Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This irks the heck out the me, please tell me EA why?

Comments

• Options
    RomzarahRomzarah Posts: 195 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Romzarah wrote: »
    Anybody can knock up a CASt in Visual Basic, C++, etc - it's just a case of unpacking and repacking the assets to TS4.

A flea could do it.

Will you do it for us then, please ploppo? Not that I'm saying you are a flea or anything ;)
    No, because I am against modding in general.

I rained fire down on Bethesda for it and I don't like Maxis using modders as free labour.

Sims has always been about player creations.. One of the reasons I have the game is the modding..

You could buy only games that are closed..
    Yes but modding can go too far when modders are actually fixing a game faster than the developers. Some modders are effectively enabling missing gameplay options.

Adding content is one thing, providing support services is another.

Your right about the fixing problems that should have been fixed long before the game was released... Microsoft runs itself that way.. Never have liked them, but we all have to live with the OS.. We should not have to live with it in games.. I don't remember ever having major flaws in any Blizard games I have played.. Lots of other as well..
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @GoldenBuffy I guess that they didn't have 'enough tie' to get a sound for a door bell but something as simple as that could easily be included by now.

As for dogs barking that was also a thing as far back as Unleashed

Well it would be great if they added back in a doorbell! I miss it. And as for the dog barking, do you know I forgot about that with Unleashed. I think the sim I'm playing right now needs to get a dog. I was working on her trying to get married, but her boyfriend refuses to accept. lol I think she'll have better luck with a fur baby.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Anybody can knock up a CASt in Visual Basic, C++, etc - it's just a case of unpacking and repacking the assets to TS4.

A flea could do it.

Will you do it for us then, please ploppo? Not that I'm saying you are a flea or anything ;)
    No, because I am against modding in general.

I rained fire down on Bethesda for it and I don't like Maxis using modders as free labour.

Sims has always been about player creations.. One of the reasons I have the game is the modding..

You could buy only games that are closed..
    Yes but modding can go too far when modders are actually fixing a game faster than the developers. Some modders are effectively enabling missing gameplay options.

Adding content is one thing, providing support services is another.

Your right about the fixing problems that should have been fixed long before the game was released... Microsoft runs itself that way.. Never have liked them, but we all have to live with the OS.. We should not have to live with it in games.. I don't remember ever having major flaws in any Blizard games I have played.. Lots of other as well..

Those spiders in Skyrim though. lol *shudders* Because of them I haven't played the game past two hours since 2014. :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    They should have never done away with the color wheel to begin with. And knowing that having the CASt or at least a color wheel back is one of the main things many have been asking for since 2014, instead of implementing it via a patch or even with City Living. They only give it to use for cats and dogs. But I am hoping they will find a way to make it available for human sims as well in the future, since it will be implemented in game via Cats and Dogs.
    Karallyne wrote: »
    Karallyne wrote: »
    i'm not trying to be a brown noser here, but just think

not many of us were expecting the color wheel. They could've simply forgone the color wheel completely, given us standard fur colors and saved a bunch of time and money doing so. on top of that they wouldn't then have to deal with all the people who are upset at them for not letting the color wheel work on sims. Yet they didn't. So I think it's a bit unfair to criticize them for that.

Yes but going as far as putting one for our cats and dogs and not our sims??? I don't think so...

so you're saying you would have rather not had it at all than have to go through the heartbreak of not getting it for your sims?

:/

Yup, pretty much. lol Why tease us with something that we can't use 100% through our game. Not only with sims and their clothing, but also with furniture, etc.

