Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Just Might Be The Last PC Version

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,790 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    The smart move is a hybrid The Sims 5.

You play TS5 like you play TS4; however, you can also play on the move with TS5 mobile.

So, basically, you allow TS5 and TSM Sims to move between versions.

It's easy enough to do - you basically import your Sim to whichever version you want to play.

It's only a case of sharing relevant data.

Everyone is a winner and everyone is happy.

I actually like this idea. It's more like an Android/iPhone app augments your TS5 experience. While the core of the gameplay still resides in the PC version, you can also take your sims along with you and do certain things on your phone or tablet.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited July 2017
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

You play TS5 like you play TS4; however, you can also play on the move with TS5 mobile.

It's easy enough to do - you basically import your Sim to whichever version you want to play.

I actually like this idea. It's more like an Android/iPhone app augments your TS5 experience. While the core of the gameplay still resides in the PC version, you can also take your sims along with you and do certain things on your phone or tablet.
    The problem is that this isn't possible because none of the expansions will be in your phone game too. So the phone game could only become a small game where you could have your sims too but do almost none of the things you were doing with your sims on your PC. Besides that the phone game would disrupt the things your sims were doing in your PC game. So it would interfere with your PC game in a bad way.

Therefore I don't think it would be worth it for EA to extend the PC game by giving us a small phone game where we could play with the same sims. If the PC was turned off then we wouldn't have access to our PC sims anyway on our phone. So it wouldn't work and I can't see how it could be useful.

Another way would be to give us tools to build houses on our phones and then transfer those houses to our PC game when we came home and had started the PC game too. But I still don't believe that it would be worth it. EA would probably even have to let us pay extra for such tools on our phones. But almost nobody would likely buy the tools.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

On September 25, 2015, Electronic Arts announced that in an organization restructure, the consolidated Maxis team would continue their work alongside the EA Mobile division, under Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President for EA Mobile and Maxis. However, the CEO of Electronic Arts added that the "collaboration" would still see most of Maxis' future products available for personal computers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxis

so you all can stop your :'(
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member

This is a great idea!
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited July 2017
    Stormsview wrote: »

On September 25, 2015, Electronic Arts announced that in an organization restructure, the consolidated Maxis team would continue their work alongside the EA Mobile division, under Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President for EA Mobile and Maxis. However, the CEO of Electronic Arts added that the "collaboration" would still see most of Maxis' future products available for personal computers.

Most.. What if The Sims is the exception? :scream:
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Croxycook wrote: »
    I really don't see this happening. At least not yet.

The portion of the PC audience that wouldn't crossover seems simply too large to justify such a change.

In general, you don't stop making a product because another one makes more money. You stop because it no longer makes enough money to continue.

Sims 4 sales are fine. It doesn't have to hit best seller lists to be financially viable. There's a very large spectrum between the most successful and total failure.

Also, The Sims games on the PC are their own genre. That's a whole sort of competition EA doesn't have like it does with its racinging or fps games.

It's likely one day in the future it's simply no longer financially viable, but it doesn't seem like now is the time.

I agree with this.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    First, mobile games generally stay on a person's phone for 48hr to 2 weeks. Most people never spend a dime. Moble games make their big bucks off a few extreme players they call "whales", these are persons that drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on their mobile habbit.

The people that are willing to shell out 60$ for a pc game are dwindling, but not because of mobile, the two groups are seprate. Basically it's being able to buy a wide variety of games, 10-40$, that are drawing people away from AAA games. That and people don't mind bugs as much when they shell out 20$ for an 'developing' game (think minecraft), but when you pay 60 for a crummy game launch from a big company, you start getting shy of things like preorders (kinda like simcity).

If anything kills the sims franchise it will be copied and mimicked by other companies, just like sim city is.

The Take Away: PC buyers are seprate from mobile "whales", as long as the game doesn't face plant in sales they will keep making it (the time between releases might slow).

