Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    When you think about it, the problem here isn't so much that someone uploads another person's work to save it, as long as the original name is still on there. The actual problem comes when other people see the re-upload and choose to download or favorite from that instead. That is when something is being taken away from the original creator. So I think the gallery needs two things:

1. A "private" uploading option, for those who want to save things from their game for backup purposes, or for those who'd like to save their own creations without sharing them for downloading.

2. An automatic redirect to the original creator when someone tries to download something that has the "original by" tag on it.

I don't know if either of these are possible, but even if one of them were incorporated it would cut down a lot on some of the problems.

These are good ideas. Because I would hate to see someone like @ehaught58 builds be claimed by someone else.

I would add if a person edits one of their own builds that the original upload date remain. Like just for an example, my DS house I uploaded (but had never completed by then) was uploaded like in Jan. 2015 but when I edited it to add the interior it was uploaded as a different date. That might make people think I took someone else's idea and changed but no it was because it was so much work and with my health it actually took me months to finish one half of the interior and still had not finished the west wing of that lot. I'm particular about detail of that lot but editing it did make it look like I had uploaded it much later than I originally did which was in Jan. 2015.

Those builds by @ehaught58 are impressive. I think we all would know if someone tried to pass them off as theirs. Anyway shame on them if they do,.

Well, check out how many re-uploads of my lot, The White House, there is! Go figure... :/

Then by all means tell them in the comments. Do they take credit for them or are they still credited to you. I know one thing I learned here is to download from the original creator when it is on the lot. And if it does not have the hashtag#stopstealing.

I gave up worrying about people re-uploading my lots way back early in the Sims 2. It happens so often, I can’t even keep track of it all. It’s just not worth the worrying. I don’t really care anyway. ;)

But you are not accusing them of stealing anyway. Thanks for that. After seeing your work I will know it and comment that it looks like yours.

No, I have never accused anyone of stealing. If anyone is stealing, then they are stealing from EA, since they own everything Sims related. It is stated in the rules.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Chi5678Chi5678 Posts: 268 Member
    I see both sides of this argument, but I agree with you. Once you upload it whoever takes it can do as they wish. If they don't change anything AT ALL about it, and re-upload it as their own, then I see a problem. But, as soon as they change one thing, it's technically their's....
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • Options
    trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't know. I'm not a builder cause I'm awful at it. But what I do know is that builds are incredibly hard and can be tedious and it is never an easy feat, even for a video game. Builds can and tend to take hours to do, especially the intricate and really gorgeous ones and I know if I worked that hard on something, was nice enough to make it available for others to download and then saw it reuploaded with someone else passing it off as their own, I'd probably be pretty darn annoyed too.

Like, yes. EA gave everyone the tools to create the house but EA themselves still didn't create that house, so the logic of "well we're all technically stealing from EA" doesn't really work imo.

I mean, for me, it's like telling a writer whose work got plagiarized, "Well you didn't make that paper or typewriter or laptop, you just wrote on it, so technically it's not stealing."
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    If I build something I don't want anyone else to use I don't put it in the community gallery. I do post pics of it in the forums though.
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    edited January 2018
    The way I see a way forward here would be :

1. For us to kindly stop using the #stop stealing# as this seems to generally categorize everyone as thieves which is seen as slanderous and may be hurtful to our feelings

2. For us to respect those creators who do not want their works to simply be 're-uploaded (with or without modifications) or unduly 're-uploaded(without modifications) whether our reasons are for backing up our favs creations or not. If these creators don't want their work 're-uploaded..we should simply respect them plus we have a choice to not download

3. For those creators that wouldn't mind their works duly 're-uploaded whether by stating it or not..it is only appropriate and shouldn't be too much for us to give credits to them when 're-uploading regardless of whether EA already has a credit note so other simmers would be aware and choose the option to go for the original creation or maybe even stick to your modified creation but at least it'll be their choice

