I'm posting this a few days early in case anyone has never heard of it before and might like to prepare for it and begin on January 1st. Or if anyone perhaps has questions on something in the rules that is not clear.*Note
- For those who are currently doing the challenge and intend to do it again in 2022, there are a few changes to the rules.
* * * * * * *
Have you ever admired those who start a New Year doing a one photo per day contest, for example on DeviantArt? I had an idea pop into my head on New Years Eve 2020 for a challenge similar to those, only using TS4 screenshots. I put together something I hoped would work and called it the One Month One World One Year
Challenge. I intended to post one photo of my Sim's progress during a gaming session per real life day with a short text summary and started on January 1, 2021.
Along the way, others joined me with some very welcomed suggestions for improvements. Inevitably, the challenge blossomed into also telling stories of our challenge Sim's life. This wasn't my original intention for the challenge, but I loved every minute of it! It helped us to get to know our Sims better than we might've otherwise.
However, this year, I'd like to try to do the challenge closer to as originally intended, without a very long story every day including 20+ screenshots. I probably will still tell a story, but if I do, I will keep it shorter with a maximum of 5-10 screenshots. It could blossom into more again, but that's my goal anyway. Anyone else who tries the challenge is welcome to do the same.Basic Rules/Guidelines:
Challenge Worlds, Base Game & Other Packs Aspirations List:
- One Photo post Per Real Life Day on the forum in this thread with a short text summary.
- One World per Real Life month - See schedule of Worlds in spoiler below
- Your challenge Sim MUST be a Teen to officially begin this challenge and post on the thread.
- After three Real Life months have passed, your Sim will age up to Young Adult for four months, Adult for four months and finally, age up to an Elder for December. Timeline posted in spoiler below. Optional: How long your Sim stays in each life stage, Teen-Elder, is at your own discretion. However, please note they are required to be at least a young adult to attend Uni in Britechester.
- Begin Rags to Riches style on an empty lot with 0 simoleans.
- Aging off Optional: May use the long lifespan.
- All worlds except the current world are off limits for travel. This includes attending festivals. Only worlds previously played are allowed for travel.
- Newcrest is a 'neutral' world. Venues may be placed there for your Sim to use regardless of their current world residence. Optional: Newcrest must only be used to replace a pack you don't own.
- Sims may take a vacation to Granite Falls, Selvadorada or Batuu if they can afford it. Rental lots in residential worlds are off limits unless your Sim has previously lived there.
- Aspirations released with a world must be fulfilled first. May choose a base game or other pack not in the challenge aspiration to complete afterward.
- Willow Creek, Oasis Springs, Newcrest and Magnolia Promenade may be used in substitution for worlds listed in the challenge for packs you may not own. In that event, choose one or two base game or other packs not in the challenge aspirations to complete per world.
- Your Sim may marry and/or have children. Aging up children is at your discretion. If you plan to continue the challenge next year using an heir from this year's challenge, make sure your 'heir' is at least a teen before the end of the year.
- School attendance is at your own discretion. May cheat for grades or buy school projects from debug to increase their grade. This is the only time cheating is allowed.
- The beginning of each new month/world must start Rags to Riches style. Optional: Your Sim may keep personal possessions, sell the rest and bulldoze the house. They may use simoleans from this sale and accumulated household funds to build or download a house from the Gallery.
- If your Sim dies, it's game over. Optional: You may bring them back to life and continue by any means possible.
- Occult states and Celebrity statuses must be removed when progressing to the next month/world. Optional: May keep these lifestates, but it will make the challenge easier to complete. For my own gameplay this year, I will remove them.
- If a new world is released with a new pack at any time during 2022, you have the option to swap the new world with another prior released world.
- Give yourself a break if any days are missed due to internet outages, vacations/holidays, real life work/responsibilities or sickness. Just try to post one photo for every missed real life day the next day possible.
- Extra photos may be posted here in a spoiler along with your daily post pic and short text summary. Please try to limit them to a maximum of 20 screenshots per post.
- May use Satisfaction points to buy reward traits. Optional: Money tree seeds are not allowed.
- Lottery tickets are not allowed for purchase. Optional: Your Sim may buy them, but my Sim will not buy lottery tickets to give myself more of a challenge.
- Beginning season and the length of days is your choice.
- May participate in all default Holidays, modify, delete and/or add your own.
- Other participants may post their Daily posts in this thread, or just the required Daily post pic with a link to your preferred Blog site with additional story text/screenshots.
- Mod friendly challenge! However, please use discretion when using them. Mods that would be considered cheating to fulfill an aspiration in a vanilla game, should not be used.
Challenge Packs Aspirations
Worlds/Packs and Age Up Timeline:
January - Extreme Sport Enthusiast, Mt. Komorebi SightSeer
February - Leader of the Pack
March - Spellcraft & Sorcery, Purveyor of Potions
April - Academic
May - StrangerVille Mystery
June - Master Actor/Actress, World Famous Celebrity
July - Master Maker, Eco Innovator
August - Vampire Family, Master Vampire, Good Vampire
September - Beach Life
October - City Native
November - Friend of the Animals
December - Country Caretaker
Base Game Aspirations
Best Selling Author
Big Happy Family
Chief of Mischief
Friend of the World
Grilled Cheese (Hidden)
Other Packs Aspirations
Archeology Scholar (Jungle Adventure GP)
Fabulously Filthy (Bust the Dust Kit)
Galactic Privateer (Journey to Batuu GP)
Hope VS Order (Journey to Batuu GP)
Inner Peace (Spa Day GP)
Jungle Explorer (Jungle Adventure GP)
Lord/Lady of the Knits (Nifty Knitting SP)
Outdoor Enthusiast (Outdoor Retreat GP)
Perfectly Pristine (Bust the Dust Kit)
Self-Care Specialist (Spa Day GP)
Super Parent (Parenthood GP)
Zen Guru (Spa Day GP)
Beginning Age: Teen
Challenge End Date: December 31, 2022Links to My Daily Posts by Month:JANUARY
Links to other Simmers Day 1 Challenge Post and Blogs:@Ellupelluellu
January - Mt. Komorebi (Snowy Escape)
February - Windenburg (Get Together)
March - Glimmerbrook (Realm of Magic)
April 1st: Age up to Young Adult
April - Britechester (Discover University)
May - StrangerVille (StrangerVille)
June - Del Sol Valley (Get Famous)
July - Evergreen Harbor (Eco Living)
August 1st: Age up to Adult
August - Forgotten Hollow (Vampires)
September - Sulani (Island Living)
October - San Myshuno (City Living)
November - Brindleton Bay (Cats & Dogs)
December 1st: Age up to Elder
December - Henford-on-Bagley (Cottage Living)
with Sean Medicci@afai1261
with Aaron Winterson@Llandros2012
with Aldo Holloway@permanentrose
with Robin Keyes@LegacySims2017
with Dash Joseph (DJ) Faireborn@Skeilah
with Bryon Ellison
with Mackenzie McGraw
with Selena Lilly@miss_eulenauge
with Lucy Aldrich@SoulGal7
with Dylan Healy@RememberJoy
with Adam Strong@Carebear92
with Savanah Schulz@Shadami
with Velma Pagan
with Krista ShelbyGallery Links to Current Challenge Sims:
Cale Conrad by @Karababy52
- Please see information on how to download him under the spoiler. Thank you!
You'll need to check the box for 'Include Custom Content' in order to download and see him on the Gallery. I would give a link, but I don't know how to get one for a Sim with CC. Here's a list of his CC if you'd like to have him exactly as created. He should look mostly the same without the CC.
Origin ID: Karababy52
List of CC & Other:
Eyes - PS_Eyes_N155_DefaultReplacement.package (Look exactly like Maxis default except no shine.)
Body hair - LUUMIA_BodyHairV5PLUS_Merged.package
Eyelashes - [Kijikoleyelash_VF_version2.package
Hair - simstrouble_UnisexHair_Marco.package (There are similar hairstyles in the Snowy Escape EP and others.)
