Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What If Seasons is Confined to Specific Locations?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017
    No, I'm done! If we don't get weather in all worlds that's it, I'm not buying four separate packs nor one big one if I can't have weahter in all worlds.
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Well they already confirmed that seasons will probably not be limited to different worlds

If you believe that, and Yes, I saw the tweet that said he didn't think they would do that. Then why have they put out two surveys in the last three years showing packs that are the exact opposite of weather in all worlds?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    No, I'm done! If we don't get weather in all worlds that's it, I'm not buying four separate packs nor one big one if I can't have weahter in all worlds.
    You know guys, thinking about it now, if they didn't put weather in all worlds then modders would most likely find a way to do so.

The textures mods modders are using are not possible to use all four in at a time in your game. You can only use one. They have explained it is not possible to have snow or dead leaves etc on ground in existing worlds in your game at the same time. It is a problem. And that is what Maxis would have to do, make textures for existing worlds, so if custom hair can break the colors swatches (per SimGuruGraham/no color wheel because of it) in the UI what do you think four 'seasonal' terrain textures can do to the existing worlds?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Well they already confirmed that seasons will probably not be limited to different worlds

If you believe that, and Yes, I saw the tweet that said he didn't think they would do that. Then why have they put out two surveys in the last three years showing packs that are the exact opposite of weather in all worlds?

So you choose to believe old surveys which are used to determine what the players would like over the devs actually saying that they would not split up seasons?

Isn't it possible that those old surveys told the devs that we want a full seasons pack like we've had in the past and they listened and are going to give us that seasons pack?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

So you choose to believe old surveys which are used to determine what the players would like over the devs actually saying that they would not split up seasons?

Isn't it possible that those old surveys told the devs that we want a full seasons pack like we've had in the past and they listened and are going to give us that seasons pack?

I would say yes, I wouldn't believe an old survey (2015) because since then we see/learned they don't actually produce packs in surveys (some of us wish they would like the extreme chaos/weather pack lol) but they take a few (very few) ideas from them and then throw those ideas in where they didn't really belong. But with all that said Feb. 2017 survey isn't old, that is earlier this year. ETA: And Summer Holiday Pack survey seems to match the beach pic Origin and TS4 had up this month on their site.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Felicity wrote: »
    How would changing weather work with the backdrops, I wonder. When you get a rainstorm in the middle of the day, how would that transition work?

My guess is just the cloud backdrop would just change to grey clouds, and then rain in the world.

With snow, the background would just change to look more snowy. (Snow on buildings, rocks etc.)
    Can they change the backdrops though? I wonder if they can. To me it seems like those backdrops are set in stone.
    Well, no matter what they decide to do I think it's going to be weird. As TS4 is already. If you look at TS3 it's seamless seasons. In TS2 it is all lot based though you can set the hood to exclude particular ones etc. but still all lot based. TS4 is going to be the one that will seem weird because it will have to find middle ground between the two or just return to TS1 style and have different seasons in a particular vacation spots.

And then that would be weird, too, since we have already experienced TS2 and TS3 Season setups.

I actually wouldn't find the idea of different towns being in different seasons at the same time strange. In fact, I'd find it to be quite fun - say if they eventually allow players to buy second homes, I could buy a home in Brindleton Bay and move there whilst they're having summer to avoid the harsh winer of Windenberg. I feel this would definitely be able to be used to our advantage.
    I think it may depend on how you play the game, but when you play it like me (hopping up and down between the worlds with my sims) it would be strange. Going from winter to summer to autumn to spring.
    Sonia016 wrote: »
    I'm amazed to see so many people actually wants all weathers in all the worlds ;) the first choice ain't bad at all on a second thought. I remember I have sunlit tides in TS3 and very often I have to turn off winter season for that world because it just...wrong I guess :| have you guys been to maldives? just imagine that place snow....
    Sunlit Tides in fact has the most amazing winters of all the worlds available ;) (understand what you mean though, I’ve disabled that season in IP for the same reason)

(ETA, ahem, what @ChadSims2 says here)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

I would say yes, I wouldn't believe an old survey (2015) because since then we see/learned they don't actually produce packs in surveys (some of us wish they would like the extreme chaos/weather pack lol) but they take a few (very few) ideas from them and then throw those ideas in where they didn't really belong. But with all that said Feb. 2017 survey isn't old, that is earlier this year. ETA: And Summer Holiday Pack survey seems to match the beach pic Origin and TS4 had up this month on their site.

