story part it's still a sandbox game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I'm sure those who get this for console (when it's ported over) will be thrilled it's right up their alley. Those who never liked the game and was bored with what to do next will also love it. No doubt, but those of us who understand why we stayed with this franchise for twenty years will probably not rush to buy it or just buy it for the new 'world'. But really, they would do better to take the ideas and start a whole new franchise of this type of genre..but they did try that, with TSM and Sims Online, two genres that Simmers didn't take to, too much. I agree there is a newer, gamer breed out there that wants to change all the genres they play into something else. But most die hard fans of any genre will frown on changing their own fav. game's genre.

Why do you keep saying that about console players? What is console got to do with it?
    Console players want what pc players want and I know that from spending time in other places where console players also gather.

I have concerns about the new pack but I think it’s a stretch to say they are out of ideas because they are doing something different. I do think the game needs to try something different at this stage.

Console versions of any of TS2 or TS3 were very scripted. It's why many of those of us who love the series for PC don't buy console versions. We want our sandbox and despise scripted play. But since this pack will be story driven just like on other formats where they ported the game to different genres, they should love it, once they get it. Time to change? The Sims PC is dead.

Actually you are wrong.

Sims busted out had a story but also had a regular mode. As did the original sims game. I can’t comment on sims 2 as I never played that on console.

Sims 3 for console had a regular mode just like pc, the differences being no open world and of course no expansions. You could play them exactly like you played the pc. There was limitations with it being a console but it wasn’t scripted, forced play.
    I know because as well as having the sims 1-4 on pc I also had it for console (and still do)

Sims 4 on console is an exact port of pc. Right down to bugs. So you can’t say console players like scripted events and scripted game play as if that’s all those versions were because it’s incorrect.

Not going to argue, I know many things that were scripted for the TS2 console versions. Have fun with this pack and maybe (since they said they would do more) more will come out and you guys can kill off the franchise with it.

No need to be so rude. I never said I was buying a pack I just Pointed out you are wrong about the sims games I personally played on console. There was no story or scripted you had to play. Why do you care anyhow? You don’t even play the darn game!

I care about the direction of the franchise. Why do I care? How about I have played TS4, I paid (not given) for GTW, CL, GT, DO, Vampires and few I'm not remembering like Spa Day and others like PH. Why do I care? Are you trying to get my thread deleted? I spent three years of my life playing TS4 and trying to give feedback to build a better life simulator like I have with all the others since day one in 2000. I played Sims City 2000 back in 1998, why do I care? Because I have been with this franchise for over twenty years. I have spent money on all the games, that might not seem like a lot to people today but add it up, I have a vested interest.

You aren’t the only one whose played the game since The Original Sims. I have too. I also played sim city. But who cares? That doesn’t mean our opinions are “better” than someone who came to the series at the sims 2, 3 or 4. I have long ago accepted the sims 4 is not the same game as the previous games despite bearing the same title. I’m over it. I’ve grown up with this series and yes it has evolved and changed many times. Many of which I don’t like, some of which I do. Come to think of it all the game franchises that I play that are long running franchises- they all have evolved and change with the times. I’m not going to de rail the thread with examples but I can think of a few.

The problem is you are posting your opinions on a public forum and anyone has the right of reply. Not everyone will agree with you and there is a strong mentality of “If you don’t agree with me, you love the sims 4 and we can’t have a discussion” Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make them wrong. Everyone is different.

I played the original sims game to. I haven't been fond of every pack TS4 has had either but I still buy them to add stuff and I have invested tons of money in this series as a whole. Maybe it's different for me because I am just using money in my EA Wallet to pay for game and I am willing to buy anything that comes out. I have lots of packs I hate I don't like Pets I hate Jungle Adventure I really don't like Parenthood because it changed the game and I am starting to hate Get Famous I really don't like Vampires either now. But I have them because I like what the game adds like furniture a new world new clothes and hair. Like someone said that not everyone is going to like every pack and I realize it seems story driven but this is still a sims game you can play how you want. You aren't required to play story part it's still a sandbox game.