The bold is EXACTLY how I feel, and my response to "so you're saying you would have rather not had it at all than have to go through the heartbreak of not getting it for your sims?" so it has been said. I don't need to say it again :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Well if you think about it - the leadership in charge at the time seemed to think it was ludicrous for us to want toddlers, cars, and anything else we yelled the Sims 4 didn't have that they should have had - so I blame it on the now gone former new leadership - who I firmly believe had their view of the game and not ours in mind. So Maxis is scrambling to fix the broken as best they can now that THAT leadership has left the building. Granted this is just my viewpoint but I find it strange the way the game was moving and the sudden U-turn once the former head of Maxis left the building. Now Maxis can get back to actually heading in the right direction. But they have a lot of ground to cover to fix it and if you think about it - retracing steps and adding in stuff is a lot more difficult in an established game and game engine then adding in such things in a new addition that does not affect what is already there. It is a price we pay in my view for what I look at as the non-simmer former head who was the one who actually " ruled" - instead of us. Think about it- we were not the ones who were dancing, now were we? Now though I feel my feet wanting to start doing a jig - a little bit anyway. LOL.

Me I will take the new - I am liking what I am seeing and have hope growing again for a Sims game I don't keep screaming WHY!! ?? at. Yep - I will take the small step in correcting the lack of coloring in the game for pets - even though Lyndsay says it's just the pets and not the rest of the sims - I see promise. To me it is another good step in the right direction - and we may "rule" the Sims 4 yet.

I'm buying it. Call me gullible - that's fine - I appreciate the direction. Rome, as grandma used to say, was not built in a day. On top of it Rome did not have to be rebuilt completely on top of rubble either. So yes - I accept this direction anyway.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    willowburgerwillowburger Posts: 3 New Member
    If they made everything colorable with the color wheel, I have a feeling it would be a lot more laggy, just like Sims 3. and Open World would make it extremely laggy, just like Sims 3 again, too. Also, they would have to go back and edit every single item for the color wheel, because they didn't make the meshes suited for allllll those color changes. What I would like to have is just keep the swatches they already have, but make the items a little more customizable; like being about to choose the swatches of the fabric on a couch separately from the wood swatches of the legs. that would be lit :P
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2017
    after what ea did to mass effect nothing surprises me anymore. i pray to the gods that someday we will be able to change sims skin color with the color wheel... cmon ea, i know you can do it. i was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you, how dare you?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Writin_Reg I agree there clearly seems to be a change of wind lately, for the better.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Well if you think about it - the leadership in charge at the time seemed to think it was ludicrous for us to want toddlers, cars, and anything else we yelled the Sims 4 didn't have that they should have had - so I blame it on the now gone former new leadership - who I firmly believe had their view of the game and not ours in mind. So Maxis is scrambling to fix the broken as best they can now that THAT leadership has left the building. Granted this is just my viewpoint but I find it strange the way the game was moving and the sudden U-turn once the former head of Maxis left the building. Now Maxis can get back to actually heading in the right direction. But they have a lot of ground to cover to fix it and if you think about it - retracing steps and adding in stuff is a lot more difficult in an established game and game engine then adding in such things in a new addition that does not affect what is already there. It is a price we pay in my view for what I look at as the non-simmer former head who was the one who actually " ruled" - instead of us. Think about it- we were not the ones who were dancing, now were we? Now though I feel my feet wanting to start doing a jig - a little bit anyway. LOL.

Me I will take the new - I am liking what I am seeing and have hope growing again for a Sims game I don't keep screaming WHY!! ?? at. Yep - I will take the small step in correcting the lack of coloring in the game for pets - even though Lyndsay says it's just the pets and not the rest of the sims - I see promise. To me it is another good step in the right direction - and we may "rule" the Sims 4 yet.

I'm buying it. Call me gullible - that's fine - I appreciate the direction. Rome, as grandma used to say, was not built in a day. On top of it Rome did not have to be rebuilt completely on top of rubble either. So yes - I accept this direction anyway.

