Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you really want to be famous IRL?

SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
So the Sims 4 Get Famous pack has been announced. It is fun to play with the idea of being famous. But in real life, would you really want to be famous? I know I wouldn't. It is hurtful to feel judged by others, and famous people are constantly being judged: on their looks, on the way they act, on their love life. Truth be told, I don't even like to be photographed, since when I was young my grandmother was always taking pictures of me without telling me first, and then she would complain about my chin being up (which at the time was considered stuck-up), my eyes being closed, or my not smiling. Even in my better photographs, I would always find something wrong about them....hair out of place, or a zit on my face. So I honestly don't understand people who are into selfies.

When you are an ordinary person, people criticize you if you are overweight, or have wrinkles, look different than they do, or are even in their way at the wrong time. When you are famous, you ARE the product/service people are purchasing, and if they are disappointed in their purchase, they are going to be nice (ok, nice is definitely not the right word), loud, and vocal with their anger. Then there are the people who didn't purchase, but are exposed to marketing that they perhaps did not want, with frustration being the result. For example, my husband and I are not fans of rap music, so we aren't real big on the rappers who produce rap music that inconsiderate rap music fans play at full volume in their cars to make sure the whole neighborhood can hear it whether they like it or not (especially if that rap music includes poor treatment of women or gang violence). That's right guys, when you blast this stuff full volume, you are being used as a marketing tool by the music industry, and some of us don't appreciate the advertising. Then there are the movies whose trailers are advertised everywhere. If the trailer or performance was forgettable, some of us simply forget the actor/actress' name, but angrily remember the director's name. Fame cuts both ways: one can be famous, or infamous. Being famous also makes you a target for tabloids that make their living by trashing others' names, the more famous the better.
I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Nope.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No, I think being famous means giving up your freedom. I'm very attached to my freedom ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,671 Member
    No, I quite pay attention to my privacy, I don't want everyone easily to know everything about me. Hunters gun always shot the birds who come out, I don't want to hold the bag for the unintentional adverse effects. I don't want to harassed by crazy fans too.
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    No...
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    No. I'm an introvert by nature and I don't want my face recognized by everyone in public, I like being able to go about my day and life as a normal person.
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    I'll be the first person to say that yeah, I wanna be famous. It's superficial, sure, but I guess in a way it helps you feel loved. There's many idols out there who say that the love and support from their fans pushes them forwards.

And I just really want to be out there and have a voice and be able to share my experiences and maybe help others out in a hard time and remind them that they're not alone.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    RilexiusRilexius Posts: 112 Member
    I would say yes only if no one knows who I am, like my name and what I look like, lol..
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    With me, there will always be something to try to make give me bad name.

Chances, are not what I take.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    It depends on what kind of fame. I wouldn't want to be a famous singer or actress but being a famous artist/writer/scientist etc. would be cool, since my fame would be more niche and I could get recognized but not to the point where I couldn't go anywhere.

(off topic, but I feel that rap gets a really bad name and you can find songs with respectful or meaningful lyrics if you take the time to look aside from what's most popular :))
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    I’ll take fortune over fame any day.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, I would love to be a famous writer. Fans of writers don't get too crazy. Don't seem like it would be the same as a famous actor/actress of musician, which I would not want that level of attention, no. But I am a writer so naturally I would love to be known for that.

Sounds like you're talking about mainstream rap, which is awful like all mainstream music. Underground rap is creative, inspiring and connects to the hardships of real life cause they are not famous and still live real lives like we do.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited October 2018
    Depends on what I was famous for. If I were a famous writer, musician (classical or maybe a composer), or artist I think I could handle it. I wouldn't want to be an actress or a pop star or anything like that in the more glitzy side of entertainment. I'd still like to be able to live a relatively quiet life. I'm a total introvert and a very private person. Maybe it's more about renown than "fame." While part of me would love to share art or music with other people, I would never want that "glamorous" type of fame that throws you into the middle of a bunch of fake people and rabid fans where you're scrutinized for every little thing you do.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    i don't think i actually wanna get famous... or just online :D
    behind a screen and a username, but being famous like singer-famous ? naaah, too much pressure.
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    No. Not cause I'd feel judged. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I have no desire to be liked and I don't even understand why someone gets upset if some randomer doesn't like them. Like, you don't like everything and everyone yourself so how do you expect everyone to like you or the things you do, you know? It's natural to dislike things. And if someone goes out of their way to express their dislike then you know they're just an idiot anyway so why would you care about an idiot's opinion on you?

Also, the fame you seem to be referring to seems to be pop/mainstream/entertainment media. There's plenty of fields to be famous in. Not all of them have to do with looks.
    If "I" had to be famous I'd like to be known as being a good cleaning company. lol I really wanna create a cleaning service comany. And I wanna be known for high quality. Just within my hometown. I want to have good workers, good quality equippment and good results. I'm too chicken to go through with it though. I've seen lousy janitors/cleaners and I don't wanna bother my head with them and their pseudoproblems that prevent them from doing a good job. But at the same time they're the reason I wanna create the company lol.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I wouldn't mind being famous for winning a huge amount in a Lottery and then I'd hire a PR person to handle the privacy issues! >:)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Simpkin wrote: »
    No. Not cause I'd feel judged. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I have no desire to be liked and I don't even understand why someone gets upset if some randomer doesn't like them. Like, you don't like everything and everyone yourself so how do you expect everyone to like you or the things you do, you know? It's natural to dislike things. And if someone goes out of their way to express their dislike then you know they're just an plum anyway so why would you care about an plum's opinion on you?

