Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it devastating that Sims automatically know another Sim's phone number?

plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
I think it is.

With romantic interactions a Sim can attempt to 'Exchange Numbers'. However, they already know the Sim's telephone number.

I find this deeply annoying.

We should never have automatically known other Sim's telephone numbers WITHOUT 'obtaining' them. This would mean other Sims could REFUSE/DECLINE to exchange numbers.

We would have had more gameplay/roleplay this way - ie trying to get someone's telephone number - perhaps via a friend of theirs, rummaging through a trashcan, etc.

I just find it deeply annoying that the 'Exchange Numbers' interaction is completely fake and pointless.

EDIT:
This should also work for OUR Sims - ie our Sim's telephone numbers are not automatically known by everyone to pester us with stuff.

Comments

• Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I agree! It bugs me because I constantly get sims inviting my sims out to dinner, telling them it's great they met another sim or congratulating them. Sims I didn't even know existed are calling constantly at ridiculous times and it's really annoying, even worse when it's ghosts :neutral:
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    This is the same government that kills children for failing school and whose idea of solving the case of starving and neglected kids is to "mercy kill" them, too. Of course in such a society there'd be no data privacy, either. No opting out of the phonebook for you!

If you want to roleplay the process of exchanging phone numbers, try the "show pictures" interaction where they show each other their phones. And be prepared to have an extra file ready at your desktop where you keep track of who knows whose number.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I don't mind at all :p
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    Given the fact that I'd have to go through a loading screen just to track down a sim to get their number-you'd have no way of knowing where they are unless they live in a house and you can map hop searching to see if they are home, I think it'd be more annoying to have to hunt someone down for a number. Sure, it'd make it more realistic to have numbers exchanged in that 'moment' but how many people would be into investing the time to get individual numbers? When you wanted to do an invite to a party you'd have to ask all those folks for their numbers and you'd have to cultivate a friendship to a status where they won't refuse. It would take nearly half your sim's life cycle set to normal to get enough numbers for a party. Not to mention people who play multiple households. That would be a pain to have to get the numbers all over again.

I do agree that random sim invites should be dialed down a bit, as they can get annoying.I think you can set your phone to vibrate.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    Gege wrote: »
    Given the fact that I'd have to go through a loading screen just to track down a sim to get their number-you'd have no way of knowing where they are unless they live in a house and you can map hop searching to see if they are home, I think it'd be more annoying to have to hunt someone down for a number. Sure, it'd make it more realistic to have numbers exchanged in that 'moment' but how many people would be into investing the time to get individual numbers? When you wanted to do an invite to a party you'd have to ask all those folks for their numbers and you'd have to cultivate a friendship to a status where they won't refuse. It would take nearly half your sim's life cycle set to normal to get enough numbers for a party. Not to mention people who play multiple households. That would be a pain to have to get the numbers all over again.

I do agree that random sim invites should be dialed down a bit, as they can get annoying.I think you can set your phone to vibrate.
    Yeh, but you could invite people to your party and say 'bring a friend'.

Also bare in mind that you can 'harvest' phone numbers from people that you know - ie a teen that knows at least one other teen could attempt to get further numbers.

I want it purely for the extra game-play element.

ie - Imagine a Sim CHANGING their phone number.

Lots of game-play can come from these telephone numbers - wrong numbers, etc.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Nah, it's too complicated.
    It's not really a gameplay thing, it's a needed function.
    It's always been like that. I remember in Sims 2 when you started a new game you'd, well I would always buy a phone first, along with the bulgrar alarm.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i just wish the silence button actually worked.
    i'm tired of getting obsessive calls from weirdo townies i have no interest in.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    i just wish the silence button actually worked.
    i'm tired of getting obsessive calls from weirdo townies i have no interest in.

This is true though
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think it's needed also. Once you meet someone and know their name you can usually look up the number if you want. I wouldn't want to get to a certain relationship scale to be able to call every single sim in town.
    I have a bigger beef with the amount of phone calls and texts in general that come in. Sometimes inappropriately.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Someone else had mentioned wanting a way to store up invitations so you can revisit them later. That's something I would like. Sometimes my sim would be interested in hanging out with someone else but not at 2 am and not getting breakfast together after they have just eaten. I try to remember who called when I can and if it's someone interesting then I invite them out later.

