Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How To Install Store Items

Comments

• Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    I also recall something about a few items being updated for seasons, which created duplicates of those items.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn thank you :) that makes me feel better. I was kinda worried that I did something wrong when I installed everything.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 - your dccache FOLDER can be 9.3GB, which is probably because of your cc. Mine is only 6.xGB. You can use all your store content, and even your cc, in game. The secret is to install the items in small enough batches to keep each .ebc file under 20MB. As I mentioned before, you'll probably have 25 .ebc files when you finish reinstalling.

If you do plan to reinstall your store content, look at my spreadsheet. It lists every single item (in abbreviated form) and the way I grouped them together. I have tabs for items separated by type and you can look at how big each world, compilation, set, venue, and item file would be. Just note that the .ebc file sizes do vary a bit by system and even the order in which you install them. (For example, I tried to put three particular worlds into the same .ebc file. If installed with largest-sized world first, the file size was different than if I installed with the largest-sized world last.) My spreadsheet shows exactly how I installed, what item and in what order, to get my file sizes all close to 204,800kb without going over. If you follow that, you'll have all the links to make installing easier (except for the items I don't have and we couldn't find links for). For anything you have that isn't linked, you'll have to search your purchase history.

I, also, think the cc works better if you put it in the mods folder and thus save the launcher the extra work. I THINK you can install your cc through the launcher one set or one item at a time if only the .sims3pack option is available. Then, you'd rename the file(s) that ends up in the dcbackup folder and move that to the mods/packages file. Then delete the .dbc file from the dccache folder and install the next cc item. (It's easier if the creator already has a .package file option for you to unpack and place in the mods/package folder in whatever sub-folder you want to keep your cc organized. For example, I have NRaas mods in their own sub-folder, mods that make items recolorable or slideable in others, mods that fix what I think of as irritants such as not being able to have a conversation because the ground is sloped in another folder. I have more folders for hairs by Wojtek, EA windows that are centered on two walls instead of one, etc.) Many people then merge their cc .package files together much like the dccache .ebc files are merged, condensed files of several items. This makes the game file smaller in size and more efficient. However, you can have your cc installed through the launcher, if you prefer. It just means more files for the launcher to have to deal with.

Hi @ciane

I am just getting used to folders but most of my CC is in package file in my mods folder so i assuming simpak cc goes into the DCCache folder and become the files I see there. I understand now you mean to add the store content a little at a time I have always just placed the whole store simpaks in my downloads folder and clicked install lol

I have copied and paste all the info the way you have described it here and will look at it again when going through your spreadsheet. I just need to get this info into a working system in my mind and I will be fine it's a little like remembering what to do in new worlds that have a lot of lag but it is only latley I have started to try and learn about folders and files and how that can help the game as well. when I have to use a new world..

I am assuming this is the same info for the disc version of the game as well as I have gone back to using discs..

I just realized I need to make my new world saves this way to give them the best possible start then save that particular world as a template of sorts for next time if I need to use a new one.

Thank you so much for your help with this topic it is much appreciated as always :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Yep, just install one at a time or a like group that isn't too big. I start with worlds. One world is so big it takes up most of the .ebc file by itself. So, with that world .ebc file, I add the things that need to be installed first, like the patterns, and things that were left out of a set or messed up (like the mid-century dining chair). Then I pull out that .ebc file and put it in a safe loc and pick another world to install.

And, yes, I do the same thing with EA worlds. I delete the parking spots downtown so my sims can't leave cars behind. I delete fences so animals can't get trapped there. I delete stairs at parks so pups, kittens, and toddlers aren't placed there, forever trying to get down. When I get the world the way I like it, I call it something like RVs (Riverview Start). I don't need to keep it in my sims 3 folder if I don't plan to play that world, I can move it to a folder I name Worlds. I am constantly popping folders in and out. Just make yourself a backup of your world template, so you don't accidentally overwrite it. I have sometimes hit save instead of "save as", so it's always nice to have that backup!

And yes, this works for discs. I all discs and on the 1.67 patch. The only extra step to that is to make sure you get the store patch, which you can copy and paste from your old sims 3 folder. Apparently 1.69 and Origin already include that.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Thank you @ciane

In just a couple of posts you have made it so much more understandable and I truly appreciate that :)
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    How is it working out for you @SPARKY1922 ?
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    I would like your opinion ciane .

I don't have everything that is listed for each ebc file on your list, but I still go on ahead and follow the way you've bundled each ebc file. Even if I don't own all that is listed there, just add what I do own that is listed for that ebc bundle. I do this because I'm too OCD to redo for myself.

So some of the EBC files aren't as full as they could be. I was wondering if that was okay, or I should I redo them so they can be full?

Also, I have it very organized and I know what is missing from those certain ebc file. So if I do get the items that are missing from one of the ebc files I can redo that ebc file again with no trouble, right?

PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    That's fine @Goodywood. When you do download stuff and install it, you will just have to take out all the .ebc files and rename the one you want to which you want to add stuff back to zero. Then you install and rename it back to the number it was. Then you move the other files back in again.
  • Options
    That's fine @Goodywood. When you do download stuff and install it, you will just have to take out all the .ebc files and rename the one you want to which you want to add stuff back to zero. Then you install and rename it back to the number it was. Then you move the other files back in again.

Perfect! Thank you ciane!
  • Options
    I just updated the first post again. I added the spreadsheet with links that I had prior to the reinstall guide. It shows which sets are included in compilations and combinations, so you can see for yourself how best you can reinstall store stuff if you don't own the store.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Hi ciane or anyone who knows the answer...

I'm on merge 14. The first set is ModIndiaInsp, however there is no link available to the download page like the others. I just want to make sure I'm downloading the right set.

Is this it? : https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?categoryId=&scategoryId=13500&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:49576&pcategoryId=&ppcategoryId=13499

Thank you! :)

@ciane Also, I don't need the spreadsheet you've just added (listing which sets are included in compilations and combinations), since I'm following your reinstall guide even if I don't own all the sets/items in that merge, right?

Thank you again!

Edit: I hope the link works.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The link you gave is to India Inspiration Collection, yes. There is another link to a India Inspiration Collection page that includes Dreams of India, but I have that listed later in another file.

So your link is the one needed with 46 items. Later, Dreams of India will have another 27 items.

No, you don't need the older spreadsheet if you follow the latest spreadsheet. The older one merely helps by showing which sets are duplicated in compilations.

Thank you for letting me know of the missing link. It showed as a hyperlink, but the address was missing. Now, I've added the link, reuploaded to fileShare, and put that link in my first post. :smiley:

Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    The link you gave is to India Inspiration Collection, yes. There is another link to a India Inspiration Collection page that includes Dreams of India, but I have that listed later in another file.

So your link is the one needed with 46 items. Later, Dreams of India will have another 27 items.

No, you don't need the older spreadsheet if you follow the latest spreadsheet. The older one merely helps by showing which sets are duplicated in compilations.

Thank you for letting me know of the missing link. It showed as a hyperlink, but the address was missing. Now, I've added the link, reuploaded to fileShare, and put that link in my first post. :smiley:

Oh good!

Thank you @ciane for answering my question and fixing the spreadsheet!

*hugs*
  • Options
    Hello! Me again! :blush:

So I'm moving along pretty well with this, but I'm a bit stuck right now.

I'm on Merge 22 and things are starting to get a bit confusing for me since the links are a bit different.

The first set in Merge 22 is Prius (Toyota Prius Family (US)? ) and I'm guessing it is this set HERE ?

I'm getting confused about this one because there isn't a link, but I also noticed that the links are dead for these Promo Sets, so I had to use the WaybackMachine. I just need to know I have the right set. (?)

Thank you!!