Honistly 5 year turn around for their games is too short, they should be spending 6-10 years on the game, with maybe some facelifts. Imagine if they had improved graphics and bugs on sims 3 then just continue with its EP's vs having sims 4 the last few years...
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Then for me, Sims 4 will be my last Sims game.

you do not seem to upset about that.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Zoaea wrote: »
    First, mobile games generally stay on a person's phone for 48hr to 2 weeks. Most people never spend a dime. Moble games make their big bucks off a few extreme players they call "whales", these are persons that drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on their mobile habbit.
    You are wrong.

Mobile games are likely often dropped quickly by gamers who didn't like the game and therefore prefer to find another game. But they are mostly free-to-play online games that are meant to be played even for years. I play a few such games and they have a lot of high level players who either have used a lot of money on them or more likely played them all the time for many months.

The main difference between a big PC game like TS4 and a popular mobile game like the Sims Freeplay is that TS4 is a paid game that usually get a lot of paid expansions (and for TS4 more SPs and GPs than any previous Sims game) and then is replaced by a new basegame after 4 to 5 years while mobile f2p games are played almost forever. The Sims Freeplay is from 2011 and still gets a lot of new stuff every week.

For me the Sims Freeplay isn't a game that I use money on. But the reason is that I am not a builder and almost all the stuff people buy in Freeplay is only interesting for builders. Some builders participate in building competitions and if they need something badly then they of course buy it for real money.

But personally I usually never pay for extra content in f2p games. But 2 of my games have been exceptions. The reason is that those games were too slow for me but very interesting anyway. So I chose to use a few dollars on them to get started. Other players have done the same thing. But I doubt that many players ever use as much money on a f2p game as PC simmers use on TS4 and its huge number of expansions ;)
    The people that are willing to shell out 60$ for a pc game are dwindling, but not because of mobile, the two groups are seprate. Basically it's being able to buy a wide variety of games, 10-40$, that are drawing people away from AAA games. That and people don't mind bugs as much when they shell out 20$ for an 'developing' game (think minecraft), but when you pay 60 for a crummy game launch from a big company, you start getting shy of things like preorders (kinda like simcity).
    People have always bought games with bugs because bugs don't really matter that much unless the bugs make the games completely unplayable. Therefore EA also usually only fixes the most serious bugs unless the programmers by random find ways to fix other bugs too when they are testing a new expansion before its release. Fixing all bugs is too hard and expensive for such big games. So it usually isn't done.

I agree that mobile gamers and PC gamers are different groups. But only to some extent because PC gamers have mobile phones too and use them for their gaming when they aren't near their PC.
    If anything kills the sims franchise it will be copied and mimicked by other companies, just like sim city is.
    This has been done already. But simmers don't like games like Village Life or Virtual Families. But this is what you can expect from other game companies. Most likely they won't ever make real Sims games because they don't like the idea and won't buy the rights to make them from EA. This won't change just if EA can't sell the big Sims games anymore because then the companies likely will agree that the time for such games is over.
    The Take Away: PC buyers are seprate from mobile "whales", as long as the game doesn't face plant in sales they will keep making it (the time between releases might slow).
    The threat isn't from phone games. Instead it is from new devices that replaces PCs more and more. We don't know future hardware inventions. But consoles and especially smartTVs could be developed into major gaming devices that will mean the end of PC gaming.

A thing to watch out for here is the question if keyboards and the PC mouse will be replaced by other things to control computers and (in the first rounds) tablets and smartTVs? Will we soon be talking to our TVs instead of using remotes? Will the same happen to PCs? Or will new controlling devices be invented? All those things could mean a real threat to traditional PC gaming.
    Honistly 5 year turn around for their games is too short, they should be spending 6-10 years on the game, with maybe some facelifts. Imagine if they had improved graphics and bugs on sims 3 then just continue with its EP's vs having sims 4 the last few years...
    Simmers have alway meant that because they want EA to just go on releasing expansions for the same game forever. But EA doesn't make the game just to please simmers who have been playing Sims games forever. EA makes games to earn money and EA knows that sales numbers go down and expansions become more expensive and hard to make if EA doesn't release a new basegame after 4 to 5 years. New simmers are as important for EA as the veteran simmers are. But new simmers don't like to start with a game that already has more games expansions than they ever will be able to afford to buy. So EA usually makes a new basegame after 4 to 5 years.

