Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you look to see how a kid will look when they are older?

MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
I know some do and some people, like me, like to wait and be surprised. Since I am playing a legacy, I always want the best looking to be the heir and ha e to always wait until they age up to YA to decide. I'm not sure why I do that to myself when I could just easily go into CAS and see early on so I could plan accordingly. I am my own worst enemy. Lol
The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

Do you look to see how a kid will look when they are older? 90 votes

Take a peek
34%
Rflong7Amphoranolurkdreamerz13MikezumiJoAnne65SimplyJenGabbyGirlJstargurukorsetigazorInfraGreenbekkasanilikethesims30LatinaBunnySims4MagicalTalesthuggishsplicerBreazonaTinySpaceFoxtherealsunsetvalley 31 votes
Wait for the reveal
35%
alexspoom13bklienhartsimgirl1010LouisaSMCororonqueenmaybellinealanmichael1marcel21jillbgdothesmustleCary1213angeljess26lanlynmw1525CravenLestatSonata13Singer60smusicluvrdopaminedroidtnb494xxnearlyperfectx 32 votes
Depends on the game and situation
30%
ParyKATENESSSuicidalSpidersemorrillcwaddellIreneSwiftSindocatOlivesplum06Minxking_of_simcity7jordandHerenyaKay8OrangeFreezerBunny07junipertreesCharlottesmommikaplushtrap_107pinneduphairlowpolygal 27 votes

Comments

• Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I've only done it a couple of times. Generally I wait for the big reveal, and then give them new hair and clothes. Even playing a Legacy I kind of just go with who I get first. Occasionally traits and personality will win out over birth order, but hardly ever will they win over looks. :)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Take a peek
    I always look at some of the kids; I can't help myself. I pick the heirs before they're born, for storylines, and assign the traits for the career/hobbies/skills I want to play forward, so appearance doesn't have any bearing on my decision. In big families, I might not care much about the looks of the spares, so maybe I don't bother peeking unless I'm curious.

Having said that, sometimes an intervention becomes necessary. Lucky for me, NRaas enables rerolls and "play with genetics" sessions, or else I might be stuck with this YA:
    zEeRz55.jpg

For the record, he doesn't have bad genetics overall, just some unfortunate proportions. For reference, here he is gender-switched:
    y1x8Jq1.jpg

But the lesson here is it's important to find out early. That way, you can do whatever you deem necessary.
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Take a peek
    All the time.
    I like to see how they look as adults and if they don’t suit my freakishly high standards they get plastic surgery as toddlers via CAS :D
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited August 2018
    Wait for the reveal
    If you take a peek you are a lousy weasel :s The kind of kid that slithered down the stairs like a snake and cut slits in your gifts on Christmas eve to see what you were getting.

You should be ashamed.

:D

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    dragonkiwiidragonkiwii Posts: 124 Member
    Usually I don't. I just wait for the kid to grow up, and if they look really bad, of course I'll edit them. But today I was playing Sims 4 and I took a peek at how she looked as an adult, and her lips were the biggest I've ever seen on an adult sim without a mod, and her eyes were really far up, just ugh... So of course I made an edit! Don't get me started on the voice, though... I usually have the sound really low on my computer but it always annoys me when they end up with a really deep or really squeaky voice when I go to check. So it really depends on my mood, I guess?
    i like anime and stuff
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Take a peek
    I usually cannot resist and will peek.
  • Options
    Wait for the reveal
    @puzzlezaddict I have a question about the NRASS play with genetics opion. How exactly does it work? I have the mod, I just never used that specific interaction. Do You just keep rolling until you get something you like, thus completely changing the child? Do you do it while she is pregnant or the child is a baby? Always wondered.

• Options
    OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited August 2018
    Wait for the reveal
    Nope! I have been tempted to, especially since I play on such a long lifespan, but I haven't followed through with it. (Yet!)
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Take a peek
    @MKSizzle For "play with genetics," the sim just needs to have been born. (Or maybe be a toddler?) You get an interface where you can pick the genetic donors, hit the teen or YA button so you can see the kid's grown-up appearance, and then keep clicking until you get a result you like. The only unaffected characteristics are the traits.

