Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I've Decided Not to Buy Pets

Comments

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Actually dogs in sims 3 can lick and sniff toddlers. It is a cute interaction. I don't recall if cats can though.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    Why do we have to turn this into another "us vs them" situation? And what does "going overboard" with "appeasing" family players even mean? The sims is a game for everyone. There is no "appeasing" and going overboard. Everyone gets their content, sometimes you just gotta wait a little bit for the content that interests you. The issue with TS4 not being enough for pretty much every play style out there is a separate problem, so can we please for the love of cheesecake stop blaming family players for it? It's getting old.

It's like some of you thought all there is to family are toddlers and once they're out it's all done and enough.

I also fail to see how pets are considered family content. To say a pack is geared towards family because ALL lifestages, including toddlers and kids, can interact with animals is a very far fetched statement. One of the core features in Cats&Dogs is owning a vet clinic, and active careers in TS4 are probably the least family friendly thing you could come up with. Unless you're satisfied with not having one, or leaving it behind for weeks working towards a promotion.

I enjoy playing with all lifestages so I agree that young adults need more places to go, more hobbies, more stuff in general but I'm very tired of people's mentality that every feature added that they're not interested in is a feature taken away from them and some kind of attack that needs boycotting. Family players used to do the same and got criticized for it, but now the very same people who criticized are repeating their actions. Can't we just understand that with a game like The Sims, we just HAVE TO learn to share? Have you seen non-supernatural fans throwing a fit when vampires were announced?

I'm thinking of having a save where I'll be the vet at the clinic for a bit until I get bored, then probably cheat up till I get the clinic I want and fairly high in Vet skill, mark that household as unplayed and use it for a place where my new active family can take their pets. Might even do a husband/wife clinic -- as soon as I finish getting the rest of the worlds in order I could start my new couple and at least work on the charisma and handiness skills.

I really want either Witches or some sort of general Magic pack to complement Vampires, but I didn't complain when we didn't get it earlier this year and got Parenthood instead because the devs did a great job on that pack. Oh, and we got a pack which was pretty much completely for Teen+ in Fitness Stuff; only thing kids got were the earbuds, and that was shared with the older ages as well.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »
    With the newest live stream I say good decision, and I'm seriously reconsidering. Especially as I'll have to buy a new computer to run the game. Not sure it's worth that.

What happen this live stream ?

Just a few different thing that were very disappointing and making me wonder if it will be worth it as I'll have to buy a new computer to really be able to play it.

Can you linked it?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I just don't trust them. They've gone too far overboard to appease the "family play" this year so I am sure that they went to great stakes to make sure family players are the happiest with their tot and pets interactions.

Because Vampires (which came after Toddlers) was such a Family pushing agenda pack :joy:

So ONE family based game pack, and ONE Toddler stuff pack (ignoring Fitness Stuff and Bowling Stuff apparently) and suddenly they've gone overboard on family gameplay?

I think you're the one going overboard honestly. Apart from Kids Room Stuff, these are the only two packs that show an inch of family content on the level of Sims 2/3. Most of the time, there's next to none.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    You don't have to buy it, but don't you think creating a thread announcing your big and hard decision not to buy a video game is a bit over dramatic?

Clearly having a "deprived of attention" moment.
  • Options
    BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    BoredinTX wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I feel like the devs will have geared this to kid and toddler animations and game play and since I don't play kids and toddlers, I don't feel my older sims will benefit from this pack.

It will be just another family play pack.

I'm not buying anything more for this game until they start recognizing other players who DON'T play family.

It's better than the constant young adult party life plum they kept making.
    Don't worry, I'm sure something new is right around the corner.