4. For those of us (including me) that use the Gallery as back up for our fav saves again we should try to not 're-upload creations from creators who do not want their works to be 're-uploaded (again we have a choice to simply not downlaod in the first place) and for our own original works..I don't see reasons why we shouldn't go ahead to save them on the Gallery even as back up...since its original,..we call it back up..the Gallery calls it sharing and other players may see it, and want to download it in fact..so anyhow it works the whole objective of the Gallery is still being met and not jeopardized

5. The Gallery is a wonderful place for creation sharing..it is not a competition ground but if we want to challenge ourselves lets keep it healthy

Hashtag #stop the stop stealing#; please
    Hashtag # stop the stealing#; please
    Hashtag # One love#
    Post edited by Honey_Pie_360 on
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Last I knew unless you play your game in windowed mode accessing any thing out side of the game - like a flash drive doesn't work -

So telling people to upload there is pointless in the case of the Gallery which is an online file sharing system that you have to be online to go to during game - as that is one of the galleries selling points for the Sims 4 FROM EA themselves in the advertisements of the Sims 4 game -
    " to be able to go to the gallery during your game play to instantly add a Sim to your game, as well as - or upload a favorite lot to add to your game later."

So where does the flash drive come in when you are ingame and have no accesss to anything outside the game. They even encourage you when adding a sim to the game from the gallery - to upload a favorite lot for downloading to your game later. After all the GALLERY is not to showcase players work - can't help it if that is what Creators think it's for - but the gallery was designed as in game file share system where simmers can instantly share their content while playing the game. You can also upload a lot you have favored to download to your game later - That is in the advertisement as how to use the gallery ingame. One of the gallery ads - show a party - you need a sim to play piano, so you go to the gallery and find a sim with that ability. Maybe on the same page you see a house your hood can use - it shows you how to upload it to add it to your game later. In the meantime the sim you went after is shown popping into your game outside your party house and joins the party - plays the piano. It's how the gallery works.

So some people who upload - well at least the ones that do it while ingame - is actually THE WAY to use the gallery ingame and how to save lots or other sims to your game to easily add to your game later. EA in their AD for the gallery ingame does not say go to window mode and manipulate your pc to use a flashdrive - they tell you to upload a favorite lot or sim to Add to your game later when not ingame.

The problem is creators sees the gallery as a Showcase for ratings - ratings of course reflected by the number of downloads - and not the fact the gallery was designed for file sharing from within the game . The gallery promotes uploading and downloading both - so you can't blame the player when sometimes that is a more convenient option for lots - especially if your own library is already full - you can still save the lot to download into your game later.

How the Gallery works IS all about file sharing - we cannot help it if the creators treat it as a Showcase instead. It's not a showcase technically. If a creator did not want their house or Sim shared - then it should not even be on the gallery as sharing is the purpose of the gallery. Creators can just save their content to their own librairy if they don't want to share and maybe just share pictures on the forums to show what they made.
    I never said to use the flash drive while you're in-game. That's kind of silly. No, you back your files up when you're done playing, and you add files to your Tray folder before playing. It's a hassle, but if you're scared of being accused of being a thief or not keen on sharing your creations with others, and you still want backups of your files, this round-about method is your work-around. Mainly, backing up your Tray folder on a USB drive is best for having an emergency backup in case something happens to your computer or you're troubleshooting a problem with the game and you need to clear out the Tray folder on your computer.

