Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Great! Back to dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Candyd wrote: »

What do you think of toddlers and vampires ?

I think we had to wait 3 years for content we should have had since day one, but they wasted the recourses on a failed game. Vampires are great. Also I'm guessing you are asking me this because these are the only GREAT things they have released?

No, I'm mentioning these things because they're what's been recently produced. There's been a really nice increase in quality.
    What needs to be taken into account is what's been very recently produced. Not things that were developed 2 to 3 years ago. Times have changed. Content went from disappointing to good. What counts is the present moment, not past content that simply can't be rebuilt.

OP never explicitly stated any timeframe. It would make sense to assume OP meant the standard release rate that the last two games both shared: one EP every ~6 months.

Two entire editions in the Sims franchise produced wonderful quality by using the 6 month timeframe. Suddenly, Sims 4 has surrendered that plan with little to no explanation as to why, and what's worse, the slow releases also tend to be rather bad releases rather than good ones.

You have no source for budget issues with Sims 4, but I agree it's at the very least a fairly rational conclusion. Yknow how you fix the problem? Increase the budget. No one has said we absolutely demand the team release packs at a breakneck speed; the rational conclusion is we want the old rate of packs back. If that old rate is currently impossible because EA needlessly slashed the budget of their most successful franchise in half...? Maybe they should raise the budget or hire a second EP team like they did for Sims 3.

Deadlines and angry customers are the enemy of good content. I know a lot about it. It brings only stress and failure.
    Maybe you forgot to remind a factor : this game keeps secrets more than any other previously released and it's obviously EA's choice. Keeping secrets means a very reduced opportunity for testing. That requires much more time for testing, and a much more reduced number of testers. And even then, there will be more bugs in the end. That kind of paranoia concerning secret doesn't help employees to create stable content, even worse when there are strict deadlines.
    But I'll tell you want, EA doesn't care. Instead, Maxis developers may feel personally targeted, for good reasons, and it hurts. I wouldn't like to be at their place.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member

I think we had to wait 3 years for content we should have had since day one, but they wasted the recourses on a failed game. Vampires are great. Also I'm guessing you are asking me this because these are the only GREAT things they have released?

No, I'm mentioning these things because they're what's been recently produced. There's been a really nice increase in quality.
    What needs to be taken into account is what's been very recently produced. Not things that were developed 2 to 3 years ago. Times have changed. Content went from disappointing to good. What counts is the present moment, not past content that simply can't be rebuilt.

OP never explicitly stated any timeframe. It would make sense to assume OP meant the standard release rate that the last two games both shared: one EP every ~6 months.

Two entire editions in the Sims franchise produced wonderful quality by using the 6 month timeframe. Suddenly, Sims 4 has surrendered that plan with little to no explanation as to why, and what's worse, the slow releases also tend to be rather bad releases rather than good ones.

You have no source for budget issues with Sims 4, but I agree it's at the very least a fairly rational conclusion. Yknow how you fix the problem? Increase the budget. No one has said we absolutely demand the team release packs at a breakneck speed; the rational conclusion is we want the old rate of packs back. If that old rate is currently impossible because EA needlessly slashed the budget of their most successful franchise in half...? Maybe they should raise the budget or hire a second EP team like they did for Sims 3.

Deadlines and angry customers are the enemy of good content. I know a lot about it. It brings only stress and failure.
    Maybe you forgot to remind a factor : this game keeps secrets more than any other previously released and it's obviously EA's choice. Keeping secrets means a very reduced opportunity for testing. That requires much more time for testing, and a much more reduced number of testers. And even then, there will be more bugs in the end. That kind of paranoia concerning secret doesn't help employees to create stable content, even worse when there are strict deadlines.
    But I'll tell you want, EA doesn't care. Instead, Maxis developers may feel personally targeted, for good reasons, and it hurts. I wouldn't like to be at their place.

Increased in quality? So after three years only now we are getting stuff worth our money?

Honestly the sims motto should be "The Sims 4, It could be worse"
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Dine Out was somewhat fun but compared to Sims 2's version it had some missing features. No family employees so no pay was needed therefore more profit was made and stuff. Also you can't do anything but walk around and welcome customers via the manager. This made it boring after a while because you couldn't do much. Thankfully with mods it can be fun with different themed restaurants, custom food/drinks and of course new interactions.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    aws200 wrote: »
    Dine Out was somewhat fun but compared to Sims 2's version it had some missing features. No family employees so no pay was needed therefore more profit was made and stuff. Also you can't do anything but walk around and welcome customers via the manager. This made it boring after a while because you couldn't do much. Thankfully with mods it can be fun with different themed restaurants, custom food/drinks and of course new interactions.

I got tired of it , cause my sims would just stand up before the food even got to the table.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

Not only this but It might not be a stretch to speculate that Maxis brought us all those free content patches in spite of EA.
    This might have been done on their own dime, meaning voluntary overtime, and payroll budgets that ate into everything else.

Granted this may not be the way things went down at all, but since we're speculating...might as well put it all out there...
    they might have given us all that stuff out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Increased in quality? So after three years only now we are getting stuff worth our money?

Honestly the sims motto should be "The Sims 4, It could be worse"

I'm just being honest here.
    I've never hidden my disappointment concerning the Sims 4 in general, and content released in the past as well. That doesn't prevent me from recognizing that not absolutely all content is like that. There are a few good things released too, and we got two excellent kinds of content lately. There is no shame in admitting both good and bad parts of the game, that's what constructive criticism is about. I see nothing constructive about seeing absolutely everything, even content universally admitted as good, under a negative light.
    It looks like whatever people are going to say, you're going to turn it into something negative anyway. I know that you've been hurt by the drop in content when the Sims 4 was released. I've been hurt too. But that means that constructive criticism and discussing new content is primordial and that means listening to each other and admitting both what's bad and what's good. Focusing on the negative only, turning even positive elements into negative stuff, and expressing anger no matter what, is nothing constructive and won't lead to anything good in the future in terms of content.
  • Options
    taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    Well..considering we got toddlers, vampires, and a couple other things.. I'm surprised at how quickly you fell back to despair. I hope something uplifts your spirits again. I know how it feels when a game you love doesn't .."do it for you" like it used to. Although I can't relate to your feelings now since I'm satisfied at the moment but hopefully you will receive that feeling of satisfaction somewhere. Hey, just tossing in a *dash* of optimism here but maybe it could come from the new SP. Maybe.

Have a nice day. :)
  • Options
    noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2017
    Ok, maybe it's just me...but I saw a picture of a "teaser" with a treadmill. Look, treadmills are nice, but how many treadmills do we need in this game? Considering that we always hear that resources are kind of limited, why on earth would energy be spent on recycling basically the same interactions and the same objects? Remember the backyard and patio packs?
    There are tons and tons of things that could be added to this game to keep it moving along...Toddlers was HUGE, but it seems that for every move forward, the game suddenly lunges backward.
    What happened ? In all the previous games there was no end to great new content, great new interactions, packs and EP's GALORE...and I bought them all. Now, it's "whoo hoo" over something that has another TREADMILL ???
    I'm sorry, I honestly like the game & I appreciate the amazing Sims franchise and it's development team <3 . So I'm not trying to attack them here. ( ok, but I'm trying to picture the brainstorming meeting where someone chimed in with " oh I know, let's make a new TREADMILL and add pretty colors" } ;)
    It's just that there are so many things they could do: pool tables, swings, roller skating, grocery store content, teachers, firemen, actors, news anchors, singers....and lot's of things others have been suggesting... that to see objects and behaviors that appear to be identical to what is already in the game, is well, really disappointing.

Post edited by noodlesandme on
  • Options
    RoseBud05RoseBud05 Posts: 14 New Member
    While it doesn't necessarily apply to me personally, a large chunk of family players feel like they haven't been catered to enough and so I'm happy they're getting a pack dedicated to their playstyle. (I tend to think just about every pack works with families, but they prefer their semantics, so whatever.)

As someone else mentioned the teaser only shows content through to June. We still have half a year left of surprises.

That's not so for me. There are a lot of details about family life that are left out like interactions among family members.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited April 2017
    Ok, maybe it's just me...but I saw a picture of a "teaser" with a treadmill. Look, treadmills are nice, but how many treadmills do we need in this game? Considering that we always hear that resources are kind of limited, why on earth would energy be spent on recycling basically the same interactions and the same objects? Remember the backyard and patio packs?
    There are tons and tons of things that could be added to this game to keep it moving along...Toddlers was HUGE, but it seems that for every move forward, the game suddenly lunges backward.
    What happened ? In all the previous games there was no end to great new content, great new interactions, packs and EP's GALORE...and I bought them all. Now, it's "whoo hoo" over something that has another TREADMILL ?

Finally some well reasoned constructive criticism.
    Agreed recyclcling is a no no..
    I notice about half the SP's feature that wall mounted speaker.
    That shouldn't be the case...it wouldn't kill them to toss us a few free recolors rather than try and pass the same object off as something new.

I hear ya loud and clear...recycling = bad.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm getting tired of one EP per year. Great for those who are excited about the family GP, but I was expecting pets... and an EP in general.

