Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @friendsfan367 Care for a spam sandwich, sis? With a cup of tea?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @CathyTea aww gawsh so many compliments in one day! I think I'm going to eat a pot full of broccoli to keep them from getting to my head. :D
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Karilan wrote: »
    Aww thanks @CathyTea and @Karilan . (I'm not blushing) I've noticed that too with a lot of good art, where the artist pours in their emotion and energy, hence the work reflects them to some extent. My mother's favourite artist is Egon Schiele and it's obvious he does exactly that, which is why people either hate his work or love it. (Although, nobody particularly likes the person). XD

I've actually almost finished your sims, @Karilan. I was waiting for the right paper to arrive, which is why it's taken me a bit longer to finish them. They should be ready either tonight or tomorrow. :)

No rush! I disappeared for a few days following Purple Day (I think I needed extra time to grieve and accept it) so I didn't get to see your art before. It's really lovely!

Oh, golly, @Karilan. You know, I really relate to this. I don't think you've read my Goofy Love, have you? It's long, and quite old by now, so I can understand not. The experience of writing and playing it was so.... heart-wrenching. It really is a grieving process, a letting-go process... and then, by about Gen 6, with the post that ushered in Purple Day, I really just surrendered to the whole making-peace-with-mortality process, which, as I was in my mid-50s when I wrote it, and my boyfriend was approaching 70, felt very appropriate. It changed me, writing that.

So, it's really understandable to need a few days after you experience that in your story and game.

The Green Lady, Talula Green (I know, I'm subtle), in Friends of Foes, was actually the first sims 4 sim I ever created. Goodness that was a long time ago when sims 4 first came out. :D She was, would you believe it, an old person in the prologue - still looked like a teen to me and those set of pictures were taken a couple of years ago too, so she's been long dead, but I still catch myself talking about her as if she's still alive. Just did that today, talking to a friend about how she flirted like Kitty Hawkins from Mr Selfridge the tv series. XD I think what's really hard is seeing the next generation resemble them. Adrian has Talula's cheeky grin - and also flirts like Kitty Hawkins. :D But that's also the charm of the next generation, they remind you of the ones we lost.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @friendsfan367 sounds very complicated. :D
    @chalicen aww thank you. Good luck with becoming a full member and yes, it's always best to take things at your own pace, don't worry too much about your writing. If the story's good, which I'm sure it will be, there'll always be an audience on the forums. :) Furthermore, you know what all artists have in common? They're crippled with self-doubt, so that's a sign you're probably an amazing writer. :wink: In fact, you know who you remind me of? J.R.R Tolkien who also didn't like sharing his work and was still editing his books after publication. XD

its not compared to some things the benders made me write in other attempts. i just need to write it.

I love how you said "benders made me write" :D It's like you're their servant.

i tried telling Ayden no once. he must not have liked that he threw up. even though hes the oldest both of the trips and the kids in general hes the hardest to say no too.

He sounds like a charmer. :D

and the weirdest thing is it wasn't from bad food. i tested that later and he didn't throw up.i know it sounds made up but i never heard of it happening in anyone elses game.

okay this is a gross but watch family fued sometime some of those answers are worse.
  • Options
    @chalicen aww thank you. Good luck with becoming a full member and yes, it's always best to take things at your own pace, don't worry too much about your writing. If the story's good, which I'm sure it will be, there'll always be an audience on the forums. :) Furthermore, you know what all artists have in common? They're crippled with self-doubt, so that's a sign you're probably an amazing writer. :wink: In fact, you know who you remind me of? J.R.R Tolkien who also didn't like sharing his work and was still editing his books after publication. XD

its not compared to some things the benders made me write in other attempts. i just need to write it.

i tried telling Ayden no once. he must not have liked that he threw up. even though hes the oldest both of the trips and the kids in general hes the hardest to say no too.

and the weirdest thing is it wasn't from bad food. i tested that later and he didn't throw up.i know it sounds made up but i never heard of it happening in anyone elses game.

okay this is a gross but watch family fued sometime some of those answers are worse.

Well, in a way, he gets his comeuppance. He's forced fed bad food by the watcher. :D
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Aww thanks @CathyTea and @Karilan . (I'm not blushing) I've noticed that too with a lot of good art, where the artist pours in their emotion and energy, hence the work reflects them to some extent. My mother's favourite artist is Egon Schiele and it's obvious he does exactly that, which is why people either hate his work or love it. (Although, nobody particularly likes the person). XD

I've actually almost finished your sims, @Karilan. I was waiting for the right paper to arrive, which is why it's taken me a bit longer to finish them. They should be ready either tonight or tomorrow. :)

No rush! I disappeared for a few days following Purple Day (I think I needed extra time to grieve and accept it) so I didn't get to see your art before. It's really lovely!

Oh, golly, @Karilan. You know, I really relate to this. I don't think you've read my Goofy Love, have you? It's long, and quite old by now, so I can understand not. The experience of writing and playing it was so.... heart-wrenching. It really is a grieving process, a letting-go process... and then, by about Gen 6, with the post that ushered in Purple Day, I really just surrendered to the whole making-peace-with-mortality process, which, as I was in my mid-50s when I wrote it, and my boyfriend was approaching 70, felt very appropriate. It changed me, writing that.

