March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You can own foxes (AND RACCOONS!)

Comments

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited August 2017
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    This just took bizarre to a whole new level. Foxes are dangerous animals. I would have loved to be in the group meeting when they thought it was a good idea to let Sims OWN THEM. How did they justify this?

Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was too busy feeding my neighbor Vampire to my cowplant. Come again?

BE GONE Debbie Downer :|

PS: foxes can be pets
    Sir, it is a travesty that I have but only one Awesome to give. Indeed The Sims universe is rife with extremely dangerous things. Foxes would be low on the list compared to carnivorous plants and blood-sucking revenants.
  • kellzakellza Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2017
    I absolutely love foxes, so I'm happy to see you can have one as a pet! Since I'll never be able to own one here in Australia :/

As for talk about being able to have them as pets - it seems quite a few countries have different sorts of foxes as pets :) One of the videos I watched a while back when looking this up, it shows a red fox acting like a dog. So cute!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_AtP7au_Q9w

Ugh I want one in real life!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    It was just confirmed by Grant that foxes can be owned and created in cas.

So for those of you upset about no horses, apparently foxes replaced them.

Wonder if we can own racoons too or any other animals not yet confirmed, if any.

Source: http://simscommunity.info/2017/08/22/no-cats-dogs-expansion-pack-wont-only-have-cats-and-dogs/
    Yeeessss!!!!!!!!
  • HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member
    All of my sims are getting foxes. Every. Single. One.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I was going to start a new legacy but now I may have to wait because my founder is definitely the type to own a fox lol.
    ~ ~ ~
    edited August 2017
    You can now add raccoons to the list.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    You can now add raccoons to the list.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 i love it
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Im so confused lol. Will they have the same needs?
    21mbz47.jpg
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Im so confused lol. Will they have the same needs?

Yes. Think I'm going to make a fox for my simself to have as a pet and a raccoon for other sim households.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I hope Raccoons and Foxes don't bark, lmao.

They need to add relevant animal sounds.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

I just hope they'll act very differently from cats and dogs.

This is definitely pretty cool. I guess they tried to make up for the lack of horses, which really were one of the most unique features of TS3.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Those raccoons better have the creepy little hands they got in real life.
    6riwm5.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't foxes attack smaller animals? Aren't raccoons the poster-animal for rabies? I'm side-eyeing it all
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited August 2017
    This just took bizarre to a whole new level. Foxes are dangerous animals. I would have loved to be in the group meeting when they thought it was a good idea to let Sims OWN THEM. How did they justify this?

They're also terrible pets. Not domesticated means they can't take no for an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneUrLX6CTc

Random fun fact: the most appreciated atypical pet species is actually the Skunk. Skunks - if you remove the stink gland - are apparently pretty intelligent and very loving, so when atypical pet owners are polled on which pet they like most, Skunks beat out things like foxes and raccoons, who just tend to annoy their owners and cause all sorts of problems with their antics.

In terms of gameplay, the question is if these are truly foxes and raccoons or if it's just a reskinned dog. I highly suspect the latter since Raccoons in particular have a lot of personality in them that would be difficult to account for. For all their bragging about how "WE TRIED TO STRESS PET PERSONALITY," it would seem really weird to include Foxes and Raccoons that just act like dogs. Both are highly clever and mischevious to a level that dogs and cats just aren't really capable of.

If they're just reskins, well...yeah, that sounds par for the course for Sims 4: gameplay?? Naaaaaah we don't need that! Here's a hotdog costume for your "raccoon." Look at how much more fun you're having now even though nothing has actually changed!!!!
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    EA, show us the creepy little gremlin hands we so desire.
    6riwm5.png
  • asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    This is cool but... I'm just hoping we get a big patch with other smaller pets like rabbits, hamsters, feedable fish, turtles, birds, etc. We got a big toddler patch so why not.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Pretty sure the fox is just a dog reskin (it's not that hard to just change colors and call it a fox), pretty sure the needs and behaviors will be the same, same for the raccoon. Raccoons' behavior is totally different from dogs and cats in real life, and I'm pretty sure they didn't really create the raccoon from scratch, they just changed the colors, and called it a raccoon.