I agree with you like 100%. After that person left their were able to find their way through the deep dark forest and back into the light.
    If they made everything colorable with the color wheel, I have a feeling it would be a lot more laggy, just like Sims 3. and Open World would make it extremely laggy, just like Sims 3 again, too. Also, they would have to go back and edit every single item for the color wheel, because they didn't make the meshes suited for allllll those color changes. What I would like to have is just keep the swatches they already have, but make the items a little more customizable; like being about to choose the swatches of the fabric on a couch separately from the wood swatches of the legs. that would be lit :P

Nope. The Sims 3 was laggy for some players not because of the open world or create a style tool. It was because of the core game engine. It wasn't a stable build, and that is why there was so many problems. Then instead of fixing it, they just threw the baby out with the bathwater. It would have been great if they used the early development time and built a stable core foundation that could handle and run a open world smoothly. Here's to hoping that they are doing that now. And if/when we get Sims 5 the old school loading screens are gone. We have an open world once more. The ability to color ALL the things! And much much more!:D
    after what ea did to mass effect nothing surprises me anymore. i pray to the gods that someday we will be able to change sims skin color with the color wheel... cmon ea, i know you can do it. i was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you, how dare you?

I'm doing a Let's Play on my channel right now of Andromeda. And I'm enjoying it, but now finding out that there's no dlc, and also playing the previous games. I can't help but think, yet another has bitten the dust. smh But I'm still holding out hope since they brought back one of the original lead directors, that ME will get back on track. And we will eventually see another game.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I agree and I'm annoyed yet not surprised. caste couldn't be made for create a sim but could be made for pets? How does that make any sense, we can customize our pets but we can't customize our sims clothing or their homes.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    I agree and I'm annoyed yet not surprised. caste couldn't be made for create a sim but could be made for pets? How does that make any sense, we can customize our pets but we can't customize our sims clothing or their homes.

This is why I wish we could start over with a S5. S4 was off to such a bad start. So much was left out.

Now it's being added for new features? No. I won't bite. It may be acceptable to others, but it's not to me. I don't care about Rome. You can NOT rebuild a bad engine decision. You can only build upon a bad decision. I'll wait for the better decision to build upon. Thanks.

If that doesn't happen. I guess it's time for me to move on
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Because when the things made for the game already were made they were not designed with color channels and you need color channels to recolor things. They would have to remake everything and EA is not going to bite for that to happen. With Pets they made the Create a pet at the same time they made the pets and it was put into the meshes to do this. That is how.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

This is why I wish we could start over with a S5. S4 was off to such a bad start. So much was left out.

Now it's being added for new features? No. I won't bite. It may be acceptable to others, but it's not to me. I don't care about Rome. You can NOT rebuild a bad engine decision. You can only build upon a bad decision. I'll wait for the better decision to build upon. Thanks.

If that doesn't happen. I guess it's time for me to move on

Well said.

There is still a large backlog of issues with TS4 that 'starting again' is the better option right now.

Oh well, only another two odd years...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @GoldenBuffy I think for many people too much CC was the issue. You can blame the game for that too, Sims 3 isn't CC friendly, but I've never experienced lag in my vanilla game, not even on my old computer. I did have stuttering on that one while traveling but that's not lag. In fact it's Sims 4 where I feel there's lag (sims not immediately reacting to instructions I gave them).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Because when the things made for the game already were made they were not designed with color channels and you need color channels to recolor things. They would have to remake everything and EA is not going to bite for that to happen. With Pets they made the Create a pet at the same time they made the pets and it was put into the meshes to do this. That is how.
    So there is hope we'll see more customizable content in the future. I truely hope so.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Colour wheel nor CASt make Sims 3 laggy. End of message.
    I completely agree. Color wheel, CASt and several other "unnecessary" things were omitted in TS4 mainly because EA wanted TS4 to be a simple uncomplicated game that was easy for new simmers to get started with. Other "constructed" "explanations" just won't make any sense.
  • Options
    @GoldenBuffy I think for many people too much CC was the issue. You can blame the game for that too, Sims 3 isn't CC friendly, but I've never experienced lag in my vanilla game, not even on my old computer. I did have stuttering on that one while traveling but that's not lag. In fact it's Sims 4 where I feel there's lag (sims not immediately reacting to instructions I gave them).