You know what? As usual, @igazor wrote up a better description than I would be able to produce:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16331665/#Comment_16331665

"Reroll genetic seed value" is used on a pregnant mother. It rerolls the entire outcome of the pregnancy, from how many babies and their genders to looks, to traits if you don't get to pick them yourself.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Take a peek
    I always peek. Not only do I peek at my active sims but at all townies on aging up to toddler. I play for genetics so it's essential to know who will have the best genetics for my future heir. I don't always do a gender swap but I often do that as well when I am peeking :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Take a peek
    Hi, everyone. I'm igazor, and I am a lousy weasel. The kind of kid that slithered down the stairs like a snake and cut slits in my gifts on Christmas eve to see what I was getting. I should be ashamed. :D

Except that I'm not ashamed in the least. I use Play With Genetics and its sneak peeks on sims when they are toddlers and children (not usually babies although that works too) somewhat out of curiosity but usually so that I can run the re-rolls in case some horrible combination of mismatched features were to be in the works. Or, as said in that other thread, too many single-parent clones. I play so ridiculously slowly that often enough I can't even remember what I've seen on PwG by the time the sims become teens, merely that I took some action so that whatever the kids turn out to look like I would deem them to be acceptable plus or minus some wardrobe and hairstyle fixes when the time comes. This applies to both actives and inactives whom I would never play.

Sometimes I use PwG on some random sim already in-game using two sims as genetic donors who don't even have or will never have any kids together, they may not even know each other, just because suddenly I'm curious as to what their kids would look like if they did ever reproduce together. It's all just for fun and in instances like this of course I wouldn't save the results.

As for the legacy households, again actively controlled or inactives (somewhat controlled, let's say guided), my rule is first born unless there is a really good reason for them to pass on the honor, perhaps I see them living in a different world when they have grown up (Traveler mod), be disqualified for trait-related reasons, or it's pretty clear that they aren't going to have kids themselves. When one of the kids in line was adopted, I really have to pause and think about it for a long time especially if part of the point is to carry the genetics forward from the family's founders. But sometimes the adoptees can win me over and the genetic carriers end up living elsewhere and continuing the genetic line on their own within the same game. In a household with 12 kids for example, there were five disqualifications for all different reasons and number 6 was the winner.

Looks don't even enter into that particular equation. All of my sims are special (to me), whether they would impress judges at a beauty contest or not is irrelevant. :)

Disclaimer: Also irrelevant, but we didn't/don't exchange gifts on Christmas anyway as it's not our holiday so the slithering snake stuff needs some slight adjustments.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Take a peek
    I almost always take a peek. I'm just too impatient to wait for them to grow up. Especially since I make such slow progress these days lol.

Like I've had the same baby/toddler in my game for literally 2 years (and a bit)... I wouldn't have made it 2 years without a peek. Though it has been 2 years since I took a peek so... it's pretty much a surprise now anyway, my memory's not that good. Just kidding, he's the spitting image of his mom and his grandpa, I won't forget how he looks.

I also like to make adjustments based on that. Not like anything major, just like adjusting jaw widths and stuff like that if they take after the opposite gendered parent since that often doesn't transfer well, so I try to adjust it to more realistic proportions. But I prefer to do that early on instead of just changing my sims appearance later on when it's noticeable that I've done so.
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Take a peek
    I do it all the time in Sims 4 but am yet to do it in Sims 3. That said, I probably will do it in TS3 if I ever get past the first generation of all of my families *cough*
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Take a peek
    I always do. I just get so curious that I can't help it.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    Wait for the reveal
    Sigh. I broke. I peaked. I feel like I cheated. Lol

• Options
    therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    Take a peek
    I take a peek how the look like as YA Just after they are toddlers. Acctually it is a first thing I do haha.
  • Options
    LouisaSMLouisaSM Posts: 21 Member
    Wait for the reveal
    I wait for the reveal a love the surprise on their birthdays and wait from their cross-eyes lol :)
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Wait for the reveal
    Nope. I wait to see how they develop. If something needs 'fixing' I have them save up their simoleons for a trip to the plastic surgeon ;)!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If I do that then I would never age them back down lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I peek when I think I’ll be playing that couple for a while...or curiously gets me! I peeked when I had a few of my couples go ITF and get the genetic kids.
  • Options
    plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Sometimes I peek :p I like long lifespans but sometimes, my curiousity gets the better of me and then I must look!

• Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Take a peek
    I peek. Always. And usually immediately after birth, lol.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,020 Member
    Wait for the reveal
    @MKSizzle I almost never age my sims up in CAS to see what they look like.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Wait for the reveal
    It makes it more exciting when they age up to wait! Besides, I never change a sim’s features since I don’t care much about appearances.
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    I do check them, but it's usually townies' offspring and I only do it when I'm curious of how the baby will turn out given the genetics of the parents. For example in my lepacy save, Connor Frio got together with Holly Alto, first time seeing that pairing and I was really excited about their babies because them both are so cute... I was so disappointed when I saw they mostly had Holly clones... :disappointed:

I also do it when I know the parents genetics could go bad together, like too low nose with a too high mouth or when they have the profile depth slider or the under chin depth slider too high (or low I don't remember) and the kids turn out with their tongues permanently out, like this:
    SERtBUR.png
    Old pic, but the tongue is there... I always fix that, though I believe it happens mostly in Bridgeport kids and it goes away when they grow up... but it looks so weird I can't! :confounded:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr