Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Guess I'm here. I forgot about this and I just remembered.

So, I hate whining and complaining so this is kinda annoying to me but I'm going to let my feelings out anyway. Instead of crying about it, I'll just lay my thoughts out.

So, I feel like I'm giving all four of my stories my all but I'm getting nowhere. And when I say giving my all I literally mean there isn't much else I can do. Sure, I could rewrite the whole chapter several times but what good would that do? I feel like I'm just on the edge of giving up every few days and it's hard to stay motivated. I am trying with every single chapter. The story itself is progressing but I'm not feeling better about the situation.

Sorry for whining here. Just need to let it out.

Really? Wow. This surprises me because I'm reading three of your stories (haven't started WAWRMO yet), and I find so much to love in all of them. Your writing's always been good, with strong character development and evocative prose--really good dialogue, too. And I feel like it's been getting better and better, tighter and tighter, more and more developed.

Do you feel you need a short break?

Have you paused to do some self-assessment? Sometimes, I find it's useful if I stop to consider these types of questions:

-->How is this project developing me as a writer? What skills am I working on? How am I growing?

-->How is it helping me as a person? What life-themes is it helping me to explore and process?

-->How is it contributing to the richness of my life?

Sometimes, when I'm feeling empty or sort of wiped-out from writing, it's because I've been doing too much output for too long. This summer, I scaled back a lot and also tried a different approach to what I was writing, and I gave myself a lot of goof-off evenings, too, rather than writing every night. So, with that, I felt that my writing added something, rather than just depleted the well.

It seems you've been writing a lot, really passionately and thoughtfully, for quite a while now. How does the idea of a very light break sound?

And, if you do decide to do a bit of self-reflection, I'd love to hear what you come up with!

Please know that I enjoy and appreciate your stories really a lot. They always give me a lot to think about, both in terms of the stories themselves and in terms of the craft of writing.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

So, I hate whining and complaining so this is kinda annoying to me but I'm going to let my feelings out anyway. Instead of crying about it, I'll just lay my thoughts out.

So, I feel like I'm giving all four of my stories my all but I'm getting nowhere. And when I say giving my all I literally mean there isn't much else I can do. Sure, I could rewrite the whole chapter several times but what good would that do? I feel like I'm just on the edge of giving up every few days and it's hard to stay motivated. I am trying with every single chapter. The story itself is progressing but I'm not feeling better about the situation.

Really? Wow. This surprises me because I'm reading three of your stories (haven't started WAWRMO yet), and I find so much to love in all of them. Your writing's always been good, with strong character development and evocative prose--really good dialogue, too. And I feel like it's been getting better and better, tighter and tighter, more and more developed.

Do you feel you need a short break?

Have you paused to do some self-assessment? Sometimes, I find it's useful if I stop to consider these types of questions:

-->How is this project developing me as a writer? What skills am I working on? How am I growing?

-->How is it helping me as a person? What life-themes is it helping me to explore and process?

-->How is it contributing to the richness of my life?

Sometimes, when I'm feeling empty or sort of wiped-out from writing, it's because I've been doing too much output for too long. This summer, I scaled back a lot and also tried a different approach to what I was writing, and I gave myself a lot of goof-off evenings, too, rather than writing every night. So, with that, I felt that my writing added something, rather than just depleted the well.

It seems you've been writing a lot, really passionately and thoughtfully, for quite a while now. How does the idea of a very light break sound?

And, if you do decide to do a bit of self-reflection, I'd love to hear what you come up with!

Please know that I enjoy and appreciate your stories really a lot. They always give me a lot to think about, both in terms of the stories themselves and in terms of the craft of writing.

You wouldn't believe the amount of low moments of simlit happen. It happens ever so often and it's not fun because I enjoy the writing but those moments make me doubt whether I should continue. I never mention them though.

Also, I've tried to take a break but I should probably do it. :/ I won't call it a break or anything because then my brain won't stop thinking about writing. :joy: It's a weird thing. I'll think about it.

• Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

I feel that, with the number of stories you're writing and at a high quality, it's totally normal to be washed out and stressed. Writing a lot is great, but it's hard to stay motivated for long, and if it's a constant struggle I do think a break is a good idea.

I don't think you should force yourself to take a complete break if you keep thinking about writing anyway, so what about a semi-break? Cutting down the number of posts you make, and maybe spending extra time pursuing other relaxing activities. Maybe even writing other stories for fun, not posting purposes. I think it could help you slow down a little bit, changing the gears so they don't get worn out so easily.

I love your writing, but it's not great if you yourself aren't having fun. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out :)
  • Options
    Sometimes what I do when I "take a break" and then my mind ramps up (like this summer and even right now, actually) is that I tell myself I'm on a break, so that I'll relax and won't force myself to be overly disciplined, and then whey my mind ramps up, I just dive in and write. Often, I'll write in a notebook or in draft--just writing so that the words and ideas aren't pressing against my head (like I'm doing this evening, actually, when the first paragraph of my next piece kept hounding me. It's either commit it to memory, so I'll remember it when I sit down to write, or just write the dang thing!) Little goals help, too--like tonight, I'm letting myself just write the first sentence. Then that led to the first paragraph. And so on--now I'm distracting myself so I won't write more.

Then, later, when I want to turn it into something--you know, when that revision or publish mood strikes--I've got something waiting.

Another thing I do (which really doesn't help with attracting readers but totally helps me to keep the joy in the writing) is that I mix it up a lot. Like I'll try writing in a different style or different approach.

Now you already have a lot of different styles and approaches you use...

But you could try something like using the notebook or drafts to just let yourself play with and explore the ideas--to get them so that they're not pestering you--and to write with no pressure. Sometimes, that brings the fun back into it.

Please do share when you're having low moments--this goes for the lurkers, too! It's what this thread is for, and there's no need to feel badly alone when you're feeling that your writing isn't rewarding or you wonder why to keep going.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Sometimes what I do when I "take a break" and then my mind ramps up (like this summer and even right now, actually) is that I tell myself I'm on a break, so that I'll relax and won't force myself to be overly disciplined, and then whey my mind ramps up, I just dive in and write. Often, I'll write in a notebook or in draft--just writing so that the words and ideas aren't pressing against my head (like I'm doing this evening, actually, when the first paragraph of my next piece kept hounding me. It's either commit it to memory, so I'll remember it when I sit down to write, or just write the dang thing!) Little goals help, too--like tonight, I'm letting myself just write the first sentence. Then that led to the first paragraph. And so on--now I'm distracting myself so I won't write more.

Then, later, when I want to turn it into something--you know, when that revision or publish mood strikes--I've got something waiting.

Another thing I do (which really doesn't help with attracting readers but totally helps me to keep the joy in the writing) is that I mix it up a lot. Like I'll try writing in a different style or different approach.

Now you already have a lot of different styles and approaches you use...

But you could try something like using the notebook or drafts to just let yourself play with and explore the ideas--to get them so that they're not pestering you--and to write with no pressure. Sometimes, that brings the fun back into it.

Please do share when you're having low moments--this goes for the lurkers, too! It's what this thread is for, and there's no need to feel badly alone when you're feeling that your writing isn't rewarding or you wonder why to keep going.

then she comes back starts 2 stories works on one finishes contiues the other.

i started caveing. it used to be just ayden now they all know how to get me. oh with the exception of the posts about the gaines . rylans mom and stepdad. i can't type more on that because it would give it away.
  • Options

i try that now too. i think. which has had intresting results. before i come up with the real title there all named jes is gonna kill me. i know she won't but when i write i keep imaging turning into a puddle in a deskchair.
  • Options
    For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    I go into hibernation mode a lot with my writing.The joy that comes from returning to something I love keeps up my willingness to continue. Now that I've written SimLit for a year, I know I can't manage my attention span that well, so the motivation losses hardly surprise me anymore and I know to give myself time, letting myself just read good books and go for walks. Maybe, you could try giving yourself space and do other things you love while you wait for your creative feels to wake up?