I might be tempted by Seasons but I will have to wait to see the trailers. And this time it will have to be more than TS1, TS2 or TS3 had in their weather packs. If I think about it, it's like a little kid who has a lot of toys, and before they can even get the toy out of a box, they throw it down and want the new shiny. I think my buying days are about over, I mean those who have been through this stuff four times sometimes just want to be amazed and or they stick with what they have. Not saying the pack doesn't look fun, it does, temporarily, then it's back to needing a new shiny. My old toys are familar and well loved, so I might not be getting anything else for TS4, it will depend on the trailers.

I'll just say this to myself everyone else ignore it. Community is what keeps people engaged, too. And this community has been a strange place since day one. We're all in our own little corners. Even I haven't been myself and have been sort of strange this past three years. lol Community builds excitement and gears everyone up to get the new shiny, it's not like the old days here, and not much fun goes on here. No food fights, can't say anything or it hurts someone's feelings, too much competition between titles and which one is the best, and too many egos. TS4 has been a strange bird.

Rambling..I should go to bed. And if I think on it, TS2 Simmers haven't really had a home in years. Not the ones who really loved TS2 and who didn't like TS3 or TS4...just out here in the wilderness wondering around. :D

I think I get what you're saying. For me, I'm one of those people who starts hobbies and then overdoes it, quits, moves on, and finally eventually find my way back. It is a great way to waste money. But the one thing that is ALWAYS there for me is Sims. I don't quit it and come back later like practically every other thing in my life. I don't mind spending money on it because of that. Would I be playing Sims 3 still if I could? Abso-freaking-lutely but right around when TS4 came out I got a Mac and decided to start fresh. I worked for months trying to download all my EPs and CC on my Mac for TS3 but to no avail. It was a tragedy. Eventually, I got desperate enough to reinstall TS4 and by then toddlers had come out. So for me? It kinda has to work. That or no Sims for Kristin :-(
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2017
    Why do we have to turn this into another "us vs them" situation? And what does "going overboard" with "appeasing" family players even mean? The sims is a game for everyone. There is no "appeasing" and going overboard. Everyone gets their content, sometimes you just gotta wait a little bit for the content that interests you. The issue with TS4 not being enough for pretty much every play style out there is a separate problem, so can we please for the love of cheesecake stop blaming family players for it? It's getting old.

It's like some of you thought all there is to family are toddlers and once they're out it's all done and enough.

I also fail to see how pets are considered family content. To say a pack is geared towards family because ALL lifestages, including toddlers and kids, can interact with animals is a very far fetched statement. One of the core features in Cats&Dogs is owning a vet clinic, and active careers in TS4 are probably the least family friendly thing you could come up with. Unless you're satisfied with not having one, or leaving it behind for weeks working towards a promotion.

I enjoy playing with all lifestages so I agree that young adults need more places to go, more hobbies, more stuff in general but I'm very tired of people's mentality that every feature added that they're not interested in is a feature taken away from them and some kind of attack that needs boycotting. Family players used to do the same and got criticized for it, but now the very same people who criticized are repeating their actions. Can't we just understand that with a game like The Sims, we just HAVE TO learn to share? Have you seen non-supernatural fans throwing a fit when vampires were announced?

I'm thinking of having a save where I'll be the vet at the clinic for a bit until I get bored, then probably cheat up till I get the clinic I want and fairly high in Vet skill, mark that household as unplayed and use it for a place where my new active family can take their pets. Might even do a husband/wife clinic -- as soon as I finish getting the rest of the worlds in order I could start my new couple and at least work on the charisma and handiness skills.

I really want either Witches or some sort of general Magic pack to complement Vampires, but I didn't complain when we didn't get it earlier this year and got Parenthood instead because the devs did a great job on that pack. Oh, and we got a pack which was pretty much completely for Teen+ in Fitness Stuff; only thing kids got were the earbuds, and that was shared with the older ages as well.

That's the weird thing about players who don't do family stuff in this game, at least on this forum. I swear it's like once something is accessible to a kid as well as adults (like darts for example) it's suddenly less valuable to them because TECHNICALLY you could have like, a friendly family darts match so it was obviously not made with adults in mind.... Like please.

I'll never forget when Get Together was released and people literally said how that pack was more suitable for families than young adult sims. I wish I was making that up.

Speculating that a trailer showcasing 1 cute interaction of a toddler with a puppy means this pack is another part of some weird family play agenda is just... Ridiculous :D
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Lol why would you make a thread to tell us your not buying it? Are you trying to convince us or yourself you shouldn't buy it?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,078 Member
    Did you catch today's livestream, @fullspiral ? What did you think? :)
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    With the newest live stream I say good decision, and I'm seriously reconsidering. Especially as I'll have to buy a new computer to run the game. Not sure it's worth that.

But won't the next packs follow this one's requirements? I feel like it's only a matter of time until we have to catch up with it if we intend to buy anything new for the game now.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited October 2017
    Ok sweetie, you do you hun whatever makes you happy <3
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I know watching the livestream confirmed my negative perspective of this EP. I am still disappointed and can't see it worth my money.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I feel like the devs will have geared this to kid and toddler animations and game play and since I don't play kids and toddlers, I don't feel my older sims will benefit from this pack.

I'm not buying anything more for this game until they start recognizing other players who DON'T play family.

I might be tempted by Seasons but I will have to wait to see the trailers. And this time it will have to be more than TS1, TS2 or TS3 had in their weather packs. If I think about it, it's like a little kid who has a lot of toys, and before they can even get the toy out of a box, they throw it down and want the new shiny. I think my buying days are about over, I mean those who have been through this stuff four times sometimes just want to be amazed and or they stick with what they have. Not saying the pack doesn't look fun, it does, temporarily, then it's back to needing a new shiny. My old toys are familar and well loved, so I might not be getting anything else for TS4, it will depend on the trailers.

I'll just say this to myself everyone else ignore it. Community is what keeps people engaged, too. And this community has been a strange place since day one. We're all in our own little corners. Even I haven't been myself and have been sort of strange this past three years. lol Community builds excitement and gears everyone up to get the new shiny, it's not like the old days here, and not much fun goes on here. No food fights, can't say anything or it hurts someone's feelings, too much competition between titles and which one is the best, and too many egos. TS4 has been a strange bird.

Rambling..I should go to bed. And if I think on it, TS2 Simmers haven't really had a home in years. Not the ones who really loved TS2 and who didn't like TS3 or TS4...just out here in the wilderness wondering around. :D

I think I get what you're saying. For me, I'm one of those people who starts hobbies and then overdoes it, quits, moves on, and finally eventually find my way back. It is a great way to waste money. But the one thing that is ALWAYS there for me is Sims. I don't quit it and come back later like practically every other thing in my life. I don't mind spending money on it because of that. Would I be playing Sims 3 still if I could? Abso-freaking-lutely but right around when TS4 came out I got a Mac and decided to start fresh. I worked for months trying to download all my EPs and CC on my Mac for TS3 but to no avail. It was a tragedy. Eventually, I got desperate enough to reinstall TS4 and by then toddlers had come out. So for me? It kinda has to work. That or no Sims for Kristin :-(

The exact reason why sims 4 was the only game I planned to spend my money on. I always liked simulation games but I would eventually over play and then never play again. With the sims 4 I knew I wouldn't get bored because I was watching sims 4 lps for a year without even having the game. I figured if these lps interest me that much then I would probably have a lot of fun actually playing the game and probably wouldn't get bored easily.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member

What happen this live stream ?

Just a few different thing that were very disappointing and making me wonder if it will be worth it as I'll have to buy a new computer to really be able to play it.

Can you linked it?

The live stream? https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185284769
  • Options
    doghemsdoghems Posts: 11 New Member
    I don’t see what the big deal is, it seems to me that you’re just begging attention. I honestly couldn’t care less whether you got the game or not. :*
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member

But won't the next packs follow this one's requirements? I feel like it's only a matter of time until we have to catch up with it if we intend to buy anything new for the game now.

If I don't get Cats&Dogs I won't get any following one either. Pets is one of my favorite things and for it to be such a disappointment, plus some of the other things recently I haven't liked, I wouldn't be supporting the series anymore by buying new stuff. I still want it just for CAP, but I'm not sure it's worth $40 plus $700+ for a new computer. That's a lot that I can't really justify spending on something I might regret buying right now.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I just don't trust them. They've gone too far overboard to appease the "family play" this year so I am sure that they went to great stakes to make sure family players are the happiest with their tot and pets interactions.

I don't necessarily trust EA either but thank goodness they're starting to listen or so it seems anyway. As for EA going overboard to appease "family play"- They should have already done these things 2+ years ago, no offense to EA but toddlers should have never been omitted from the base game, toddlers are a VERY important / much needed life state. I have a toddler in real life. It just makes no sense to have a baby grow up straight away into a child, then again it makes no sense that babies are objects. Babies weren't objects in ts2/3, so why make them objects in ts4? Don't get me wrong I really like ts4, but it's supposed to be better than the other Sims games, you know progress, not regress... The way EA was going by omitting toddlers amongst other things it was regressing in my humble opinion.

I get you're not into family play, but the majority of Simmers are or at least it seems that way into family play.

I'm extremely happy and glad they've included toddlers, sadly they should have done such long ago... Think about it, the base game of ts2&3 had toddlers... The Sims has ALWAYS been about "family play", sure there's building, partying, dating, woohooing, etc but again family play is a staple.

If you don't like "family play", simply don't do it, just play however you want, that's the beauty of The Sims <3. Nobody is going to force you into that, but with that being said, I don't want anyone to force me into not being able to play how I want which is with "family play" and pets. To be honest I tried playing ts4 before they implemented toddlers, I even kept up to date buying the packs and stuff, but ultimately I could never bring myself to actually play, all I pretty much loaded Origin up for was to install the updates / purchases. Thankfully EA added Toddlers, and I've been playing ever since.

In the end, I hope you do give the Pets EP a shot, but how you play is solely up to you, like I said earlier; whatever floats your boat... but as for me, I'm so gonna buy the Pets EP.

You do know Maxis makes this game - not EA - right? I sort of wish EA would make it - then perhaps we'd get their amazing inhouse Frostbyte 3 game engine in Sims. That would be a marvel in my book - all that power and unlimited ability that engine has. Sigh.....

EA bought out Maxis, back in Sims 1 and early Sims 2 days it was owned by Maxis until they sold out to EA.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; even if somehow Maxis was still doing it all, I heard the team has been changed that's why TS4 isn't quite like TS1-3.

On the Sims 4 Get Together cover it says "Maxis" and right next to it-is EA's logo
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I don't necessarily trust EA either but thank goodness they're starting to listen or so it seems anyway. As for EA going overboard to appease "family play"- They should have already done these things 2+ years ago, no offense to EA but toddlers should have never been omitted from the base game, toddlers are a VERY important / much needed life state. I have a toddler in real life. It just makes no sense to have a baby grow up straight away into a child, then again it makes no sense that babies are objects. Babies weren't objects in ts2/3, so why make them objects in ts4? Don't get me wrong I really like ts4, but it's supposed to be better than the other Sims games, you know progress, not regress... The way EA was going by omitting toddlers amongst other things it was regressing in my humble opinion.

I get you're not into family play, but the majority of Simmers are or at least it seems that way into family play.

I'm extremely happy and glad they've included toddlers, sadly they should have done such long ago... Think about it, the base game of ts2&3 had toddlers... The Sims has ALWAYS been about "family play", sure there's building, partying, dating, woohooing, etc but again family play is a staple.

