Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaid ? Why this vote ???

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Honestly the Mermaid mod already is doing a great job of tackling a Mermaid lifestate, and probably the Sorcerer mod is on the same track.

Yeah, I checked out a video of the mermaid and fairy mods, and I really like them! :smile:

However, I feel there could be more powers given to the mermaid. In Sims 3, mermaids could summon the Kraken after all. Would love that kind of thing to return. :smiley: And maybe some water magic!

ETA: Would like more variety in the appearances of mermaids, too. Some mermaids can look creepy with blacked out eyes or no pupils and such. Maybe ear fins or webbed fingers. More tail variety. More CAS mermaid-related items and hairstyles and jewelry. Maybe some more variety in the swimming animations, too.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,213 Member
    Acourse mermaids won in that pole . The other options were linted in scope. Why I like imaginaryfriends,robots,and ,zombie s.They seem to work as extra s for a pack not tiny focus ."With a mermaid you do much more. You can have a beach world with swimming,and another world to travel underwater .You can make different types ofmermaids like vampires . Make them have different powers
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2018

Ahh, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that those who like supernaturals try to force their game play down the throats of those who want normal realistic gameplay, in which you know my opinion now.

Sorry about the misunderstandings :)

Oh, no. That was not my intention at all. Sorry if I was unclear! :/

Before, supernatural lovers were all one big, happy family. Now, it's: "My fave is more deserving to be made than yours." I don't understand it. Everyone should be pulling for as many Simmers to be happy as possible, not just the lucky few.

I, personally, have never played with supes. However, I do like the style of furniture/architecture that tends to come with those kinds of packs. :D My solution is to use mods to disable the stuff I don't want and to keep the rest. It's a good compromise, I think. I only wish that EA added official toggles, rather than waiting for mod creators to do it for them. The more options provided by the game, the happier we'll all be.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Ahh, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that those who like supernaturals try to force their game play down the throats of those who want normal realistic gameplay, in which you know my opinion now.

Sorry about the misunderstandings :)

Oh, no. That was not my intention at all. Sorry if I was unclear! :/

Before, supernatural lovers were all one big, happy family. Now, it's: "My fave is more deserving to be made than yours." I don't understand it. Everyone should be pulling for as many Simmers to be happy as possible, not just the lucky few.

I, personally, have never played with supes. However, I do like the style of furniture/architecture that tends to come with those kinds of packs. :D My solution is to use mods to disable the stuff I don't want and to keep the rest. It's a good compromise, I think. I only wish that EA added official toggles, rather than waiting for mod creators to do it for them. The more options provided by the game, the happier we'll all be.

More options/toggles? Have you seen the minimal amount of Seasons options there were? :p

I don't think they ever will give us more advanced options anytime soon, if ever.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options

More options/toggles? Have you seen the minimal amount of Seasons options there were? :p

I don't think they ever will give us more advanced options anytime soon, if ever.

Yes and that would be unfortunate. However, my opinion still stands. If a mod creator can provide a whole host of options, the persons who built the game, from the ground up, should be capable of the same or better.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    One of the things I will miss from my Sims 3 mermaids was a hilarious/weird situation when my mermaid father took his toddler daughter into the water, and then his teen son took his homework into the water as well.

If it was a glitch/bug, it was a cute (and somewhat startling) one, haha. :smiley:

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-180_zps17167a3c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-184_zps5a9862a1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-181_zps56a99049.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-186_zps0e73622e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-183_zpscbd077f7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-177_zpsdf21954f.jpg[/IMG]

To be fair, both the mermaid father and the mermaid son had the Absent Minded trait, lol...

ETA: We need Absent Minded mermaids who accidentally drown people or something, lol!
    (She/her)
  • Options
    I'm actually enamored of the pictures of the mermaid swimming with their baby. It looks so natural, as if the mermaid is teaching the baby how to be a mermaid or something.

As glitches go, that's a great one.

In my mind's eye, the mermaid boy has his homework in one of those waterproof books. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    > @Movotti said:
    > LiELF wrote: »
    >
    > Movotti wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Okay, if we're going to get merfolk, then I'd also love to have a Lovecraftian choice, like the fish people of Innsmouth, doing demonic rituals on the beach. Yeah! And I'll make a town of creepy citizens who worship them. <3
    >
    > Yes. Variety. :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And The Deep Ones :D
    > cthulhu fhtagn
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ah! R'lyeh shall rise! >:)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And that's how you get me mildly interested in the concept of merfolk.
    >
    > bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Okay, if we're going to get merfolk, then I'd also love to have a Lovecraftian choice, like the fish people of Innsmouth, doing demonic rituals on the beach. Yeah! And I'll make a town of creepy citizens who worship them. <3
    >
    > Yes. Variety. :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh, that would be great! :smiley: There needs to be the creepy types from Pirates of the Caribbean and charming mermaid sirens and such. :)
    >
    > I personally love the pretty siren ones, but my sister likes more creepier and more gothic stuff, so more variety is alway welcome. :blush:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Or that. Make it a pirate pack, with merfolk too.
    >
    > But I just wish, if it happens, that it's not tropical themed, but instead is Penzance themed. Princess Cordelia is more penzance-esqe, than she is about coconuts and palm trees.

Pirates of Penzance would make an excellent EP/GP. Just think of a pirate career!
  • Options
    Dellimaccas123Dellimaccas123 Posts: 94 Member
    lame mermaids

ekjgxd.png
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    > @Atreya33 said:
    > What I hate most about this poll, is how depressing it is for anyone who does not agree with the majority. For people who voted mermaids and witches especially, it feels they just have to wait until their favourite arrives. For people like me who would prefer werewolves or robots, it feels we have very few hopes of seeing them. Of course they are still possible, but given the limited content of each new pack, they are now unlikely to happen.
    >
    > I personally would have never put mermaids above werewolves, robots, fairies or genies. So like the original poster I don't understand how mermaids could have won. But I suppose I will just have to accept it.
    >
    > I'm just starting to dislike voting in this community. Because the laundry day vote also didn't turn out like I wanted. I still think laundry machines should never have been presented as ecological, even if they are apparently very popular. I think it is one of the better SP's content wise but just nowhere near the ecological theme which I wanted more.
    >
    > Dannydanbo wrote: »
    >
    > Polls are also a good way to skew the results to get the results you want.
    >
    > Poll #1 witches, werewolves zombies, mermaids=witches win
    >
    > Poll #2 zombies, robots, mermaids, imaginary friend=mermaids win
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree. Splitting the options in two polls, influences the result. One big poll would have been better.

A lot of "I"s in there.

I'm sure EA considers everyone when they release their packs. They just want to release what the fans want first. That doesn't mean they won't release the other things. They probably are being a lot fairer by selling different life-states in different packs to give us more choice without cramming everything into one pack which would probably mean higher priced EPs for us.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    What I hate most about this poll, is how depressing it is for anyone who does not agree with the majority. For people who voted mermaids and witches especially, it feels they just have to wait until their favourite arrives. For people like me who would prefer werewolves or robots, it feels we have very few hopes of seeing them. Of course they are still possible, but given the limited content of each new pack, they are now unlikely to happen.

I personally would have never put mermaids above werewolves, robots, fairies or genies. So like the original poster I don't understand how mermaids could have won. But I suppose I will just have to accept it.

I'm just starting to dislike voting in this community. Because the laundry day vote also didn't turn out like I wanted. I still think laundry machines should never have been presented as ecological, even if they are apparently very popular. I think it is one of the better SP's content wise but just nowhere near the ecological theme which I wanted more.

Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Polls are also a good way to skew the results to get the results you want.

Poll #1 witches, werewolves zombies, mermaids=witches win

Poll #2 zombies, robots, mermaids, imaginary friend=mermaids win

I agree. Splitting the options in two polls, influences the result. One big poll would have been better.
    I agree with this. There is this strange atmosphere only the opinion of majorities count and they make people choose between words. We haven’t got a clue what might be behind those words because we are not game developers and we are not working on Sims 4. They even changed original plans (recycling) into new ones (laundry) because of this. Developing a game has become a popularity contest. And that would be great if majorities were always right but they aren’t.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Dellimaccas123Dellimaccas123 Posts: 94 Member
    mermaids will be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 as
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,442 Member
    Toz91 wrote: »
    A lot of "I"s in there.

I'm sure EA considers everyone when they release their packs. They just want to release what the fans want first. That doesn't mean they won't release the other things. They probably are being a lot fairer by selling different life-states in different packs to give us more choice without cramming everything into one pack which would probably mean higher priced EPs for us.

I suppose your a right, a lot of "I"s in my post. But that's why a lot of people use this forum, to vent their opinion. EA is not considering everyone, that is impossible. They are considering the majority, which means there are always some people feeling left out. So in my case I just wanted to find a place for my frustration that my favourites are back in line.

And I'm not pleading for everything crammed into one pack. Looking at how well they did the vampires, the other lifestates should get the same chance. But lets be fair, with the amount of GP's released so far and the fact that most GP's are not occult, they will probably not do all in lifestates in this version of the sims. So all that is left to do, is voice our opinion to let them know there are still some people interested in those lifestates which lost the vote.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Cynna wrote: »
    I'm actually enamored of the pictures of the mermaid swimming with their baby. It looks so natural, as if the mermaid is teaching the baby how to be a mermaid or something.