The stuff pack... so we are just getting stuff we already have? A-ma-zing!

This is getting ridiculously slow.

Do you prefer rushed and mediocre content, or very slow to release but great content (like toddlers) ?
    Between speed of release and quality, you've got to choose. You can't have both.

This argument needs to die.

Slow production =/= Guarenteed quality. It's possible for there to be a correlation, but it is not a guarentee. I'd remind you that Late Night and Ambitions were both made in half the time of GTW and City Living, and I got news for you: the quicker made EPs got better acclaim.

If we were getting absolutely amazing EPs once per year, you might not hear complaints if they were worth the weight.

Our last EP was a really pretty backdrop. The one before it was a concept that would synergize wonderfully with a fully fleshed out game...but we don't have a fully fleshed out game. (yet?) The one before that decided to mimic the general structure of one of Sims 3's least popular expansions (Showtime), and seemingly phoned in some of it's more unpolished features.

We are getting neither speedy development nor quality content from the EPs. That's the problem.

Huh.

City Living was more acclaimed than Late Night (by a fair bit) and Ambitions and Get To Work are basically the same (1 point difference).

What even, lol.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I just said in another thread that they should go back to at least two EP every year every six months with two EPs in between to give players something to look forward to every three months rather than some random new release that not everyone is going to afford at the same time :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Honestly I'll take the GPs over the EPs anyday. I've been literally excited about each and everyone of them including Spa Day. They just seem to bring something to the game that EPs are missing severely.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Side note: Why on earth was this topic moved to speculation and rumor? What is being speculated about here...?

I'm so confused why certain topics get moved off the general discussion page within hours, and other topics that would be better off moved end up staying on the general discussion page until they die.
  • Options
    Cathound01Cathound01 Posts: 69 Member
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    Side note: Why on earth was this topic moved to speculation and rumor? What is being speculated about here...?

I'm so confused why certain topics get moved off the general discussion page within hours, and other topics that would be better off moved end up staying on the general discussion page until they die.

Go back and read the original post.
    I'm getting tired of one EP per year.
    The stuff pack... so we are just getting stuff we already have?

Speculation.
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    I'm not angry with TS4 I'm just disappointed I expected more we got toddlers and then a buzz kill, sort of like a dead joke.
  • Options
    mmt3363 wrote: »

Yeah actually I've been asking myself the same question... idk how I'm speculating here
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    I just said in another thread that they should go back to at least two EP every year every six months with two EPs in between to give players something to look forward to every three months rather than some random new release that not everyone is going to afford at the same time :(

We have two years left still no pets OR weather ... so superstars, more supernaturals, university ... I would love to know what they are planning on doing with that. Wait for the sims 5?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I'm getting tired of one EP per year. Great for those who are excited about the family GP, but I was expecting pets... and an EP in general.

That is how I see it as well, I was also expecting Pets, not a stuff pack with Exercise stuff in it that we already have in game, so I wont be getting that Boring Sports pack, nope.
  • Options

That is how I see it as well, I was also expecting Pets, not a stuff pack with Exercise stuff in it that we already have in game, so I wont be getting that Boring Sports pack, nope.

Plus what's the point? They tried with basketball and failed miserably ... and yet another treadmill ... we got another one with Spa day
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

Plus what's the point? They tried with basketball and failed miserably ... and yet another treadmill ... we got another one with Spa day

Yup they should add in More gothic type stuff instead of re-adding stuff already in the game like treadmills, at least with gothic stuff I would use that since I am a gothic type player?
  • Options

Yup they should add in More gothic type stuff instead of re-adding stuff already in the game like treadmills, at least with gothic stuff I would use that since I am a gothic type player?

plus ... we got a treadmill in spa day
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

that is why I said they are adding in stuff that is already in the game, if your like Me and got all the packs so far, then Yes you would have that already, but I do not think I will be getting the next stuff pack when it has stuff in it I already got in My game, that is just wasting money for Me, and since I am on a budget, I can not afford to waste My money on stuff I already got, nope.
  • Options

that is why I said they are adding in stuff that is already in the game, if your like Me and got all the packs so far, then Yes you would have that already, but I do not think I will be getting the next stuff pack when it has stuff in it I already got in My game, that is just wasting money for Me, and since I am on a budget, I can not afford to waste My money on stuff I already got, nope.

Fair enough... can't blame you.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    The thing some people need to remember is that they announce EPs months in advance. So by that logic we would've gotten an announcement before the teaser trailer if Pets were to be released within this quarter. Now to remain optimistic we could say that Pets may be announced sometime within this quarter(probably near the end).
    1FKDfKj.png