So, it's really understandable to need a few days after you experience that in your story and game.

I can hardly imagine how difficult that was for you, but helpful too! I haven't read Goofy Love yet. It was one of the two you suggested starting with and is still on my list! I was so excited to finish reading Septemus, and now Lighthouse has kind of jumped ahead of Goofy Love a bit. I've heard so much about it that I can't wait to jump in.

I think the timing of losing both Beth and Brooke around Purple Day was too much for me and I know it showed in my writing. I found it difficult to be thankful for what her time meant to me when the loss was so raw. I've had a week to reflect now and I'm feeling better. Cam's perspective is shifting too, thanks to me refocusing, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming chapters and introducing some new story lines. Nooboos help! <3
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    chalicen wrote: »
    Ahhhh it's like it's less painful and scary to have no readers than to have people looking at my frankly terrible writing ><
    But thanks all for the advice and understanding. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage... Maybe.... Hopefully.

I read a lot of work! I'm probably following... I don't know, maybe over 100 SimLit blogs? Maybe more? I find the stories I truly love aren't necessarily the most technically perfect, or written by the most experienced writers (though some of the stories I love are superb in every category! :)<3 ).What draws me to a work is authenticity, love, honesty, sharing an individual's experience of the world, and being true. Those stories always grab me for they feel real, and I will not mind technical limitations or stylistic lapses, for I'm reading for the spirit! And if the spirit's true, the work works! :)

i must be in the not technically perfect category. wp tells me i spell ayden wrong. and i have spelled it the way the game does since he was born. the first time.

That's how it's spelled! Ayden! WordPress uses the standard American English dictionary, so it marks as not correct lots of words that are; they're just not standard spelling, like the name Ayden!

Is it Wordpress that does that? I write on my Mac at work, but then edit on my PC at home. Wordpress often thinks I'm wrong depending on how I change things so I figured it was a Mac/PC issue!

WordPress has its own spell-check, and it's rather limited. I'm constantly using words (generally scientific, but sometimes other Latinates), which it doesn't like, so I'm having to dash off to google to check the spelling.
    WordPress usually tells me I'm spelling stud wrong... but they're generally simlish words or character names, so I just ignore it :D
  • Options

Well, in a way, he gets his comeuppance. He's forced fed bad food by the watcher. :D

but he didn't throw up then. so that was not my fault he threw up because his wife cheated and i had him do it back and he liked the new woman more but i had pulled him back to his wife,

so the first and only time. he got up from bed in the night and ran to the bathroom and threw up. after we. me and ayden got in tiny argument i put him with the new girl and it didn't happen after that.

sissy loves elsa so even though i tell the story a lot i leave a lot out. because i love sissy. cathtea in case your confused.
  • Options

but he didn't throw up then. so that was not my fault he threw up because his wife cheated and i had him do it back and he liked the new woman more but i had pulled him back to his wife,

so the first and only time. he got up from bed in the night and ran to the bathroom and threw up. after we. me and ayden got in tiny argument i put him with the new girl and it didn't happen after that.

sissy loves elsa so even though i tell the story a lot i leave a lot out. because i love sissy. cathtea in case your confused.

I know who sissy is. :wink: That's weird. Maybe after that particular incident, no other food will ever be as bad as that again.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I know who sissy is. :wink: That's weird. Maybe after that particular incident, no other food will ever be as bad as that again.

no it was him trying to guilt me. i told you he loves getting his way but i love sissy who loves elsa who ayden was married too. but elsa made a mistake and ayden got revenge and the next thing i knew he was sick. i'm convinced he was lovesick. because after i caved and gave in it never happened again.
  • Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    Ahhhh it's like it's less painful and scary to have no readers than to have people looking at my frankly terrible writing ><
    But thanks all for the advice and understanding. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage... Maybe.... Hopefully.

I read a lot of work! I'm probably following... I don't know, maybe over 100 SimLit blogs? Maybe more? I find the stories I truly love aren't necessarily the most technically perfect, or written by the most experienced writers (though some of the stories I love are superb in every category! :)<3 ).What draws me to a work is authenticity, love, honesty, sharing an individual's experience of the world, and being true. Those stories always grab me for they feel real, and I will not mind technical limitations or stylistic lapses, for I'm reading for the spirit! And if the spirit's true, the work works! :)

i must be in the not technically perfect category. wp tells me i spell ayden wrong. and i have spelled it the way the game does since he was born. the first time.

That's how it's spelled! Ayden! WordPress uses the standard American English dictionary, so it marks as not correct lots of words that are; they're just not standard spelling, like the name Ayden!

Is it Wordpress that does that? I write on my Mac at work, but then edit on my PC at home. Wordpress often thinks I'm wrong depending on how I change things so I figured it was a Mac/PC issue!

