Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"The sims 4 can't have cars. Cars are useless without the open world"

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2018
    it really shows how cheaply they went with this game.

after all that money simmers spent on every game myself included and on the sims 3 store. for yourself and gifting friends and simmers.

we should of got a awesome sims game instead of bare bones.

it seems the sims 4s biggest features are backdrops and illusions. and simmers are even telling them there great :#

oh well i guess if we want cars its in freeplay, sims2, sims3 :o

is it any wonder a lot of us hate how this game turn out, spending all that money to support this franchise and getting back poor packs.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    Cars could pull part way out of the driveway then zone, with loading screen showing animation of them driving away would get rid of those blindingly, headache causing white screens.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    geoffreypa wrote: »
    Cars could pull part way out of the driveway then zone, with loading screen showing animation of them driving away would get rid of those blindingly, headache causing white screens.

No they can't - they cannot move with out an actual programmed road system in the game. They could only do that in Sims 2 because it had the Sims City 4 road system and map system in that base game. FX does not make cars move except in a constant loop on fx paths on the fake roads. Sims cannot interact with fx items or paths - they go right through the sims.

But sims 2 used a stretch of the road system for the drive way and another stretch of the road system connecting the drive way with the road - our lots are not even near big enough to support even sims 2 back up system - never mind not having that programming in this game.

Modders cannot even make their cars move - they been trying since 2015 and they agree because there is no road system or programming for it. The only way things besides sims move in this game is fx - period, and teleport, of course.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    geoffreypa wrote: »

No they can't - they cannot move with out an actual programmed road system in the game. They could only do that in Sims 2 because it had the Sims City 4 road system and map system in that base game. FX does not make cars move except in a constant loop on fx paths on the fake roads. Sims cannot interact with fx items or paths - they go right through the sims.

But sims 2 used a stretch of the road system for the drive way and another stretch of the road system connecting the drive way with the road - our lots are not even near big enough to support even sims 2 back up system - never mind not having that programming in this game.

Modders cannot even make their cars move - they been trying since 2015 and they agree because there is no road system or programming for it. The only way things besides sims move in this game is fx - period, and teleport, of course.

I agree. If people could see what the game really looks like without all the "painted" areas, they'd see a blank neighborhood with only the different lots showing up. Everything else would be blank. No sky, no distance, no ground around lots, no roads or water. Everything is paint with fx cars, ducks and animals. It's like that blue screen in the movies where they add a scene behind actors and a few props.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited April 2018
    So I was talking about the things I want in the sims 4. One of which was cars. The first comment I got was:
    "The sims 4 can't have cars. Cars are useless without the open world".
    The sims 2 had cars and it worked just fine without the open world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKCPYPRlF1o

The fact that the entire game engine would need a rehaul is reason enough to answer why the game can't. I just do not see any significant gameplay features that involve cars. Saw them in other iterations and did not see them as anything that was a need.
  • Options
    lasydaisy1122lasydaisy1122 Posts: 66 Member
    I use cars and trucks in Sims 2 and Sims 3 plus bikes and boats in Sims 3. I loved the animation of the Sims 2 cars and trucks best with the doors opening and closing etc. I like having garages in Sims houses.
  • Options
    SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    The Sims 4 worlds are more open than the ones in S1/S2 which had cars and less open than in S3 so it's definitively possible to integrate them in the game and not being an open world should not be an excuse not to add them for those who like them. Personally, I'm not bothered that cars are not in the game but it's also a staple of the Sims franchise since day 1. Cars are even in mobile games so there's that.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Well it would be nice to have cars at least so we can build garages. Then I don't think loading screens are incompatible with cars.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited April 2018
    In a trailer for some other content or something like that, they had a billboard sign with a gas station and cars, so you know it is a possibility especially since it was on a survey. I doubt that they put anything on a survey that isn't possible to execute.

