Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever complained about a previous instalment of The Sims (Not including complaints on bugs).

ari100ari100 Posts: 74 Member
edited November 2017 in Off Topic Chat
I have seen a few people post that the constant complaints are not new to the Sims 4. That a lot of people continually complained about previous instalments of the Sims, namely Sims 3. Sims 3 had its problems and I did see complaints on the bugs and freezing. But on the actual game I didn't really see many, if any complaints. I preferred Sims 2 over sims 3, but I couldn't deny TS3s huge step forward and I just didn't consider complaining. With the Sims 4, every direction I turn there are complaints about pretty much all aspects of the game.

So I'm just curious and wanted to do a poll on if you have complained formally or informally, in conversation or online for other instalments of The Sims, as a game. Not including complaints on bugs/freezing, as these are riddled throughout pretty much all of the Sims instalments. I would appreciate your reasoning as to why you did/didn't complain.

Have you ever complained about a previous instalment of The Sims (Not including complaints on bugs). 55 votes

Yes, I have complained about at least one previous instalment of The Sims.
23%
VibseWritin_RegkwanzaabotPegasysTadOlsonmintycupcakeAngelEb95SimsLovinLycanBambooramworldofdrakanking_of_simcity7naniagustd 13 votes
Yes, I have complained about multiple instalments of The Sims, including The Sims 4.
29%
Simburiandrake_mccartySeera1024ApparentlyAwesomeCinebarInfraGreenwendelynesillyangel0906KelvinWonderAisStrawberryYogurtSoapSudsallieb028PlainevilVromanceAeyella 16 votes
Yes, I have complained about previous instalments of The Sims, but not The Sims 4.
1%
Giorgi 1 vote
No, I have never complained about any instalments of The Sims.
9%
simgirl1010JoAnne65Sonata13SingerlisalittlesimmerCharliecheesenurgers 5 votes
No, I have only complained about The Sims 4.
36%
auroraael14icmnfrshAprilDawnRukola_Schaafdreamerz13link4566SimplyJenRockleyfamilyFelicityInternal_Chaoscactusjuiceari100MidnightAuraFaridahDyingLightJordan061102ShadowmarkedRnM92EnderGamer87DreamaDove 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    ari100 wrote: »
    Sims 3 had its problems and I did see complaints on the bugs and freezing. But on the actual game I didn't really see many, if any complaints.

Why do complaints about bugs and performance just... not matter?
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Yes, I have complained about multiple instalments of The Sims, including The Sims 4.
    Yes. I've complained about all of them. Reasons would range from disappointment of a pack to just not being a big fan of the Sim appearances in 3.

But yes, a majority of my complaints did stem from bugs, lag, glitches, etc.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,075 Member
    I've commented on features I'd like to see but never really had any complaints.
  • Options
    AeyellaAeyella Posts: 26 Member
    i complained very much about 3 and 4. personally i think the only people who like those are people with bad taste. i never complained about 2 though :) perfect game
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    The sims 4 is really the only one I've had complaints with. It was also the first sims game out of all four that I wasn't excited for and did not buy or pre-order the day it came out. It didn't feel like a step forward to me and the sims 3 had everything I needed at that point. The sims 4 has improved in just the last year though. I still get bored pretty fast but I am getting more excited to see what new packs are going to come out. I also love the toddlers and the new parenthood pack. It still is missing a lot of key features and still falls short of my expectations but I play all the sims games on rotation and this help with not getting bored and I really do enjoy each of them in their own way.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Sims 2 with an open world would have (could still be) the ultimate Sims games for me...
  • Options
    Aeyella wrote: »
    i complained very much about 3 and 4. personally i think the only people who like those are people with bad taste. i never complained about 2 though :) perfect game

Remember this?
    I thought GT was a great expansion pack. Did a good job adding lasting content that appeals to a variety of simmers, and a beautiful world. The club system was very innovative, we've never had anything quite like that in the series.. and when used properly it can add so much life to your game.
  • Options
    AeyellaAeyella Posts: 26 Member
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > Aeyella wrote: »
    >
    > i complained very much about 3 and 4. personally i think the only people who like those are people with bad taste. i never complained about 2 though :) perfect game
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Remember this?
    > I thought GT was a great expansion pack. Did a good job adding lasting content that appeals to a variety of simmers, and a beautiful world. The club system was very innovative, we've never had anything quite like that in the series.. and when used properly it can add so much life to your game.

Yes I do! Having complaints about a series doesn't mean I'm incapable of acknowledging anything good about it. The club system and world from GT was fresh and new for the sims 4 and I thought it was one of the only good and innovative ideas that series bought to the franchise.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2017
    I complained big time when they added Securom to Sims 2 mid way through development (Bon Voyage) because it damaged my pc. Also at the same time, also with no warning to any players, they changed the game from CD's to dvd's at a time when DVD players had just came out and hardly anyone had one - so to play the game everyone had to go buy a dvd player. On top of it some dvd players got damaged by the over controlling, damaging Securom they added to the game - with no warning to anyone. I went through 4 brand new and then expensive dvd players and a harddrive thanks to that - many of us did. So yeah I complained - in fact we complained so much and in so big number along with the Spore players and the Mass Effect players - as they did it to all of us - anyway it was known as the Securom 7 Debacle there was so much uproar going on about it. Lol.

I also complained of no drveable cars and no toddlers in Sims 4 - which they fixed the toddlers anyway and I now understand why there is no cars - so I no longer complain about those. I also complained of small worlds in 4 - but it's not game breaking - so, so be it.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Yeah, I was very vocal about my dislike for TS3. Big world, big game, about as deep as a puddle.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    Aeyella wrote: »
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > Aeyella wrote: »
    >
    > i complained very much about 3 and 4. personally i think the only people who like those are people with bad taste. i never complained about 2 though :) perfect game
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Remember this?
    > I thought GT was a great expansion pack. Did a good job adding lasting content that appeals to a variety of simmers, and a beautiful world. The club system was very innovative, we've never had anything quite like that in the series.. and when used properly it can add so much life to your game.

Yes I do! Having complaints about a series doesn't mean I'm incapable of acknowledging anything good about it. The club system and world from GT was fresh and new for the sims 4 and I thought it was one of the only good and innovative ideas that series bought to the franchise.

Oh. So GT is an exception for those with bad taste. Got it. :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that everyone has complained about something to do with The Sims before. Even TS1 used to get some stick from time to time.

I used to complain about my Sims dying in fires a lot
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2017
    Meh, I clicked the wrong one. Should have been ‘never except for Sims 4’. Can’t redo it unfortunately. Anyway, no, I’ve never complained about Sims 3, even its bugs I’ve always endured like a boss. Because my love for the game overshadows the downsides. In Sims 4 it’s the other way around (for me, obviously).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited November 2017
    I just complained about TS4. There's so many things to do in TS2 & TS3, so I can't see where's the empty. On other side, for TS4, me & a lot of people are happy with each little details & things, cause the game don't have enough to give, & it's the proof that TS4 is empty. In the previous games, there was so many things that even after 6 years I still discover new things in TS3.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2017
    Of course. Nothing is perfect. I have complained about something in gameplay in all of them. But you have to remember the older sites (before TS3) didn't have a feedback section.

So, discussions were not setup the way they are now. But yes, the silly hobby idles added in TS2 (after FT, disliked that EP), the 'greet Sim' action in AL in TS2, which ruined the gameplay imho/having to greet everyone before you could even wait on them in a business, or talk to them..new to TS2, hated it. The AL townies, couldn't stand them or their clothes. People complained about Sims doing the inline dancing after taking a vacation, and the BV townies, everywhere after the EP installed. People made long lists of things they wanted changed in TS2 that drove them crazy..we didn't have feedback category. MATY's made fun of TS2 every day and of EA. Thus, the reason all his mods existed in the first place. Berated Maxis daily.

TS3, yes, very vocal over there..many couldn't stand me because I brought up stuff they ignored. :o:D

The Sims, many complained about lots of stuff, children never aging, crib babies, motives were not easily filled, that's why we had cheat threads.

TS4 has not been treated as badly as people think, nor Maxis, there have been plenty of people who have smirked, smarted off, and pointed out what is wrong in all of them. And modders were not very kind when saying so. So, thinking TS4 gets a lot of flack just isn't true. They all did.

And the Simming community just about blew apart (and actually it did, many left never to return to TS2 nor buy TS3 or any other game) after Securom, it tore the Simming community and Maxis customers apart. *(Sued) that's why TS3 didn't contain it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have not only complained about TS4. There are some features in TS3 that I absolutely cannot stand. For one, I hate the memory system. Burned your food? Memory! Unclogged a toilet? Memory! Sure, you could turn the memory notifications off (thank goodness), but the memories would still be in the Sim's album. Also, inactive Sims can get memories as well, and they all take up space on your save file! It wasn't until Seasons that they finally let us totally disable memories.

Speaking of memories, I also hated how they would get a memory every time they saw a ghost. Not only that, but they would always drop everything they were doing to gawk at said ghost. Sure, seeing a ghost is pretty significant, but not when the ghosts are residents of the town. I'm looking at you, residents of Moonlight Falls and Midnight Hollow!

And don't even get me started on the punishment system! Good lord, that was a mess! No joke, one time I played a single mother and her teenage daughter. The mother got pregnant and eventually went into labor, so I had her daughter drive her to the hospital. The only problem is, this was late at night, so a cop showed up while the daughter was in the hospital with her mom, forcibly dragged her out of the hospital, and took her home for being out past curfew. The kicker? When her mom got home with the baby, she scolded her and grounded her! I could not cancel this action and was completely unable to do a thing about it as she did this. Yup, we could not decide when the parents could scold and ground their children. When they decide that they're going to do it, it's totally impossible to cancel the action. Not to mention, when the children and teens were grounded, they couldn't even go to school! It should be noted that skipping school also causes grounding, so not only would their school performance take a hit, but the parents would also extend the grounding!

And then there's the celebrity system. Even if your Sim should become a celebrity by complete accident, they're still able to be subjected to so-called scandals. A lot of the potential "scandals" make no sense, either. For example, becoming the subject of a scandal for supposedly "woohooing with a member of the occult," despite many of the residents already being Supernaturals. To me, this just always came across as the human Sims being racist against Supernaturals. When Sims become the target of these scandals, they get this negative moodlet and get booed at by just about every other Sim they pass by. It was super annoying!

So yeah, I have never exclusively complained about TS4.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I have not only complained about TS4. There are some features in TS3 that I absolutely cannot stand. For one, I hate the memory system. Burned your food? Memory! Unclogged a toilet? Memory! Sure, you could turn the memory notifications off (thank goodness), but the memories would still be in the Sim's album. Also, inactive Sims can get memories as well, and they all take up space on your save file! It wasn't until Seasons that they finally let us totally disable memories.

Speaking of memories, I also hated how they would get a memory every time they saw a ghost. Not only that, but they would always drop everything they were doing to gawk at said ghost. Sure, seeing a ghost is pretty significant, but not when the ghosts are residents of the town. I'm looking at you, residents of Moonlight Falls and Midnight Hollow!

And don't even get me started on the punishment system! Good lord, that was a mess! No joke, one time I played a single mother and her teenage daughter. The mother got pregnant and eventually went into labor, so I had her daughter drive her to the hospital. The only problem is, this was late at night, so a cop showed up while the daughter was in the hospital with her mom, forcibly dragged her out of the hospital, and took her home for being out past curfew. The kicker? When her mom got home with the baby, she scolded her and grounded her! I could not cancel this action and was completely unable to do a thing about it as she did this. Yup, we could not decide when the parents could scold and ground their children. When they decide that they're going to do it, it's totally impossible to cancel the action. Not to mention, when the children and teens were grounded, they couldn't even go to school! It should be noted that skipping school also causes grounding, so not only would their school performance take a hit, but the parents would also extend the grounding!

And then there's the celebrity system. Even if your Sim should become a celebrity by complete accident, they're still able to be subjected to so-called scandals. A lot of the potential "scandals" make no sense, either. For example, becoming the subject of a scandal for supposedly "woohooing with a member of the occult," despite many of the residents already being Supernaturals. To me, this just always came across as the human Sims being racist against Supernaturals. When Sims become the target of these scandals, they get this negative moodlet and get booed at by just about every other Sim they pass by. It was super annoying!

So yeah, I have never exclusively complained about TS4.

You can delete the memories in the album or even chose not to save them in Sims 3. Sims 3 is really all about choices - which people claim Sims 4 seriously doesn't have and can't be rectified - keep that in mind. So I do see their point anyway.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited November 2017
    If you've seen some of my posts on the subject, I've absolutely complained about TS2...particularly the inflexibility of family play in that game. The Social Worker is so overzealous that it's impossible to play a family with latchkey kids and working parents, the Nanny is a lazy mooch of an NPC, Toddlers are bland babydolls, Children are too helpless for school-aged human beings, Adult sims are prone to leave the babies all over the floor if you don't make darn sure that they put them back in the crib after taking care of their needs, and let's not forget the universal hard curfews that the game imposes on Child and Teen sims. Basically, like many people feel like TS4 is too fast and loose with what sub-adult sims can and can't do, I feel like TS2 was far too restrictive and played it too safe with sub-adult sims. TS2 is an awesome game, but family play in TS2 for me is far too rigid, like the game is trying to force you to play one of a small handful of ideal family structures or be punished for "not familying right." I'm so glad that TS4 is so much more open and flexible about family structure and the abilities of younger sims...especially the bang-up job they did with Toddlers!

(P.S.: I would have picked option 2, but my hand slipped...)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    To me thats one of the major problems with Sims 4 - They did a bang up job with toddlers.... and nothing else.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I loved Sims 3, but I started it later in the series and I asked for advice on a gamers forum before buying it. Back then, fans were very much split between Sims 2 and Sims 3. Anyway, I modded the game before playing it (started with Awesome Mod and then moved to NRaas) so I missed a lot of the bugs that other people complained about.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,430 Member
    Just simple critiques.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I've encountered a lot of bugs in The Sims 3 (including one that was never fixed so I had to download a mod for it). But content-wise, I never really complained. There was also the SecuROM debacle back in the Sims 2 days, but I wasn't personally affected, so I didn't complain at the time either.

I have complained about TS4 before toddlers were patched in and the culling issues were rampant. I didn't play it for over 2 years. The only reason I gave it another chance was the toddler patch and overall improvement it had undergone in 2017. It's still far from perfect, and some things will probably never come like open or modifiable worlds, but it's somewhat decent now at least, with maybe some improvements needed in certain areas.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I wish this had been left in feedback to get more attention and responses because I was interested in the answers. But to answer the question, yes, I have. While I do have issues with them not fixing bugs and then moving on to the next game there have actually been few things I've complained about beyond bugs. I think TS4 is the first time I've actually had this much of an issue with a Sims game.

Sims 3 is my favorite one, hands down. I like the art style, I like CASt, I like the open world, I like how much overall freedom I had and it's as close to a perfect Sims game as it's gotten for me. Ignoring the few bugs I experienced like with the sports players in the school/stadium buildings and the adventure board, I really only ever had two things I complained about with it: The attraction system and unroutable terrain that we couldn't make routable in edit town mode.

It's been a minute since I've steadily played The Sims 2 but I recall my biggest issue being that I couldn't change the color of anything. I was always thinking like, 'Oh, this shirt would be perfect, if only it was light blue,' or 'This would be the perfect paneling if only it were darker and richer in color'. I hated almost every preset there was because the colors were too off for what I had in mind. Usually too dull and boring for my taste. And it was hard to make choices furniture wise because nothing matched. I didn't use CC back then either so it was rough creatively for me.

Other things I also had issues with in The Sims series in general were things like never being able to choose how old our sims are in CAS (how many days till aging) and not being able to have the number of desired sims in a household or have as many sims in a town as I would like.

The Sims 4 though, this is the first time I've had an issue with the actual sims. They all act alike. I can create what are supposed to be two different sims and they'll act just alike because of the emotions system. That's worse than the attraction system for me. There are many other things I'm sure I've complained about too like the lack of customization, no toddlers in the beginning, etc.

The reason I do complain is in hopes of making the next pack or the next game in the franchise better and in hopes that they'll come here and have a feedback discussion with us on the game current or upcoming. I'm doubtful they will, but I'll keep speaking out in hopes that they will surprise us doubtful players and do so. I don't know if they ever reopened that Ask a Guru Game Development thread but I still have questions I'd love to ask and I've seen so many great threads of players just bouncing around ideas, I think it'd be cool to have the gurus in on them as well and talking with us about ideas and things.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    allieb028allieb028 Posts: 44 Member
    I've never complained about TS2 because that's perfection in my eyes. I wish they would just combine TS2 and TS4 together and then problem solved. I would keep the CAS of sims 4 but have the gameplay and storyline of The Sims 2. I loved The Sims 3 too with the whole cars and open feel of it. But at time's it can get super laggy and not work correctly, even with high performing computers. So yea, I have complained about TS3 to an extent, and The Sims 4 just feels very limited and could have so much more potential.
  • Options
    ari100ari100 Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, it is very insightful. Yes "ApparentlyAwesome" I should have put this in feedback. I only joined a week ago and I am not sure when starting discussion or polls where to put them when it's not super obvious.

I guess I was pretty young when playing TS1 so maybe I just took the game as it was. I loved TS2 as well. TS3 I did feel was as "deep as a puddle" to quote "Kwanzaabot". But regardless of my own subjective opinions, I felt each game was a step forward, up until TS4. In all the previous instalments even if I personally didn't like a feature, I felt that it was a personal preference. I never felt that EA intentionally left out beloved features, or any huge features. In previous instalments it felt like changes were an actual 'design choice', which can be a hit or miss. But at least I saw their effort (or devs were given enough time and budget to create those features).

With TS4 I don't feel that way. I feel like they haven't taken a step forward. I feel like they have taken 3 steps back. I complain about TS4 because they didn't include so many features, not just because I don't personally agree with some of their choices of the features they did include (although some of their choices do seem ridiculous to me as well). I think so many things are lacking, missing or incomplete. For the first time in a Sims series, I feel we are paying full price for the beta version of the game. Or even alpha for some aspects like the world backdrop. I remember a youtuber once said when they saw screenshots of the world they thought it was still in its alpha stage.

There will always be people who complain about everything. But with TS4 I think there are legitimate concerns. Maybe this poll will show that. But very interesting to hear from everyone.