Also, the fame you seem to be referring to seems to be pop/mainstream/entertainment media. There's plenty of fields to be famous in. Not all of them have to do with looks.
    If "I" had to be famous I'd like to be known as being a good cleaning company. lol I really wanna create a cleaning service comany. And I wanna be known for high quality. Just within my hometown. I want to have good workers, good quality equippment and good results. I'm too chicken to go through with it though. I've seen lousy janitors/cleaners and I don't wanna bother my head with them and their pseudoproblems that prevent them from doing a good job. But at the same time they're the reason I wanna create the company lol.

I have two clients who run cleaning companies. One has an employee, the other one runs the whole show by herself. Before you start up a new business however, make sure you are either top notch at recordkeeping yourself, or hire a bookkeeper. Also, make sure you have access to good legal advice, and get a bond to cover potential liability. Finally, look into the licensing and tax requirements, and make sure you have enough start-up funding. If you don't hire anyone to help you, expect to put in a LOT of extra hours.

In my mind, having a good reputation, and being famous, are two very different things. I absolutely want to have a very good reputation. But I don't want to be nationally or internationally famous. When I was young, I wanted to be a famous author. But there is a lot of pressure to produce if you are a famous writer or painter, and pressure and the creative process just don't go well together for me. On the other hand, if I need to produce numbers under pressure, I can do that.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind being famous for winning a huge amount in a Lottery and then I'd hire a PR person to handle the privacy issues! >:)

Just be sure to hire a tax accountant too, and pay your estimated taxes :smiley: and keep proof of your gambling losses.
  • Options
    Simpkin wrote: »
    No. Not cause I'd feel judged. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I have no desire to be liked and I don't even understand why someone gets upset if some randomer doesn't like them. Like, you don't like everything and everyone yourself so how do you expect everyone to like you or the things you do, you know? It's natural to dislike things. And if someone goes out of their way to express their dislike then you know they're just an plum anyway so why would you care about an plum's opinion on you?

I have two clients who run cleaning companies. One has an employee, the other one runs the whole show by herself. Before you start up a new business however, make sure you are either top notch at recordkeeping yourself, or hire a bookkeeper. Also, make sure you have access to good legal advice, and get a bond to cover potential liability. Finally, look into the licensing and tax requirements, and make sure you have enough start-up funding. If you don't hire anyone to help you, expect to put in a LOT of extra hours.

In my mind, having a good reputation, and being famous, are two very different things. I absolutely want to have a very good reputation. But I don't want to be nationally or internationally famous. When I was young, I wanted to be a famous author. But there is a lot of pressure to produce if you are a famous writer or painter, and pressure and the creative process just don't go well together for me. On the other hand, if I need to produce numbers under pressure, I can do that.

Hey thanks. I wasn't just gonna start doing it out of nowhere. I met a woman through work who's an entrepreneur. I was gonna ask her for some pointers and was gonna meet some officials to ask about it too. I like cleaning myself but I couldn't run around alone everywhere myself, like you said. I dunno, maybe later in life. In my 40s :) I only got the idea this year so, I'm a lingerer and a dreamer, I have time.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited October 2018
    Simburian wrote: »

Just be sure to hire a tax accountant too, and pay your estimated taxes :smiley: and keep proof of your gambling losses.

Ah, that's the problem. I'll get all paranoid and twisted, thinking someone is out to steal my money. :'(

Winning money = no tax but you can't even give money to your nearest and dearest in the UK without the taxman brought in to take some of it. I could always buy multiple shares in EA and assert some influence for Sims 4 though. B)
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims also about the second paragraph in your reply to me - I completely agree. Like it's fun if you choose to write under certain circumstances, maybe some kinda structure or something, but you can't actually force creativity. Yeah you can write something but it hardly ever comes out any good. I guess it depends on what you write and for who cause some buzzwords for nowadays' youth are enough, no depth or elaboration needed.
    I also cringe hard when I see songwriters for example say they wanna write music their fans can relate to and stuff. I could never do it. I'd write whatever came out and would not care about anyone else. Cause writing is so personal and if you write it so that other people could relate then it's just business. Cause if people relate, the like and buy. That's like the mainstream. I love it when people write exclusively about themselves or about their feelings and that shines through the writing and then you just feel the lyrics. You don't even have to relate. Or you can't relate but recognise the feeling.
    Anyway... I used to be quite a good writer but in high school we got this stupid teacher who bullied everyone and he totally stumped my creativity. The first ever essays we wrote with him, just for him to see ou level, he was so impressed with mine and said mine was the only good one out of everyone else's. But later when he became extra constrictive I only got negative grades. How the hell is someone like that a literature teacher!?
  • Options
    ameliaandcynthiaameliaandcynthia Posts: 42 Member
    No, I am a private person... I hate pictures of myself, and people being too nosey about my personal life.
  • Options
    Hatchet_Face_PrideHatchet_Face_Pride Posts: 2,096 Member
    I'm with @Sigzy05 . Nope.
    Also agree with @ameliaandcynthia. Just to have everyone tell you you're pretty and be the it-person of the moment is SO not worth all the rest. Not even for all of the paydays you'd get off it.
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Shinzen wrote: »
    I'll be the first person to say that yeah, I wanna be famous. It's superficial, sure, but I guess in a way it helps you feel loved. There's many idols out there who say that the love and support from their fans pushes them forwards.

And I just really want to be out there and have a voice and be able to share my experiences and maybe help others out in a hard time and remind them that they're not alone.

Do you ever write your own music? I admire people who do. Me, I just sing everyone else's music...and it tends to sound like this when I do...
    singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b8b59cab1 (PS...hit the A to see the lyrics) - by the way, that song was almost too low for my range.
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    No, not really. I wouldn't mind being a famous author, but I wouldn't want all the trappings that go with it. I don't use any social media and I wouldn't want to start just for my job. I value my privacy.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