As glitches go, that's a great one.

In my mind's eye, the mermaid boy has his homework in one of those waterproof books. :)

Yeah, I tend to get tons of bugs in Sims 3 and in Sims 4, especially with toddlers, for some reason, lol.

This was in Island Paradiso, and my mermaids always have to swim a long way to get to the grocery store. I was making the mermaid father go grocery shopping, but I totally forgot that he was already taking the toddler for a stroll—and then he started submerging the toddler’s stroller, and I was like, :anguished:

He’s like, “Screw it. I’m bringing the kid with me.” Lol.

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-182_zps509d9612.jpg[/IMG]

I also tried a CC mermaid tail for the toddler, but it didn’t look good at certain angles (where you can see feet sticking out). I got two good angles, at least. You can still see a bit of her foot underneath, though...

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-212_zpsffc1e0d9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah244/bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸/Screenshot-213_zps95bb1249.jpg[/IMG]

I just love, love, love the mermaids. :heart: I want them back so bad.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The point of a poll is to gauge the level of interest in all the options. If everyone votes in a poll for the option that they want, there will be different degrees of popularity. Your vote might be part of the most popular choice or the most unpopular one. That's just how it works. The Community Stuff Pack was a poll. We voted and the most popular/wanted option won and would be the direction the pack would take. Again, maybe your vote was a part of the popular vote, maybe not. I did not vote for laundry, it seemed the opposite of an ECO pack. But that's the way it goes. They will always make the most popular stuff first to please the most people. That's just good business if you want to stay in business, otherwise, the company folds and no one gets anything.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    The point of a poll is to gauge the level of interest in all the options. If everyone votes in a poll for the option that they want, there will be different degrees of popularity. Your vote might be part of the most popular choice or the most unpopular one. That's just how it works. The Community Stuff Pack was a poll. We voted and the most popular/wanted option won and would be the direction the pack would take. Again, maybe your vote was a part of the popular vote, maybe not. I did not vote for laundry, it seemed the opposite of an ECO pack. But that's the way it goes. They will always make the most popular stuff first to please the most people. That's just good business if you want to stay in business, otherwise, the company folds and no one gets anything.

Yeah, people do polls all of the time for various things. Pychology and sociology studies use polls and data. Other businesses do polls or surveys. And so on.

It’s to help direct on when to do something and in what areas to use or distribute resources.

It’s just a fact of life.

With the internet being readily available for many people, and with social media and sharing sites (YouTube, Twitch, etc) being popular, there is a lot of people communicating more than ever before.

And because simmers are a diverse group, many voices are speaking out to be heard. Some simmers’ playstyles are bound to clash as well, since there are so many ways to play.

I think the reason people get worried or upset, is that they want to keep their playstyle and/or are worried about the limited resource use of the devs. Would they be able to do everything before the end of the game’s lifespan (however long it is)? Would they spend more resources on one thing over another? Would the thing be sloppily done and some people have to get mods for it? And so on.

It’s human nature, and realistically, there are limited resources. It is what it is.

ETA: Regardless of people’s reasons for voting, I’m glad the devs can see interest for mermaids and consider perhaps using resources to make them in the far future....
    (She/her)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Truly, I would not have picked mermaids. Witches, then werewolves, then fairies and, maybe, then mermaids. But, after reading what others would like and adding my own two cents, I can see where mermaids could be fun if they are treated like vampires and we can create any type or look of mermaid that we want. Making two looks in CAS.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    It would be very, very sad if being able to swim in oceans or lakes only came in the Mermaid pack. Be careful how you vote for things. I wouldn't at all be interested in mermaids. But would really want the ability to swim in oceans back in TS4. However, wouldn't it be a pain for me , others, if I buy this pack then come on here and fuss about precious mermaids every day, just because I think they are lame, and say well I bought the pack for the universal swimming ability :p ....that wouldn't even be fair to those who like mermaids and would have to put up with my complaining about them though I bought the pack dedicated to them only to get the swimming features for all Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited August 2018
    Mermaids have to be released alongside a world with swimable oceans. Otherwise mermaids wouldn't make sense. (Other than swimming in pools, hot tubs or bath tubs)
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Mermaids have to be released alongside a world with swimable oceans. Otherwise mermaids wouldn't make sense. (Other than swimming in pools, hot tubs or bath tubs)

Hopefully that comes in a base game patch. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Acourse mermaids won in that pole . The other options were linted in scope. Why I like imaginaryfriends,robots,and ,zombie s.They seem to work as extra s for a pack not tiny focus ."With a mermaid you do much more. You can have a beach world with swimming,and another world to travel underwater .You can make different types ofmermaids like vampires . Make them have different powers

I went for robots because with the rise of home automation ("smart homes") it makes sense. I liked the robot inventing in ITF and combining different "chips" to get the type of robot I wanted for a particular task. To me, mermaids would be limited to a vacation world where you can swim in the ocean -- they wouldn't really work in the homeworlds. Vampires are at their best in Forgotten Hollow (especially if you install a mod that keeps FH forever dark so they can go out there at least), but you can still see them in all the other worlds. Not so with mermaids -- unless you can make a special drink (Ariel Tonic) that gives mermaids permanent legs.

IF they can give mermaids some darker tendencies they could work great. Maybe, if you have Seasons, they can change weather without the need of a weather machine. Or cause a whirlpool that produces rare treasures, but also has a chance of drowning Sims in the area.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I love mermaids, ocean or no ocean. (But I would love to have the oceans!!!!)

We can make big pools/lakes and mermaids can transform into two-legged forms to walk around.

I love mermaids for who they are and their legends and myths and aesthetics and potential for magic powers, not just for the ocean-swimming.

So I’m always voting for the mermaids, regardless.

If people buy a pack with mermaids, then they get mermaids unless they mod them out, use cheats, or if the Sims team includes a toggle (unlikely, since they haven’t done so for vampires).

So, I would have no sympathy for people who use the mermaids just for ocean swimming and then complain about mermaids.

However!!! I really, really doubt that ocean swimming (if there is any ocean swimming) is going to be exclusive to just a mermaid pack. That’s not fair to people who just want the ocean swimming!

I think ocean swimming is either going to be a base game update, or there is going to be added in a new world just for ocean swimming—and perhaps providing a deep ocean lot type in the base game.

(Like Island Paradise introducing the Diving Lot types and getting the option to put them in other places with some workarounds. But I hope it would be a base game patch for everybody.)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    KateEmeraldKateEmerald Posts: 240 Member
    I am sure if wer were got to have mermaids there would be a world be released with them that offers opportunities to swim and live inside the water. Probably much like Island Paradise for The Sims 3 but just reduced on one world only. I would be happy with that, I am living for beaches and water and mermaids would be such a fun and cute addition. I would love if they could be creepy as well!
  • Options
    HarlowandMeHarlowandMe Posts: 231 Member
    The mermaid life state is the one I want the most:)) I am hoping for open water and a under water livable world. With aquatic pets. I want the mermaid life state but I also want it as advanced as vampires with a variety of folklore and powers. Going from the more siren type to more nice mermaid types, and octopus/cecilia mermaid. Were you can get your singing skill up to put spells and lure other sims. And maybe if you start as a mermaid you can gain enough points in the power system to turn human under certain conditions. Or become a sea witch, or have a certain strength without water for so long before it is to late and you turn to seafoam. Or maybe you can do challenges where you can be human for 3 days, and try to have a sim fall in love with you. If you are a sea witch you can make deals and turn sims into mermaids or mermaids into normal sims, and I would love to be able to have huge aquarium options that fish you catch can be swim-able to live in, and for your mermaid sims to be able to swim in if they want to. Just some fun idea's:)))
  • Options
    I love mermaids, ocean or no ocean. (But I would love to have the oceans!!!!)

We can make big pools/lakes and mermaids can transform into two-legged forms to walk around.

I love mermaids for who they are and their legends and myths and aesthetics and potential for magic powers, not just for the ocean-swimming.

So I’m always voting for the mermaids, regardless.

If people buy a pack with mermaids, then they get mermaids unless they mod them out, use cheats, or if the Sims team includes a toggle (unlikely, since they haven’t done so for vampires).

So, I would have no sympathy for people who use the mermaids just for ocean swimming and then complain about mermaids.

However!!! I really, really doubt that ocean swimming (if there is any ocean swimming) is going to be exclusive to just a mermaid pack. That’s not fair to people who just want the ocean swimming!

I think ocean swimming is either going to be a base game update, or there is going to be added in a new world just for ocean swimming—and perhaps providing a deep ocean lot type in the base game.

(Like Island Paradise introducing the Diving Lot types and getting the option to put them in other places with some workarounds. But I hope it would be a base game patch for everybody.)

But that is exactly what happened when people bought Vampires for the clothes and objects. I owe them some favors. >:):p Nah, I wouldn't do that, I would skip it.

I'm not so sure ocean swiming would be a base game update, since they shamefully created a stuff pack for pets that was absolutely useless to me since I don't have C&D. First time ever they created a pack the majority couldn't use and had to buy one to use the other for the most part.