Only mobile MMO games are different because game companies usually never make new versions of such games. At least not before nobody plays them anymore because the companies don't want to lose the huge base of gamers who still play such games (and often in alliances with friends).
  • Options

:) :)Something to chew on.....

The 600 million gamers in China generated $24.6 billion of the industry's $101.1 billion global market value over 2016, just ahead of the U.S.’s $24.1 billion. In 2015, the global games industry was worth $91.8 billion according to data from research house Newzoo. A notable contributor to the growth has been Apple's mobile app store in China. In 2016, China accounted for 31 percent of the total $18 billion generated by games on iOS, compared with just 3 percent of the $2.4 billion total in 2012.

Tom Wehmeier, principal and head of research at Atomico and author of the report published Thursday, said a number of other major milestones were passed in 2016. “We've got to the point today where there are now more than two billion gamers globally, and mobile has really taken over to the extent that it's the largest segment overall,” said Wehmeier.

In Europe and the U.S., numbers are still rising alongside investor confidence, according to Atomico. The global games industry will generate revenue of an estimated $109 billion in 2017, of which 42 percent will come from mobile titles. That will rise to as much as $129 billion by 2020, at which point mobile will overtake the combined value of all traditional platforms for games — console and PC — by generating 51 percent of the total revenue for the industry.

"Games have become truly mass market and it's a massive, massive opportunity that's only going to get bigger," Ilkka Paananen, the chief executive officer Supercell, the developer of the popular Clash of Clans mobile game, said in the report. "One of these days somebody’s going to build a game that reaches a billion users a month."

About The Sims: Released in 2000, designer Will Wright’s virtual dollhouse game, The Sims, pushed the boundaries of what a video game could be by allowing players flexibility to tell stories in an open-ended environment. Wright described it more as a toy than a game, a digital dollhouse that served as the setting for endless domestic dramas. With nearly 200 million sales in 60 countries and more than 20 languages, The Sims is the best-selling PC game franchise ever. “The game has had universal appeal, with female players outnumbering males, and adults as passionate about the game as children,” says Dyson. “And by turning the computer into a toy to explore the complexity of the human experience, The Sims radically expanded the notion of what a game could be.”
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    Stormsview wrote: »

:) :)Something to chew on.....

The 600 million gamers in China generated $24.6 billion of the industry's $101.1 billion global market value over 2016, just ahead of the U.S.’s $24.1 billion. In 2015, the global games industry was worth $91.8 billion according to data from research house Newzoo. A notable contributor to the growth has been Apple's mobile app store in China. In 2016, China accounted for 31 percent of the total $18 billion generated by games on iOS, compared with just 3 percent of the $2.4 billion total in 2012.
    The problem here is how this works for the Sims games?

I play other mobile f2p MMO games where most of the other gamers have usernames written with Chinese, Japanese or Korean "letters" and where many of the other usernames are written with Russian or Greek letters. But we don't see this here for the Sims games.
    About The Sims: Released in 2000, designer Will Wright’s virtual dollhouse game, The Sims, pushed the boundaries of what a video game could be by allowing players flexibility to tell stories in an open-ended environment. Wright described it more as a toy than a game, a digital dollhouse that served as the setting for endless domestic dramas. With nearly 200 million sales in 60 countries and more than 20 languages, The Sims is the best-selling PC game franchise ever. “The game has had universal appeal, with female players outnumbering males, and adults as passionate about the game as children,” says Dyson. “And by turning the computer into a toy to explore the complexity of the human experience, The Sims radically expanded the notion of what a game could be.”
    Will Wright had made many other similar games like SimAnt, SimEarth, SimLife, SimFarm, SimPark and SimSafari. But they weren't very successful. I don't think that even SimCity game Maxis a very high income before Maxis was bought by EA and released it in a new version along with the first Sims game.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited July 2017
    Well Maxis managed to buy out Bullfrog and promptly dump Bullfrog's brilliant game "Theme Hospital" just when I was hoping they'd actually improve it and release a new version. :( Years later they dusted off the tapes and offered it on Origin, but didn't bother to update it to make it work natively on modern PCs. You have to download some sort of utility to try and get it to run. Anyway that's why I never join in the hue and cry over the way EA treated Maxis - I know it's just karma.
  • Options
    zombiesuezombiesue Posts: 148 Member
    Revenue from mobile gaming has surpassed revenue from pc and console gaming and EA is trying to get it's share of that market.

DFC taps Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts as the ones to watch on small screens for significant growth in the future.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/13/mobile-game-revenue-finally-surpasses-pc-and-consoles/

There is no reason to believe this. Obviously, it is very rare for a game developer to drop every game except for the highest performing. Let's say that PC sales were only 10% of the money Maxis brings in from the sims franchise (and I am sure it's waaay higher than that), would you be cool to lose 10% of your income?

• Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Well Maxis managed to buy out Bullfrog and promptly dump Bullfrog's brilliant game "Theme Hospital" just when I was hoping they'd actually improve it and release a new version. :( Years later they dusted off the tapes and offered it on Origin, but didn't bother to update it to make it work natively on modern PCs. You have to download some sort of utility to try and get it to run. Anyway that's why I never join in the hue and cry over the way EA treated Maxis - I know it's just karma.
    Did you by accident write Maxis here instead of EA?

EA was Bullfrog's publisher and in 1993 negotiations between EA and Bullfrog about EA purchasing Bullfrog began. Peter Molyneaux and Les Edgar founded Bullfrog in 1987. But now Peter Molyneaux instead had become Vice President in EA and wanted to buy Bullfrog. This happened in 1994.

Then in 1997 EA bought Maxis too. But it wasn't ever Maxis who bought Bullfrog.
  • Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 300 Member
    edited July 2017
    Klthf wrote: »
    I really hope we will see a The Sims 5 for PC or that they will work on The Sims 4 for a long while. I would be very sad if they would take the mobile route. I like Freeplay, but it is severely limited. I fear any mobile version of The Sims would be limited, stuffed with microtransactions for everything. In Freeplay you sometimes have to pay 10 euros for just some chairs. Compared to that, Stuff Packs are a very good deal.

Well usually problem with F2P models are that you usually at one point or another hit a pay wall, where progressing is either virtually impossible without micro-transaction purchases or gameplay become so insufferable at hard not to if you wish to enjoy the gameplay. Seen a few F2P where you can play game on almost same level as without, just slightly slower or requiring a little more work. Leaving most of the micro-transaction down to cosmetic stuff, but in general my experience with mobile F2P stuff is usually it's a money cow filled with micro-transaction payment wall designs.

So in other words i think you're concerns are quite legit and there
  • Options

do you still have the game to play.?
  • Options

Did you know you can buy Theme Hospital from Origin for just 4.99 so they still have it for you to play.... :)<3 I will buy the game as well lol.
  • Options
    Klthf wrote: »
    I really hope we will see a The Sims 5 for PC or that they will work on The Sims 4 for a long while. I would be very sad if they would take the mobile route. I like Freeplay, but it is severely limited. I fear any mobile version of The Sims would be limited, stuffed with microtransactions for everything. In Freeplay you sometimes have to pay 10 euros for just some chairs. Compared to that, Stuff Packs are a very good deal.

Well usually problem with F2P models are that you usually at one point or another hit a pay wall, where progressing is either virtually impossible without micro-transaction purchases or gameplay become so insufferable at hard not to if you wish to enjoy the gameplay. Seen a few F2P where you can play game on almost same level as without, just slightly slower or requiring a little more work. Leaving most of the micro-transaction down to cosmetic stuff, but in general my experience with mobile F2P stuff is usually it's a money cow filled with micro-transaction payment wall designs.

So in other words i think you're concerns are quite legit and there
    I haven't ever hit a pay wall in any F2P game. But some of them are very aggressive encouraging you to buy something worthless every time you start he game up. Still you can just close the window every time (which I usually do).

I have seen some games that are too slow for me in the beginning if I don't pay a little to get just a little VIP or buy some game cash which I can use on expanding the area to build on. But later in those games it isn't at all important to pay for anything.

Other F2P games don't need you to pay at all. But in a few of them you need to watch a lot of 30 sec advertising videos to get things that you need. But in most of those games not more videos than it at least for me is acceptable anyway.

Still TS4 is a paid PC game which gives EA huge income from selling expansions. Therefore the big PC versions of the Sims will never become a F2P game too like the Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile already are.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I actually picked up "Theme Hospital" awhile back when Origin had it "On The House". I didn't have to pay a cent for it. I haven't played it yet, because I've been busy with my Sims (2, 3, and 4) families.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yeah but keep in mind, just because we have had multiple sims games, that does not mean they are going to keep making them forever. And if they do make a sims 5, I am going to continue playing sims 4. That is the only sims game I will play, WHEN i play. Also, i hope that if they do continue on that endeavor , that sims 5 is dramatically more advanced and impressive than any sims game ever before to justify creating an entirely new version of the same game.

Somehow I agree with this.

If they do plan a TS5 they need to make it only if it's to be a clear crystal advancement on the series. I feel like TS4 was made as a money maker instead of an actual improvement. In fact since it's a recycled mmo engine, it couldn't be more right than that.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    I actually picked up "Theme Hospital" awhile back when Origin had it "On The House". I didn't have to pay a cent for it. I haven't played it yet, because I've been busy with my Sims (2, 3, and 4) families.

This game has been free on and off, even with a different platform. I just hope this guy has the game, he seems to love it a lot. :)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,418 Member
    edited July 2017
    Revenue from mobile gaming has surpassed revenue from pc and console gaming and EA is trying to get it's share of that market.

Hmmm ... except for The Sims (and TS3 Store) which brought millions of revenue each years, it's more than The Sims FreePlay.

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,418 Member
    edited July 2017

Which means nothing when you know since September 2016 Samantha Ryan leads EA Mobile, Maxis and BioWare.

https://www.ea.com/news/an-organizational-update?isLocalized=true
    The formation of EA Worldwide Studios. At a time when players are engaged in games across more devices, the tenets of making great HD and mobile experiences are converging. Our ability to blend our strengths to deliver amazing games across genres, geographies and platforms, in a networked environment, is central to our future success. EA Worldwide Studios will bring together our top creative talent in all of our great studios to work on EA’s powerful brand portfolio and new IP. EA Mobile and Maxis will join this central studios organization led by Patrick Söderlund. Samantha Ryan, who will now report to Patrick, will continue to lead our Mobile and Maxis teams. Sam will also take on leadership of BioWare, where her love for RPGs and experience with open-world adventure games is an outstanding fit to work with Aaryn Flynn and his great team.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Yeah but keep in mind, just because we have had multiple sims games, that does not mean they are going to keep making them forever. And if they do make a sims 5, I am going to continue playing sims 4. That is the only sims game I will play, WHEN i play. Also, i hope that if they do continue on that endeavor , that sims 5 is dramatically more advanced and impressive than any sims game ever before to justify creating an entirely new version of the same game.

Somehow I agree with this.

If they do plan a TS5 they need to make it only if it's to be a clear crystal advancement on the series. I feel like TS4 was made as a money maker instead of an actual improvement. In fact since it's a recycled mmo engine, it couldn't be more right than that.

TS4 was made from the scraps from Olympus and did not go through the same development as the predecessors which has been close to a disaster at times.

If they make TS5 ten it needs to follow on from TS3 rather than be a side game. If it looks good then I would not doubt for a second that it could be successful and The Sims will really thrive! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I don't play the mobile versions now and I won't in the future either. So if this was the last pc version then so be it, I will move on. Of course we don't even know so..
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.