Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Great! Back to dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    The fitness stuff pack seems completely unnecessary and uninspired. I hope the pack is fantastic and changes my mind but for now I am very disappointed in sports and fitness. Was hoping to see cars and garages. Maybe a stay at home parent pack with laundry and at home activities for the kids and parents with home schooling. Celebrity career, singer skill. Idk, I just think there is more to be added and the game doesn't need fitness stuff. I hope I'm wrong but it's just my opinion.

I agree with this message 100% :)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I'd rather have 3 Game Packs and an EP tbh.
    We'll probably get Game Pack 3 in Q4.

Expansions have been underwhelming since Bon Voyage for me. Game Packs got me addicted more so because the focus is incredible.

Free Time onwards it felt like every idea gets started but never fleshed out as you'd expect.

I agree GPs are great... the vampires one did it for me. EPs have been dissapointed for me , but such basic features like weather and pets shouldn't take this long.
    While it doesn't necessarily apply to me personally, a large chunk of family players feel like they haven't been catered to enough and so I'm happy they're getting a pack dedicated to their playstyle. (I tend to think just about every pack works with families, but they prefer their semantics, so whatever.)

As someone else mentioned the teaser only shows content through to June. We still have half a year left of surprises.

The GP right now seems quite boring, but it's just a teaser I actually think it could be fun as a GP. The SP to me it's just dissapointing and the lack of EPs it's just getting annoying

Pets and Weather/Seasons have always taken about 3+ years into development -- look at the pattern from both Sims 2 and Sims 3 (or original Sims for Pets since it didn't get Seasons).

EA spoiled us in Sims 3 with the 2 EP teams -- that's why we got so many EPs. Now there's only one EP team, but we've got a new format, GPs, which can take a single theme and go in-depth with it. And they've gotten better with each one -- I still consider Spa Day one of my favorite packs of all time because of the depth of content: yoga and meditation for activities, a new skill, lots of build mode content for builders, some gorgeous decor items, etc.

Many people in Sims 3 complained that Generations was "too skimpy" to be a true EP. I think many of the features lend themselves well to a GP. And now that we have toddlers it makes perfect sense to have a pack that focuses on family life and relationships. The Sims are "growing up"and settling down with the family.

As for the SP, I don't normally expect to be "wowed" by an SP -- Kids Room Stuff might have been an exception to that rule -- but Fitness Stuff could be a good pack; if it provides some good decor my gyms could use a makeover, and maybe we get a new piece of fitness equipment like an exercise bike to go with the treadmill and weights.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    B_E2009 wrote: »
    I am not disappointed that there is not going to be an EP this quarter. To be honest, I would rather have only GPs for the rest of the Sims 4 and make up the deficit in clothing and objects with stuff packs.

EPs are buggy (Detective Career is one of my biggest grievances at the moment), with lazy animations (like the elevator teleport), badly incorporated content (basketball and aliens for example) and features that can't be customised or transferred to other worlds (like apartments and festivals). In my opinion, all of the EPs, except for Get Together, have not given me any value for money. I think Get To Work should never have been an EP, but its content should have been divided into Game Packs and Stuff Packs. I mean three active careers in a GP would have been pretty sweet, especially if they added Magnolia Promenade too. Maybe this approach would have paved the way for more active career GPs too, like singer, artist, or actor/actress. The retail system could have been introduced in another GP, like restaurants, which, at least, would have made it a bit more functional. Aliens could have had their own GP too, with a residential and expanded Sixam, more customisation and career options. Stuff Packs with themes like Retail and Futuristic/Sci-Fi, would have added any lacking CAS and Buy items. If they had done it that way, we would have been flooded with choice and content and probably had to deal with less glitches and lazy animations. Any space issues could have been resolved with a New World GP, or a free update. More expensive yes, but in the long run, I think it would have given us better value.

I hope that this is their new approach now or they start to really improve their EPs. Fitness seems to match Spa Day quite well and if the Wedding and Dangerous Stuff come to fruition, it would go great with the new family orientated GP, eradicating the need for a Generations Pack altogether. University wouldn't necessarily have to be an EP either, just a Game Pack with a campus, now we already have so much YA orientated game play with clubs and parties. Bowling Stuff and the potential Arcade Stuff would go great with a University GP too. I just hope Pets, if it's being released as an EP, comes with a massive world, like Old Town in the Sims 1 Unleashed, to make it worth it.

GPs would only be one of the three. A gp is one theme indepth - so would have needed a gp for each career and another for retail. That is why it was an ep.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Dunno why there's pages of people claiming Pets and Seasons always take ages. If this were Sims 3, we'd have pets by now. (2 years 3 months) If this were Sims 2, we'd have both Pets and Seasons by now. (2 years 1 month for pets, 2 years 6 months for Seasons)
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Dunno why there's pages of people claiming Pets and Seasons always take ages. If this were Sims 3, we'd have pets by now. (2 years 3 months) If this were Sims 2, we'd have both Pets and Seasons by now. (2 years 1 month for pets, 2 years 6 months for Seasons)

When Sims 2 and Sims 3 started out as a base game - it was a complete base game - you have to admit and most of us agree that when Sims 4 started out it was not a finished product at all and spent the first 6 months just catching up. So you can't compare. Also Sims 2 the whole of Maxis worked together on eps - Sims 3 had 2 full ep teams, a sp team, and even a full Store team at a different location (Salt Lake City EA). So each rendition of the Sims has been developed differently - so you can't compare. Also I understand pets and Seasons are both huge eps - takes a lot of technical work - pets has it's own CAS unlike most eps - and claimed to be the most time consuming. I am not sure about your timeline but the devs mentioned several times that the Sims 3 PETS alone took three years to build which if it was out before the three year mark of the game was apparently started before the base game was even finished unless they have a time machine we don't know about. But the fact remains they had an entire team just on that ep and they took 3 years - while in Sims 4 they have 1 ep team and it has been actively making eps since the game came out - so unless they can possibly be two places at one time or have that time machine - how would they possibly have all that time free to work in a full pets ep this early in the game? Sims 4 will not even be three until September. I think they have been a bit busy with GTW, GT, and CL over these first 2 and a half years.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I just said in another thread that they should go back to at least two EP every year every six months with two EPs in between to give players something to look forward to every three months rather than some random new release that not everyone is going to afford at the same time :(

We have two years left still no pets OR weather ... so superstars, more supernaturals, university ... I would love to know what they are planning on doing with that. Wait for the sims 5?

The Sims 5 is our only hope. At the moment I just feel like they are just biding their time with TS4 and when it is time to move on I think that everyone would be relived

So if TS5 comes out and turns out to be a disappointment, will you start hoping for TS6 or go back to TS3? :F
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    I feel like this year will be like 2012 for The Sims 3... :wink: much more content is awaiting us!
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I really want two expansion packs dang!
  • Options
    2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    @12JEREMIA- same here. But you never know, Q3 July-September could bring Expansion Pack #4 (Pets- fingers crossed). And even though it's not necessarily within the same year... maybe Expansion Pack #5 will hit us out of nowhere around Q1-2018 January-March. Look how close the two game packs we got are. Vampires January and now Family possibly May. That's 4 months between. And game packs are awesome and totally worth $20 USD.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    @2HubbiesNLove W-w-w-w-w......... What? What does EP5 gonna be right after EP4 the Pets? What theme will it be weather?
  • Options
    Who knows. I definitely have a strong feeling about Pets. Modders have found Pet codes in the scripts and there's been a lot of news speculation on Pets, as well as Gurus digging around for ideas on Pets. After Pets, who knows? Maybe Seasons/Weather or a School/University pack. I still think Seasons/Weather could be towards the last of the expansions. If you think about it... with a Education/School Life pack you would also need to include Spring Break, Holiday Break, Summer Break, etc.. Unless they did an expansion pack based on weather and not seasons, and then released a couple of seasonal themed GPs.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

When Sims 2 and Sims 3 started out as a base game - it was a complete base game - you have to admit and most of us agree that when Sims 4 started out it was not a finished product at all and spent the first 6 months just catching up. So you can't compare. Also Sims 2 the whole of Maxis worked together on eps - Sims 3 had 2 full ep teams, a sp team, and even a full Store team at a different location (Salt Lake City EA). So each rendition of the Sims has been developed differently - so you can't compare. Also I understand pets and Seasons are both huge eps - takes a lot of technical work - pets has it's own CAS unlike most eps - and claimed to be the most time consuming. I am not sure about your timeline but the devs mentioned several times that the Sims 3 PETS alone took three years to build which if it was out before the three year mark of the game was apparently started before the base game was even finished unless they have a time machine we don't know about. But the fact remains they had an entire team just on that ep and they took 3 years - while in Sims 4 they have 1 ep team and it has been actively making eps since the game came out - so unless they can possibly be two places at one time or have that time machine - how would they possibly have all that time free to work in a full pets ep this early in the game? Sims 4 will not even be three until September. I think they have been a bit busy with GTW, GT, and CL over these first 2 and a half years.

....Are you seriously making excuses for their slowness by saying it's ok that they're slow because development has been slow so it makes sense the existing slowness would slow down future projects even further...?

Wth that's the entire point!!
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I am not disappointed that there is not going to be an EP this quarter. To be honest, I would rather have only GPs for the rest of the Sims 4 and make up the deficit in clothing and objects with stuff packs.

