Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Missing Emotion

Just an observation, but I've noticed an oddly missing emotional state. Fear. There's a Decoration item called "Don't Fear the Reagnomper" though, for some reason, when the Grim Reaper shows up, no one seems afraid of him. When a Sim discovers a disguised Alien, they react, but not with fear. A fire breaks out, a seeming panic ensues, but no fear emotion. There are a number of situations where fear would be the appropriate, or at least the expected, response, but it simply doesn't exist.
9ndehwc.png

Comments

• Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    I've read this sentiment from other players and would have to say I agree
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    That's odd isn't it? As fear is one of the most powerful emotion.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    I haven't noticed that until now and it does seem weird that they'd allow the pets to fear, but not the sims.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    My Sims get a moodlet expressing their 'fear' of thunderstorms, but they don't cower or in any manner show said fear.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm still hoping we get more elements of fear in the game. We do have interactions that can mimic it already with the shock, run away and the one where they jump around holding their face. I doubt they would add a new emotion but this would be the one I'd want if it's added in.
    If all else fails at the end of the series I hope a modder takes this project in hand and works it in somehow. Sounds like a huge overhaul though.. no clue what it would entail to pull off.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Never thought about it but now that you mention it , it's rather odd not to have fear included. Fear of dogs , fear of cats, would be things the sims could get over with in time. Maybe it's yet to be added.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Omg, this has been my biggest complaint for a few years now. It's so weird, isn't it? How did Fear get left out of a Sims game that focuses mainly on emotions?

I've been requesting a lot for the devs to put the time in to add Fear, but they did say once that it would be a huge undertaking to add it. Not impossible, mind you, but a lot of time and work. In the end though, I really think it would be worth it. Things just aren't right without proper fear. I'm also hoping that they expand on it and do an entire phobia system so we can choose specific things that our Sims are afraid of, like spiders, bees, thunder, vampires/ghosts/aliens, failure, children turning out bad, etc. I think if something like that were put into place, it would really fill in the gap and make the Sims more realistic and engaging as well.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    It's something that I've noticed every since Pixar's Inside Out. I don't know if it can be added to Sims 4 but if the emotion system carries on to Sims 5 (whenever that's going to happen), I hope fear will be added.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I want fear
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    They have so many emotional states - Happy, Sad, Angry, Flirty, Focused, Embarrassed, Tense, Playful, etc. - almost everything you could think of... except Afraid. It's such an important emotion, one essential to the survival of any species, it really ought to be fully represented, not just superficially simulated.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Hear hear, give us fear.
  • Options
    It occurred to me... Fear in the Sims isn't even a new concept. The Sims 2 for GameCube had Fears in opposition to Wants. Mostly, it was small day-to-day fears and they would change often. Fear of a fire breaking out, missing work, romantic rejection, a burglar, etc. Somehow, though, the idea was never incorporated into the emotion set for 4. I like the idea mentioned earlier of the option to give Sims one or more Phobias and even the possibility of letting them overcome certain fears (like a Sim who befriends the Grim Reaper would no longer be afraid of him, since they have a close relationship.) Certain Traits could even be applied to deal with Fear. Fearless, Courageous, Nihilistic, etc. You could use them to make adrenaline junkies, emo/goth Sims, and so on.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    fh4simsfh4sims Posts: 16 Member
    I think that Fear has been merged into Tense mood though they are actually distinct. If they ever added Fear, they'd probably change several aspects or environments that are already set into Tense mood. I wonder what color Fear would be. Purple is already taken by Dazed and Focused mood.
  • Options
    I would guess some shade of red. Many mood colours repeat with variations in hue and there's already an existing association, both in RL and in past Sims games, between red and fear. Red is used in The Sims 4 only for Anger as far as I can recall, making it one of the few non-repeating colours thus far. It would make sense on multiple levels.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If Dazed hadn't been light purple, I would say fear should be that.

Our pets can be afraid, and they're a member of our household.

However I maintain that making fear its own emotion would need a lot of work.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I agree that there should be a fear emotion. Even pets do not currently have fear as an emotion. We are told that they have “fears”, but whenever they are supposedly experiencing fear they are actually tense (same as our sims when they are supposedly afraid of a thunderstorm). I know this because ghosts change colour to reflect their emotions and ghost pets get the orange “tense” colour whenever they are meant to be scared of something.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I've got a bit of thing about toddlers being 'sad' and older Sims being 'tense' when 'scared' is the proper emotion. I agree, though, that it would be fairly difficult to implement - you would need to change the moodlets generated by dozens of interactions and circumstances, and then tune them appropriately.

We've seen that tuning can be a bit of a challenge with Sims laughing themselves to death over clean laundry or going into a two-day funk over the death of a relative they've never met. I don't mean that sarcastically - in some cases, other moodlets will mask the negative moodlet. I never had a laundry death, and the mourning moodlet seems to work well for the adult in my house - she is occasionally 'very sad', but perks up when she picks up some positive moodlets. That's fairly realistic, really. It doesn't work as well for kids and especially toddlers because they don't get some of the adult buffs, and go into a funk for hours.

You don't want to under-tune, either, because then the moodlet is overwhelmed. It wouldn't make sense for a Sim to go back and forth between being 'happy' and 'scared' - if they're scared, they should be scared until the scary thing goes away, or, in the case of kids and tots, a parent comforts them. At the same time, you don't want your adult Sims scared to death because the moodlet is too powerful.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    It looks like as of now, it is lumped in with uncomfortable and tense. When an earthquake occurs, they get an uncomfortable or tense moodlet. I think it would be appropriate to add in a fear emotion.
  • Options
    When the Carefree Trait is in effect things get even more out of whack. The times a Tense Moodlet would come up, they end up Angry, or Sad, or some other nonsense that's even farther removed from what they ought to be feeling. That said, since emotions can already overwrite each other in this way, substituting one emotion when another is blocked, it may not be as hard to patch in Fear as some may suppose. It would just add another layer to the hierarchy. During a thunderstorm, they might feel afraid, but if they have a trait that blocks or changes Fear, they might become Tense, then with Carefree, it might sub in something else as it already does.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited September 2018
    Fear is the biggest emotion that decides the road of our life each second. The negative form.. the positive form comes from faith which might not be correctly translated into an emotion, but oh well:

It SHOULD be in the game.
  • Options
    In the console Sims 2, Fears were in red while wants were... I think green (except the mandatory Gold Wants). Red is also associated in real life with frightful things like bloodshed (and by extension, death), monsters (red glowing eyes), devils and demons, fire, etc. A dark or muted shade of red, distinct from the one used for Anger, could be a good option. Most of the other colours have been repeated. Blue (Sad, Inspired & Confident), Pink (Playful & Flirty), Purple (Focused & Dazed), Yellow (Energized & Embarrassed),. I think Green may be used for something other than Happy, but I forget. As far as I'm fairly certain, only Orange (Tense) and Red (Angry) haven't been used more than once.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    fh4simsfh4sims Posts: 16 Member
    How about Uncomfortable? It falls to the red shade, right?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    As a matter of fact, it's Orange, so that's one more repeated. I was able to check to be certain because one of my household, thanks to 🐸🐸🐸🐸, is Uncomfortable due to being on her... "time of the month". Definitely Orange. Gray is also repeated as well (Fine & Bored).
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Energized is chartreuse I thought, but could be considered either on the green or yellow side depending on who you asked.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Black would make for an interesting UI color if fear ever gets added.