I never had lag. Once - I think it might have been you - who explained to me what lag actually was. On my old pc after installing University on top of Seasons, I had to run out and up my memory. But that was it. And after getting my new pc back in 2014, I would get a studded here and there.

But I think you may be on to something about the cc. I had to recently uninstall my Sims 3 game. *cri* *cri* After trying to fix some cc issues since December I finally gave up and removed everything. Once I upgrade my hard drive I will be reinstalling Sims 2 and Sims 3. And this time around, I will be more selective of all the cc I download. It's so very addictive. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited August 2017

I never had lag. Once - I think it might have been you - who explained to me what lag actually was. On my old pc after installing University on top of Seasons, I had to run out and up my memory. But that was it. And after getting my new pc back in 2014, I would get a studded here and there.

But I think you may be on to something about the cc. I had to recently uninstall my Sims 3 game. *cri* *cri* After trying to fix some cc issues since December I finally gave up and removed everything. Once I upgrade my hard drive I will be reinstalling Sims 2 and Sims 3. And this time around, I will be more selective of all the cc I download. It's so very addictive. lol
    Yes, lag is a player telling their sim to change outfits and the sim just standing there for 30 sim minutes before doing it. I've never had that either. My Mods folder contains 257 MB now and though I do notice the game has become a bit more fragile (crashes I never had before; cleaning cache files had become a routine now), I still have no lag (nor freezing for that matter and I play in IP). So it's not like you can't have any mods or CC at all. You could store CC you're not currently using in a seperate folder (that's what I do).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Yes, lag is a player telling their sim to change outfits and the sim just standing there for 30 sim minutes before doing it. I've never had that either. My Mods folder contains 257 MB now and though I do notice the game has become a bit more fragile (crashes I never had before; cleaning cache files had become a routine now), I still have no lag (nor freezing for that matter and I play in IP). So it's not like you can't have any mods or CC at all. You could store CC you're not currently using in a seperate folder (that's what I do).

I only ever had lag in IP when it first came out and that was it. About 80% of the cc I did have in game (and still on my pc) I used. But towards the end (like last November before on that craziness started) I had downloaded a bit of cc. Once the issues started (it would take 45 minutes for my game to load), I started to weed through everything. But no matter how many times I thought I found the problem my game just wouldn't stop acting up. After the 45 minute load it was unplayable.

But to stay on topic :D I need doorbells. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

How did this misconception ever get a toe-hold?

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I agree, It's amazing how much better TS4 became once we had new leadership or it least the proof is in the packs since then and toddlers!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Because a modder explained that when the game loads any texture it also has to load every recolor and pattern of it, and anything anyone created for that one tile or carpet or whatever. They explained CASt caused lag because the contents were not cached. I don't speak computer language so I really don't know 'cached' means but sounded logical to me.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I agree with your analysis 100%

Bringing in someone who had no experience with either PC game development of The Sims franchise was a big error on EA's part. I blame that on the direction they originally intended the game to go. Having someone who's extremely familiar on the history of the PC franchise is a major asset, especially for the top leadership role.

Not to mention I find Lindsay much more down to earth than her predecessor.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

CASt did cause my game to lag when I was actually using it to the point where I would instantly regret trying to use it and mainly avoided it altogether. To clarify I mean when I actually tried to change the colour of something my game would start taking forever to respond and often crash, not that it would have an affect once I went back to gameplay, or at least I don't think it did. So when people take about it causing lag it was easy for me to believe, especially since I really don't know much about game development. However in sims 3 I just didn't use it because of the issues, so I don't see this as a reason to not include it for those whose computers can handle it. The fact that they're adding it for pets now though makes me think it was a poor decision based on wherever they wanted to go with the game rather than an issue with stability.