EPs are buggy (Detective Career is one of my biggest grievances at the moment), with lazy animations (like the elevator teleport), badly incorporated content (basketball and aliens for example) and features that can't be customised or transferred to other worlds (like apartments and festivals). In my opinion, all of the EPs, except for Get Together, have not given me any value for money. I think Get To Work should never have been an EP, but its content should have been divided into Game Packs and Stuff Packs. I mean three active careers in a GP would have been pretty sweet, especially if they added Magnolia Promenade too. Maybe this approach would have paved the way for more active career GPs too, like singer, artist, or actor/actress. The retail system could have been introduced in another GP, like restaurants, which, at least, would have made it a bit more functional. Aliens could have had their own GP too, with a residential and expanded Sixam, more customisation and career options. Stuff Packs with themes like Retail and Futuristic/Sci-Fi, would have added any lacking CAS and Buy items. If they had done it that way, we would have been flooded with choice and content and probably had to deal with less glitches and lazy animations. Any space issues could have been resolved with a New World GP, or a free update. More expensive yes, but in the long run, I think it would have given us better value.

I hope that this is their new approach now or they start to really improve their EPs. Fitness seems to match Spa Day quite well and if the Wedding and Dangerous Stuff come to fruition, it would go great with the new family orientated GP, eradicating the need for a Generations Pack altogether. University wouldn't necessarily have to be an EP either, just a Game Pack with a campus, now we already have so much YA orientated game play with clubs and parties. Bowling Stuff and the potential Arcade Stuff would go great with a University GP too. I just hope Pets, if it's being released as an EP, comes with a massive world, like Old Town in the Sims 1 Unleashed, to make it worth it.

GPs would only be one of the three. A gp is one theme indepth - so would have needed a gp for each career and another for retail. That is why it was an ep.

I sometimes wish that they'd separated the retail from the careers -- they could have put more detail into the careers (maybe even allowed active Sims to visit the doctor for more than just giving birth) and into the aliens, then combined retail with Dine Out.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Who knows. I definitely have a strong feeling about Pets. Modders have found Pet codes in the scripts and there's been a lot of news speculation on Pets, as well as Gurus digging around for ideas on Pets. After Pets, who knows? Maybe Seasons/Weather or a School/University pack. I still think Seasons/Weather could be towards the last of the expansions. If you think about it... with a Education/School Life pack you would also need to include Spring Break, Holiday Break, Summer Break, etc.. Unless they did an expansion pack based on weather and not seasons, and then released a couple of seasonal themed GPs.

And that means nothing seeing we saw code and other toddler related info in the data since the game came out and long before the CEO picture that they tried to camouflage us finding it for. In Sims 2 we had tons of Season data - I mean tons not just a few bits when the game came out but issues with the ep kept the eps from being made for half the life of Sims 2. It is not unusual to also find data and content in programming that never gets used - I have seen it in Sims 1-2- and 3 - I am sure Sims 4 is no different. I recall in sims 2 clothes, Sims, hairs, lamps, and other items - some of which modders pulled out of the programming and made usable - same with Sims 3. But for what ever reason some things get programmed in that is not always going to be used right away, if at all even in some cases. Usually there is even nothing wrong with the content - they just decided to not use some of it - so finding anything in the data and programming does not always mean it is coming. Odds are some of it is - but rarely all of it. The game though showed the toddler life stage marker in the data bin and programming the day we got the game - it never guaranteed we would get them though but when they decided to work on them - they had easier access without a major recode to add them - they already had a place in the game if needed.

You can never guarantee anything is coming to the game just because you see snippets of it in the data or programming - believe me - all game devs do that - just in case. If you believe everything you find will be in game - you are really going to lead yourself to disappointment in some cases. Hey I am still waiting for some of the cool stuff we found in Sims 3's programming. Angels and super heroes in Sims 3 would have been cool if you ask me.

Just finding the stuff in the programming is a positive in the fact you know pets are possible - it is the when that finding it never answers.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    thesims4queenthesims4queen Posts: 45 Member
    The fitness stuff pack seems completely unnecessary and uninspired. I hope the pack is fantastic and changes my mind but for now I am very disappointed in sports and fitness. Was hoping to see cars and garages. Maybe a stay at home parent pack with laundry and at home activities for the kids and parents with home schooling. Celebrity career, singer skill. Idk, I just think there is more to be added and the game doesn't need fitness stuff. I hope I'm wrong but it's just my opinion.

I agree with this message 100% :)

• Options
    thesims4queenthesims4queen Posts: 45 Member

I sometimes wish that they'd separated the retail from the careers -- they could have put more detail into the careers (maybe even allowed active Sims to visit the doctor for more than just giving birth) and into the aliens, then combined retail with Dine Out.

• Options

....Are you seriously making excuses for their slowness by saying it's ok that they're slow because development has been slow so it makes sense the existing slowness would slow down future projects even further...?

Wth that's the entire point!!

Do you do programming? You cannot snap your fingers or wiggle your nose and make an ep appear. If you know programming a game as complex as the Sims you would realize this.

You call it excuses - I call it as not everything is instantaneous just because you want it. Like I said in my other post Sims 2 planned weather/seasons from the beginning had everything ready to go and bumped into obstacles and at one point in development even thought they would never get past those obstacles - but finally did. Then we got Seasons.

Programming as an idea is one thing - imputing that idea into a feasible program is not something you can just will into the game. Think about it - if it was so easy why is it no other company will even attempt to topple the Sims like games. Even the ones who very much wanted to - like Paradox said it was way too big for them after much thought on it. They really wanted to and Paradox has all programming and animators on their team.

You think it is so easy - why do you not apply then to work for Maxis? Show them how it's done if you can do it faster or better.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

I so agree with that.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member

How about they slow down the production of SP, and put those resources on the EP team? The Sims 2 had 10 SP total, the Sims 3 had 9, we have 10 so far, and know for sure we will get at least 2 more, the fitness one and the voting one, but I bet we will get more, if they keep it up the way it is now the Sims 4 will end with around 20 SP, it's double of what the Sims 2 and Sims 3 had, but if the EP stay at what they are the Sims 4 could end with only 6 EP, do I need to say it would be the Sims game with the less EP that ever have been done?

I do not know how many teams there was on each kind of pack on each Sims game, but somewhere along the way seem like the SP team got more people and the EP team got less or something did happen in the management. I don't know who's working on which team, but Graham used to be on the EP team (or I dunno if he was on the team, but I do know he worked on WA in the S3) and now is on the SP team, so that's at least one person that could be moved toward EP, if the others don't have the knowledge and experience to be able to help if they was reassigned to an other team then maybe they should fire them and hire people that could work on the GP and EP teams if needed.

There's so much people that want to work in the gaming industry and struggle to find a job, why EA would pick limited employees that cannot be reassigned if they decided to cut down a kind of pack to put more on an other?
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017
    @MissCherie The SP team has a whole slough of resources and skills it doesn't need because of the budget limits per pack. It doesn't have world-building, or much in the way of new system coding (think, active/semiactive career structure, ownership system, supernatural power systems, vacation system...), or new meshes (like Pets would need). We've seen a new NPC in an SP, but one that might have used existing resources created for the Nanny (which was coming from the same team that had the Toddlers budget). We haven't even seen a new lot type. If all the SP team were turned over to the EP team, they might speed up a few corners of EP development, but those would get bottlenecked by all the other disciplines that SPs wouldn't be adding. And in return, we'd only get less frequent, and probably less overall, content.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    @Writin_Reg... so true, I do agree that just because people have found codes, and resources have stated that TS4 team has been looking into Pets-related sources, doesn't necessarily mean a Pets EP is on the way, or that there will ever be Pets. But looking back on previous themes and content that has been released due to script codes, just makes me assume, and get my hopes up that Pets is on the horizon very soon.

Remember before vampires were released all the script codes found? And of course, there were people who were arguing your point that just because a script file was found related to vampires doesn't make it so. Then 4 months later Vampires came out. The same happened with toddlers. There were news sources spreading speculations and rumors all over the net about toddler-named script codes found in the programming system. It's happened quite a bit in the past... especially with Kids Room. And no, it's not been confirmed by Maxis, but just by how the past special gems found in the codes, then 4 to 5 months the announcement confirmed related on the rumors/speculations, I'm going to stick with my gut feeling on this.
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    I clearly haven't seen what we have to come maybe something not related to the quarter I just feel like I'm stuck in the " are we getting this pack for real?" At the moment I think adding these stuff packs just made wanna quit playing TS4 pets or not, I'll still be confused on how this would be a better thing to give us before pets or not pets depending on the future.
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member

Having read all of that. I agree more ep's please ( "expansion packs" ) a game lacking in base game content needs expanding. Also not to burst the pets fans bubble but I bet its a gp sense the coding Added last patch only shows cats and dogs not really enough for an ep.
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited April 2017
    I clearly haven't seen what we have to come maybe something not related to the quarter I just feel like I'm stuck in the " are we getting this pack for real?" At the moment I think adding these stuff packs just made wanna quit playing TS4 pets or not, I'll still be confused on how this would be a better thing to give us before pets or not pets depending on the future.

The packs aren't the reason why we haven't gotten pets yet or whatever the next EP will be. Even if they didn't release these packs we still wouldn't be seeing the next EP for months.