Game Pack= means gameplay Expansion Pack =means expand on the entire gameplay. It doesn't mean buy it anyway because you want some new clothes and furntiture. CC is free. OR should remain free. They must love players who hate the gameplay but buy the packs anyway. If you encourage them to build more that you don't like or that you don't even play then be careful how you spend that money. Because the success of this pack means we get more story driven packs...no gameplay unless you play the story. Glorified stuff packs shouldn't cost $20 for TS4 since they were only $10 a few years ago. A glorified stuff pack, diguised as a GP, which offers no replay value after the first three hours took up space. And with cc some could save themselves a lot of money to buy a better built real adventure game. ETA: Buy away so they can fill up the rest of those slots with more story driven packs instead of something you might enjoy more.
  • Options

Actually you are wrong.

Game Pack= means gameplay Expansion Pack =means expand on the entire gameplay. It doesn't mean buy it anyway because you want some new clothes and furntiture. CC is free. OR should remain free. They must love players who hate the gameplay but buy the packs anyway. If you encourage them to build more that you don't like or that you don't even play then be careful how you spend that money. Because the success of this pack means we get more story driven packs...no gameplay unless you play the story. Glorified stuff packs shouldn't cost $20 for TS4 since they were only $10 a few years ago. A glorified GP which offers no replay value after the first three hours took up space. And with cc some could save themselves a lot of money to buy a better built real adventure game.
    My point was I am more willing to try the packs that come out because I am not actually spending my own money to buy them . I mean it is my money but its been there for 3 years in my EA Wallet so it doesn't feel like I am actually using my own money.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

Actually you are wrong.

Game Pack= means gameplay Expansion Pack =means expand on the entire gameplay. It doesn't mean buy it anyway because you want some new clothes and furntiture. CC is free. OR should remain free. They must love players who hate the gameplay but buy the packs anyway. If you encourage them to build more that you don't like or that you don't even play then be careful how you spend that money. Because the success of this pack means we get more story driven packs...no gameplay unless you play the story. Glorified stuff packs shouldn't cost $20 for TS4 since they were only $10 a few years ago. A glorified GP which offers no replay value after the first three hours took up space. And with cc some could save themselves a lot of money to buy a better built real adventure game.
    My point was I am more willing to try the packs that come out because I am not actually spending my own money to buy them . I mean it is my money but its been there for 3 years in my EA Wallet so it doesn't feel like I am actually using my own money.

? is that like out of sight, out of mind. Throw it away on clothes and furniture since you didn't miss it to start with? Joking but spend it however you want. But they have said if this does a lot of money they make more of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Actually you are wrong.

? is that like out of sight, out of mind. Throw it away on clothes and furniture since you didn't miss it to start with? Joking but spend it however you want. But they have said if this does a lot of money they make more of it.
    So just because you aren't willing to try it no one else should support the game pack? I have every pack for the SIms 4 and I dislike a lot of them but that doesn't mean I don't like what the packs have in them. I want hobbies more places for my sims to go and things to do I can't constantly play this game and not get bored. But I buy the packs for the content not necessarily for the gameplay it adds to the game. I don't play the way most people would I just play to have fun.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Exactly my point as well. I play lots of video games, but only one life simulator and that's the sims. I really dont want to have to find another outlet for life simulation.
    They are trying to entertain those who dont know how to entertain themselves in a game like this. They need to be told what to do or they get bored. It's unfortunate they are catering to those groups now.

I'm not saying ALL, but most that want this are probably very young and haven't grown up with the sims since day one to feel how troublesome this is.This pack has popped a hole in the sims, and the more packs that come out like this, the more that hole is gonna widen until it's just blown and torn and nobody remembers it was even a life simulator to begin with. It will just be another video game at some point.

Please, if you're gonna quote me, actually respond with thoughts instead of canned responses like, you can turn the story off, you dont have to buy it etc...
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member

I hope it won't be sucessful. The Sims is defenitely the target of EA to experiment the worst things ever... I'm so sad...

So that means you're not getting it. Right? And you no longer want to be considered for the giveaway?

Ewww...I wish I could flag this as inappropriate, but I'm not the flag waving kind of gal. It's probably the grossest thing I've ever seen on the forums.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,022 Member
    edited February 2019
    soko37 wrote: »

I hope it won't be sucessful. The Sims is defenitely the target of EA to experiment the worst things ever... I'm so sad...

So that means you're not getting it. Right? And you no longer want to be considered for the giveaway?

Ewww...I wish I could flag this as inappropriate, but I'm not the flag waving kind of gal. It's probably the grossest thing I've ever seen on the forums.

The poster indicated he/she did not want the game to be successful. Why should I give away a game to someone who is not going to appreciate and wants it to fail.
    The poster is within his rights to say whatever he wants about the game but if you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk and stop supporting the game.

And you can flag it. Just hit that flag button.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Wow, there is no reasoning with you, is there? Look, I did not want a laundry pack but I did not complain and go on a tirade when they made it, because clearly enough Simmers wanted it enough for it to be made. You have not made any type of argument, you are going into a ridiculous panic over one single GP as if this determines the course of the whole franchise. Imagine if I started crying as though everything else is going to be about chores because they made one silly pack about laundry.

Sims is still sandbox and always will be. I have played many sandbox games and nearly all of them include quests and goals as an option for players that prefer some type of story. Do you understand what that means? This pack and its "questy" things as you call it are completely optional. You can still play the game however you want to. Its more than possible to create your own story in a game that has stories in it. You sound like someone who has only ever played the Sims, not that there's anything wrong with that. You're just being irrational and close minded over a single GP. Its fine if you don't like it. But you can't speak for all of us and get angry when we praise it or like things that you don't.

I am fine with the direction TS4 is going, especially if that includes more stories and lore, and I will not play a different game just because you clearly fear others being happy with it and requesting more of it.

Agreed. Another sandbox game that I played is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. The game lets you build parks to your dreams, yet there are still tons of scenarios and golas
    that you can achieve if tou had wanted to. While it is presented as a separate mode, the game is still essentialy a sandbox game. The Sims is the same. Even EP's from previous games give us goals that are optional for the players. Heck this "questy" things are even part of the base games. Wants of a sim is a great example. You can follow it of you wanted to or completely ignore it if you want your own story.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2019
    soko37 wrote: »
    Exactly my point as well. I play lots of video games, but only one life simulator and that's the sims. I really dont want to have to find another outlet for life simulation.
    They are trying to entertain those who dont know how to entertain themselves in a game like this. They need to be told what to do or they get bored. It's unfortunate they are catering to those groups now.

I'm not saying ALL, but most that want this are probably very young and haven't grown up with the sims since day one to feel how troublesome this is.This pack has popped a hole in the sims, and the more packs that come out like this, the more that hole is gonna widen until it's just blown and torn and nobody remembers it was even a life simulator to begin with. It will just be another video game at some point.

Please, if you're gonna quote me, actually respond with thoughts instead of canned responses like, you can turn the story off, you dont have to buy it etc...

I've been simming since 2003, and I disagree and will tell you why.

While I would not enjoy a heavy scripted life simulator, I do enjoy the occasional story. You talk about a group that doesn't know how to entertain themselves, and that catering to them is unfortunate. Wouldn't it be feasible to say the opposite as well? That catering to the group that wants total control, full blown "only use your imagination" is unfortunate? It reminds me of TS3. The game has a story progression, where other sims may do life-altering actions without you guiding them nor doing anything, thus writing their own stories, escaping your grasp. I loved this, I loved the fact that I could play one household and watch as the unexpected happened around town, without my involvement. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but you get the idea.

As a LIFE simulator, isn't part of life being told what to do at work i.e.? Isn't part of life to arrive to a location and discover the place, and be told what to do to achieve something? You may or may not follow said instructions, and that is entirely true in this pack. Scripted play i.e. for GTW makes perfect sense. You don't go to work and arbitrarily sit there to think what to do, you have a job with responsibilities that you have to fulfill. I can agree to something like social events not needing scripted objectives at all, and I'm glad they can be ignored because honestly a social event's success should not be dictated by whether you managed to get 3 sims to listen to the stereo at the same time or not.

A mixture of genres is not uncommon at all. Sandbox games may have objectives that you *may* follow or not, but they are still there. They may have a story built in them, that is entirely optional. Survival sandbox games apply this a lot. You have a straight plot, you can follow it and reach an arbitrary "end" that isn't an end at all because the game keeps going, or you can go all out and do as you please.

I play The Sims to simulate life and sometimes beyond realism. But my main enjoyment comes out of tailoring the game to be self-sufficient. I do not write stories in my head, I do not control the entire town, I enjoy raw content, I enjoy completing all that I can, I do not take SS and write out a fictional story, I do not pretend like little Timmy cried at school because Bob was mean to him and came back to hide under his bed. I immerse myself in a world that does not need my guidance to simulate itself, I have been doing so since TS2 (because in TS1 it was basically impossible). In fact out of the 39 mods I run, I'd say 20 of them target efficiency and self-sufficiency. Things like First Person View for me are amazing, but I can totally understand how a lot of folks considered that addition useless. There is not one single outlook on a genre that is "right", genres are malleable and, in some cases, mixable.

@Cinebar
    Had this been an expansion pack, I'd have probably been a little upset. But given that it's a game pack, which falls somewhere in the middle of a stuff pack and expansion pack, I'm content with the option given. On the topic of "if this succeeds then we do more, if it doesn't then we try other new things" well, if this were to succeed, what does that imply? Assuming that since this is EA and EA (IMO) rules by one thing only (money, money and more money), it means that either A. The community will buy anything they churn out; or B. The silent majority approve of such content. So in that regards, I'm no one to claim that one direction is better than the other for the franchise, because I'm a small number in a huge equation. And if it so were that it turns out a lot of people end up loving this and buying it, and that translates to more GPs of this type, then even if I personally do not want a lot of focus on this style of content, the consumers do, and there is nothing wrong with that.

That isn't to say there aren't a dozen other things I'd prefer they focused on, but none of them relate to DLCs.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    If the story is entirely optional to any Sim who I decide to have live there and there is enough other stuff in the pack to justify the price, then I will get it when it's on sale (for reasons separate from this thread's purpose).

I do not have a problem with them trying new things - even if it is a story. I just hope that while they're experimenting they aren't forgetting to put in enough other stuff in case the experiment goes belly up. So that this pack has some replayability and longevity.

Sims 2 had little stories set up when you first launched the game and a mystery in it - Don and Cassandra's wedding (or Don leaving her at the alter), Nina & Dina being robbed, Mary-Sue catching the maid with Daniel, etc And then of course what happened to Bella being the mystery. Hopefully at least this mystery will have an answer to it in game, unlike with Sims 2's mystery.

And for all we know at this point, the Sims 4 story could be just like the Sims 2 story: completely avoidable or have minimal impact if you don't do (or do) certain things right at the start. So while there may not be a toggle, you may be able to just bypass it via playing the game.

I am wary that they won't be able to pull it off, but I don't judge something before it's released and I can look at reviews by people who are less likely to be biased towards it (Game Changers I don't know if I fully trust their reviews given EA's hold on whether or not they are or are not Game Changers - or the perception of that might cloud their review).
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    There are things I like about the upcoming pack and I think I'll have fun with it. But I do share OPs concerns and the concerns others have mentioned about the future direction of the Sims franchise. If StrangerVille is a success, I really hope the devs won't think this needs to be where the Sims goes from now on, and abandons more and more of the sandbox features that made the franchise such a success.

There are a multitude of quest-driven games out there, the Sims does not need to become the next one. It does concern me because some game publishers have a tendency of going toward what's easiest, cheapest, and good return on the investment, which makes quest-driven games such a draw for them. I don't mind occasional stories to play in my sandbox game, but I want my life simulator to stay a life simulator. I want the ultimate focus to be the story I want to tell. I really hope my concerns will be unfounded.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of packs that aren't as "story driven" whatever that means. We've still got witches and other supernaturals to come along, plus University, maybe farming or future life (I need my Plumbots!) and themes we haven't even thought about yet. Not all of those would lend to this type of gameplay. And that's the beauty of game packs -- they can stretch the envelope a bit when it comes to a specific topic. Devoting an entire EP to this type of play would bother me a lot more than having in in a GP, even if we're now getting 2 EP a year like in 2018 (or maybe that was just a one-off for last year and we'll go back to waiting till November for our one EP again).

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    CeCeDot wrote: »
    I see this game pack as like a world pack. But this world has a story to it. Honestly it gives character to the world! You can still play a sandbox game if you want.

You know what, that's like saying MMO can be avoided, but all the work would go into the MMO side of the game. and the sandbox would suffer, AKA Strangerville is a small example of how that would apply in a mixed genre.

You can't know that unless you have played the game. Who knows, I might agree ones I get my hands on the pack. But for now I have an open mind towards this new idea
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top