I bet you that tomorrow they will say that we'll get wolves too.
    gCQKjq4.png
    They ought to patch in opossums. Solid animal. Beautiful animal. It's also extremely rare for them to contract rabies so that'll be comforting for those who are terrified their sims will catch Sim Rabies and start foaming at the mouth before eating their young.
    6riwm5.png
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking...wouldn't be surprised if they're just re-skinned dogs. I do hope they have some elements of uniqueness to them even if it's just sounds and a maybe a couple of animations.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

They're also terrible pets. Not domesticated means they can't take no for an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneUrLX6CTc

Random fun fact: the most appreciated atypical pet species is actually the Skunk. Skunks - if you remove the stink gland - are apparently pretty intelligent and very loving, so when atypical pet owners are polled on which pet they like most, Skunks beat out things like foxes and raccoons, who just tend to annoy their owners and cause all sorts of problems with their antics.

In terms of gameplay, the question is if these are truly foxes and raccoons or if it's just a reskinned dog. I highly suspect the latter since Raccoons in particular have a lot of personality in them that would be difficult to account for. For all their bragging about how "WE TRIED TO STRESS PET PERSONALITY," it would seem really weird to include Foxes and Raccoons that just act like dogs. Both are highly clever and mischevious to a level that dogs and cats just aren't really capable of.

If they're just reskins, well...yeah, that sounds par for the course for Sims 4: gameplay?? Naaaaaah we don't need that! Here's a hotdog costume for your "raccoon." Look at how much more fun you're having now even though nothing has actually changed!!!!

All your post did was make me want foxes more. Here's praying they're unique.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    edited August 2017
    Don't foxes attack smaller animals? Aren't raccoons the poster-animal for rabies? I'm side-eyeing it all

I come from a place where there's a LOT of raccoons, and we are told to not feed them cause they can have diseases like rabies, plus feeding wild animals is dangerous not only for humans (they are unpredictable, and do bite), but for the animals too, they get use to it, and then when winter come they starve to death. In my country (Canada) it's illegal to own raccoons as pets, in the US it's illegal in some states, and the ones allowing it you need a permit for it, but even then good 🐸🐸🐸🐸 luck finding a vet, really few vets can treat raccoons.

If you love them, let them live in the wild, same for foxes.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »

I come from a place where there's a LOT of raccoons, and we are told to not feed them cause they can have diseases like rabies, plus feeding wild animals is dangerous not only for humans (they are unpredictable, and do bite), but for the animals too, they get use to it, and then when winter come they starve to death. In my country (Canada) it's illegal to own raccoons as pets, in the US it's illegal in some states, and the ones allowing it you need a permit for it, but even then good plum luck finding a vet, really few vets can treat raccoons.

Am I going to have to worry about the Fish and Wildlife Service confiscating my digital raccoon pet? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Pretty sure the fox is just a dog reskin (it's not that hard to just change colors and call it a fox), pretty sure the needs and behaviors will be the same, same for the raccoon. Raccoons' behavior is totally different from dogs and cats in real life, and I'm pretty sure they didn't really create the raccoon from scratch, they just changed the colors, and called it a raccoon.

I bet you that tomorrow they will say that we'll get wolves too.

I've already asked SimGuruDrake about wolves.
    OEII1001 wrote: »

I come from a place where there's a LOT of raccoons, and we are told to not feed them cause they can have diseases like rabies, plus feeding wild animals is dangerous not only for humans (they are unpredictable, and do bite), but for the animals too, they get use to it, and then when winter come they starve to death. In my country (Canada) it's illegal to own raccoons as pets, in the US it's illegal in some states, and the ones allowing it you need a permit for it, but even then good plum luck finding a vet, really few vets can treat raccoons.

Am I going to have to worry about the Fish and Wildlife Service confiscating my digital raccoon pet? Inquiring minds want to know.

No, but some people might go ''aww raccoons are so cute I want one in real life''. Cute=/=good pets. As pretty sure the behavior they will have in game will be different than their behavior in real life, so yea it's just more a warning that even if people enjoy owning one in the game, that it will probably not be a real representation of how they are in real life, same for foxes.

So to me personally it's just more why having an animal in game if the behavior isn't realistic?
    gCQKjq4.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top