WordPress has its own spell-check, and it's rather limited. I'm constantly using words (generally scientific, but sometimes other Latinates), which it doesn't like, so I'm having to dash off to google to check the spelling.
    WordPress usually tells me I'm spelling stud wrong... but they're generally simlish words or character names, so I just ignore it :D

isn't there only one way to spell stud? it has two meanings but only one spelling i think.
  • Options

no it was him trying to guilt me. i told you he loves getting his way but i love sissy who loves elsa who ayden was married too. but elsa made a mistake and ayden got revenge and the next thing i knew he was sick. i'm convinced he was lovesick. because after i caved and gave in it never happened again.

@friendsfan367 Ohhh, now I get it. (Light bulb!) Oh dear, not enough love coming his way from Elsa. Are things better now between the two?
  • Options

@friendsfan367 Ohhh, now I get it. (Light bulb!) Oh dear, not enough love coming his way from Elsa. Are things better now between the two?

right now hes still in diapers because i haven't played that much.
  • Options

@friendsfan367 oh so in one save he's an adult, in the other he's a baby? Or is he an adult in sissy's game? Or was he never an adult and I've completely got my knickers in a twist. :D
  • Options

@friendsfan367 oh so in one save he's an adult, in the other he's a baby? Or is he an adult in sissy's game? Or was he never an adult and I've completely got my knickers in a twist. :D

i don't want to confuse my readers but yes. but the save i'm using is when hes a toddler.
  • Options

i don't want to confuse my readers but yes. but the save i'm using is when hes a toddler.

@friendsfan367 oh right. That makes sense. :)
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member

isn't there only one way to spell stud? it has two meanings but only one spelling i think.
    Whoops, that was an autocorrect error... I meant to say stuff
  • Options

Whoops, that was an autocorrect error... I meant to say stuff

lol autocorrect is funny. did you ever tell your family your news you said you would at thaksgiving.
  • Options
    PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    I know what I wanna write for my next two legacy chapters but I don't know how to put it into words. Gah.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • Options
    I know what I wanna write for my next two legacy chapters but I don't know how to put it into words. Gah.

thats what i'm stuck on . noel and lauren had the triplets before i was ready.
  • Options
    PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2017
    @friendsfan367
    There's a proposal incoming next chapter, I'm just not 100% sure how the proposer would word it as he's talking, which is part of what's holding me back. Plus I had to delete most of my CAS CC (except for my default replacement skin and eyes) so I have to give my characters slight makeovers between chapters - not awful, but annoying nonetheless.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • Options
    @PurplishSimEater Ahhh I know that feeling. I tend to have it when I want to express something deep but don't know how to write it because there's so much emotion in what I want to write, so I tend to draw it instead and it turns out all contorted and ugly and depressing when it's supposed to look beautiful, but I suppose emotion isn't beautiful, it's passionate.

I've recently checked out your legacy. I really like how straight-forward you made the layout. Makes it easier to navigate. Love your legacy founder. :)
  • Options

She totally is. Ayden has her wrapped around his digital finger! (Ha! Get it? Digit? Finger?)

yes i get it. i would use jes favorite emoji but its totally true and ayden knows that. but he also knows i love him. so he can get away with throwing me completly out of my comfort zone. i can't say no.

:p just showing jes favorite emoji.
  • Options

She totally is. Ayden has her wrapped around his digital finger! (Ha! Get it? Digit? Finger?)

yes i get it. i would use jes favorite emoji but its totally true and ayden knows that. but he also knows i love him. so he can get away with throwing me completly out of my comfort zone. i can't say no.

:p just showing jes favorite emoji.

Unconditional love <3
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,126 Member

Sometimes I think the WordPress stats page promotes dysfunction among bloggers.

I've had to go through lots of internal adjustments in order to get it to be productive for me. At present, I'm at a point where I can view it with curiosity, feeling interested in the trends. But I had to definitely set some limits and learn how to unhook from it. For a while, it was driving me in an unhealthy way.

@CathyTea

^Ditto. I have to remind myself the real reason why I write. It's because I enjoy it! And it's not all about who follows it or is a "fan." (Even though they are a nice plus ;) ) I think all of us writers have allowed those stats to drive us in an unhealthy way. You aren't alone. {{{{Hugs}}}}

I love this thread! I just discovered it and it's very inspiring. :star:

For me right now it's my depression that's interfering with my writing.....dang depression. :weary: Even on meds, which are VERY helpful, I still have down times and it can take a while sometimes to get out of the funk.

Another thing is I've hit a brick wall in my story of sorts.
    There's a big event that I have all planned out in my head, but now I can't figure out which way to go in making it happen...without giving out clues or a spoiler to the main event while doing so. Does that make sense?

I do have a tip that's been very helpful for me in the past...

I know it can be very exciting to write up your story chapter and quickly get it posted for your reader's enjoyment, however, if something doesn't feel write right or is not quite perfect in the chapter, step away from it and sleep on it. The next day you can go back to the story and edit/add to it with a refreshed mind. You'll realize that you can write that little scene exactly the way you intended to, when you couldn't before. ;)

Anyway, if any of you are interested in checking out two of my favorite stories (My Sam Beckett story I am still currently working on) click on the link in my signature to reach my blog. :blush: I always hope readers enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it. <3

Remember, you're ALL amazing and have a wonderful talent! <3

:star: Happy writing everyone! :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg