Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You can own foxes (AND RACCOONS!)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    If someone plays this game and decides to go outside to wrangle up one of these stripey goblins with their bare hands, that's on them. The Sims has never been truly dedicated to the realism of the living world. So if the game is so convincing that you (generalization) go and contract rabies because possessing more than six brain cells at a time is beyond your control then I don't know what to tell you. I highly doubt EA/Maxis will feel deeply responsible about the matter because they knew the risk they were taking by adding cute, cuddly, but terribly unrealistic animals to their video game but took it anyway. It's. . . A video game. I don't necessarily want these new critters mimicking cat/dog behaviors play by play but I'm not gonna open up my book of What Would A Raccoon Do and roast them on the inaccuracies.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Foxes! How adorable!
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Don't foxes attack smaller animals? Aren't raccoons the poster-animal for rabies? I'm side-eyeing it all

I come from a place where there's a LOT of raccoons, and we are told to not feed them cause they can have diseases like rabies, plus feeding wild animals is dangerous not only for humans (they are unpredictable, and do bite), but for the animals too, they get use to it, and then when winter come they starve to death. In my country (Canada) it's illegal to own raccoons as pets, in the US it's illegal in some states, and the ones allowing it you need a permit for it, but even then good plum luck finding a vet, really few vets can treat raccoons.

If you love them, let them live in the wild, same for foxes.
    Am I going to have to worry about the Fish and Wildlife Service confiscating my digital raccoon pet? Inquiring minds want to know.

No, but some people might go ''aww raccoons are so cute I want one in real life''. Cute=/=good pets. As pretty sure the behavior they will have in game will be different than their behavior in real life, so yea it's just more a warning that even if people enjoy owning one in the game, that it will probably not be a real representation of how they are in real life, same for foxes.

So to me personally it's just more why having an animal in game if the behavior isn't realistic?
    Just like people might go, "It's so fun to kill sims in the game, I'd like to do that in real life"? Give people some credit. Yeesh.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't foxes attack smaller animals? Aren't raccoons the poster-animal for rabies? I'm side-eyeing it all

I come from a place where there's a LOT of raccoons, and we are told to not feed them cause they can have diseases like rabies, plus feeding wild animals is dangerous not only for humans (they are unpredictable, and do bite), but for the animals too, they get use to it, and then when winter come they starve to death. In my country (Canada) it's illegal to own raccoons as pets, in the US it's illegal in some states, and the ones allowing it you need a permit for it, but even then good plum luck finding a vet, really few vets can treat raccoons.

Am I going to have to worry about the Fish and Wildlife Service confiscating my digital raccoon pet? Inquiring minds want to know.

No, but some people might go ''aww raccoons are so cute I want one in real life''. Cute=/=good pets. As pretty sure the behavior they will have in game will be different than their behavior in real life, so yea it's just more a warning that even if people enjoy owning one in the game, that it will probably not be a real representation of how they are in real life, same for foxes.

So to me personally it's just more why having an animal in game if the behavior isn't realistic?

While I think you have a legit concern, I also think it's safe to assume that the general population is smart enough to know that The Sims, and media in general, is not an accurate portrayal of real life, despite all the misrepresentations. I mean, I certainly knew as an 11 yo playing Sims 1 that two adults kissing in itself did not produce babies...I think there is always an element of risk with any sort of media and that's why it's highly regulated with ratings etc. etc.
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    edited August 2017
    I am really excited about this news! Of course owning raccoons and foxes as pets isn't realistic, but this is a game. Vampires and cowplants are also not very realistic. I for one would really like to create foxes and raccoons in CAS. I remember the raccoon from The Sims 1 and I always wanted to have it as a pet. Finally this wish will come true in The Sims 4!
    Post edited by Klthf on
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member

because it's a video game, meant to entertain people. :smile:
    and i think your concerns are valid, but the majority of players are capable of discerning reality from fantasy.
    as for the younger ones, i know many users in here supervise their children while they play and they could explain to them that raccoons are not domestic animals and shouldn't be approached.
    plenty of disney movies are guilty of taking potentially dangerous animals and making them cute sidekicks for princesses, but no one complains about that..
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

Thank you. Also, should I have a dragon for a pet? I hear that breath weapons can do a lot of damage to wallpaper.
  • Options
    All that hot breath will have your wallpaper peelin' away in no time.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    thrilled about the foxes
    wish they'd chosen something else rather than the raccoons, though. Just not a huge fan of raccoons. When it comes to the matter of having a pet that isn't domesticated, at least the fox is cute. Raccoons are just yuck :s
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    All that hot breath will have your wallpaper peelin' away in no time.
    I am afraid it will. I know that my saving throw is 8 plus my Constitution modifier plus my proficiency bonus, but the handbook doesn't say anything about my wallpaper.
  • Options
    Karallyne wrote: »
    thrilled about the foxes
    wish they'd chosen something else rather than the raccoons, though. Just not a huge fan of raccoons. When it comes to the matter of having a pet that isn't domesticated, at least the fox is cute. Raccoons are just yuck :s

People either love 'em or hate 'em. There is a point about skunks being a pretty good option so they may have been a better pick over raccoons but alas. Raccoons have showed up in previous games iirc so that may be a factor into their presence as pets here? On top of the fact they share a similar structure to dogs/cats so implementing them isn't as difficult as say a horse.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Karallyne wrote: »
    thrilled about the foxes

Raccoons have been in pets expansions since The Sims 1. They're traditional.

And the fact that they're actually ownable now means I won't have to hunt down mods to unlock them. So yay.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I'm so happy for racoons too! And the fact thay racoons and foxes will behave differently than cats and dogs!
  • Options
    KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    That's interesting. I wonder how they will work, if they will need the same things as cats and dogs do or if they have individual items. It almost makes it possible to make some sort of zoo or wild park. I'm quite happy! I'd still like small pets as well but I guess they could be added with a game pack, since theoretically it would only be three new objects: An aviary, a lizard tank and a rodent cage. In my opinion being able to own raccoons, skunks and foxes makes up for that. Not that I think taking in any of these creatures in real life would be a good idea, even if I live in a rabies free country, but sims never has been about pure realism so I'm okay with it!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I want to know if I can breed foxes and raccoons. Imagine, baby foxes!
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

Just like people might go, "It's so fun to kill sims in the game, I'd like to do that in real life"? Give people some credit. Yeesh.

Keep in mind kids play the sims 4 . It s not like they would want to kill sims. Its more like hey this is cute. I want a pet like that in real life. It happens when kids like to watch movies like Finding Dory, and some were tempted to get those certain fish as pets .
  • Options
    EmoFlowersEmoFlowers Posts: 325 Member

Keep in mind kids play the sims 4 . It s not like they would want to kill sims. Its more like hey this is cute. I want a pet like that in real life. It happens when kids like to watch movies like Finding Dory, and some were tempted to get those certain fish as pets .

If children are playing the game it's up to the parents to teach them to leave raccoons/foxes alone - not a video game. I've done dumb things as a kid that I saw on T.V, but my mother was the one who told me I should discern reality from fantasy; and just because Mary Poppins can fall gracefully with an umbrella doesn't mean I should jump off from my shed and expect my umbrella to lower me gently to the ground.

... I mean, I never did that. What? :flushed:
    !! Mermaids !!

RIP Princess (July 4, 2001 - January 11, 2016)
    RIP Misha (May 1, 2011 - July 2, 2016)
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I killed lots of sims as a kid on purpose :D
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Oh man. Now I might def. get it.
    Still only when it's on sale.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    EmoFlowers wrote: »

If children are playing the game it's up to the parents to teach them to leave raccoons/foxes alone - not a video game. I've done dumb things as a kid that I saw on T.V, but my mother was the one who told me I should discern reality from fantasy; and just because Mary Poppins can fall gracefully with an umbrella doesn't mean I should jump off from my shed and expect my umbrella to lower me gently to the ground.

... I mean, I never did that. What? :flushed:
    I know,but sadly parents don't do that any more . Some would be rather friends with their kids, and tell them to watch tv than parent them
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    People do have pet foxes. This youtube video is so cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AtP7au_Q9w
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    edited August 2017

Thank you. Also, should I have a dragon for a pet? I hear that breath weapons can do a lot of damage to wallpaper.

Sure.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

This game is rated T, not E. If a teenager can't do a quick google search from their phone and determine whether raccoons make viable pets, then what kind of internet-obsessed generation are we actually raising here. :tongue:
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Triple, some kids under 13 do play it. I know I allow my 7 year old to play it since she watched me play it.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Can I make a hat out of a raccoon?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top