So, even when they state that they will not split seasons up, you think they are lying and are trying to make it happen? It's sad when faced with facts, some are still blind to the truth.
  • Options
    CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
    I myself could see all the locations still having weather. For example oasis springs can have a light dusting of snow, while places like windenburg will have a lot more snow. And I feel like fall affects all regions. Not to mention it should rain everywhere as that is usually a pretty common thing.
    Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
    It's a lot of fun!
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I can live with weather and seasons being different but not with the seasons coming separately of each other.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ElCaptainElCaptain Posts: 21 New Member
    I would not spend more money on each pack to get snow and rainy seasons locations or sunny vacation spot.
    I don't believe that will ever happen. That might be the dumbest decision you could honestly make when it comes to the seasons.

The reason I want weather is because it changes the scene a little bit every now and then. If it is always raining there, and always storming here nothing really changed. It just makes playing in certain areas annoying. Oh, and you want to go on vacation? Look at that it's snowing here, but as soon as you get back home it's as dry as it can be. Makes zero sense.

I won't be buying it if it were that restricted.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

So, even when they state that they will not split seasons up, you think they are lying and are trying to make it happen? It's sad when faced with facts, some are still blind to the truth.

Heehee. I might throw that back at ya, but you may be the one denying facts. There are two big surveys one in 2015 and one in 2017 asking if people would like those packs and to vote, even though yes, Daniel said he didn't think they would break up seasons. Now, if they don't intend to break up seasons into vacation spots only (with ability to earn a weather object or power to take back home) why do they keep asking? That would seem to debunk his belief they wouldn't because they sure keep asking to vote on which season/vacation spot players want more. (Winter or Summer vacation desitnations since they have never asked about a fall vacation spot).
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I'm perfectly happy to buy a pack for each weather related content and locations.
    I really doubt this would happen. But I always thought it would be a cool idea that they do it in game packs, 4 of them through the year, each one coming out for a different season. I'd buy that. It's gonna take a year to get the expansion pack anyway, I'd love to get winter weather next month.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    GARYZGAL wrote: »
    I really doubt this would happen. But I always thought it would be a cool idea that they do it in game packs, 4 of them through the year, each one coming out for a different season. I'd buy that. It's gonna take a year to get the expansion pack anyway, I'd love to get winter weather next month.

The Summer Holiday pack survey says kids are out of school. I wonder if players would enjoy that feature as a requirement for kids to not go to school for a few weeks. I always liked getting rid of my Sim kids. :D
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm perfectly happy to buy a pack for each weather related content and locations.

That’s because they won’t ever confirm that they are working on the EP. At least that’s how I read it.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member
    Yeah well, there are some places that can't be in some weather anyways and I also hope they do a merging between World Adventures and Seasons. As long as they aren't as pricey (those combined would price the same).

And I'd rather have a fully integrated Arctic than a random area with a bit of weather on it, like Granite Falls should never get snow, since it's IMO, a tropical climate. While some other, like Brindleton Bay will be raining quite a lot, which means sea waves raising, the number of stray pets lessen, or Oasis Spring where its less to no rain and no snow which constantly drains peoples "hidden drink" bar and makes them uncomfortable.

IF and a big if at that, it's like that, then yeah. I'd rather purchase each as standalone game pack. Besides it's a lot faster that way.

If it's just texture slapping with some added objects like TS3 is, then no, of course not.
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • Options

That’s because they won’t ever confirm that they are working on the EP. At least that’s how I read it.

Some of us wish they would stop putting out those surveys if they are never actually going to do the packs they say they want to know if people would like. What is the point of all that if they have yet to do any of them? It seems a waste of time to ask people to vote on a pack then they never do it, (if it wins) but just take some weird idea from it and throw it in somewhere else. Waste of money imo to pay a marketing team to take surveys on something they never intended to do to start with.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited January 2018
    Neia wrote: »
    @JoAnne65
    They also said :

@kremesch73
    If I remember right, they never said they can't make change to worlds. It was in a specific context, about changing the lot composition for example, which probably excludes landslide or canyon forming in the existing worlds and moving the lots, but the four seasons have never changed the size and the position of my home lot irl, so I bet my immersion won't be broken if they don't in Willow Creek either.

They would have to build different terrains to allow Sims to swim in an ocean like WB. I don't think they would do it and then they have said changing things in neighhborhoods could break saves. Their idea may be FX snow and not playable snow, we don't know. I don't think they would just make snow FX so existing worlds could have snow etc. but this is TS4 and they've made some weird choices I didn't think they ever would...like more of a mobile game than an actual multi million dollar pc game.

TS2 Seasons didn't have swimming in the ocean, so it's not required to make a Seasons EP (and I think TS2 Seasons was awesome ;))

It didn't need to add them then, we already had the ability to swim in our ponds and lakes as long as you understood how to build terrain around it to keep them from swimming across the lot. :) ETA: TS2 Sims could swim in water terrain paint.

That's not in the ocean though. Swimming in the ocean came with Bon Voyage.

Exactly a vacation EP. But summer means swimming in lakes, ponds and oceans for most who don't have those things near by. ETA: Point the code was already there to get them to swim in a water terrain paint. It's not in TS4.

Swimming in lakes isn't the only thing associated with summer, and we already have the natural pools. They could released a Seasons EP with seasons everywhere, and release a vacation EP or GP with swimmable area in the destination world.

Natural pond is an object is it not? I don't remember. AKA pool. I'm talking about terrain paint. You dig a hole in TS2 you add water terrain paint. They won't swim in it if it's just grass filling, painting a hole. We don't have the ability to dig a pond or lake in TS4. ETA: You don't use the water tool but can just dig a hole and paint it with water terrain paint.

I'm sorry but most associate summer with swimming anywhere, cooling off, vacations to beaches if you don't have local beach near by. If you can't swim in summer what is the purpose or what would some do that isn't in game now in summer? Not much to add other than the heat and the swimming in oceans and lakes, maybe boating or something or ski jets or something but that is the pass time of summer in the U.S. Boats, and swimming along with a few festivals like a holiday. Sunbathing has become passe since skin cancer is on the rise.

I'm talking about the natural pools that were introduced in GT. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say terrain paint. In TS2, all the tutorials I'm finding have like a dozen steps, with CFE cheat code and the like. That's hardly the kind of thing every user of TS2 Seasons was doing and, unsurprisingly, it wasn't shown in the promotional material for TS2 Seasons so swimming anywhere wasn't a main point of this EP and that didn't stop them from releasing the pack.

And there are lots of things they could add (and some they have added in TS2) for summer : new slides/diving board, new games in the swimming pool, relaxing and idling, lounge chairs, smaller telescope, new games in the garden (water fight), new sport activities (tennis, cycling, roller skating, etc). It's not like summer in TS2 Seasons was only about sunbathing.

Actually,no, you can dig a hole flatten the bottom download some water terrain paint, (or create your own) paint it and tell your Sim to get in. I did a tutorial back in the day under the name Wndy10010 how to make a swimable lake. You don't have to use the terrain cheat at all. And it was there before any EP. It is as simple as using the stairs method to build a basement or dig a basement.

Adding a new diving board and calling it new gameplay is a little bit lame in my opinion, o.k. a whole lot lame but I digress.

@jackjack_k you just answered your own questions when you replied to me. With the comment about it was because apartments were about living in a city.....point exactly. They want to take old ideas and give them new twists, so it stands to reason to me weather and seasons would have a twist, too, and possibly not be in every world if you use CL as an example.

If you need a tutorial to do it, you need to download/make CCs, and it's not shown in the promotional material, that's not really a main point of an EP ;) They were fine to sell us a Season EP in TS2 that didn't feature swimming everywhere, and they may very well do it again.

I mean, Seasons is a broad theme, so it's fairly easy to mix it with other themes that are related, like vacation with beach, skiing and the like. But that's certainly not the only way they could do it, and that's not the only way they did it in the past either.