• Options
    It looks good to me. It's always kind of challenging with different countries having different options. I downloaded and installed the first prius set, but I wanted the twizzy, so I changed my code to UK to download just that car. Then, later, they revamped the sets, so it was a hodge podge to get just the new stuff, and I missed getting the Zoey version. ;( But, I think the latest version of either set and then the individual link to the other vehicles is the way to go, if you can do that.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It looks good to me. It's always kind of challenging with different countries having different options. I downloaded and installed the first prius set, but I wanted the twizzy, so I changed my code to UK to download just that car. Then, later, they revamped the sets, so it was a hodge podge to get just the new stuff, and I missed getting the Zoey version. ;( But, I think the latest version of either set and then the individual link to the other vehicles is the way to go, if you can do that.

Yeah, I can't because I'll confuse myself LOL, so I need to follow as closely as I can to your wonderful set up. I went to your old thread and you have a lot of links there, so I'm using that as a reference! Woohoo! lol I'm really happy to that to included the old thread in this one.

I'm now opening the links and bookmarking them as sets. 22 is done , I'm now doing 23! :smiley:

Thank you ciane!! <3:*

Edit: Should I post the links here just in case someone else is as OCD as me?
  • Options
    Feel free to post links if you like. I just couldn't see myself doing that all over again. And yay, you are almost done. Unfortunately the last couple of files take the most work and the longest time as they are all the single items.
  • Options
    Feel free to post links if you like. I just couldn't see myself doing that all over again. And yay, you are almost done. Unfortunately the last couple of files take the most work and the longest time as they are all the single items.

Oh my gosh ciane, like I don't know how you did it in the first place. I'm just thankful you did. You don't know how much I am.

Yes I'm almost done. I'm quite happy despite the fact that this is the hardest part.
  • Options
    Hi ciane!

I just want to double check.... So all the items/sets that has a file size listed next to it are included in a .ebc file merge? And the ones without the file size listed next to it you means are not in any .ebc file on your list? So we have to merge these ourselves, correct? I just want to make sure as I am going to go to each one (the ones not included in any ebc merge) and see if I own them.

Thank you! <3
  • Options
    I thought I included the file sizes for everything I could. But if there aren't any file sizes, then just kind of guess the size of the file and the room you have left in your .ebc file. Remember to make a copy of your .ebc file if there is a possibility you might you over as you don't want to have to reinstall all those little items again.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I thought I included the file sizes for everything I could. But if there aren't any file sizes, then just kind of guess the size of the file and the room you have left in your .ebc file. Remember to make a copy of your .ebc file if there is a possibility you might you over as you don't want to have to reinstall all those little items again.

Oh, I know you couldn't put the sizes for all especially if you don't own the entire store. Also it is way too much content to add the sizes for all. You've done so much just create the merges you did and saved me headache.

I'm talking about this quote here.
    By the time you get down to the individual CAS items, you'll notice that I don't have sizes for everything.
    That is because I do NOT own everything... but by this point you should be good at guessing the file sizes and avoid problems.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the items that aren't included in any of the ebc files on the list that I own. I hope I make sense.

Edit: Unless you've actually included everything from the store on the ebc merge list?
  • Options
    @ciane, I think I can explain better what I'm doing now. I'm trying to figure out which items I have that aren't in your 1-25 .ebc files. I assume you've haven't included everything in them. So I'm now trying to figure out what I have that isn't included in them.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    @Goodywood I'm pretty sure Ciane included the whole store. That's the beauty of her method, nothing left out, and nothing installed twice!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Goodywood I'm pretty sure Ciane included the whole store. That's the beauty of her method, nothing left out, and nothing installed twice!

@ZeeGee Well that is what I would like to know if there is anything left out, because some individual items in the tabs aren't included in the ciane's ebc files. I know the items/sets with the file size next to them are included in these ebc files though.

I'm now looking for the items I have to merge myself. So I just wanted to double check if the items/sets that don't have a file size listed next to it mean that they aren't included in the ebc and we have to merge these ourselves?

Maybe I'm reading the Spreadsheet wrong? The file sizes next to the links mean that is the size for that item/set on that line, it doesn't include the line below. I'm talking about the links that are in the Tabs (pWV, Comp, A-C etc) , not the "All" tab that has what each ebc files includes.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Goodywood We'll have to wait for Ciane on that one. I've never used the spreadsheet. I've only used her original list of everything in the store!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top