Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"The sims 4 can't have cars. Cars are useless without the open world"

Comments

• Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I think we will get cars eventually in some capacity. I don't mind when people explain why they think something might not work in the game, but I tend to shake my head when people convey that something is "impossible". Some loudly said that we would never see toddlers in Sims 4 and that they were impossible. Back in Sims 2 I was told I was ridiculous for suggesting that weather would be possible. So don't worry much over what people on these forums say. It's good to respect other opinions but just because someone here doesn't believe it's possible, it doesn't mean we won't ever see that thing.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The Sims 2 also had a chunk built into every lot that served as a carpool path, and later extended to additional pathing in the form of a driveway object which allowed cars to be fully animated.

This is a totally different setup than Sims 2, and a totally different setup than Sims 3 even. Roads in Sims 4 aren't roads, they are 3D objects built into the world mesh. There is pathing for vxf vehicles that travel down a predefined path at certain intervals on a never ending loop. There is no pathing for working vehicles that enter or exit the roadway, or even stop at a specific point along the roadway. With the disclosure that swimming outside of pools would require a brand new world asset to be created, it kind of goes without saying that this situation would also call for a new world asset to be made with specific pathing for vehicles. Thus containing whatever gameplay came with vehicles in one area as the animations and functionality wouldn't be compatible with previously released worlds.

I think they have better things to focus on in Sims 4.
  • GoddessqueenbGoddessqueenb Posts: 89 Member
    Cars was awesome in the Sims 2 ! Better than the Sims 3!! :/
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    They could as least give us the fake cars standing around in San Myshuno for decoration. I am so tired of pumping up those pixelated toy cars.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    modthesims.info/d/558029 They work, but aren't animated though.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member
    The Sims 2 also had a chunk built into every lot that served as a carpool path, and later extended to additional pathing in the form of a driveway object which allowed cars to be fully animated.

This is a totally different setup than Sims 2, and a totally different setup than Sims 3 even. Roads in Sims 4 aren't roads, they are 3D objects built into the world mesh. There is pathing for vxf vehicles that travel down a predefined path at certain intervals on a never ending loop. There is no pathing for working vehicles that enter or exit the roadway, or even stop at a specific point along the roadway. With the disclosure that swimming outside of pools would require a brand new world asset to be created, it kind of goes without saying that this situation would also call for a new world asset to be made with specific pathing for vehicles. Thus containing whatever gameplay came with vehicles in one area as the animations and functionality wouldn't be compatible with previously released worlds.

Your comment gave me a thought... what if the animation didn't use the road. So the Sim would get in the car back out their spot then the vehicle would disappear and the loading screen would begin. OR, idea have that same idea but make it T shaped and able to be partly off of the lot and over the road. Making its own area for the animation that would lay off the lot and lay on the road. Then the actual road itself never gets touched. I mean is this possible?
    It partly reminds me of the Sims 2 driveways.
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    I always found it interesting how the community area of Oasis Springs actually has parking spaces around. It might have been something they considered but cancelled (just for the record, cars were cut from the Sims 2 base game) because of some issues? I don't know.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I always found it interesting how the community area of Oasis Springs actually has parking spaces around. It might have been something they considered but cancelled (just for the record, cars were cut from the Sims 2 base game) because of some issues? I don't know.

Just aesthetic. Sims 2 had cars in the base game, in the form of the carpool. Ownable cars came with nightlife and were additionally available as a free download from the in-game browser.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I really miss them. It was fun to watch them drive around, or watch them come home from the hospital in the taxi. They would teach the teens how to drive. I hope sims5 has them back.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    BoredinTX wrote: »

Your comment gave me a thought... what if the animation didn't use the road. So the Sim would get in the car back out their spot then the vehicle would disappear and the loading screen would begin. OR, idea have that same idea but make it T shaped and able to be partly off of the lot and over the road. Making its own area for the animation that would lay off the lot and lay on the road. Then the actual road itself never gets touched. I mean is this possible?

Yeah but would we be able to get the in car animations like TS2 had and the fixer upper car from TS3?
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cars was awesome in the Sims 2 ! Better than the Sims 3!! :/

yes they were
    more for sim kids and more drama please

great idea

This is a totally different setup than Sims 2, and a totally different setup than Sims 3 even. Roads in Sims 4 aren't roads, they are 3D objects built into the world mesh. There is pathing for vxf vehicles that trav'el down a predefined path at certain intervals on a never ending loop. There is no pathing for working vehicles that enter or exit the roadway, or even stop at a specific point along the roadway. With the disclosure that swimming outside of pools would require a brand new world asset to be created, it kind of goes without saying that this situation would also call for a new world asset to be made with specific pathing for vehicles. Thus containing whatever gameplay came with vehicles in one area as the animations and functionality wouldn't be compatible with previously released worlds.

Yeah but would we be able to get the in car animations like TS2 had and the fixer upper car from TS3?

I don't see why not I mean this would only be used when they drive the car the rest of the time it would be on the lot @catloverplayer
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    I would love cars, even just for something for rich sims to spend money on.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    While I think cars would be nice to have for decoration purposes, I don't think I'd get much personal use out of them. My sims in TS2 rarely had cars and I mostly had my sims travel via taxi or carpool in TS3.

You realize those are cars...right?
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this idea yet, but maybe for cars to be usable, players would just have to build a drive way on the lot, and whatever car animations that happen take place on the lot, so it would look like the car is pulling out from the lot but then goes to a loading screen before it actually goes anywhere, for lots that don't have this drive way the car will just end up in the sims inventory, and for lots that have a pre built parking space the car will pull into the drive way. Ya the issue here would be that it would take up space on the lot, but I think this would be a good way to implement cars.
  • BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this idea yet, but maybe for cars to be usable, players would just have to build a drive way on the lot, and whatever car animations that happen take place on the lot, so it would look like the car is pulling out from the lot but then goes to a loading screen before it actually goes anywhere, for lots that don't have this drive way the car will just end up in the sims inventory, and for lots that have a pre built parking space the car will pull into the drive way. Ya the issue here would be that it would take up space on the lot, but I think this would be a good way to implement cars.

I actually put that idea a few posts up from yours. I think it could work. And it would be optional so the people who don't want to use it don't have too.. Also, you could implement all the other actions we want from a car from this. I vote yes.
    Now if only the gurus would see this...
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited August 2017
    Kurotard wrote: »
    Jeez The Sims 2 was ahead of its time.
    Lesfem420 wrote: »
    I agree, i liked having cars in the game. I'd like to build garages onto the house, but would make no sense for me with no cars :(

Seriously! To both of these!

I still remember the first time I added garages to a custom household during the Sims 2 and had them buy cars. It was a family of four with two kids. Dad was on his way home from work (mom was already) and the sound of the garage door opening, the sound of the car driving and slowing down and braking, shutting off, the door closing and the sound of the kids stopping to go great Dad. That moment melted my heart.

I think the Sims 2 was just Magic. They've always given hints and Sims 1"making magic" was a cue to what would be Sims 2.

I wish Sims 2 was given the content 3 and 4 had. It would be the best Sims game.

I really hoped 4 would be the version of 2 that would blow the Sims games out of the water - but sadly, it fell short *IN MY OPINION*

I imagine cars in 4 need to be a mix of 2/3 because of how some of the lots were designed.

It is what it is.
  • ViniLaranjViniLaranj Posts: 10 New Member
    The Sims 2 is without open wordl and cars worksvery well
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Even if cars in Sims 4 wouldn't be able to drive off into the distance /really/ using the road like in Sims 2, I'm sure devs still could find a way to implement them anyway. This whole idea just needs reworking. It's 2017 and if they could modify the game enough to add a whole new life stage I'm sure they could implement cars one way or another. As other users have said, vehicles don't have to actually use the road. A fake animation of them going away would be enough, cars in Sims 2 were just tokens anyway so Sims 4 can go the same way about them. However, i realize it's not everyone's cup of tea and if they did there would probably be tons of critique from the community.. I love realism in my game, i regret my family can't have a car. I sized up the toy one and it stands in front of their fake garage just for decoration purposes but it pains me how low poly it is :D If i can never really travel in them, I need cars as the symbol of status for my sims.

• ViniLaranjViniLaranj Posts: 10 New Member
    Other point about cars on TS4 is the fact that on TS4 we can travel into worlds "like TS2". On TS3 we can't but, the open world make cars more necessary.
    In fact a tink on The Sims there are a lot of tradicional things like pets, seasons, swing and cars, one day the developers will be bring these for game, because there is these since TS1, but the question is When it's will get to...
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »
    Jeez The Sims 2 was ahead of its time.

More like TS4 is behind it's time LOL
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    If TS4 was cranking out new content and packs on a regular basis I would be all for adding cars. As it is though given the long list of things this game needs cars is pretty far down it for me personally.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    So I was talking about the things I want in the sims 4. One of which was cars. The first comment I got was:
    "The sims 4 can't have cars. Cars are useless without the open world".
    The sims 2 had cars and it worked just fine without the open world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKCPYPRlF1o

Cars and carpool was great in the sims 2

I miss the animation of getting into the car
    Woohoo
    Listening to music
    Arriving onto a lot by car
    Going to work in a helicopter
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Lesfem420 wrote: »
    I agree, i liked having cars in the game. I'd like to build garages onto the house, but would make no sense for me with no cars :(

Agree

Options to build them and bikes to
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon