Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is doing good

TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
"Andrew Wilson, CEO of EA, announced yesterday that The Sims 4 saw monthly active players increase 40% year-over-year FY18 Q2, and stated that The Sims 4 was a major driver in the growth of the quarter. Additional text from the call below."

https://simsvip.com/2017/11/01/electronic-arts-earnings-call-ea-talks-sims-mobile-console-sims-4/

Comments

• Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm always struck by these sort of posts, if it's doing so, so, so much better than release, then where is Seasons? Where is ten new traits and aspirations? Ten new worlds, you know...TS3 was doing so well, too and it was killing it by this time.

ETA: Forgive me if I think this should all result in bigger and better, more EPs not smaller EPs and less stuff. You know, more money? great...means bigger budget, more stuff, more depth, more worlds, more building tools...right? Nope

I thought it was already well known that the lack of EPs is caused by the closure of the salt lake studio
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, I wish they'd use that additional revenue then to expand their team and toss us an extra EP each year, in addition to making the game as stable and bug-free as possible. The GPs are great and all, but content-wise, two GPs combined still don't amount to the content of an EP.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I'm always struck by these sort of posts, if it's doing so, so, so much better than release, then where is Seasons? Where is ten new traits and aspirations? Ten new worlds, you know...TS3 was doing so well, too and it was killing it by this time.

ETA: Forgive me if I think this should all result in bigger and better, more EPs not smaller EPs and less stuff. You know, more money? great...means bigger budget, more stuff, more depth, more worlds, more building tools...right? Nope

I thought it was already well known that the lack of EPs is caused by the closure of the salt lake studio

Better, and more money should equal hire another team to pump out two EPs a year. But it never happens that way for TS4 no matter how much they brag it's doing great, compared to what? TS3? Because it never results in more teams working on more things and more content for players.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,617 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »

They closed the studio here? :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2017
    alan650111 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is a definite hit and might have longest life of any iterations if it keeps this up. Of course there are going to be the barrage of comments forthcoming that EA is lying about Sims 4's success. I don't understand people who do that. We should be happy that a franchise we love so much is doing so well! This is a game released at the end of 2014 that is still going stronger than ever! I can almost guarantee we will be seeing Seasons and past expansions that were greatly popular. I agree that I wish expansions were released more than once a year. However, I really hope we have excess game packs next year as I love how those delve into one area of the game in great detail.

We were all happy TS3 sold over $24million in just store content let alone game/EPs etc. We all thought that would lead to a big fat budget for TS4 and TS4 would be the best game eva, but some say it all went toward Titanfall so be careful what you wish. TS5 may not benefit at all from the sales of TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    “Sims 4 is doing good”... as compared to what?
    If you rate it on a scale of terrible, bad, fair, good, very good, and excellent, yeah, I might rate it good (and that is being nice, IMO). There certainly is a lot of room for improvement!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    this is good news because this means we'll continue to get more content and a Sims 5 will be more likely to be developed. : 3 thanks for posting, OP.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Yes for Sims 4! My favorite of the series. The best one for my storytelling. And @ehaught58, why not read the article and see for yourself what is meant by doing well. I don't understand why those of you who make it a point to say how much Sims 4 disappoints you continue to show up here to complain. I hated Sims 3 with a passion, but I never went to the forum to dump on it and it's fans. Why do all of you keep doing this? And don't tell me it is to "make the game better", if by better you mean, more like Sims 3 or Sims 2. I am not going to argue about what someone prefers. We are all different people. But I truly don't understand the continued rants and complaints toward something others are enjoying.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    edited November 2017
    Sims 4 is life <3
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Great news!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think it Sims 4 has attracted a lot of new players and interest because of the current playstyle of the game. I still consider it lackluster and this doesn't mean anything to me. However like another commentor mentioned, if it is really more successful than I imagine there still is hope for a Sims 5. On the other hand, if it is quite successful im afraid the next iteration will be similar. If it is, I'd consider myself done with the sims franchise.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited November 2017

That's kind of the issue.

Good sales =/= Better quality or quantity on our end. If any of us had an opportunity to sit down with the upper management responsible for calling the shots, we could certainly use it as an argument to - for example - hire a second team to produce EPs, but it certainly doesn't look like they plan on doing any of that on their own...
    alan650111 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is a definite hit and might have longest life of any iterations if it keeps this up. Of course there are going to be the barrage of comments forthcoming that EA is lying about Sims 4's success. I don't understand people who do that. We should be happy that a franchise we love so much is doing so well! This is a game released at the end of 2014 that is still going stronger than ever! I can almost guarantee we will be seeing Seasons and past expansions that were greatly popular. I agree that I wish expansions were released more than once a year. However, I really hope we have excess game packs next year as I love how those delve into one area of the game in great detail.

We were all happy TS3 sold over $24million in just store content let alone game/EPs etc. We all thought that would lead to a big fat budget for TS4 and TS4 would be the best game eva, but some say it all went toward Titanfall so be careful what you wish. TS5 may not benefit at all from the sales of TS4.

I wish I had the quote on hand, but I recall reading an article where an EA employee explicitly stated that the earnings from Sims 3 were used to make and promote another game. I don't think it was Titanfall, but yes the earnings from Sims might get funneled towards the promotion of another title. In many ways this is logical because if the Sims makes 24 million, it's unwise to just leave that money sitting there until the next Sims release. No, it's more productive when money is always moving and being utilized, so I imagine Sims has both funded other games and been funded by other games, simply in the interest of remaining active and productive with finances.

