May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    lol well it seems everyone has made their way back over here. I got some reading to catch up on and then need to pick a new challenge. When I was creating my gifts I created a new sims 3 folder so I could better control what objects I was using without uninstalling a lot. Hopefully its just a matter of drag and drop to get my game file back going or I will have to consider a fresh island.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
  • Options
    SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @ciane I did a last minute check in on the forum before I went to bed (11:30 pm here) and it let me read your pages! Love the story so far, and the way the children are looking - also the way the house is shaping. I've had no playing time at all, as it's stopped raining all the time and so I've been in the garden as much as I possibly can, to try and keep ahead of the weeds. So far, the weeds are winning...Hope you've had a good week and that feeding the high schoolers wasn't too exhausting. How's the physio going?
  • Options
    Sometimes I think it's getting better. The occupational therapist says it takes her less time to get the mobility in my hand, so that's better than not. The physical therapist says my joint has more mobility, so that's good too. I'm going to say the visits have helped. I just was looking for 100% again. Maybe that's unrealistic.

I don't find feeding the high schoolers exhausting or even the clean-up exhausting. I am just disheartened that there are lots of volunteers to prep and serve the food, and then sit around and chat; but all the real workers have somewhere else to rush off to and no one stays to help clean up. Why do people hate cleaning up so much?

By the way, I am way behind on my weeds. They have the trophy! I wanted to get in there after the rain, but had something else to do, I guess. Now I'm hoping we get some rain tonight, so I can pull weeds tomorrow.
  • Options
    With me and physio it's been my ankle - last visit to the physio I was saying all the things I still couldn't do and she was saying When did you do this - oh, that's normal. Which was quite reassuring in a way...I'm still doing all the exercises every day even though I've been officially discharged and they are helping, though it's a slow road back to all the way there. Did a four mile walk the other day, and I could feel it at the end of it - normally four miles is nothing: when we went to California the other Christmas, we did nine miles a day every day of the holiday. I slept very well, I have to say! I hope you do get your total mobility back - I found my mobility progress sort of went up, then a plateau when all the exercises didn't seem to make much difference, then up, then a plateau...The ups got smaller, but the overall progress was at a higher stage. Kepp going!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    For my mobility recovery, which still isn't 100%, I stepped away from the regular physical therapy places and found my own non - sports medicine based pt place. Between the new physical therapist (Pilates based pt), who listened instead of brushing me off & not having a clue as to what yoga & Pilates are; and my chiropractor I'm somewhere between 60 - 75% recovered which makes me very happy, because so long as I'm not lifting carrying anything over 30 lbs for a few minutes I don't have to use any form of mobility aid anymore. I'll always have the early onset arthritis (darned dna) but it doesn't have me anymore. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    It's just that I broke that baby toe and then my middle finger. Breaking the baby toe (within the foot) means you walk differently and baby it. My other toes were still hanging out with it and not moving independently and my foot couldn't do that excess energy jiggle, if you know what I mean. Its shaking it at the ankle when you have one shin placed on the other thigh, if that helps. Anyway, I can now do that excess energy shake and the toes are starting to move independently. Sometimes, my toe and outer foot will hurt and I'm prone to twisting it.

With my finger, the splint kept the other fingers from their normal mobility too and I didn't have any exercises I could do without fear of bending that middle finger. Now, all the fingers of that hand are stiff and won't bend tightly into a fist. On my other hand, I can curl my fingers so the finger tips touch the base of the hand. On my injured hand, I can place a finger easily in the space between finger tip and base of fingers. The pointer and pinky have more range of motion and less pain and stiffness, but oh, my, that ring finger is almost as bad and sometimes even more painful than the middle one I broke!
  • Options
    I have a couple more pages for you here:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/addy

I've played them around one full week now, so I'm a third of the way there. Sassy still has to make friends with all the children, everyone else is friends. It's still the weekend, so the kids haven't started school yet.
  • Options
    Final installment for Natalya is up. It includes a mention of the next household. :)
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/natalya-journal-6
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    The house looks great @Mmdrgntobldrgn. You did an awesome good on the restoration and the story. It'll be fun to see you struggle through the McPhail reno next and to see what triplets you end up with.
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    The house looks great @Mmdrgntobldrgn. You did an awesome good on the restoration and the story. It'll be fun to see you struggle through the McPhail reno next and to see what triplets you end up with.
    Thanks, I still need to get laundry hung before finding out what combo I get. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Finally - the last chapter of MamaDragon's such-fun renovacy!
    Link here:
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/the-hutchins-and-mojica-renovacy.html
    Now I'm going to go and read everyone else's stories... :)
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Oooh ... I see stories to read!
  • Options
    @ciane I love the way you use the cat as a focal point for the story telling so often! And the pictures of Sassy too.
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn Love the way Natalya develops, and there's definitely a hint of her great-grandmother in there. So you're playing the McPhails next...should be fun!
  • Options
    I did very much enjoy the wrap-up of knowing where all the children turned young adults were headed with their future.
  • Options
    Okay, I did get another day in. Yes, there was another surprise.
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/addy/
    (click the last link)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    As you say - yes there was another surprise! I suppose calling one chapter No More Surprises was going to provoke the game mechanics into proving you wrong...We've had sunshine for two days running now - hope you're having a lovely day too. B)
  • Options
    Well, the no more surprises chapter itself had no surprises, it was the following chapter that offer a new surprise!

On another note, I had to start the reno that was made for me by @KaytayRoall in the gift exchange. I plan to alternate it with Addy's challenge and hope not to get confused.

So, it's listed in my others tab with all the renovations I've done or am working on.

Find it here:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/fix
  • Options
    @ciane I love her determination! And I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with the place!
  • Options
    KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    Hello :)

I probably should have introduced myself here sooner. I've checked out this thread several times over the last few months, lurked and looked around. I like the idea of the renovacy challenge for encouraging building as a part of playing the game. I thought about playing one a few times, but never got around to it. And I didn't have a place to share my progress, which seems like a big part of the fun. Then the gift exchange happened and I couldn't help but think that a renovacy would be a great gift for @ciane.

Of course, even though it was made for ciane, the renovacy I made is available for anyone who wants to play it.
    The story can be found here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16455862/#Comment_16455862
    And the exchange link: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9212852

Also, I know I kind of did things backwards, making a renovacy before ever playing one, but now that I've gotten a taste, I definitely want to try them out for myself. I've made myself a website for sharing sims stuff, which has been a goal of mine for a long time. It still needs some setting up, but I'm so glad this gave me the impetus to take that step. Hopefully I'll be back here soon, with a first entry of my first renovacy.
  • Options
    @KaytayRoall I loved the look of your renovacy - it's now on my list to play (along with ciane's and ADWilson's). I did hope, when I started making them, that there would be people who would love playing them, and people who loved making them - and people who enjoyed both. And if you play one, I'm definitely looking forward to reading it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, I played @KaytayRoall 's challenge until Cameron aged up from toddler to child. I posted the first day already and should get the other chapters up in a bit. Then, I'll switch back to Addy's.

Okay all the links should be up.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @ciane caught up with your story (should have been doing the dusting, polishing, hoovering etc, but your story was way more fun!) and like the way the old lighthouse is shaping. Also the children, and their muffin hunts. We've had nice weather for several days in a row here and I'm actually getting somewhere with the garden (hence the mess in the house) - hope you're having good weather too.
    Was getting ready to start another renovacy (yours!) but the computer crashed on me as I was making a character - phooey. I took it as a sign that I really ought to stop and go and make the bread instead (and hit the cleaning...). Maybe later it'll play nice for me.
  • Options
    Muffin hunting! Yes, I send them to the library a lot, but Bridgeport and its subways are challenging. You send them all home together after curfew and by the time they hit the subway they all seem to be traveling separately again! I do have a mod for that, so I'll need to go through some old folders and find what I need to add back in to my game. It's a twoftmama one or a nonasims one, I think, for a routing fix for BP.

I do get that taxis are crazy expensive, and subways much cheaper, in the real world; but sometimes you just can't take that routing effectively when traveling with small children, you know?

We have high temps (90s-100s) this week and lots of sun, so catching the cloudy times is a challenge. I have to get out early and then give up for the rest of the day when it comes to gardening, with just some watering after the sun is going down.

Today I'm actually making big twigs into smaller ones on the back patio. It's covered, so I'm in the shade. :)

Oops on that computer crash! I've learned that if I run ccleaner and don't use the launcher afterwards, I don't even have to clear my .caches because they don't get larger in size. Just be careful with ccleaner as it likes to clean a bit too much. ((If I leave old sims 3 folders in my EA folder, I go back in to find they only have the saves within them. So I have to save folders to my D drive in a documents folder there to keep different installations safe. If they have the same installation and I'm can just add and remove mods that make no core changes, then just the save folder is fine, of course, and requires much less storage space.))

Otherwise, if I've used the launcher and not run ccleaner, I'll have those compositor caches growing larger as I play and, of course, the .tmp files in the dccache folder making the game size larger too. Then, as I play, I keep having more save files getting added too! So, crashing is more likely for me when a compositor cache file gets over 300 (though it was over 500 when I closed out my game last night). I've learned that I can delete old saves while I'm still playing, so that helps too.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The McPhails had a very interesting first week, it was anything but routine.
    They have no time on their hands, and a fair way to go on the renovation, week 2 (not played out yet) will hopefully be less exciting for them.
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/mcphail-week-1

Ps, there is now an index page for easier access to past renovations and posts.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top