Exchanging numbers does tend to signal that you would welcome the other sim inviting you out again later.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    Have you been complaining about this since 2000 since this has been the case since The Sims. (?) No, it's not annoying to be able to call a Sim you have met. What is more annoying is everyone having a phone..since TS3 which I have complained about it.

It's like conditioning...this is the correct way to live, everyone gets a phone, forced into their body, so they can't hide from any phone call, or stranger, that's what is more annoying. But I do agree 'exchange phone numbers' is nonsensical since they already have it, and why TS4 lacks common sense and depth to gameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Exchanging numbers ensures that the relationship is not culled, even if the relationship bars get very low.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

At least they got rid of the adults inviting kids out to the nightclubs and restaurants. Baby steps and all that. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options

At least they got rid of the adults inviting kids out to the nightclubs and restaurants. Baby steps and all that. B)
    Try sending a Happy text to a kid - the suckers will be on you like a rat up a turnip.
  • Options
    AltruantSludgeAltruantSludge Posts: 44 Member
    I always assumed "exchange numbers" opened the target up to asking your sim on a date, rather than the general hang out invites.
  • Options
    Exchanging numbers ensures that the relationship is not culled, even if the relationship bars get very low.

Who says? Any relationship below the fifty percent mark is at risk to be culled according to devs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Who says? Any relationship below the fifty percent mark is at risk to be culled according to devs.

Do you have a source for that ?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,574 Member
    I guess I don't have issues with this. In fact, when I have a potential couple exchange phone numbers, I love how they kiss the phone. As for strangers getting my Sims' numbers, that happens in real life all of the time. It's called dialing random sets of numbers until you get a hit.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    Frankly, it's hostile and aggressive.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    One of my Sims went on one date with this guy. Only one. She's now married to another Sim, yet he calls multiple times each day. It's rather annoying.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »

Uh, yeah, one guru explained the relationship culling here months and months ago. Granted they may have added some sort of pin for the 'exchange phone numbers' after they tweaked relationship culling but everyone knows (or should by now) if your Sims aren't at the half way mark they are more apt to lose their relationship points to each other and the relationship get culled if you wait too long to build it back up.
  • Options
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    One of my Sims went on one date with this guy. Only one. She's now married to another Sim, yet he calls multiple times each day. It's rather annoying.

~~Obsession~~~
  • Options
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    I think it is.

With romantic interactions a Sim can attempt to 'Exchange Numbers'. However, they already know the Sim's telephone number.

I find this deeply annoying.

We should never have automatically known other Sim's telephone numbers WITHOUT 'obtaining' them. This would mean other Sims could REFUSE/DECLINE to exchange numbers.

We would have had more gameplay/roleplay this way - ie trying to get someone's telephone number - perhaps via a friend of theirs, rummaging through a trashcan, etc.

I just find it deeply annoying that the 'Exchange Numbers' interaction is completely fake and pointless.

EDIT:
    This should also work for OUR Sims - ie our Sim's telephone numbers are not automatically known by everyone to pester us with stuff.
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Yeh, but you could invite people to your party and say 'bring a friend'.

Also bare in mind that you can 'harvest' phone numbers from people that you know - ie a teen that knows at least one other teen could attempt to get further numbers.

I want it purely for the extra game-play element.

ie - Imagine a Sim CHANGING their phone number.

Lots of game-play can come from these telephone numbers - wrong numbers, etc.
    I agree with this 100%!
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited July 2017
    Neia wrote: »

Uh, yeah, one guru explained the relationship culling here months and months ago. Granted they may have added some sort of pin for the 'exchange phone numbers' after they tweaked relationship culling but everyone knows (or should by now) if your Sims aren't at the half way mark they are more apt to lose their relationship points to each other and the relationship get culled if you wait too long to build it back up.

I don't recall the devs ever gave an in-depth explanation about how relationship culling works. You may find it useful to check how it works again, because what you think everyone should know isn't how it works. There's a bit more to it than what you describe here. ;)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited July 2017
    Nik24X7 wrote: »

For simmers having issues with texts being sent, you may like to,post on this AHQ EA thread.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/COLLECTION-THREAD-GT-Weird-Text-Messages/m-p/5022962#M18753