As for me, I would love to have a gas station/car lot/mechanic business on the largest lot available with toddler trykes & kid bikes in the in the showroom inside & scooters, ect. for kids. Mechanic skill/job would be a nice to have for home business or working in public. Since it would take a gamepack or EP, I would like junkers, bugs, bug van, classic cars, vans, drivable vacation home, large trailer to pull behind types for camping, normal cars, and then up to the high end ones. It is possible that this could be put in a S4 jobs EP. They could open up the ability to own apartments and expand on that. These could be sides like the photography & owning your own store was to the career EP we already have. They could add babysitting, house building job, stylist, home interior, and normal jobs like pizza place or grocery store. Since all of those have the main parts already in place, it would be easy to provide that as well as another profession or two. Maybe firefighter & burgler & open up the police station better. :)

I miss cars and the trolley or train opened up would be another nice addition for poor sims who can't afford cars. They could have signs like for fishing except they are railroad/trolley stops. :)
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    The Sims 4 worlds are more open than the ones in S1/S2 which had cars and less open than in S3 so it's definitively possible to integrate them in the game and not being an open world should not be an excuse not to add them for those who like them. Personally, I'm not bothered that cars are not in the game but it's also a staple of the Sims franchise since day 1. Cars are even in mobile games so there's that.

of course it is possible. it was in the sims 2 and that did not have any form of open world. cars carpools would be better than what we have now. nothings :#

its embarrassing the game at times. gone this much backwards :s
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    1ovemysims wrote: »

> @Writin_Reg said:
    Those are fake streets not software road systems - that are pathed for FX - only, not even toy cars blown bigger can use FX pathing. FXcars they are projected to look like cars that run on a fx loop to give the appearance of vehicles, trains, trolleys, steam boats on water, etc etc. Sims cannot see them, usable cars cannot run on fx paths or fake roads - that is not how programming software works. If a sims stood in the middle of the fake road and any of the fx vehicals hit then - not a thing would happen as they are fx to give the impression they are in fact there.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am sure your right about the FX but our dogs must be FX to. Later that night my Dog got a red nose because we got hit by a car crossing the street. I had to pay out at the Vet hospital.

that is an illness - in fact most of the dog illness involves a red nose. But Maxis will never allow a sim or it's pets to ever get hit by a car. They have rules against those kind of real world kind of things.

I miss the days when Sims and cats out in the street blocked the limo, buses, and other cars. lol Now, that is immersion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    So I was talking about the things I want in the sims 4. One of which was cars. The first comment I got was:
    "The sims 4 can't have cars. Cars are useless without the open world".
    The sims 2 had cars and it worked just fine without the open world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKCPYPRlF1o

The fact that the entire game engine would need a rehaul is reason enough to answer why the game can't. I just do not see any significant gameplay features that involve cars. Saw them in other iterations and did not see them as anything that was a need.

There were a lot of things not 'needed' in all these games, but it sure would have been a whole lot of slot popping and grinding if things not 'needed' weren't in a game.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yeah - me too. But those were real programmed vehicles on real, programmed usable roads. Sims interacted with those as well as the road programming. Really brought the worlds to life - which fx never can. FX is entirely visual for the player only, with no interaction with any characters or anything at all in the game.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited April 2018
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    I would totally make sims themed around their personal transportation method.
    Pig tailed lollipop girl skating around the neighborhood, Ferrari driving italian machos, cycling fitness nuts, mexican hoods driving low riders, slavs squatting next to their Volkswagens, etc.

That's exactly how I used transportation in TS3 :) Cars were yet another means of giving Sims style and personality -- much like clothing or accessories. Except cars had the additional benefit of adding immersion to how Sims got to wherever it is they were going.

Driving a new car was also a means of showing the Sims' advancement. I loved starting Sims out with a little hooptie where the door wouldn't close properly and the fumes from the exhaust lingered long after the car was gone. In then end, the fortunate Sims would be driving Ranges, Hummers, and BMWs (thank you Fresh Prince!). Adventurous Sims got four by fours and such.

Cars were another awesome extension of the Sims themselves.

If The Sims: DIY ever got functioning cars, I'd hope for Van that could also be used as mobile home, including sleeping, showering, and woohoo. I'd love if, when it was stationary, a little awning could pop out so that I could set up a grill and picnic tables.

The first thing that I would do is build a trailer park in Granite Falls.

There's so much that could be done with cars.
    Sims 2 had a road system - that Sims 4 does not - so without a road system even modders cannot make the cars they made 3 years ago usable in any form other than to give your sim a moodlet. Heck my sim can get a moodlet just looking at a poster - I don't need a rather large statue shaped like a car to do that. Sims 1-2, and 3 had road systems - we don't period and that is the problem. Ask modders who have tried....

That's not necessarily true. In areas where there is no road, the car could roll down the driveway and then disappear. They wouldn't even need that part of the driveway that extends onto the road, like TS2

Likewise, add parking spots to community lots and when cars arrive, they could appear in those spots. That worked quite well in TS3. In my current game, I know exactly which Sims are on a community lot, even before I go inside. Because I recognize the cars in the parking lot. Every family has their own distinct style and cars.

In this version, the cars could just appear in the spot. They don't need to use the road.

Also, for those who prefer car-less towns, places like Windenburg would be perfect for those Sims. For example, only bikes would be used in towns like that, by order of the local council.

In San Myshuno, the car could be parked in a communal garage where neighbors run into each other as they're coming and going.

Cars would add so much to the game.

Edited to add: I hope that if there are cars in this version, the devs will make sure that they are improved. I would to see Sims open the doors, get into the cars and start them up. When they start up, I'd love for the radio to come on and, at night, the lights will flick on. Irresponsible Sims will drive with no lights. I would love if I can set the radio station that is on when the car starts. Also, hopefully, there would be sports cars with lights that are invisible when off, but flip up when the car is turned on.

I can already imagine a rebellious teen, arriving in their pimped out old car, blasting the music and flashing the lights to impress the other teens.

Again, so much can be done with cars!
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    edited April 2018
    I think the would be a nice thing to buy for your home lot to as a decoration or hobby type item.
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    ActuallySammyActuallySammy Posts: 299 Member
    Not necessarily cars that I want. But do you know how long it takes to walk from one end of the park in oasis spring to the other side? It's unnatural, a bike would be helpful.
    Origin id: ActuallySammy
    If you want to respond to me please make sure to @ me.
  • Options
    LR31OLR31O Posts: 40 Member
    The Sims 4 already kinda has cars in the base game, though they're all decorative. You can access them via the cheat codes and spawn them in with their string of code.

Here's a link to most/all of the available vehicles :smile: :
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/784767/spawn-decorative-cars
    Hi! I'm Luigi. Video gamer + Illustrator. Commissions always open. Check out my works here!

Portfolio | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter
  • Options
    Not necessarily cars that I want. But do you know how long it takes to walk from one end of the park in oasis spring to the other side? It's unnatural, a bike would be helpful.

The fact that it takes so long is what makes it more natural. They already teleport from lot to lot,I don't want them teleporting from one end to the other too.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    The openess of the world/neighborhood doesn’t have something to do with it, but the mechanics of the game. The way the roads function. Which apparently allows one lot based Sims 2 to have them and neighborhood based Sims 4 cannot?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Sims 3 for the Xbox 360 is not an open world either, and yet sims are still able to ride around in cars. In fact that's how they travel around town in the game. So it is possible for sims in Sims 4 to travel around town that way too.
  • Options
    RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    I wish the roads and space between lots could be its own neighborhood. I don't mind the loading screens but i loved watching my sim walk through a town especially in the snow in sims 3.
  • Options
    I wish the roads and space between lots could be its own neighborhood. I don't mind the loading screens but i loved watching my sim walk through a town especially in the snow in sims 3.

Your sim can walk around the neighborhood where they live. The only loading screen is if you want to go into a neighbors house.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Love this tweet now we can finally have a end to the cars are not possible in Sims 4 comments. We're really trying to think about how to make them interesting and incorporate them in a way that is meaningful sounds like a lot of discussion about cars has been happening with the Sims team, there was a Guru asking what we would like to see with cars last year so hopefully the work is being done on it now and they are past planning.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited May 2018
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Love this tweet now we can finally have a end to the cars are not possible in Sims 4 comments. We're really trying to think about how to make them interesting and incorporate them in a way that is meaningful sounds like a lot of discussion about cars has been happening with the Sims team, there was a Guru asking what we would like to see with cars last year so hopefully the work is being done on it now and they are past planning.

I find this interesting regarding car woohoo