If you don't like "family play", simply don't do it, just play however you want, that's the beauty of The Sims <3. Nobody is going to force you into that, but with that being said, I don't want anyone to force me into not being able to play how I want which is with "family play" and pets. To be honest I tried playing ts4 before they implemented toddlers, I even kept up to date buying the packs and stuff, but ultimately I could never bring myself to actually play, all I pretty much loaded Origin up for was to install the updates / purchases. Thankfully EA added Toddlers, and I've been playing ever since.

In the end, I hope you do give the Pets EP a shot, but how you play is solely up to you, like I said earlier; whatever floats your boat... but as for me, I'm so gonna buy the Pets EP.

You do know Maxis makes this game - not EA - right? I sort of wish EA would make it - then perhaps we'd get their amazing inhouse Frostbyte 3 game engine in Sims. That would be a marvel in my book - all that power and unlimited ability that engine has. Sigh.....

EA bought out Maxis, back in Sims 1 and early Sims 2 days it was owned by Maxis until they sold out to EA.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; even if somehow Maxis was still doing it all, I heard the team has been changed that's why TS4 isn't quite like TS1-3.

On the Sims 4 Get Together cover it says "Maxis" and right next to it-is EA's logo

I understand that, but what I'm trying to say is; EA did buy Maxis. So Maxis sort of exists but only because EA bought them out.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

The exact reason why sims 4 was the only game I planned to spend my money on. I always liked simulation games but I would eventually over play and then never play again. With the sims 4 I knew I wouldn't get bored because I was watching sims 4 lps for a year without even having the game. I figured if these lps interest me that much then I would probably have a lot of fun actually playing the game and probably wouldn't get bored easily.

How's the game for you now that you have it?
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

That's the weird thing about players who don't do family stuff in this game, at least on this forum. I swear it's like once something is accessible to a kid as well as adults (like darts for example) it's suddenly less valuable to them because TECHNICALLY you could have like, a friendly family darts match so it was obviously not made with adults in mind.... Like please.

I'll never forget when Get Together was released and people literally said how that pack was more suitable for families than young adult sims. I wish I was making that up.

Speculating that a trailer showcasing 1 cute interaction of a toddler with a puppy means this pack is another part of some weird family play agenda is just... Ridiculous :D

GT is great for families -- I typically do a family group as the young ones hit the teen years, then add in the siblings as they age up to teen. Makes it super easy for family get togethers, especially as the parents die if you want to to keep the rest of the family in touch.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2017

GT is great for families -- I typically do a family group as the young ones hit the teen years, then add in the siblings as they age up to teen. Makes it super easy for family get togethers, especially as the parents die if you want to to keep the rest of the family in touch.

I agree, the club system has changed the way I play families for the better, especially the big, multi generational ones. That's the beauty of this game though, if you're given a true sandbox tool (like clubs) you can use it in any way you'd like to, with families and everyone else. But as long as something makes sense to use in a family setting in TS4, it's suddenly "geared" towards family players, which I completely don't get. Imagination is limitless and I get a lot of use out of Get Together regardless of what I'm playing with. I'm sure Cats&Dogs will be just as useful :)
    Post edited by agustd on
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Sims 4 has NO WAY had a new "focus" on family play. Pets is pets. Not family play. We have only had a GP and 2 SPs on family play, and the toddler patch, but I don't even count it since it should have been there 3 years ago, when the game came out. You realize family players had no packs dedicated to them for 2 years? Sure, there were features here and there for family players, but no just, family play pack!! "Young adult" players had packs dedicated to them almost every single time. Don't blame the family players.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    And, I didn’t see one toddler or child in yesterday’s live stream, OP. So much for the theory that this pack was dedicated to family play and kids.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    doghems wrote: »
    I don’t see what the big deal is, it seems to me that you’re just begging attention. I honestly couldn’t care less whether you got the game or not. :*

I agree with this, vote with your wallet. You decided not to buy a pack, okay. Cool?
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    doghems wrote: »

I agree with this, vote with your wallet. You decided not to buy a pack, okay. Cool?

The OP has been in multiple threads lately complaining about toddlers and children. This was just more of the same.