Considering CL and the twist they put on apartments confined to only one city/world, what kind of twist to you think they will put on Seasons? I think (just an opinion) they will not build a system able to use in every world. I think they will do it just like TS1 and have snow in one location and sunny weather (beaches) in another. I wouldn't be surprised. ETA: Think about C&D it is also twisting Pets into only cats and dogs. I think we know before they release if we take a look at those examples.

No doubt there will be people disappointed about one thing or another, there's just no way they'll release a TS4 Seasons that encompass all TS2 Seasons + all TS3 Seasons + all the things people think would fit into a Season pack. ;)

I bet we won't have a new world (which may disappoint builders), so we probably won't have the seasonal festivals either, or a life state (sad supernatural players). There will most likely be a bunch of activities that won't make a come back either (whether that's face painting, snowboarding, marco polo or whatever, there will be some not included, and there will be some people missing those). Overall it will most likely be like all other EPs : a bunch of things I like, a bunch of things I miss and a bunch of things I don't care about.

We didn't get a new world with Sims 3 seasons, but we did get the seasonal festivals, either from the Exchange when developers built lots for the Store worlds, plus the seasonal marker for people to create their own seasonal lots. (One thing I never got around to trying was a summer carnival lot with things like the roller coaster from Roaring Heights and the carousel from the Store; that would have made an interesting addition.) If they can make the seasonal festivals different enough from the City Living festivals to avoid accusations of "recycling content" they could still have festivals of some sort. Maybe a festival lot that can be placed on a large lot and players can place it themselves and it triggers something different every season. Or it could be a destination lot like the hospital or police station. Some activities might not make it in Seasons but could be included in other packs -- for example, if we get an amusement park GP face painting could be in that instead, or maybe we ger skating (roller and ice) in an SP that focuses on that activity.

Some of the features in Sims 2 Seasons are already in the game -- we've already got gardening in base game (maybe add more produce?) and the wishing well (in Romantic Garden SP). The main thing we'd need would be for weather to affect plants and for a dormancy period unless you have the plants in a greenhouse, maybe possibly have automatic sprinklers for both outside and for inside the greenhouses.

But TS3 festivals were on lots, so that's a different system from TS4 and I don't see them doing an entire new system for something that would ultimately not feel like something completely new. Odds are the idea would feel recycled, while the system wouldn't be, so that seems quite unproductive.
    For those of you who think TS4 will have weather in all worlds including existing worlds already in game, do you think it will actually be seamless, and snowing in OS when your Sim leaves a snowy WC to visit Oasis Springs? Or do you think your Sim will have to pop out of that overcoat somehow when all you wanted to do was buy some groceries at a community lot you have in OS because you didn't have room for it in WC. :D Just wondering if they do add weather to all worlds if it would actually be seamless like time in the game. Since TS4 tries to stradle the fences between TS3 and TS2.

I think it may work like the day/night cycle : same hour everywhere and you'll get night or day depending on where you are. So you'll be on day 3 of the second quarter everywhere for example, and depending on the world, you'll end up with on the third day of the season that has been chosen for the second quarter in that world.
    At this point I'd like to ask the 13% that said they'd be perfectly happy with such a limited Seasons pack exactly what kind of content or pack they wouldn't buy.

That's fairly easy : anything around supernaturals, superheroes, or magic I most likely wouldn't buy. There's a lot of themes or features that don't interest me in the slighest : new life states, adventures, natural disasters, new death types, travelling into time, etc. And a lot I may or may not buy depending on their execution like university or superstar.
  • Options
    @Neia, not all festivals are on lots in TS3. I had many in the middle of town square (park) which I don't think was a lot or was it? lol I can't remember. They were held right in front of City Hall across the street in a park. I don't think that park area was actually a lot.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Neia, not all festivals are on lots in TS3. I had many in the middle of town square (park) which I don't think was a lot or was it? lol I can't remember. They were held right in front of City Hall across the street in a park. I don't think that park area was actually a lot.

The devs used the big park from each town and added the festival stuff to it. We had to remove the regular park and place the one the devs added to our library for that park or else add any park festival to the proper size empty lot in your town. We had to place them. They are in your library in Sims 3.