I do agree with you that the gallery is for sharing lots and households, not a popularity contest or an art museum. However, as I said in a previous post, the problem lies in human nature itself. The gallery (like many things in this world, unfortunately) is not designed to account for it particularly well, and this clash of users with different ideas about how it should be used. So, basically, like a lot of things in this game, the gallery is not that well-thought-out.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2018
    I do understand the creators issues really i do.
    I find the offense in being accused of something i have not done before i have done anything.
    I find the stop stealing hashtag offensive.
    All the dont save it there all the give credit does not solve my problem. I give the creator credit. They want that respect. I want the respect to stop being called a thief before i have done anything.
    As you say they want credit. They get credit they want respect give me respect and remove the accusation that i am stealing. Its really that simple to me.
    I find the hashtag offensive. Respect for fellow simmers who do whats right means it should be removed. Respect goes both ways.
    And the hashtag is stop stealing. It would be a better statement and not so offensive to me if they were asking me dont steal. Understand what i mean? Its how its said.
    Maybe that seems trivial to some but to me it means respect. You get what you give.
    Yes, I understand you. And I can only give you one advice about this: Don't take this stupid hashtag personally. You do nothing wrong and you know that. I know, you don't want to hear "Get over it" but in this case that's the healthiest way to deal with it. Like I said before, I don't see any sense in that "don't steal" thing either, because it is provocative and doesn't make any difference for those who intend to steal. It's easier to remove than the original creator's name and doesn't prove anything, in the worst case it looks like a generalized accusation or sheer arrogance. But these users don't mean you, they mean the "thieves" and probably never thought about how someone like you (who just wants a backup) would feel about it. I agree with you when you find that insensitive but it's not worth all the anger. (I wouldn't go so far to say it's respectless as I don't see any intention to hurt someone.) Nevertheless, it's good to discuss your point of view publicly, so that people get aware of it and maybe even start to consider it.
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Actually it does. You tell that to your Creative Arts Professor seeing one third of your credit is based on the time spent and the difficulty of your project and challenge at hand.
    I don't mean being offensive but I don't care what any Arts Professor would or would not say in this case. I mean, we could go on in this direction like: discuss what "art" really is (which is why I put it in quotation marks), what your professor would say about "art forgery" and when "plagiarism" begins etc. - but that just doesn't make much sense as it would be off-topic. (Maybe we're misunderstanding each other, I don't know.)
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Anyone can draw a stick figure.
    But this doesn't give you the right to put your name on someone else's stick figure. (I don't mean you personally.)

You quoted the gallery's terms of use saying it's about "sharing" - which is completely okay for me. But sharing doesn't mean claiming someone else's work my own. For me it means: to use the shared contenct according to its purpose - which mainly is play with it in my game. The gallery tags content with the original creator's name for a reason: So that they get credit even when their stuff is re-uploaded. And if someone removes that name tag because they want to appear as the original creator they are "stealing" someone else's work.

And that's the only case I'm talking about: removing(!) that name tag with the intention(!) to be credited for someone else's work. Nothing else.

And to be honest, even if a SimGuru would comment on this thread and say: "Yeah, remove that name tag and re-upload that stuff! You've got our full permission to do whatever you like and we'll be applauding!" I'd still find it respectless and call it "theft" because of what I wrote in my first post: there are social rules we shouldn't need any laws (or terms of uses) for.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2018
    We cant stop people from re-uploading stuff as much as we would like to, so I guess the option is to see it as a chance you take or don't upload. Which I think not uploading would serve to respect your own work, because no one can take anything from you then.

Also the EA argument is silly. Whoever works for ea that built some of the houses that come with willow creek CANT build a nice home. Lol. Some look a country Podunk mess.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Kuroi wrote: »

Do you even know what you are talking about?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Last I knew unless you play your game in windowed mode accessing any thing out side of the game - like a flash drive doesn't work -

So telling people to upload there is pointless in the case of the Gallery which is an online file sharing system that you have to be online to go to during game - as that is one of the galleries selling points for the Sims 4 FROM EA themselves in the advertisements of the Sims 4 game -
    " to be able to go to the gallery during your game play to instantly add a Sim to your game, as well as - or upload a favorite lot to add to your game later."

So where does the flash drive come in when you are ingame and have no accesss to anything outside the game. They even encourage you when adding a sim to the game from the gallery - to upload a favorite lot for downloading to your game later. After all the GALLERY is not to showcase players work - can't help it if that is what Creators think it's for - but the gallery was designed as in game file share system where simmers can instantly share their content while playing the game. You can also upload a lot you have favored to download to your game later - That is in the advertisement as how to use the gallery ingame. One of the gallery ads - show a party - you need a sim to play piano, so you go to the gallery and find a sim with that ability. Maybe on the same page you see a house your hood can use - it shows you how to upload it to add it to your game later. In the meantime the sim you went after is shown popping into your game outside your party house and joins the party - plays the piano. It's how the gallery works.

