March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis, I Love You, But...

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited February 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Are you guys so out of ideas of how to build anything new for The Sims' sandbox, life simulator, you had to go and build a story driven pack? Seriously, are you bored? I'm not being snarky. I'm looking at the point of The Sims. A unique, life simulator. We can find thousands and thousands of adventure games. Some rate a ten on my list. Being an adventure gamer myself it's the one reason I loved The Sims franchise, because it wasn't.

If you want to 'experiment' with ideas and packs like the new one coming on the market, then why not pitch your ideas to EA and build another spin off of Story Driven, Story Mode games? You did really well with The Sims Medieval, as far as the stories, the quests, the content, the concept. But the problem was it's a niche market if it has Sims in it and not just a character type adventure game.

I'm disappointed you seem to be out of ideas of how to expand on the life simulator. Or bored or burnt out or whatever. Maybe it's time to find a new line of where you can excel with your story writing and scripting because the life simulator isn't the place in my opinion. You will probably do very well with the Strangerville pack since TS4 players get bored quite easily and buy up just anything you put out there. But I hope you realise this isn't the focus of The Sims and I hope you take your ideas to build (story driven) spin offs somewhere else, instead of thinking we all want more of this. No, what we want you to do is read the feedback and ideas and use that gray matter to build a better life simulator.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't hear a tone since there isn't music or 'tones' included. It says what I think. They are out of ideas of how to actually build an amazing life simulator or this wouldn't be what they would have done. They may have some other ideas but the person that gave the green light for this must have felt yes, we need to change The Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Well done that man. :)
    edited February 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    Well done that man. :)

I'm sure those who get this for console (when it's ported over) will be thrilled it's right up their alley. Those who never liked the game and was bored with what to do next will also love it. No doubt, but those of us who understand why we stayed with this franchise for twenty years will probably not rush to buy it or just buy it for the new 'world'. But really, they would do better to take the ideas and start a whole new franchise of this type of genre..but they did try that, with TSM and Sims Online, two genres that Simmers didn't take to, too much. I agree there is a newer, gamer breed out there that wants to change all the genres they play into something else. But most die hard fans of any genre will frown on changing their own fav. game's genre.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't think the developers are bored or out of ideas.

I'll just copy this from another thread:

I'm all for a pack like this. Especially at this stage of the game's development. We've got the two most requested packs, Seasons and Pets, out of way. I think we'll get a university pack, a tropical vacation pack, and another occult pack, probably witches. I think the developers are now starting to speculate on new ideas to bring once those packs are released and are testing the waters to see how well this story driven pack is received.

And tweets from Grant.

• LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    I don't like story packs. Give me a spin-off for that instead! And by the way... isn't The Sims Mobile already a stories game?
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    All i can say is patience is a virtue... A pack that is not your cup of tea doesn't mean there won't be any pack you like coming. We all want University (well most of us) there's no way we won't get it. Everyone is asking for witches ... well we might get that as well down the road. The sims 4 isn't over yet , we have a few years of content coming as Grant said, and i'm very certain they won't leave us like that. After 4 iterrations of the game , i've learned that most of the time we get what we want plus some extra surprises.
    Further more we can't judge a pack that's not out yet. The only info we have is a trailer , a teaser and some info from the patch ... I think it's a great idea they are exploring something new. And you don't HAVE to play the storyline. From what i understand you can completely ignore it.
    The majority of community seems to care a lot about packs and packs and Im here like: "fix and improve the dam base game please"
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited February 2019
    Actually, I've been playing since TS2, and I'm kind of looking forward to the new GP. It adds some of the sci-fi elements that TS4 has been lacking in and it'll be a fun little adventure to take certain sims of mine on. And, hey, maybe some of the things added in this pack can actually be used to build our own adventure scenarios, so we're not just stuck with the one storyline. I'd actually like that, especially if we could upload our own scenarios on the gallery for other players to be able to play through as well. A whole genre of "build-your-own adventure" packs could come from this and add an new element to the game.

While I see where you're coming from with the frustration that, instead of making a story-focused spinoff title and focusing on improving the sandbox elements of the main game they made this, I don't think that this pack is inherently a bad addition to the game. Laundry? Yes, I think that was a bad addition to the game because I hate doing chores. An adventure scenario? Nah, I think it's cool because I love adventures. Heck, maybe the reason this pack is even being made is because the team originally wanted to make another story-focused spinoff title, but the execs at EA wouldn't approve the project unless they made it a pack for TS4 instead of a stand-alone title. Things like that do happen at media companies. Someone can go to, say, Cartoon Network and want to make a series about a teen genius fighting evil aliens with his insane inventions. CN takes one look at this project, the execs think it's cool, but they want to hedge their bets so they say, "Yes, but only if you can turn it into a Dexter's Laboratory sequel series." So, next thing you know, you have Dexter: Alien Wars, with a teenaged Dexter fighting evil aliens along with Dee Dee and Mandark. That's the entertainment industry.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Are you guys so out of ideas of how to build anything new for The Sims' sandbox, life simulator, you had to go and build a story driven pack? Seriously, are you bored? I'm not being snarky. I'm looking at the point of The Sims. A unique, life simulator. We can find thousands and thousands of adventure games. Some rate a ten on my list. Being an adventure gamer myself it's the one reason I loved The Sims franchise, because it wasn't.

If you want to 'experiment' with ideas and packs like the new one coming on the market, then why not pitch your ideas to EA and build another spin off of Story Driven, Story Mode games? You did really well with The Sims Medieval, as far as the stories, the quests, the content, the concept. But the problem was it's a niche market if it has Sims in it and not just a character type adventure game.

I'm disappointed you seem to be out of ideas of how to expand on the life simulator. Or bored or burnt out or whatever. Maybe it's time to find a new line of where you can excel with your story writing and scripting because the life simulator isn't the place in my opinion. You will probably do very well with the Strangerville pack since TS4 players get bored quite easily and buy up just anything you put out there. But I hope you realise this isn't the focus of The Sims and I hope you take your ideas to build (story driven) spin offs somewhere else, instead of thinking we all want more of this. No, what we want you to do is read the feedback and ideas and use that gray matter to build a better life simulator.

What I put in bold resume exactly the whole problem of this team and why TS4 is so boring.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited February 2019

I'm all for a pack like this. Especially at this stage of the game's development. We've got the two most requested packs, Seasons and Pets, out of way. I think we'll get a university pack, a tropical vacation pack, and another occult pack, probably witches. I think the developers are now starting to speculate on new ideas to bring once those packs are released and are testing the waters to see how well this story driven pack is received.

And tweets from Grant.

I hope it won't be sucessful. The Sims is defenitely the target of EA to experiment the worst things ever... I'm so sad...
    Trying to sell a half backed game > it worked. Trying to make a dlc for a dlc > it worked. And now trying to make a sandbox game a progression game > it will work. What's next EA? :weary:
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited February 2019

I hope it won't be sucessful. The Sims is defenitely the target of EA to experiment the worst things ever... I'm so sad...

So that means you're not getting it. Right? And you no longer want to be considered for the giveaway?
    > @geminiagre said:
    > basically what i see loads in the community is "stop doing the same things over and over, give us something new" - they get something new- "who asked for that?" ...and its really really frustrating

I've seen similar themes before. For me this is just like another feature that can be easly compared to Jungle Adventure or World Adventures. Its like The Sims Stories and its even inspired in The Sims 2 StrangeTpwn. For me is nothing so "new".

And tweets from Grant.

It amazes me after all this time with this franchise he doesn't know what would be successful, how about the original forumla for The Sims and stop trying to change it.
    edited February 2019

So that means you're not getting it. Right? And you no longer want to be considered for the giveaway?

I don't care it's just a giveaway. I prefer to care about the future of the game that I love since I'm a little kid instead of being influenced by someone who's trying to blackmail me.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    Maybe the big problem is exactly that... The Sims 4 never felt like a proper successor of the previous games. It always looked and stills looking like a spin-off. Its exactly what happened with SimCity in 2013 but unlike SimCity, The Sims is just lucky for not having competition on the market.

I don't care it's just a giveaway. I prefer to care about the future of the game that I love since I'm a little kid instead of being influenced by someone who's trying to blackmail me.

I'm not trying to blackmail you. I'd just rather see the game go to someone who's excited and looking forward to playing it.
    edited February 2019
    I don't like story packs. Give me a spin-off for that instead! And by the way... isn't The Sims Mobile already a stories game?

Yes, maybe we get microtransactions next! Whee! Buy a color swatch.

I'm not trying to blackmail you. I'd just rather see the game go to someone who's excited and looking forward to playing it.

Of course I'm excited about pretty much everything is related to The Sims. You can put me away from your giveaway cause I can afford it myself. But it's not because I know that I will enjoy a dlc that I'm supposed to shut my mouth, it's a proof that I care of this game.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yes, maybe we get microtransactions next! Whee! Buy a color swatch.

ahahah im afraid of that!
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I hear you can turn off the story if you want to.
    catitude5 wrote: »

If thats true it will be just a world with a bunch of new clotes and build and buy objects (some with new gameplay)... for 20$! ahahah kinda looks like the world packs from The Sims 3 Store
    edited February 2019
    catitude5 wrote: »

There isn't a toggle. The point is why did they think they should change this game (even with just a GP) into something it's not. It's a life simulator, god game. Out of ideas. Experimenting with coca cola almost ruined it's franchise. Stand alone story driven games sometimes interest me, I even buy them sometimes, questy stuff, but not in a god game, life simulator.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited February 2019

@Jordan061102 Not good to bandy words like blackmail about, better to leave free gifts to those that really want them.

I'm excited for StoryVille @simgirl1010 but let your gift go to someone who cannot afford it. I'm ok for the cash myself so didn't put myself forward for it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top