Or you could build your own - but at times the ones I built did not always work right - lol so I generally just changed out the park for the remake the devs added.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Yeah well, there are some places that can't be in some weather anyways and I also hope they do a merging between World Adventures and Seasons. As long as they aren't as pricey (those combined would price the same).

And I'd rather have a fully integrated Arctic than a random area with a bit of weather on it, like Granite Falls should never get snow, since it's IMO, a tropical climate. While some other, like Brindleton Bay will be raining quite a lot, which means sea waves raising, the number of stray pets lessen, or Oasis Spring where its less to no rain and no snow which constantly drains peoples "hidden drink" bar and makes them uncomfortable.

IF and a big if at that, it's like that, then yeah. I'd rather purchase each as standalone game pack. Besides it's a lot faster that way.

If it's just texture slapping with some added objects like TS3 is, then no, of course not.
    So, because in your opinion GF has a tropical climate, it should never get snow. Too bad for poor old me, because GF reminds me of the Rockies, snow in fact would fit there perfectly. Wouldn’t you agree it would be best if you could choose to have a tropical GF and me to have a snowy one? Options? Player’s choices?

Weather in Sims 3 is more than texture slapping by the way. Sims react to it and can interact with it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I never considered OR a tropical climate. I don't know it gave me the Northwest Bigfoot country vibe, I thought sure it was built with like Washington state or Oregon in mind. I'm not getting a tropical vibe from that pack at all.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited January 2018
    I didn't vote.
    This is the ONE expansion pack (that I canof right now), that I do not want to "Go back to the Root of The Sims". With Sims 1, this was the case for Seasons. They had a snowy mountain world where you could go to for vacations; and then a sunny tropical beach world as well.. if I remember correctly, that was the only seasons Sims 1 had.

While I know that The Sims 1 is what started this amazing game..and it was an incredible. It's 2018. The technology has changed so much since then. So, back then sure, those worlds were great because that was 'probably' the best the technology could do. But now.. we've seen what Seasons could be like with not only Sims 2 but Sims 3 as well. (And I loved both very much, but I really loved Sims 3 because of the festivals; and being able to have the options in both Sims 2 and Sims 3) for you to setup the worlds how you'd like them to.

Because.. even though.. snowing in Lucky Palms, or Sunlit Tides was really pretty. It was very unrealistic. So, I would love the option to have this happen, but also be able to opt-out for Oasis Springs to see Snow. That way if I wanted to, I could have Brindleton Bay, or some other world that comes out to snow a lot.. and Oasis Springs to only have Summer, but I want it to be a an option, as the player; I want to be able to have all the seasons in every world and not just specific ones, or separated. :/
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @OneAdorkableGirl I agree with you. When Seasons was released I was playing in Sunlit Tides at the moment time and I regretted that because it clearly wasn’t a winter world (or autumn world for that matter). Because the pack was new and I was curious I enabled everything anyway and boy I’ll never forget the moment it started to snow <3 It’s then that I decided Sims is not about reality per se and winter in Sunlit Tides stayed ;) (got it disabled for IP though)
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    You can go into options and uncheck what seasons you don't want. When I play Sunlit Tides, I only play with rain and sun. All other weather I uncheck.
  • Options
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    You can go into options and uncheck what seasons you don't want. When I play Sunlit Tides, I only play with rain and sun. All other weather I uncheck.
    Yes, and that for me is the way to go with weather. Let players decide what they want. Maybe I want to play in a tropical world that gets bewitched by an ice witch, turning it into eternal wintertime.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @OneAdorkableGirl I agree with you. When Seasons was released I was playing in Sunlit Tides at the moment and I regretted that because it clearly wasn’t a winter world (or autumn world for that matter). Because the pack was new and I was curious I enabled everything anyway and boy I’ll never forget the moment it started to snow <3 It’s then that I decided Sims is not about reality per se and winter in Sunlit Tides stayed ;) (got it disabled for IP though)

Mhmm - it's gorgeous and makes the water look really pretty too. White all around with beautiful blue clear water. <3 But looks funny because you got palm trees all around you, lol. I miss Seasons so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top