Eye Scar - From the Get Famous EP
(Please see Day 1
post for a list of CC used on this Sim)Dylan Healy
by @SoulGal7Aaron Winterson
(Please see Day 1
post for a list of CC used on this Sim)Aldo Holloway
by @Llandros2012Selena Lilly
Dash Joseph Faireborn by @LegacySims2017
(Please see Day 1
post for download info.)Lucy Aldrich & Laika
Adam Strong by @RememberJoy
(Search Origin ID: Rememberjoy on the in-game Gallery with the 'include custom content' box checked to download)Bryon Ellison
Mackenzie McGraw by @KateLynne
(Search Origin ID: KateLynne on the in-game Gallery with the 'include custom content' box checked to download) Please see this
post for a list of CC used on this Sim.Savannah Schulz
by @Carebear92Velma Pagan
by @ShadamiKrista Shelby
WELCOME to anyone new trying this challenge and THANK YOU to those continuing from last year with a new teen this year. Good luck everyone! Have fun!
Happy New Year and Happy Simming!
* * * * * *
Here's my Sim for the challenge.
Cale Conrad - TeenJanuary: Day 1
Hot Headed, Mean, Bonus Trait - High MetabolismBeginning Aspiration(s):
Extreme Sports Enthusiast, Mt. Komorebi SightseerWorld:
5-6-1 ShinringokuHousehold Funds:
Cale was only 3 years old when his Father, Lucas Conrad, died suddenly from a brain tumor. He had been a very stern, old-fashioned man and ruled the roost with an iron fist. His Mother, Lisa Conrad, hadn't been allowed to work, a woman's place is in the home after all. At least to his Father's reasoning. Consequently, she had minimal skills of her own other than raising Cale, keeping their home immaculate and adhering to a rigid schedule set down by her husband.
Finding herself free to do whatever she wanted for the first time since marriage, Lisa unwisely went on a wild spending spree with the modest life insurance check she'd received from her husband's policy. She and Cale lived the high life for awhile, but soon the money was gone with nothing left to pay the bills. Desperate, with the wolf knocking at the door, Lisa remarried and soon learned her new husband, Lance Lamont, was worse than the first. He had a mean streak. To her horror, Cale began to emulate the man, latching on to the only Father figure he would ever remember.
She stayed with him though feeling she had no other choice. Living with Lucas, she had learned how to be submissive to a dominant male. An unhealthy, but familiar pattern developed in Lisa and Cale's life. Over the years, Cale grew to be hot-headed and mean like his step-Father. Lance and Cale would often fight, just for fun. Not knowing any better, he worshiped the man he called Dad. One fateful day all that would change.
When Cale was 15, he came home from school hearing shouts of anger coming from inside their house. He ran inside and found Lance standing over his Mother screaming at her about a roast she had burnt. She had her head bowed crying, but turned to look at Cale when he walked through the door. When he saw what Lance had done to her face, Cale rushed the man he called Dad and tackled him to the floor. Knowing better to get in the way, Lisa ran to the bedroom and locked herself in a walk-in closet.
Cale and Lance struggled and fought, knocking over the kitchen table set for dinner and making a wreck of the room Lisa had so carefully kept immaculate for her family. The fight was somewhat even since Cale liked to keep himself fit and in fighting condition lifting weights in an effort to one day best Lance in their almost daily scuffles. At one point the two combatants fell through the front door left open by Cale and the fight continued on the front lawn.
Unbeknownst to them, they had knocked the still burning roast from the stove top. It had ended up too close to the pretty gingham curtains Lisa had hung on a window behind the counter and caught them on fire. The flames quickly spread out of control. Outside Lance landed a fierce blow to Cale's face leaving him flat on his back unconscious with a deep cut above and below his left eye.
When he woke, dizzy and dazed, the house was now fully engulfed with his step-Dad nowhere in sight. Cale heard screaming from inside the house and realized his Mother was still in there. He ran, stumbling and falling toward the house intending to save her, but it was too late. The heat from the fire was just too intense. Falling to his knees, Cale covered his face in anguish and wept as the sound of sirens from emergency vehicles approached from a distance.
Scared, still somewhat dazed and in pain from the cut and mild concussion he was suffering, Cale ran away from the burning building into the woods behind their house. He'd heard horror stories of the foster care system and wasn't about to let anyone take him away to live with strangers. The authorities searched for Cale, but were never able to find him. He'd evaded them and was long gone. Cale's story begins several weeks later after he'd made his way to Mt. Komorebi, a place far, far away from his hometown.