So some people who upload - well at least the ones that do it while ingame - is actually THE WAY to use the gallery ingame and how to save lots or other sims to your game to easily add to your game later. EA in their AD for the gallery ingame does not say go to window mode and manipulate your pc to use a flashdrive - they tell you to upload a favorite lot or sim to Add to your game later when not ingame.

The problem is creators sees the gallery as a Showcase for ratings - ratings of course reflected by the number of downloads - and not the fact the gallery was designed for file sharing from within the game . The gallery promotes uploading and downloading both - so you can't blame the player when sometimes that is a more convenient option for lots - especially if your own library is already full - you can still save the lot to download into your game later.

How the Gallery works IS all about file sharing - we cannot help it if the creators treat it as a Showcase instead. It's not a showcase technically. If a creator did not want their house or Sim shared - then it should not even be on the gallery as sharing is the purpose of the gallery. Creators can just save their content to their own librairy if they don't want to share and maybe just share pictures on the forums to show what they made.
    I never said to use the flash drive while you're in-game. That's kind of silly. No, you back your files up when you're done playing, and you add files to your Tray folder before playing. It's a hassle, but if you're scared of being accused of being a thief or not keen on sharing your creations with others, and you still want backups of your files, this round-about method is your work-around. Mainly, backing up your Tray folder on a USB drive is best for having an emergency backup in case something happens to your computer or you're troubleshooting a problem with the game and you need to clear out the Tray folder on your computer.

I do agree with you that the gallery is for sharing lots and households, not a popularity contest or an art museum. However, as I said in a previous post, the problem lies in human nature itself. The gallery (like many things in this world, unfortunately) is not designed to account for it particularly well, and this clash of users with different ideas about how it should be used. So, basically, like a lot of things in this game, the gallery is not that well-thought-out.

First of all this is not about my files. Gallery use is clearly stated, and nobody but EA has a say in how the Gallery is used. I am not even much of a gallery user anyway - not really my thing, but at least I know the proper way to use it if I do care to use it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SimplyErica16SimplyErica16 Posts: 51 Member
    I think the whole "stealing" this is outrageous.
    I feel as though if you upload something to the gallery, then you want people to see it, hence the reason you uploaded it. Now if you don't want people to re-upload it, and you just want them to add said creations into your game, then it is that person's responsibility to add in the description that they don't want their art to be re-uploaded. It's a fair game choice.
    I'm a fellow Simmer!
    I have a youtube channel as well! Check it out ➭ SimplyErica

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

First of all this is not about my files. Gallery use is clearly stated, and nobody but EA has a say in how the Gallery is used. I am not even much of a gallery user anyway - not really my thing, but at least I know the proper way to use it if I do care to use it.

Oh don't be condescending. Others know how it works. Its really not about how it works , its about some people choosing to be disrespectful.

• Options
    Similar arguments to the ones in this thread

-Oh you're an author? Well you didn't invent books, who cares if someone copies your words or story and tries to take credit for it?

-Oh you did your homework? Who cares if someone else asks to copy it and get the same grade without the hard work.

Basically just a bunch of nonsense.
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Oh don't be condescending. Others know how it works. Its really not about how it works , its about some people choosing to be disrespectful.

And talking about being disrespectful and condescending... just listen to yourself.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Wyx2830Wyx2830 Posts: 129 Member
    Well!in other words,Some people Download the other's player Gallery subjects is very simple phenomenon!They can doing Favorite Change or share some outstanding item and upgrade into the gallery!i don't think this behaviour will be diong some infringement or Damage!that's too nervoursly!
  • Options
    ElokaEloka Posts: 184 Member
    I don't understand why you feel personally attcked by the hashtag if you aren't re-uploading as your own? If that's the case, it's not directed at you.

It may not be legally wrong to take credit for someone else's hard work, but it sure is morally wrong and it still happens. It should go without saying.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Looking at the gallery, the ones with that hashtag are just builds and sims to avoid entirely. It makes it more obvious to me that those users that use that hashtag have some internal issues. They use the gallery for popularity or for their own self esteem, which I can't support.

I do share some orginal builds and Sims. I really only share them to be used by my family on one if thr other three computers using my Origin account. It becomes a surprise when other users download my creations. If they get reuploaded, I really could care less. Obviously, I don't upload with the intent to gain likes, friends, or even popularity.
  • Options
    Looking at the gallery, the ones with that hashtag are just builds and sims to avoid entirely. It makes it more obvious to me that those users that use that hashtag have some internal issues. They use the gallery for popularity or for their own self esteem, which I can't support.

I do share some orginal builds and Sims. I really only share them to be used by my family on one if thr other three computers using my Origin account. It becomes a surprise when other users download my creations. If they get reuploaded, I really could care less. Obviously, I don't upload with the intent to gain likes, friends, or even popularity.

How do they have issues because they want their work credited? I honestly do not understand the mountain some people are making out of this molehill. Their work takes, time and effort much more effort than I could ever expend; so, you respect their wishes because they took that time out of their lives to give us something. Appreciate that.

This disclaimer 'do not claim as your own' has been around since sims 2, linking back to the original creator has always been the golden rule; why are some taking issue with it now? We’ve lost way too many creators due to the disregard many seem to have with the personal wishes of uploaders; who get no compensation for their work I might add.

It’s as simple as not being a jerk.
  • Options
    @Eloka

I personally see it an entitlement issues problem on the part of the creators who use the hashtag. Nothing said here has or will ever change my mind on that. It appears their need for recognition is to feed their own ego. That just gives me more reason to not support them and that hashtag is a one way ticket for me in ignoring their building/SIM making skills.
  • Options
    @Eloka

I personally see it an entitlement issues problem on the part of the creators who use the hashtag. Nothing said here has or will ever change my mind on that. It appears their need for recognition is to feed their own ego. That just gives me more reason to not support them and that hashtag is a one way ticket for me in ignoring their building/SIM making skills.

How is it "entitlement" if they are the ones creating the works? Entitlement would be the people taking other peoples creations and passing them off as their own, then whining when they are called out on it.

Creators make a simple request; "don't claim as your own" and even that is too hard for some people.
  • Options
    lrnblsm98lrnblsm98 Posts: 51 Member
    Good point, I'm not a huge builder myself but I know most players who are take pride in their work and share their lots with us, and I do think it's wrong to download their work and then re-upload and claim as your own.
  • Options
    Chi5678 wrote: »
    I see both sides of this argument, but I agree with you. Once you upload it whoever takes it can do as they wish. If they don't change anything AT ALL about it, and re-upload it as their own, then I see a problem. But, as soon as they change one thing, it's technically their's....

I too see the side of the creator. I get that. Also if asked politely not to re upload even for saving i will not re upload it. Now i am not going to even favorite anything with that hashtag and i think by this post that others agrre that it is offensive. Thats just what happens when posts like this get long people read parts and not all and it goes a different way then intended.
  • Options
    asesina wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm not a builder cause I'm awful at it. But what I do know is that builds are incredibly hard and can be tedious and it is never an easy feat, even for a video game. Builds can and tend to take hours to do, especially the intricate and really gorgeous ones and I know if I worked that hard on something, was nice enough to make it available for others to download and then saw it reuploaded with someone else passing it off as their own, I'd probably be pretty darn annoyed too.

Like, yes. EA gave everyone the tools to create the house but EA themselves still didn't create that house, so the logic of "well we're all technically stealing from EA" doesn't really work imo.

I mean, for me, it's like telling a writer whose work got plagiarized, "Well you didn't make that paper or typewriter or laptop, you just wrote on it, so technically it's not stealing."

My offense is taken with the hashtag. I know how long it takes to make things. Hey it takes a long time to remake them for your game.
  • Options
    If I build something I don't want anyone else to use I don't put it in the community gallery. I do post pics of it in the forums though.

That is great i would love to see them.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Entitlement is them requiring any recognition. When I use a creation from the galllery, I do so as a starting base for myself, I will purposely not credit the original creator. I may only do very minor changes, but if it is changed in any way, it becomes my own. It is no longer their creation. I also understand saving to the gallery to not lose favorite builds/sims. I still do not credit the original creator, but I do say in the description that it is a favorite build I am saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top