*somersaults over the bench*
    Something I want to gush about!

I came forward to my parents about wanting to work in the game industry a few days back, and they took it much better than I'd thought. Now I'm redoing my course plans for the year so I can put effort in subjects that I'm going to need to pursue that. What baffles me is how quickly this all happened, what with the initiative coming from my small, indecisisive self. I'm ridiculously proud.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I feel that, with the number of stories you're writing and at a high quality, it's totally normal to be washed out and stressed. Writing a lot is great, but it's hard to stay motivated for long, and if it's a constant struggle I do think a break is a good idea.

I don't think you should force yourself to take a complete break if you keep thinking about writing anyway, so what about a semi-break? Cutting down the number of posts you make, and maybe spending extra time pursuing other relaxing activities. Maybe even writing other stories for fun, not posting purposes. I think it could help you slow down a little bit, changing the gears so they don't get worn out so easily.

I love your writing, but it's not great if you yourself aren't having fun. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out :)

It's actually not the writing I'm finding hard. That's actually the easy part! It takes me probably fourty minutes at most to write a WAWRMO chapter. It's putting all my effort into it and not really knowing if it's any good or if anyone cares.

Mostly with LL. You wouldn't know but I actually started screenshotting Sunday's LL chapter at 8 in the morning having only been awake for about 20 minutes. xD I'm naturally curious what people think and when it's just silent for so long it's hard. Makes me wonder if it's actually any good or if it was worth sitting for about an hour taking all of those pics (it's a process). Especially the latest chapters that I've been working up to for a long time. I know it's supposed to be my low drama story but it kinda developed it's own. I have plenty of story to tell but it's hard to stay motivated sometimes.

Also, I only mentioned this on tumblr but the wedding chapter took about 3 days of effort because of game bugs and me putting the game down for long periods of time because I was so fed up. (That was all despite me knowing no one was likely to read the thing.) A lot of it was my sims resetting from poses, getting up from seats and generally being a pain. I believe only the first few in that chapter are actually not posed. (With the exception of the guests who I had just sit there in the background...that was a pain in itself.)

Sorry I seem to be ranting again... :lol:

On another note, I'm up for doing another pen pal thing if anyone wants. You can have pick of a list of characters. (I have a lot but you can't have any PTLT characters unless your character lives in a similar time period..)
  • Options
    @Bugsie2016 Ah! Now I get it! I feel this way sometimes, too, especially with something I'm excited about or feel especially pleased with.

Well, I do appreciate your work and value your posts!

Also, now you've got your reading circle! As a reading circle member, I'm committed to reading the work of my circle members AND to being a supportive reader. That means: You can ask me to read anything, you can ask my feedback, you can ask me questions about what I liked most, and anything else!

So, next time you get that excitement after posting something you've put a lot of effort into (I know! I get that, too!), and then it's silent, ask in the Reading Circle, and I'll be eager to share response! :)

We've got Timezones, of course, so there might be a bit of a delay... but I'll respond!

• Options
    @Bugsie2016 Ah! Now I get it! I feel this way sometimes, too, especially with something I'm excited about or feel especially pleased with.

Also, now you've got your reading circle! As a reading circle member, I'm committed to reading the work of my circle members AND to being a supportive reader. That means: You can ask me to read anything, you can ask my feedback, you can ask me questions about what I liked most, and anything else!

So, next time you get that excitement after posting something you've put a lot of effort into (I know! I get that, too!), and then it's silent, ask in the Reading Circle, and I'll be eager to share response! :)

We've got Timezones, of course, so there might be a bit of a delay... but I'll respond!

tommow is my reading day . before wednesday i can't make sense of words. well my own i can . but i know alot of people like to put alot of words not mentioning names. so for it to make sense i start wednesday.
  • Options
    also i started super dating scweps had to wait 18 months. 18 months is the 4 dad was sick til now.
  • Options

It's been the past few LL chapters. I got really excited for revealing a certain part of the story but nothing. xD I'm feeling better about everything now so I'm going to keep writing and hope things get better. :)

My reading circle has PTLT as my story so I don't really want to bring up LL in there.
  • Options

It's actually not the writing I'm finding hard. That's actually the easy part! It takes me probably fourty minutes at most to write a WAWRMO chapter. It's putting all my effort into it and not really knowing if it's any good or if anyone cares.

Mostly with LL. You wouldn't know but I actually started screenshotting Sunday's LL chapter at 8 in the morning having only been awake for about 20 minutes. xD I'm naturally curious what people think and when it's just silent for so long it's hard. Makes me wonder if it's actually any good or if it was worth sitting for about an hour taking all of those pics (it's a process). Especially the latest chapters that I've been working up to for a long time. I know it's supposed to be my low drama story but it kinda developed it's own. I have plenty of story to tell but it's hard to stay motivated sometimes.

Also, I only mentioned this on tumblr but the wedding chapter took about 3 days of effort because of game bugs and me putting the game down for long periods of time because I was so fed up. (That was all despite me knowing no one was likely to read the thing.) A lot of it was my sims resetting from poses, getting up from seats and generally being a pain. I believe only the first few in that chapter are actually not posed. (With the exception of the guests who I had just sit there in the background...that was a pain in itself.)

On another note, I'm up for doing another pen pal thing if anyone wants. You can have pick of a list of characters. (I have a lot but you can't have any PTLT characters unless your character lives in a similar time period..)

Ah, I see. Then I'll try to express how much I like your work more often!

Lots of writers feel this way, even if we don't say it. I know I do sometimes. I have a few writing friends that feel the same. It is discouraging when people don't respond to your work, as there are two sides to a shared story- the side that writes, the side that reads. Even a little word of encouragement really goes a long way. To anyone here, lurking or otherwise- I strongly urge you to write comments, even the littlest ones, to stories you read. It doesn't have to be for every new post. It doesn't have to be for the most recent post. Just whenever you have a little time, please drop us feedback. Knowing there are people that appreciate your work is a big motivation for us to keep going. <3
  • Options

It's been the past few LL chapters. I got really excited for revealing a certain part of the story but nothing. xD I'm feeling better about everything now so I'm going to keep writing and hope things get better. :)

My reading circle has PTLT as my story so I don't really want to bring up LL in there.

As a reading circle member--not just for your circle, but for all the circles I'm in--I like following all the stories by the circle authors. Usually, when I read something by an author, I want to read everything! So, personally, I wouldn't mind if you brought up LL in the circle thread.

Those last two LL chapters were really powerful to me. You know I read on my nook, right? And so it's really awkward leaving comments. If I want to leave something light, I can do it because autocorrect will just fill in "W"--ow. "i" "re"--eally "en"--joyed "th"-is. But if I want to say something thoughtful, it will take me a very long time to type it out on my mobile device.

And also... the chapters left me thinking. It will still take me a bit to formulate my response. Your legacy is like that for me, too. Very deep, very profound, lots of layers upon layers, and it really takes me a while to process it.

The colors were amazing--I just loved the palette of your screenshots and it complemented the mood very well. I also really like the poses. I usually feel turned off by poses, but I liked these a lot. They fit.

I also liked the use of the word
    pukey

in the dialogue. I usually don't like those kind of words, but it fit that line so well, especially considering the previous chapter!

And the wedding was so gorgeous and full of emotion!

I'm also sort of on pins-and-needles waiting for what's to come next! There's so much drama! So much interpersonal tension... I'm really eager to see what comes next, and I feel like I'm sort of holding my breath, comment-wise, to see what unfolds!

Any way, really amazing work on these chapters. It's so evident you put a lot of work into them, and also, you're so good! :)

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi @Bugsie2016 I know I've been absent at the moment, but I just wanted to say your work is so good. As you know I've shown some chapters to mum who's a professional writer and she's very impressed with your command of language. I'm sorry I've not been commenting as much as I've used to and I've been behind reading your chapters. I'll try to be on top of things when I return.
  • Options

Lots of writers feel this way, even if we don't say it. I know I do sometimes. I have a few writing friends that feel the same. It is discouraging when people don't respond to your work, as there are two sides to a shared story- the side that writes, the side that reads. Even a little word of encouragement really goes a long way. To anyone here, lurking or otherwise- I strongly urge you to write comments, even the littlest ones, to stories you read. It doesn't have to be for every new post. It doesn't have to be for the most recent post. Just whenever you have a little time, please drop us feedback. Knowing there are people that appreciate your work is a big motivation for us to keep going. <3

@CathyTea I agree. However I much prefer silent readers to readers who comment with nothing pleasant to say. I'm aware it can be hard expressing how you feel in the written form and sometimes written words come out harsher than they're supposed to but please think before you comment. Once something is written, you cannot take it back.
    Sorry, this wasn't directed at you CathyTea, this was just to readers in general. :D
  • Options

As a reading circle member--not just for your circle, but for all the circles I'm in--I like following all the stories by the circle authors. Usually, when I read something by an author, I want to read everything! So, personally, I wouldn't mind if you brought up LL in the circle thread.

Those last two LL chapters were really powerful to me. You know I read on my nook, right? And so it's really awkward leaving comments. If I want to leave something light, I can do it because autocorrect will just fill in "W"--ow. "i" "re"--eally "en"--joyed "th"-is. But if I want to say something thoughtful, it will take me a very long time to type it out on my mobile device.

And also... the chapters left me thinking. It will still take me a bit to formulate my response. Your legacy is like that for me, too. Very deep, very profound, lots of layers upon layers, and it really takes me a while to process it.

The colors were amazing--I just loved the palette of your screenshots and it complemented the mood very well. I also really like the poses. I usually feel turned off by poses, but I liked these a lot. They fit.

pukey

in the dialogue. I usually don't like those kind of words, but it fit that line so well, especially considering the previous chapter!

I'm also sort of on pins-and-needles waiting for what's to come next! There's so much drama! So much interpersonal tension... I'm really eager to see what comes next, and I feel like I'm sort of holding my breath, comment-wise, to see what unfolds!

Any way, really amazing work on these chapters. It's so evident you put a lot of work into them, and also, you're so good! :)

I actually didn't know you read on your nook (whatever one of those is..I really don't know. :sweat_smile: ) These last few chapters are building towards the rest of the story. More 14 than 15 but 15 is still important. Sixteen was one I was looking forward to sharing for the conversations that happen within it.

Oh that word. I used that because I couldn't decide between nauseous and nauseated so just used that to get the point across. And now I realise Ron appears to all the cooking in that relationship (maybe he just likes cooking *shrugs*)

I can tell you next chapter we get some honeymoon time and some time with Ron's family (his dad's family not his mum and co). ;) Planning a small extra chapter where we learn how Ron and Claire because it's important at understanding them even more. I'm also not doubting there's some cute friend moments in there. (They were close friends for 2 years before they started dating.)
    Hi @Bugsie2016 I know I've been absent at the moment, but I just wanted to say your work is so good. As you know I've shown some chapters to mum who's a professional writer and she's very impressed with your command of language. I'm sorry I've not been commenting as much as I've used to and I've been behind reading your chapters. I'll try to be on top of things when I return.

Don't blame yourself. It's honestly not you. :) You know I feel this way anyway sometimes. :lol: Take whatever time you need. :)
    @CathyTea I agree. However I much prefer silent readers to readers who comment with nothing pleasant to say. I'm aware it can be hard expressing how you feel in the written form and sometimes written words come out harsher than they're supposed to but please think before you comment. Once something is written, you cannot take it back.
    Sorry, this wasn't directed at you CathyTea, this was just to readers in general. :D

I second this. I've fortunately not had any negative comments yet so that's great. Everyone is generally very positive. :) I feel for anyone who's had a badly worded or generally negative comment. :(
  • Options

pukey

I actually didn't know you read on your nook (whatever one of those is..I really don't know. :sweat_smile: ) These last few chapters are building towards the rest of the story. More 14 than 15 but 15 is still important. Sixteen was one I was looking forward to sharing for the conversations that happen within it.