At the same time, the odd part is that it doesn't really feel like that 24 mil ever really came back. We sit here an argue a game that has that much earning power should get extra care and support, but we've not really seen evidence of that happening...
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited November 2017
    This is good but...
    Wouldn't more players spending = bigger budget though? So why are we still getting things half baked in that case then :|
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    rras1994rras1994 Posts: 47 Member
    > @Ciarassims said:
    > This is good but...
    > Wouldn't more players spending = bigger budget though? So why are we still getting things half baked in that case then :|

Inflation - game prices haven't gone up in like at least a decade. They aren't getting as much profit per unit anymore - also game production costs ( not accounting for inflation) have also increased. If we want more, we have to be willing to pay more, and people already complain about the price now, I don't see them being willing to accept a higher price.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    This is good but...
    Wouldn't more players spending = bigger budget though? So why are we still getting things half baked in that case then :|

You would think that, but every business might invest in a different strategy.

It sounds like if you ran a business, your strategy would be to recognize a certain game is a cash cow and reinvest some of it's income back into it to ensure that cash cow stays healthy and keeps putting out a large profit. For EA/Maxis, they may instead feel that they can neglect the cash cow and leave it be on the exact budget it started with, and it'll continue to push out a profit regardless. If they're right, they're potentially making a better profit than you are. If they're wrong, that's a loss. All we can do is bet which seems more viable, and I'm sure they have way more data to work with in making that decision.

We don't know the why or how or even what's going on. All I can say is that....well how many people on these forums blindly buy every pack...? I've seen users openly admit they hate a pack's style before saying they'll buy it anyways, and while there's a lot of uproar about missing Pets content right now, the majority still plan on purchasing it at some point in time. There's a poll somewhere showing about 40% are in the no or maybe categories while 60% will purchase it. (this includes those waiting to purchase on sale) As many have said, sometimes you have to vote with your wallet, and I must say I don't think this community is particularly good at restraining itself when it comes to new content, regardless of what it is. In that regard, I gotta admit that if I were working for EA/Maxis, I'd be tempted to bet we don't need to reinvest in the Sims for it to sell, too.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited November 2017
    rras1994 wrote: »
    > @Ciarassims said:
    > This is good but...
    > Wouldn't more players spending = bigger budget though? So why are we still getting things half baked in that case then :|

Inflation - game prices haven't gone up in like at least a decade. They aren't getting as much profit per unit anymore - also game production costs ( not accounting for inflation) have also increased. If we want more, we have to be willing to pay more, and people already complain about the price now, I don't see them being willing to accept a higher price.

It's not wanting more, it's wanting things like lifts for example to actually be opening and closing not a teleport with no animation? Why should I be willing to pay more so something isn't half baked? I don't want more, I just want things to stop being half baked. A £40 expansion pack shouldn't be half baked for that price unless you're stating we should be paying £50 for a expansion pack which is the same price as the base game alone?? People complain about the price because like I said, what is the point of spending £40 on something is it's gonna be half baked... Completely ridiculous if you ask me, not all of us are a cash machine. And "They aren't getting as much profit per unit anymore" So why is it apparently outselling the sims 3 then if the sims 3 sold as many as people state huh, wouldn't that mean they have a even bigger budget for the sims 4?
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    Yes for Sims 4! My favorite of the series. The best one for my storytelling. And @ehaught58, why not read the article and see for yourself what is meant by doing well. I don't understand why those of you who make it a point to say how much Sims 4 disappoints you continue to show up here to complain. I hated Sims 3 with a passion, but I never went to the forum to dump on it and it's fans. Why do all of you keep doing this? And don't tell me it is to "make the game better", if by better you mean, more like Sims 3 or Sims 2. I am not going to argue about what someone prefers. We are all different people. But I truly don't understand the continued rants and complaints toward something others are enjoying.

@Mendota I am glad that you enjoy TS4 and I really wish that I could, too. I am sorry that we don’t share the same point of view, as I am speaking from a builder’s perspective and I am really disappointed with the build mode part of the game. I can see why you, as a story teller, love this game, but that is not my forte. I simply replied to the title of the thread. My reply was completely on topic, whereas your reply to me might be perceived as someone trying to derail this thread. Let’s please keep it on topic. :)
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member
    4's doin so well its gone a be tha longest lasting iteration weve seen an thats amazing. cant wait ta see what else's gone a come our way.
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2017
    There's always been about 64,000 players online when I play in the evenings so those leaving have been replaced with new. The least number of players has been about 18,000 in the mornings GMT. They all, at any time must be the Simmers using or wanting to use the Gallery in game as lots play offline in addition.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think it Sims 4 has attracted a lot of new players and interest because of the current playstyle of the game. I still consider it lackluster and this doesn't mean anything to me. However like another commentor mentioned, if it is really more successful than I imagine there still is hope for a Sims 5. On the other hand, if it is quite successful im afraid the next iteration will be similar. If it is, I'd consider myself done with the sims franchise.
    All of the iterations have been successful. The success of The Sims 2, for example, didn't stop the personality Matrix from being scrapped and replaced with the inferior trait system in The Sims 3. However, The Sims 3 also retained many good things from The Sims 2. And while The Sims 3 was also successful, that didn't stop the change away from the open world in The Sims 4. While I applauded that decision, as the open world was the chief cause of The Sims 3's numerous technical issues, The Sims 4 still retained the trait system which I did not approve of.

I don't think it is going to be a case of pure imitation, as evidenced by the fact that it has never been a case of pure imitation from one iteration to the next. When The Sims 5 comes, and it will, it will retain some features of various installments while doing a few things that are new. Maybe it will be more to your liking or maybe it won't, but the history of the series demonstrates that it will probably be different enough that people will have to reevaluate their positions and fight about it for the following years to come.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2017
    I wonder where the money is going? Hmmm...
    Scrooge-McDuck-Money-Bin-1000x562.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top