Oh that word. I used that because I couldn't decide between nauseous and nauseated so just used that to get the point across. And now I realise Ron appears to all the cooking in that relationship (maybe he just likes cooking *shrugs*)

I can tell you next chapter we get some honeymoon time and some time with Ron's family (his dad's family not his mum and co). ;) Planning a small extra chapter where we learn how Ron and Claire because it's important at understanding them even more. I'm also not doubting there's some cute friend moments in there. (They were close friends for 2 years before they started dating.)

Don't blame yourself. It's honestly not you. :) You know I feel this way anyway sometimes. :lol: Take whatever time you need. :)

I second this. I've fortunately not had any negative comments yet so that's great. Everyone is generally very positive. :) I feel for anyone who's had a badly worded or generally negative comment. :(

Thanks @Bugsie2016 tbh, this is one of the reasons why I'm taking time away. I've been dealing with a lot of harassment recently and so am taking myself off. Thanks so much for being encouraging and I am 100% a big fan of your writing. :)
  • Options

she knows that . just like i know jes is upset at the direction my story took not me. and your always very sweet when you comment. :)
  • Options

she knows that . just like i know jes is upset at the direction my story took not me. and your always very sweet when you comment. :)
    Aww Thanks @friendsfan367 was just making sure. XD
  • Options
    edited August 2018

i know i do the same thing when you and i discuss you. it can be hard to read tone on the internet. so i'm always afraid i crossed some line.

but without you and a few others adrian would exsist but i'm not sure he would be with kris. oops messed up he would exsist but probably wouldn't be happy.
  • Options

I think you mean me xD

I've never had any harsh comments before. If I did, I probably would have rolled up in my bed and cried. Everyone here is so positive and caring, and I'm thankful for that.

Now this is me personally: I would be hurt by a harsh comment, yes. But I'm more hurt if I think no one is reading my writing. That I've failed to make an impact on someone. However that doesn't mean I think these comments are good, and this is not true for all writers! Please don't drop mean comments and think they will make our day! If anyone ever comments on my writing, feel free to give me honest feedback. But please, do make it constructive. Do read it over before you post.

If you do have anything positive to say- anything at all- then please comment. That's what I meant to say, really. xD
  • Options

i know i do the same thing when you and i discuss you. it can be hard to read tone on the internet. so i'm always afraid i crossed some line.

but without you and a few others adrian would exsist but i'm not sure he would be with kris. oops messed up he would exsist but probably wouldn't be happy.

Hey @friendsfan367 it's not you. You've been great. You don't need to worry about your tone. :)
  • Options

Hey @friendsfan367 it's not you. You've been great. You don't need to worry about your tone. :)

cathtea should be proud i used tone right. i don't know a lot of writing terms but she teaches me.
  • Options

I think you mean me xD

I've never had any harsh comments before. If I did, I probably would have rolled up in my bed and cried. Everyone here is so positive and caring, and I'm thankful for that.

Now this is me personally: I would be hurt by a harsh comment, yes. But I'm more hurt if I think no one is reading my writing. That I've failed to make an impact on someone. However that doesn't mean I think these comments are good, and this is not true for all writers! Please don't drop mean comments and think they will make our day! If anyone ever comments on my writing, feel free to give me honest feedback. But please, do make it constructive. Do read it over before you post.

If you do have anything positive to say- anything at all- then please comment. That's what I meant to say, really. xD

@BlackUndecimber why would you think I meant you? :joy:
    No you've been fine.
    Yeah, I don't mind constructive criticism either. It's just got to be done sensitively. Also, if you don't know what you find wrong with a piece, wait until you do. Otherwise it's not helpful. Again, not directed at you chalicen. Just in general. XD